Party Zone, new pinball

Steve Baumgarten

Sep 4, 1991, 6:58:39 PM9/4/91
In article <1991Sep4.1...@csusac.csus.edu> doo...@athena.ecs.csus.edu (Sam messin w/ Unix) writes:

Either everyone thinks it's really bad, or I'm just the first
person to see it...

It's still rare -- and dang it, my favorite arcade doesn't have it
yet. And here I thought they got *all* the latest games. On the
other hand, they *did* just get a Bally game, though not PARTY ZONE.
They just got a PARAGON, and in pretty decent condition. First time
I've played a wide body in ages, and the game still holds up really
well. Some contrast, though, going between PARAGON and T2. Things
have sped up some in the years since solid state games made their
debut....

At the local arcade last week, a new pinball, Party Zone arrived,
made by Bally (not DE, thank goodness. the local arcade gave up
after 72 complaints about The Simpsons and TMNT).

They don't have BATMAN yet, right? Data East earned back a lot of my
respect recently with BATMAN -- I'm almost becoming addicted to it.
In fact, if it weren't for T2 and my burning desire to be able to
break 200M points at will (it's still a fairly rare event for me,
alas), I'd be playing BATMAN nearly non-stop. It still sucks quarters
more than I'd like, but the sound and music are phenomenal, and the
game play is not bad at all -- and excellent for Data East.

But I'd still love to see a PARTY ZONE. None in NYC yet, but I'm
checking every few days... :-)

--
Steve Baumgarten | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
Davis Polk & Wardwell | remember, we were way ahead of you."

Denny Powers

Sep 4, 1991, 11:46:17 PM9/4/91
The Boulder Boardwalk, on 13th St. "on the hill" in Boulder, has
the Party Zone. I think it's pretty good, after playing about twenty
games. I also think the game is almost too easy -- perhaps it's just
the massive score inflation that makes it feel like that, as well as
being new and not having a high replay score yet. My high score is
98 million, but the machine high score is around 450 mil. Still, when
I walk in at 11 AM when they first open, the replay score is 7 or 8 mil,
which is pitifully easy to attain. When I left yesterday, I had to leave
a credit on it because I was late for class. I played for nearly an hour
on 4 tokens (5 for a buck at this place).
Williams should have put a little more variety in the sounds, such as
the "party animal," "party monster," and "party dude," which get really
tiresome the 30th or 40th time through. The Supersonic Robotic Comic
is kinda funny, but again, repetitive. Same for the Dance Contest crash
dummy. I left yesterday still liking the game, but I think I'll play T2
for a while so I don't burn out on PZ.
By the way, if any of you ever get to Boulder for any reason, check out
this arcade. There are mostly video games, but the four or five pinballs
are always kept in immaculate condition, and the operator is very eager
to respond to customer feedback. Right now they have T2, PZ, Gilligan's
Island, and a nice Big Guns machine. They also have the new Williams
baseball game, which is pretty neat too, but it's not pinball (well,
it bears a resemblance).

Denny Powers
pow...@spot.colorado.edu

John Johnson

Sep 6, 1991, 12:39:14 AM9/6/91
I sorta liked this machine, but I felt it was a bit too easy. On the left
flipper shots, the difficulty is almost trivial, since the ball will deflect
off the targets and into whatever the laff attack thing is called, and then
the ball comes down to the right flipper, where you have a relatively easy
shot at a very wide ramp on the far left. Basically, after a couple balls of
practice, you can keep it going back and forth quite a while. The only thing
I didn't appreciate on this game is that when the ball got popped out of the
thing in the center of the field, it often went down the side alley. Sort of
a cheap deal, so I just stopped going for that shot.

John

Rob M Rosenhouse

Sep 15, 1991, 8:52:49 PM9/15/91
Can anyone help me find a PARTY ZONE pinball in New Jersey, New York,
or Pennsylvania. (I'd walk a mile for a new pinball). While we're
on the subject, how about a rule sheet for this new game?

Rob Rosenhouse
pinbal...@cup.portal.com
(I think that where I am.....)

Ken_J_...@cup.portal.com

Sep 16, 1991, 10:08:24 PM9/16/91
Well Rob, there is this new arcade/sports center (they have batting cages,
bumper cars, skee ball, miniture golf, billiards, and plenty more) called
SportsPark USA, in Union NJ (right off of Rt 22). They have about 100
video games (mostly sports/racing related) plus 8 or 9 pinball machines. I
an not sure if they have Party Zone, I'll check the next time I am there.
BTW, they just changed the pinball games so you get 5 balls per game. I
was playing Gilligans Island, they have it set up with 5 balls per game,
but it is 2 tokens for the first game, and then a token each for the next
two games. No free games are given, just a free ball over 8.5 mill.
Also no free game with a match at the end. Overall I was happy because
I havent seen a game with 5 balls unless the machine was about 10 years
old.
Ken