Johnny Mnemonic Hand Fault.

DJ

Sep 20, 2009, 8:32:48 AM9/20/09
I had a look at a friend's JM today which is having a problem with the
the hand not holding the ball. The VUK fires the ball into the hand
where it will hold it for a split second and then drops it. The hand
passes the self test for movement and I can steer the hand left-right
back forward without a problem it just doesn't seem to have enough
strength to hold the ball. Hand coil measures 3.2 ohms which I would
have thought should right, glove switch tests fine during the switch
test with ball located in hole. Connector and transistors which drive
coil measure alright. During a solenoid test, with the ball located
underneath the coil, it will briefly pull the ball in and then release
it. VUK appears to be lined up with glove coil and ball enters the
coil. Have also tried some adjustments to the X,Y positions in setup
but did not help.

Has anyone come across this problem before?

intrepid

Sep 20, 2009, 11:00:32 AM9/20/09
Go to http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=3683 and look for service
bulletin #85. It's a troubleshooting bulletin for the magnet not
holding the ball.

good luck

Loanguy717

Sep 20, 2009, 11:33:34 AM9/20/09
On Sep 20, 10:00 am, intrepid <kemor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Go to  http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=3683and look for service

> bulletin #85. It's a troubleshooting bulletin for the magnet not
> holding the ball.
>
> good luck

There is a switch up there that might be causing the issue as well.
Check the switch in test mode.

DJ

Sep 20, 2009, 7:00:11 PM9/20/09
Thanks for the reply. I have followed the service bulletin for the
magnet but it did not help fix the problem. I also checked the switch
in the hand as mentioned in the bulletin. Is there any other
suggestions I could try?

On Sep 21, 1:33 am, Loanguy717 <loanguy7171...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Sep 20, 10:00 am, intrepid <kemor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Go to  http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=3683andlook for service

pinrad

Sep 20, 2009, 7:47:36 PM9/20/09
You may want to double check the wiring from the magnet to the
connector - the wire may have got "pinched" at one point and it may
have a break that affects the magnet when the hand starts to move.

LTG suggested this to me when I had a problem with the hand magnet
being tempermental. He diagnosed my problem correctly.

Conrad.

paragon66x

Sep 20, 2009, 11:12:04 PM9/20/09

Yup - run new wires for the magnet. These break internally over time
from the harness moving back and forth with the hand. John