"Breaking News"-how does this affect Roms?

Dan

Mar 31, 2005, 2:31:51 PM3/31/05
In light of the GREAT news (congrats Wayne) I am wondering how this deal
affects current roms for the myriad of wms/bally games out there. Is it now
Wayne's decision whether or not roms can be fixed/updated/added to?

---Dan

kirb

Mar 31, 2005, 3:25:48 PM3/31/05
>I am wondering how this deal affects current roms for the >myriad of
wms/bally games out there

I'd be more interested on how it affects home roms already out there. I
doubt that WMS as a company would have those or would let them out.

Kirb

Mr Pinball Australia

Mar 31, 2005, 7:59:54 PM3/31/05
The roms images will remain and we will work to fix any software bugs if we
have that games sourcecode.

Regards
Wayne Gillard

Mr Pinball Australia Pty Ltd
4/993 North Road
Murrumbeena, Victoria, Australia 3163
Tel: 613-9579-0466
Fax: 613-9579-0422
Website: www.mrpinball.com.au
Email: sa...@mrpinball.com.au

"kirb" <kirb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Matt S.

Apr 1, 2005, 4:49:24 AM4/1/05
Shoot, we can't ask for more than that. :)

SpamInACan

Apr 1, 2005, 6:13:56 AM4/1/05
Hmmm, I question whether the return for such a fix versus the effort required
would be financially viable. Especially considering that the effort might be
better off spent crunching code for a new machine/OS etc.

Having said that, the prospect of a fix for the Johnny Mnemonic spinner rape
however remote is tantalizing.

I used to entertain a fantasy whereby WMS would release the source code for
older games under GPL or something, so that those of us who had the inclination
could setup a 6809 development environment and tinker around to our hearts
content.

"Mr Pinball Australia" <sa...@mrpinball.com.au> wrote in message

TheKorn

Apr 1, 2005, 9:26:31 AM4/1/05
"SpamInACan" <spaminacan at internode dot on dot net> wrote in

> Hmmm, I question whether the return for such a fix versus the effort
> required would be financially viable. Especially considering that the
> effort might be better off spent crunching code for a new machine/OS
> etc.

By iteself, it's fairly worthless (from a business standpoint). But you
have to learn how to work the system and debug it on something; might as
well start with a relatively good known codebase.

(i.e. nothing sucks worse than trying to learn the language without a good
reference.)

pinballjim

Apr 1, 2005, 10:46:06 AM4/1/05

Mr Pinball Australia wrote:
> The roms images will remain and we will work to fix any software bugs
if we
> have that games sourcecode.
>
> Regards
> Wayne Gillard

Why not just release the source code? Everyone and his dog already has
the ROM images, and if you release a new ROM and try to sell it, the
first guy that buys it will spread it around the world in 2 seconds.

There's no money to be made screwing around with those, do the right
thing and make the source public domain.

Joseph A. Tony Dziedzic

Apr 1, 2005, 11:57:50 AM4/1/05
Source code to *what*? Based on some sniffing and some reports from others,
the ROM includes both the game rules as well as the underlying "operating
system" code. Game-specific code (rules) is not terribly useful without the
latter, and giving away the latter is not a wise idea in terms of intellectual
property rights. Even though it appears Wayne is using his own "Aussie grown"
code there's no reason they wouldn't be able (and want to) "borrow" bits from
the Williams code base.

Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic

In article <1112370366....@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,

JC

Apr 1, 2005, 12:50:21 PM4/1/05
I was going to make the same suggestion, although perhaps a tad more
tactfully... :-)

Only the uber-dedicated pin geeks will *work* on source code. So
there's little to worry about in terms of who gets it. However, Wayne
might have concerns about what ends up being presented as a Bally
product on route. A compromise might be to license rights to tweak the
code of certain games to a group of dedicated people with the
understanding that any 'release' has to be approved.

That way, game code could be adjusted to 'perfection'. And, perhaps,
someone might attempt an ambitous re-write to create a home ROM version
of Arabian Nights...

-JC-

Steve Prendergast

Apr 1, 2005, 2:01:10 PM4/1/05
When I first read ROM updates, the first thing I thought of was TOTAN home
ROMS. :)

--
-Steve P.

"JC" <jhe...@clappmoroney.com> wrote in message

pinballjim

Apr 1, 2005, 2:05:03 PM4/1/05
> Game-specific code (rules) is not terribly useful without the
> latter, and giving away the latter is not a wise idea in terms of
intellectual
> property rights.

The idea that some manufacturer is suddenly going to spring out of the
woodwork solely because they got their hands on the WPC OS is
delusional thinking at its best.

There's nothing magical about it, and plenty of other programmers
figured out how to drive a DMD on their own.

Wayne won't make a dime off of that code and it sure would be a shame
to see that box of floppy diskettes get lost.

pinballjim at hotmail dot com

MacMan

Apr 1, 2005, 2:11:11 PM4/1/05

I think you'll find that Wayne doesn't OWN the code but has the license
to use it. I would think that it will still be up to Williams to release
it into the PD. I may be wrong.

I thought the only reason that Wayne would have the code would be to
convert it to his system if he decided to remake a pin.

Again, I could be wrong!

Cheers
Macman

Joseph A. Tony Dziedzic

Apr 1, 2005, 4:15:28 PM4/1/05
Who said anything about another manufacturer springing out of the woodwork?

It's all about patent portfolios. Williams has patents covering concepts
implemented in the WPC base code. Those might be useful someday if Williams
needed to defend a patent infringement lawsuit. Don't snicker; a lot of that
type of swapping goes on in the software-related industry all the time.

Perhaps no magic lies in Lyman's code, but some pretty sophisticated stuff
there none the less; WAY more than simply driving a DMD.

Tony

In article <1112381691.0...@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,