My 2016 Pinball Expo seminar

Duncan Brown

Sep 20, 2016, 9:55:11 AM9/20/16
I was being cagey about this before, until the official Expo seminar
schedule came out, but now it's official and you won't want to miss it:

"From The Lost Playfield Drawings Of Harry Williams: A Pinball Machine
40 Years In The Making"

I have in my hands a playfield design that Harry Williams drew in 1972,
but which was never made. In fact I have a big pile of such designs,
and the long and entertaining story behind that fact should make for an
interesting seminar. But even better is the fact that I am BUILDING
this design into a playable whitewood, which will be at the seminar, and
then in the freeplay area afterwards for all to play.

Built by hand, and "programmed" with steppers and relays, this is as
close as I can make it to what would have come out of the whitewood lab
back in the 1970s if these designs hadn't been shelved.

Even if your interest is only with multi-level, multi-ball, speech-ified
games with licensed themes, immersing yourself in some long-lost
examples of the genius of Harry Williams for an hour could be an
eye-opening experience.

Duncan

calv...@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2016, 10:48:42 AM9/20/16
very cool

railbender

Sep 20, 2016, 11:01:23 AM9/20/16
On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 7:55:11 AM UTC-6, Duncan Brown wrote:
> I was being cagey about this before, until the official Expo seminar
> schedule came out, but now it's official and you won't want to miss it:
>
> "From The Lost Playfield Drawings Of Harry Williams: A Pinball Machine
> 40 Years In The Making"

I can't go but really want to see the presentation and hear the story. Is this going to be recorded or filmed? I hope so!

Really cool that you took this on.

Kenny

Duncan Brown

Sep 20, 2016, 11:12:40 AM9/20/16
You know, every year I see them filming all the seminars, but I don't
know what becomes of those recordings. Anyone know?

Duncan

flippy

Sep 20, 2016, 11:54:55 AM9/20/16
Duncan Brown <dun...@ledgaming.com> wrote in news:nrrf3k$16gr$1
@gioia.aioe.org:

> I was being cagey about this before, until the official Expo seminar
> schedule came out, but now it's official and you won't want to miss it:
>
> "From The Lost Playfield Drawings Of Harry Williams: A Pinball Machine
> 40 Years In The Making"

I've been looking forward to this ever since you started
showing pics of the playfield creation process.

flippy

Sep 20, 2016, 11:58:54 AM9/20/16
Duncan Brown <dun...@ledgaming.com> wrote in news:nrrjkt$1f0t$1
@gioia.aioe.org:
http://www.pinballnews.com/

Pinball News has been hosting mp3's of the seminars
for the last several years.

Butterflygirl24

Sep 20, 2016, 1:43:52 PM9/20/16
Awesome Duncan!! Sounds cool can't wait to see it, and you :-) at Expo!!

Phoebe
CARGPB#38

Gott Lieb?

Sep 20, 2016, 2:21:37 PM9/20/16
On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 9:55:11 AM UTC-4, Duncan Brown wrote:
Excellent! I really did not have a genuine appreciation for Harry Williams and the games he produced, until I realized all of the stuff that he made. That, and the article from Look from the early 60's, which you posted some years ago. Harry was definitely an innovator, and some of his work is just brilliant in his golden years at Stern.

Jim

Frank Furhter

Sep 20, 2016, 2:25:38 PM9/20/16
Harking back to a barking day, its old man's way.
With EMs on location all but dead, and dead man's walking in proxy with
the Dunkster, this seminar should be nothing short of a spectacle on
what not to do with your time during your very own end game.

--
The Frankster, a playfield prankster
Once upon my crank her ballpark shrank.

Frank Furhter

Sep 20, 2016, 2:26:22 PM9/20/16
Hoarding of information for the archives.

Nicholas Baldridge

Sep 20, 2016, 5:10:56 PM9/20/16
On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 9:55:11 AM UTC-4, Duncan Brown wrote:
Duncan, this is amazing. I hope to be able to hear the seminar at some point (and see more photos as it progresses)!

-Nick

Duncan Brown

Sep 21, 2016, 8:11:42 PM9/21/16

Peter Morrison

Jul 7, 2021, 6:08:10 PM7/7/21
On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 9:55:11 AM UTC-4, Duncan Brown wrote:
This is a long shot. I've been asked to help with a Visual Pinball (digital) recreation of Tramway so people can enjoy it. There's an image in your Harry Williams lost playfield designs post from a while back, which is a fascinating read. Do you have the Tramway PF image without the backglass covering up the lower part of the playfield. For this project I'll redraw the playfield and plastics in Illustrator, and improve the resolution of the backglass image I found. Thanks for considering it. You can email me directly at voxpi...@gmail.com. Pete