Help figuring out diagram for 110vac on newer Stern

DugFreez

Jun 2, 2010, 3:03:58 AM6/2/10
I'm looking to have a harness made to plug in a Beta Brite topper
to a Stern Spider-Man.

I now have the topper plugged into the service outlet and I'm using
a power strip to turn the machine (including the topper) on and off.
This isn't a very good solution for me because I also have an arcade
machine on this strip and if I want to play it I have to also turn the
Spider-Man on. A much easier solution is to have the topper only get
power when the machine is powered on. I know Pinball Life used to sell
a harness for this purpose but now they don't.

I thought they plugged into a harness near the coin door but I'm
not sure. I know the power adapter for the Beta Brite says it's input
is 120vac and it's output is 7.5vdc. I don't believe 7.5vdc is
available anywhere in the machine so I guess jumping off the full
voltage (and using the Beta Brite power adapter) is required.

Does anyone know if there are any other available harnesses that
could be used to power this sign up?

I actually think I found the correct bill acceptor harness in the
machine....but it seems to be pinned differently than what the manual
reads....or I'm reading something wrong which is completely possible.

Here is a picture from the manual:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f231/dugfreez/Public/CoinDoordiagram.jpg

I have the section that I think the manual is talking about the
harness circled. I have drawn a diagram of how my harness is wired in
the top left corner. All the connectors look the same except the White
- Black is moves from the 8th position to the 6th. Could anyone else
look at their harness in the coin door to see if it is pinned like the
manual or like my diagram?

I know very little about reading diagrams....am I correct in
thinking that the Black - White wire is the neutral I would use and
the White - Black is the hot I would use to wire an outlet? I'm not
really sure what "TO POWER BOX IN CABINET" means and is 110vac what I
would want for the Beta Brite sign.

I also have no ides where to find the correct female molex plug to
use for this harness. Any tips there? How about a 2 plug polarized
outlet to wire to the other end?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me. What I'm sure would be a
simple task for others, is an epic one for me.

- Doug

Pin - K

Jun 2, 2010, 10:03:49 AM6/2/10
What I have done on a few games is to wire the Service Outlet to NOT
always be Hot when the game is plugged in, in other words it turns on
& off with the Cabinet Switch. In some of our Pins I use this method
to power a separate Audio Amplifier for the main cabinet Woofer.

You may also be ale to get away with using the cabinet 12V (which is
switched) and putting in a resistor to drop the voltage to 7.5V &
doing away with the transformer altogether.

Let me know how it works out.

Pin - K

phishrace

Jun 2, 2010, 2:29:10 PM6/2/10
On Jun 2, 12:03 am, DugFreez <dugfr...@live.com> wrote:
>    I'm looking to have a harness made to plug in a Beta Brite topper
> to a Stern Spider-Man.
>
>    I now have the topper plugged into the service outlet and I'm using
> a power strip to turn the machine (including the topper) on and off.
> This isn't a very good solution for me because I also have an arcade
> machine on this strip and if I want to play it I have to also turn the
> Spider-Man on. A much easier solution is to have the topper only get
> power when the machine is powered on. I know Pinball Life used to sell
> a harness for this purpose but now they don't.
>
>    I thought they plugged into a harness near the coin door but I'm
> not sure. I know the power adapter for the Beta Brite says it's input
> is 120vac and it's output is 7.5vdc. I don't believe 7.5vdc is
> available anywhere in the machine so I guess jumping off the full
> voltage (and using the Beta Brite power adapter) is required.
>
>   Does anyone know if there are any other available harnesses that
> could be used to power this sign up?
>
>   I actually think I found the correct bill acceptor harness in the
> machine....but it seems to be pinned differently than what the manual
> reads....or I'm reading something wrong which is completely possible.
>
>   Here is a picture from the manual:
>
> http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f231/dugfreez/Public/CoinDoordiagra...

>   I have the section that I think the manual is talking about the
> harness circled. I have drawn a diagram of how my harness is wired in
> the top left corner. All the connectors look the same except the White
> - Black is moves from the 8th position to the 6th. Could anyone else
> look at their harness in the coin door to see if it is pinned like the
> manual or like my diagram?
>
>    I know very little about reading diagrams....am I correct in
> thinking that the Black - White wire is the neutral I would use and
> the White - Black is the hot I would use to wire an outlet? I'm not
> really sure what "TO POWER BOX IN CABINET" means and is 110vac what I
> would want for the Beta Brite sign.
>
>   I also have no ides where to find the correct female molex plug to
> use for this harness. Any tips there? How about a 2 plug polarized
> outlet to wire to the other end?
>
>   Thanks for any help anyone can give me. What I'm sure would be a
> simple task for others, is an epic one for me.
>
>     - Doug

Black moved because you're looking at the wrong end of the connector.
Turn it around and it will match your manual.

It is pretty simple.

1. Cut off plug end of display cord as close to plug as possible

2. Strip ends and crimp on two molex female pins (I believe they're .
093")

3. Insert female pins into 9 pin female molex connector with hot
(white with black stripe) connecting to the ribbed or striped wire on
the display side and the other connected to black with a white stripe.

4. Connect male and female 9 pin connectors together

5. Turn on game

This might help:

http://marvin3m.com/connect/index.htm

If I can find the correct cords available locally, maybe I'll make up
a batch of them. I'll email you if I do.

-phish

metallik

Jun 2, 2010, 2:38:36 PM6/2/10
> This isn't a very good solution for me because I also have an arcade
> machine on this strip and if I want to play it I have to also turn the
> Spider-Man on. A much easier solution is to have the topper only get
> power when the machine is powered on. I know Pinball Life used to sell

The easiest solution is another powerstrip plugged into the first
powerstrip.. ;)

DugFreez

Jun 3, 2010, 2:11:04 AM6/3/10

phish, I would be more than happy to buy a couple from you if you
make them up. That's all I was hoping for in the first place. When I
have a problem that is over my head I would rather throw some money at
it than pull my hair out trying to figure it out myself...and probably
destroying things in the process.

As far as looking at the wrong end of the connector or it being
turned the wrong way....I don't see how that is possible. Look at the
diagram that is from the manual and look at how they are in my game.
It doesn't mater how you twist, turn or flip either connection...they
don't match. In the manual diagram the BLACK and the WHITE-BLACK are
opposite of each other. On my machine the BLACK-WHITE is opposite of
the WHITE-BLACK. No flipping or twisting is going to change that. If
they did actually wire up this harness 2 different ways I guess you
could always have both the 6 and 8 holes going to the 110vac hot to
handle either types of harness.

I talked to another RPGer tonight that is interested in an adapter
for this purpose also. He was saying there was several different ways
of doing it but neither he or I was interested in A) modifying our
machines wiring or B) cutting the power adapter from the Beat Brite to
wire it into the game. We basically want to ADD a standard 2 plug
polarized outlet via this harness.

It seem this harness would have uses above and beyond Beta Brite
toppers. Anything anyone would want to plug into a standard outlet and
power on when the machine did could be used. Toppers, mods, lighting.
The main issue would be making sure each machines harness was wired
the same and the correct pins for the Neutral and Hot 110vac were in
the same location for everyone.

Here is a pic of how the harness looks in my Black Spider-Man. The
hole on the left marked with the white circle is the BLACK-WHITE wire
(+110vac Neutral) and the black circle on the right is the WHITE-BLACK
wire (+110vac Hot).

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f231/dugfreez/Public/harness.jpg

What I'm really hoping to hear from people now is if this is how
their harnesses look on their Sterns (SAM and White Star)? I'd also
like to know where to find a molex harness end that would plug into
this (notice the 3 "corner cut-off" sections) and also if anyone knows
were I could get standard 2 plug polarized outlets to wire to this?