STERN!!!! Put out a REAL Tron video already!!!

Eric A.

May 19, 2011, 10:44:19 AM5/19/11
Am I the only one that can't figure this out? With all the technology
we have available to us in this day and age there is really no excuse
for it!

.....(shaking head)

Rogerman

May 19, 2011, 10:49:03 AM5/19/11

maybe its just that bad they don't want us to see it before they sell
out lol

Rog

twinmice

May 19, 2011, 10:52:18 AM5/19/11

Kind of like when studios know the movie they are putting out is bad,
they use alot of hype and advertising to get you in there?

Pappy Boyington

May 19, 2011, 10:54:51 AM5/19/11

I think the fact that the units are selling so fast and so early has
them thinking "why show a video at this point". When the sells start
slowing down I think you will then see a video. Either way they are
going to be shipping any day now, so somebody will be posting a video
soon.

Rich Wiski

Pappy Boyington

May 19, 2011, 10:59:38 AM5/19/11

Do you honestly believe that they think they have a dog and they are
milking it for that reason?

That's "laughable" (there is my overused RGP word of the month).

Rich Wiski

Rare Hero

May 19, 2011, 11:05:09 AM5/19/11
Man, people are impatient....maybe the game isn't finished yet!?

Greg

mnpinball

May 19, 2011, 11:09:06 AM5/19/11

As discussed last week.........the official promo vid will be up later
today or tomorrow.

Adm56

May 19, 2011, 11:36:43 AM5/19/11

Maybe this is the old 'Don't kill sales on your current machine by
advertising your next machine' bit? Not that it makes sense in this
day and age but pinball folks tend to be old school.

pinhead72

May 19, 2011, 12:02:51 PM5/19/11
Jesus people relax...the video takes some time to put together, it's
not ready yet.

Jess

Lloyd Olson

May 19, 2011, 12:07:13 PM5/19/11
Damnit Jess. This is pinball. This isn't time to relax. This is time to be
in a bitching frenzy ! LTG :)

"pinhead72" <jesse...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Gary Martin

May 19, 2011, 12:20:57 PM5/19/11
Heh, I take a lot of video of our Christmas display (parksidechristmas.com) and it takes me WEEKS to get it all edited, synched to music, titles added, trailers, etc.

Raw video is easy to make. A polished product takes time. (and a LOT of time to render the final product too!)

pinhead72

May 19, 2011, 12:27:02 PM5/19/11
LOL! LLoyd..your so right!! ; )

yancy

May 19, 2011, 12:39:18 PM5/19/11
On May 19, 10:05 am, Rare Hero <rarehero...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Man, people are impatient.

Indeed. I paid for an LE, and I don't care when or even if a video is
released. I'll see the game when I see it.

Yancy

MHS

May 19, 2011, 12:43:56 PM5/19/11
On May 19, 12:20 pm, Gary Martin <gary.mart...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Heh, I take a lot of video of our Christmas display (parksidechristmas.com) and it takes me WEEKS to get it all edited, synched to music, titles added, trailers, etc.
>
> Raw video is easy to make.   A polished product takes time.  (and a LOT of time to render the final product too!)

+1

jp

May 19, 2011, 12:56:42 PM5/19/11

It's a tease, of course.

VectorInvader

May 19, 2011, 12:56:26 PM5/19/11

What? you don't just push a button?
I am a videographer for weddings, so I know it takes time. We will see
a video soon.

--
VectorInvader
This USENET post sent from http://rgparchive.com

Eric A.

May 19, 2011, 1:05:39 PM5/19/11

Yeah but some of us like to see stuff to see if we want to go out and
buy it like I did when I saw the vid Korn shot of POTC. We all aren't
TRON geeks like.... er.... um.... some people out there are ;-)

Max Badazz

May 19, 2011, 1:08:23 PM5/19/11
> Am I the only one that can't figure this out?

Possibly :)

Keep in mind who the license owner is (Disney). And keep in mind the
headache they had with POTC and final approval. If they have not
received the final ok from Disney on the artwork, then they are smart
by not showing most of the artwork, or music, etc.

Chris (in NH)
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/maxbadazz

Eric A.

May 19, 2011, 1:11:01 PM5/19/11
On May 19, 12:20 pm, Gary Martin <gary.mart...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Heh, I take a lot of video of our Christmas display (parksidechristmas.com) and it takes me WEEKS to get it all edited, synched to music, titles added, trailers, etc.
>
> Raw video is easy to make.   A polished product takes time.  (and a LOT of time to render the final product too!)

Yeah, I know it takes time but don't you think the time spent making
that BS disney pinball promo would have better spent working on
something that actually had the real game in it?

Just a little anxious and excited is all..... and with Stern's FB Nazi
deleting posts all the time I guess I'm just a little miffed.

Eric A.

May 19, 2011, 1:12:06 PM5/19/11
On May 19, 12:56 pm, VectorInvader <ddm...@live.com> wrote:
> What? you don't just push a button?
> I am a videographer for weddings, so I know it takes time. We will see
> a video soon.

Yeah "there's a heck of a lot more to it than that." :-) (Great quote
from Groundhog Day)

John

May 19, 2011, 1:52:02 PM5/19/11
I don't know, I suppose it doesn't seem like complaining to some.
But with folks in a frenzy to figure out whether or not to throw out
$5k+ on the LE, cause it's already sold out (at least to
distributors), I think it would have been a good business idea to have
some representation of how the game plays available first. That
said, I guess it doesn't matter if it's already sold out.

In this case seems like if we wait to actually play one or wait to
hear reviews the prices will be jacked up significantly. So if you
can't take that leap of faith like a hundred people and few
distributors did, than it could literally cost you $500-10000 bucks
more to wait. So I see the whole thing as kind of sad really.

It's high stakes decisions for many. If any of the above makes
sense, I can't see complaining too much about folks wanting to see the
game in action.

AFM_TZ

May 19, 2011, 2:26:16 PM5/19/11

John hit it spot on. Simple really, some potential buyers waiting on
the sidelines, just want confirmation before diving in, while they
watch the unknown game getting snatched up (last i heard, only 20 LEs
left). Remember although Stern is nearly sold out of LE, distributors
are still buying beyond client orders, so they may still be
available.

(I dove it by the way - Slot machine baby!).

Any moment today / tomorrow i am hoping for the video. No matter what
we see, there will still be alot left to the imagination - i dont
think it will really get me any closer to knowing if its a good pin or
not, that only comes from playing it.

Case in point - watched SM videos before i got one - didnt like it and
regretted it on its way over. After playing, love it.
LOTR - watched videos, loved it, ordered one, played it, sent it back!
RFM the same - liked the videos, played it, couldnt stand it.

Lloyd Olson

May 19, 2011, 3:18:57 PM5/19/11
You can't blame stern for this one. You have to have a game far enough along
to shoot a good video, then shoot it, edit it, it may need Disney's
approval, and then put it up.

Seems they are doing the best they can on this one.

They probably hoped the teaser would buy them more time. LTG :)

"John" <joh...@comcast.net> wrote in message

kirb

May 19, 2011, 3:27:53 PM5/19/11

A LITTLE miffed? You are on a Stern headhunt if you read your FB
page.

Chill out, man. It's just a game.

BrianJ

May 19, 2011, 4:07:23 PM5/19/11
Just another 'let me sound cool by bitching about stern' thread :)

If you're interested you're interested, if you're not you're not. A
stupid video or picture of a flyer isn't going to change that at this
point.

Message has been deleted

apimo...@yahoo.com

May 19, 2011, 6:23:38 PM5/19/11

Yeah, and we know Stern NEVER releases something unfinished. Nope, no
sir.

underlord

May 19, 2011, 6:58:22 PM5/19/11

Says you. How much dinero did you put down on a Tron LE? Are you an
'interested' or not. ;)

--Rick.

underlord

May 19, 2011, 7:16:03 PM5/19/11

I WANT MY MTV, er, STERN!

Eric A.

May 19, 2011, 11:05:28 PM5/19/11
>A LITTLE miffed? You are on a Stern headhunt if you read your FB
>page.

Nope no head hunt just pissed they deleted a post that wasn't anything
more than asking where the vid was they promised. Is wanting to see
something in a real vid before I dove in really asking too much?

Eric A.
313-268-0541

Eric A.

May 19, 2011, 11:12:23 PM5/19/11
On Thu, 19 May 2011 13:07:23 -0700 (PDT), BrianJ <bso...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Really mister know it all? I LOVE Stern Pinball!

I've personally bought 6 nib sterns (LOTR, Elvis, POTC, FmG, AvLE,
BDK) and bought 2 huo games (rebought Elvis and WOF). I'm not bashing
"Stern" just the PR methods they're doing this go around. Stop the
tempting/teasing and give up the vid already!

Lets see the flow of the game , the "mixmaster", etc.

After all I went out and bought POTC after seeing Korn's vid for
cripes sake!

Eric A.
313-268-0541

Eric A.

May 19, 2011, 11:15:05 PM5/19/11
On Thu, 19 May 2011 14:46:57 -0700 (PDT), Olde Fort Pub
<oldef...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On May 19, 10:44 am, "Eric A." <eavedes...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Am I the only one that can't figure this out? With all the technology
>> we have available to us in this day and age there is really no excuse
>> for it!
>>
>> .....(shaking head)
>

>Dude are you serious Stern is with the technology. They have teenage
>girls running their facebook, and who knows FB better than them, they
>have cell phone videos of their games in action, and modern cell
>phones have great picture quality, the pins themselves are about
>almost as tech as early to mid 90's Sega and DE, which were kinda
>cool, they have mastered the technology of adobe photoshop, which
>isn't always easy - sometimes I find it difficult to make fonts curve
>and stuff, they figured out how to take HD quality movie clips and
>condense them down to glorious 128x32 dots in multiple shades of
>orange, they have the themes from the coolest bands, from the 60's,
>and cool sci fi themes from the early 80's! They are obviously riding
>the on the coattails of the success of Tron, coming to a theater last
>year. Now pony up 6 grand, cuz there is 6 grand worth of technology
>and fun in that package. Many of the more popular games are also
>fetching higher prices than they were originally sold for NIB, which
>is good.

Not following your point....I'm agreeing with the fact that the
technology IS there. So get on it!

But the dumb thing I didn't think of was the approval from
Disney....Hmmmmm maybe that's it.

Eric A.
313-268-0541

Message has been deleted

AFM_TZ

May 20, 2011, 11:54:11 AM5/20/11
On May 20, 11:40 am, cyphur <bwrightm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all, we should have the first machine on display in Seattle on the
> weekend of the June 3rd, 1 week before the launch. Gary Stern will be
> present for the show (nwpinballshow.com) We had our distributor call
> Stern to see what the status is and from my understanding the length
> of time to churn out a machine has been dramatically reduced by Gary
> from 6 months to 3. Current issue is game sound/audio for the machine
> which is causing them grief. Gary had to pull Lyman Sheets and another
> guy in to get the sound working as they have a high bar to meet with
> this game and they want to get it right. At least that is the official
> statement we were given. I have seen pics of hundreds of these
> machines queued up on the factory floor just waiting for sound.
>
> I’m pretty sure there is no ulterior motive, they are just trying to
> get it done and out the door.
>
> ~Blair

Hi - Blair - thanks for the news.

Any chance of video today? I saw last week on the Stern FB site there
would be video shot this week.

It would be great to see something (my dying request before the
"Rapture" tomorrow?)

MB

May 20, 2011, 12:36:32 PM5/20/11
> "Rapture" tomorrow?)- Hide quoted text -

Oh, I forgot- the world is ending tomorrow? Again?
Geez.

jta...@aol.com

May 20, 2011, 12:54:07 PM5/20/11
On May 20, 8:40 am, cyphur <bwrightm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Current issue is game sound/audio for the machine which is causing
them grief. Gary had to pull Lyman Sheets and another guy in to get
the sound working as they have a high bar to meet with this game and
they want to get it right. At least that is the official statement we
were given. I have seen pics of hundreds of these machines queued up
on the factory floor just waiting for sound.

I just wanted to clear up something. I am one of the organizers of the
NWPGS and want to clarify that this post is incorrect. They are no
sound/audio problems and nothing like that was officially stated from
Stern. I apologize for any confusion from a misinformed and incorrect
post. I have seen the game and I have played the game. Please do not
be alarmed and try to guess what is going on behind the doors at
Stern. Let's just appreciate the fact that they are getting it right
before shipping games. They know how vocal people were with Spider-
Man, Dark Knight, Wheel Of Fortune and other games and are working
hard to please the customer. It's in good hands and, as you know, good
things come to those who wait!

We look forward to seeing Gary Stern draw the winner of the Tron
pinball we are giving away at the show on June 4. Don;t miss it!

Jerry
www.nwpinballshow.com

Pin Ball

May 20, 2011, 6:59:30 PM5/20/11

There aren't any LEs to buy in the UK. Surely the worst marketing idea
evarrr, certainly if you want to penetrate the UK market. Ooh err
madam.

Jo.

RotaryRex

May 20, 2011, 7:27:07 PM5/20/11

I'm in the UK and I brought a LE there's only 2 including mine on
order that I know of though.

mnpinball

May 21, 2011, 12:23:42 AM5/21/11
Video is delayed because of some editing changes by Disney.
Should be anytime soon. Alas since it's the weekend don't be
surprised it's now not until Monday.
Be patient, it's worth the wait.

mnpinball

May 21, 2011, 12:33:47 AM5/21/11
A really cool feature in Tron is the skill shot.
A few ways and different skill shots in this pin because of no roll-
overs.
Plunge lightly and enter Flynn's Arcade scoop.
Or hold the left flipper button and plunge to left flipper to make the
ramp shot.

I don't know, but is this the first time in a Stern that a held
flipper button activates a ball gate just as say MM or AFM does for a
skill shot ?

Bowen Kerins

May 21, 2011, 1:36:32 AM5/21/11
> I don't know, but is this the first time in a Stern that a held
> flipper button activates a ball gate just as say MM or AFM does for a
> skill shot ?

No. Batman does this, and also Elvis (?). There may be others.

Keith P. Johnson

May 21, 2011, 1:41:23 AM5/21/11
On Fri, 20 May 2011 22:36:32 -0700 (PDT), Bowen Kerins
<bke...@gmail.com> wrote:

>No. Batman does this, and also Elvis (?). There may be others.

Heh, I didn't know about Batman, but certainly 2 of the 5 Elvis skill
shots are via holding the flipper button in.

keith
--
Further fora you can reach me:
twitter: @pinballkeefer

mnpinball

May 21, 2011, 2:05:29 AM5/21/11
On May 21, 12:41 am, Keith P. Johnson <pin-wiz...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> On Fri, 20 May 2011 22:36:32 -0700 (PDT), Bowen Kerins
>
> <bker...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >No.  Batman does this, and also Elvis (?).  There may be others.
>
> Heh, I didn't know about Batman, but certainly 2 of the 5 Elvis skill
> shots are via holding the flipper button in.
>
> keith
> --
> Further fora you can reach me:
> twitter:  @pinballkeefer
> EFNet:  #pinball (keefer)

Cool, I didn't know about Batman either and I've owned that one since
release ;-/
Elvis as well, but rarely seen or played that one. Thanks.

TGlover

May 21, 2011, 10:35:52 AM5/21/11
At the VERY least they could put out a statement as to when a video
will be coming out, and why it hasn't been put out yet.

If they have nothing to hide, then show the gameplay.... Hell they
must have had a working model for at least 6 months now.

WAIT.... Did someone say that programming wasn't done? Maybe that's
it?

I saw the Borg video, and the sound was really disappointing! Just
people talking. I would have hoped the Daft Punk music would have
been playing throughout.?

I am betting it is a lame-ass pin! I have decided to spend my money of
a more proven pin from the 90's (and pocket the savings)

TOO BAD STERN...... MAYBE IMPROVE YOUR CUSTOMER SALES RELATIONS NEXT
TIME.

TGlover

May 21, 2011, 10:39:49 AM5/21/11
On May 19, 6:23 pm, "apimomf...@yahoo.com" <apimomf...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

FYI: I shot a video of my pin last night and posted it after about 10
minutes of uploading.... So in total it took me about 1/2 hour.....
yeah I can see your point. NOT!

Pin Ball

May 21, 2011, 11:17:01 AM5/21/11
> order that I know of though.- Hide quoted text -

I'd be interested in who in the UK is selling LEs.

Thanks,
Jo.

MB

May 21, 2011, 11:29:29 AM5/21/11

Too bad IM doesn't have a REAL skill shot. Maybe they could borrow
one of TRON's ;-)

Lloyd Olson

May 21, 2011, 11:58:01 AM5/21/11
And the people in your company okayed it, and the Disney people okayed it,
in the same 1/2 hour ? LTG :)

"TGlover" <ur...@cogeco.ca> wrote in message

Pappy Boyington

May 21, 2011, 1:00:28 PM5/21/11

WOW, you sound bitter. You come across as someone who WANTS Stern to
fail. Seems like you're looking for reasons to rag on Stern. Keep on
living in the 90s playing your old B/Ws for the umpteenth time.
Meanwhile we will be having fun playing a game for the first time.

Rich Wiski

Rare Hero

May 21, 2011, 1:14:03 PM5/21/11
On May 20, 10:41 pm, Keith P. Johnson <pin-wiz...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> Heh, I didn't know about Batman, but certainly 2 of the 5 Elvis skill
> shots are via holding the flipper button in.

Whoa! I love when I learn something new about one of my gams! 5
Skill shots!??! Holy crap! Thanks, Keith! :)

BTW - Elvis is sooooo good. I wish everyone had an opportunity to
play a nice, clean 100% working one. Truly a fun game to play!

Greg

Keith P. Johnson

May 22, 2011, 3:39:10 AM5/22/11
On Sat, 21 May 2011 10:14:03 -0700 (PDT), Rare Hero
<rareh...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Whoa! I love when I learn something new about one of my gams! 5
>Skill shots!??! Holy crap! Thanks, Keith! :)

Yeah, pretty sure it's been posted before, but they are:

1. Skill shot (lanes)
2. Hands-free skill shots (lanes, no touching the flipper buttons)
3. Super Skill Shot (plunge to lit drop target)

For the secret ones, hold the left flipper and plunge (HARD). The
magnet will catch the ball then feed the upper right flipper.

4. Secret Skill Shot (shoot the loop)
5. Super Secret Skill Shot (shoot lit drop target)

I think it's the left flipper button. It makes sense because of the
awkwardness of plunging with the left hand. For some reason I'm
thinking it might actually BE the right button now. Eh, you'll figure
it out.

Now, you might ask why the magnet catches the ball. Well, it makes #4
a LOT easier to shoot, probably, BUT it makes #5 way way harder (which
is really the point). At first the magnet didn't catch the ball, and
#5 became the easiest skill shot in the game because you could just
hold the upper right flipper up, and the ball would go into the drops
with alarming predictability (it would just be a timing issue).

RandyV

May 22, 2011, 12:06:03 PM5/22/11
On Saturday, May 21, 2011 8:35:52 AM UTC-6, TGlover wrote:
> At the VERY least they could put out a statement as to when a video
> will be coming out, and why it hasn't been put out yet.

Doesn't work that way. There are a lot of approvals that have to take place and it's not like the studio just gets an email from Stern and replies "yeah, that's fine." Studios are highly protective of their IP at every stage of the game (no pun intended).

Plus -- the last thing Stern is going to do is throw Disney under the bus by making a public statement that Disney is the reason they can't release footage. Not good for business.

Randy

Simon

May 22, 2011, 12:43:31 PM5/22/11

Go to www.pinballheaven.co.uk Listed on site £5300