Midway Flying Carpet Gun Game

smidpins

Jan 31, 2010, 11:23:39 PM1/31/10
Anyone know where I might track down an audio tape for this game?

shlockdoc

Jan 31, 2010, 11:28:06 PM1/31/10
On Jan 31, 11:23 pm, smidpins <jims...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone know where I might track down an audio tape for this game?

http://www.pinballpal.com/

That is Mark Clayton's site - he is a great guy. i am sure if he does
not have it, he will help you find it.

Mark Clayton

Feb 1, 2010, 1:12:27 PM2/1/10
Thanks 'Doc. Flying Carpet has a very interesting
sound setup. It's a custom six-channel sound system
with the audio recorded on a loop of tape about 12" across.
There are three tape heads mounted at different heights,
and a solenoid that pushes the rubber pressure roller against
the capstan when there is audio to play. Brian Hein has
helped me out with a tape loop, but not only is that a
great effort to reproduce, it wouldn't solve the problem
in many cases. I saw one game where the rotted-out rubber
pressure roller was replaced with a wad of masking tape,
and then there's the matter of the preamps, capstan motor
and drive belt, and the analog sync circuit. I will
eventually get the sounds off the tape, but I'd look towards
a solid-state replacement for all that old flaky hardware...

-Mark
-----
http://pinballpal.com

smidpins

Feb 1, 2010, 1:31:10 PM2/1/10
On Feb 1, 11:12 am, Mark Clayton <spamuser1...@i87.com> wrote:
> Thanks 'Doc.  FlyingCarpethas a very interesting

> sound setup.  It's a custom six-channel sound system
> with the audio recorded on a loop of tape about 12" across.
> There are three tape heads mounted at different heights,
> and a solenoid that pushes the rubber pressure roller against
> the capstan when there is audio to play.  Brian Hein has
> helped me out with a tape loop, but not only is that a
> great effort to reproduce, it wouldn't solve the problem
> in many cases.  I saw one game where the rotted-out rubber
> pressure roller was replaced with a wad of masking tape,
> and then there's the matter of the preamps, capstan motor
> and drive belt, and the analog sync circuit.  I will
> eventually get the sounds off the tape, but I'd look towards
> a solid-state replacement for all that old flaky hardware...
>
> -Mark
> -----http://pinballpal.com

> shlockdoc wrote:
> > On Jan 31, 11:23 pm, smidpins <jims...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> Anyone know where I might track down an audio tape for this game?
>
> >http://www.pinballpal.com/
>
> > That is Mark Clayton's site - he is a great guy.  i am sure if he does
> > not have it, he will help you find it.

Thanks Mark, is there a suitable solid state replacement available?

John Robertson

Feb 1, 2010, 10:26:46 PM2/1/10
smidpins wrote:
> Anyone know where I might track down an audio tape for this game?

I have a variety of odd-ball NOS tapes and may have that one. I'll check
on Tuesday at the shop.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com

smidpins

Feb 2, 2010, 10:05:56 AM2/2/10

Thanks John, let me know what you find

John Robertson

Feb 2, 2010, 12:58:19 PM2/2/10
smidpins wrote:
> Anyone know where I might track down an audio tape for this game?

I have a NOS Tape Loop for Flying Carpet. This is a shortish bit of what
looks like 1/4" to 3/8" wide tape. It is about 18" to 24" in length -
joined to be a continuous loop. A few seconds of sound...

A copy of this would be $25...fussy handling to make...I should send it
to Mark C. and let him play with it.

smidpins

Feb 2, 2010, 4:05:52 PM2/2/10
On Feb 2, 10:58 am, John Robertson <s...@flippers.com> wrote:
> smidpins wrote:
> > Anyone know where I might track down an audiotapefor this game?
>
> I have a NOSTapeLoop for Flying Carpet. This is a shortish bit of what
> looks like 1/4" to 3/8" widetape. It is about 18" to 24" in length -

> joined to be a continuous loop. A few seconds of sound...
>
> A copy of this would be $25...fussy handling to make...I should send it
> to Mark C. and let him play with it.
>
> John :-#)#
>
> --
>     (Please post followups or tech inquiries to the newsgroup)
>   John's Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
>   Call (604)872-5757 or Fax 872-2010 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
>                      www.flippers.com
>        "Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."

Mark, what's the chance of getting the sound files off of this for
MP3? Would you want me to ship a player along with it?

Mark Clayton

Feb 3, 2010, 1:31:31 PM2/3/10
John:

Thanks much for the offer. Thanks to Brian Hein, I already
have a Flying Carpet tape loop. It's standard 1/4 inch magnetic
tape in a short loop, as you say. I got it coiled in a small
plastic globe like you may get out of a giant gumball machine
or redemption machine. Don't know if it came that way from
the factory, but pretty cute...

I could get the sounds off the tape by splitting the loop
and feeding it through my Teac 3440 reel to reel, but
to get all of the tracks out, I'd need to fuss with
something where I can adjust the tape heads further -
maybe an 8-track player could get them all. As John
says, very fussy to make a copy, and then you still have
the problematic tape drive and preamp to deal with.

Jim, in any case, you'll need to have working preamps
and audio amplifier. Once that's done, it's a simple
matter to drop in a new tape. For testing, you can use
a junk 8-track with pre-recorded music on it. Just scotch tape
together a loop and see what happens. the tracks may not line
up with the heads very well, but you should be able to get
good sound on at least some of the heads. If that doesn't work,
look towards the amp. A signal injector would be useful here,
but at the preamp stage, just touching a signal lead should
generate a nice and loud hum. I wouldn't be able to troubleshoot
further without having the entire game. Wouldn't mind buying one
if it came up locally - I've been looking...

-Mark
-----
http://pinballpal.com

Thierry Doe

Aug 29, 2023, 2:53:16 AM8/29/23

Is it possible to have the mp3

Thanks

Tcachoudas@

Hotmail

Com

John Robertson

Aug 29, 2023, 9:51:37 AM8/29/23
You will have to find an online copy of the sound file and then convert
it to MP3.

I'm sure the file is out there somewhere!

Good luck.

John :-#)#
John's Jukes Ltd.
#7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)

Riles

Aug 30, 2023, 11:10:27 PM8/30/23