TIP: Create shipping labels using PayPal without having sale transaction attached.

barakandl

Mar 1, 2016, 10:23:15 PM3/1/16
with the link below you can use your PayPal account to create shipping labels without having a sale transaction attached to it. Including cheaper first class under 13oz labels that USPS will not let you do through their website.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

enjoy

andrew

Pin Del

Mar 1, 2016, 10:29:18 PM3/1/16
Good deal Andrew !.
I think it was John Wart who told me if you had a pay pal account tied to your USPS account the price is even cheaper .
Do not hold me to that though as I could be wrong .

Pin Del

pinballtom

Mar 2, 2016, 11:29:22 AM3/2/16
With the recent USPS postal increase (last month for parcels)
the post office eliminated the former ~10% discount
one used to get when using the USPS.com Click&Ship option,
unless you are a big time business.
But as a partial concession,
I think the 13oz limit for 1st class mail has been raised to 16oz.

pinballtom

Mar 2, 2016, 11:38:57 AM3/2/16
On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 7:23:15 PM UTC-8, barakandl wrote:
My wife does a lot of ebay sales, and what she will like about this method of paying and printing shipping labels, is the ability to opt to not display postage value on the label.

pinballtom

Mar 2, 2016, 11:58:20 AM3/2/16
I just set up a dummy label to ship a large flat rate box,
and the flat rate cost was going to be $16.35 (per paypal linked site)
as opposed to the $18.75 USPS was going to charge if I went thru the USPS.com website or went to actual post office to purchase postage.

Scott Lurndal

Mar 2, 2016, 1:00:33 PM3/2/16
Why would she care, unless she's overcharging for shipping?

Tolleymike

Mar 2, 2016, 3:38:30 PM3/2/16
On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 1:00:33 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> writes:
> >On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 7:23:15 PM UTC-8, barakandl wrote:
> >> with the link below you can use your PayPal account to create shipping labels without having a sale transaction attached to it. Including cheaper first class under 13oz labels that USPS will not let you do through their website.
> >>

> >> enjoy
> >>
> >> andrew
> >
> >My wife does a lot of ebay sales, and what she will like about this method of
> >paying and printing shipping labels, is the ability to opt to not display
> >postage value on the label.
>
> Why would she care, unless she's overcharging for shipping?

This is good to know. I thought you could buy postage thru paypal but could not find it on the site.

pinballtom

Mar 2, 2016, 5:48:38 PM3/2/16
She does not over charge, but does charge slightly more than the actual postage, to help cover the extra associated costs of shipping,
like boxing, tape & packing materials plus insurance and signature confirmation services etc plus the ebay and paypal fees associated with shipping charges. And also to help CYA when shipping charges can vary greatly between shipping to west or east coast.
Her shipping charges are clearly posted on the ebay auctions, but she continues to get newbies griping, that she charges more than actual postage costs.
Most times she is lucky to break even on shipping charges,
after ebay&paypal fees, but ever once in a while she gets to "pocket" an extra dollar or two.
cheers tom

barakandl

Mar 2, 2016, 8:00:38 PM3/2/16
I was under the impression it was this way too Pin Del. I thought there was no way to make a label unless you had a sale transaction.

I would get in situations sometimes i needed to create a label for someone, i wanted it to go first class, and i didnt have a sale transaction to attach it to. I would have to go back and find an old transaction, change the shipping address, send the original buyer a note to ignore the new label.

This is so much easier. I use paypal to help keep track of everything too, so filtering it all through paypal simplifies book keeping.

John Wart, jr

Mar 2, 2016, 8:28:11 PM3/2/16
Most sellers charge 'shipping and handling' costs. There is more to that
than just the cost of 'actual postage'.

Boxes cost money. Tape costs money. Packing materials cost money.

If you use PayPal, they take a percentage of the entire sale - including
shipping charges. So, if it costs you $3 to ship, and you collect $3
from a buyer, you're in the hole 9 cents or so already.

As long as a seller is up front about what the S/H fees are on the front
end, I have no gripes. If something is worth $100 to me, and shipping is
$30, my maximum bid is $70.

There are a lot of buyers who think you should only charge what the
postage value on the label is, and if you print $2.54 in postage and
charge them $3 to ship, you're ripping them off!

Never mind the mailer was a quarter, the label was a dime, PayPal took 9
cents... and the packing materials were another quarter.

rler...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2016, 1:07:19 PM3/3/16
I can't find how to get to that shipping page from within PayPal. The link works, but I'd like to access it when I'm in my account directly. Where is it located within PayPal? Thx

pinballtom

Mar 3, 2016, 3:05:31 PM3/3/16
On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 10:07:19 AM UTC-8, rler...@gmail.com wrote:
> I can't find how to get to that shipping page from within PayPal. The link works, but I'd like to access it when I'm in my account directly. Where is it located within PayPal? Thx

i had the same problem/question.
Only could find page if shipping multiple items at same time.

barakandl

Mar 3, 2016, 3:32:13 PM3/3/16
On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 1:07:19 PM UTC-5, rler...@gmail.com wrote:
> I can't find how to get to that shipping page from within PayPal. The link works, but I'd like to access it when I'm in my account directly. Where is it located within PayPal? Thx

You can't get that page from within paypal (that i know of). That is why you need to use the link i provided.

Steps...

Login to the paypal account you want to use.

Open a separate new browser tab.

Copy the link into that new window.

ship away

rler...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2016, 5:46:21 PM3/3/16
Thanks, yeah it works fine that way, just was looking for a way to integrate it better. Used it for the first time today, now I'll never have to go to the po ever again!

b...@langelius.com

Mar 3, 2016, 8:30:20 PM3/3/16
I have used this link before, but i find it only works if i have a positive paypal balance. It will not take money from my linked bank account.

May just be a problem with my account though...

Pin Del

Mar 4, 2016, 4:20:54 PM3/4/16
On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 8:30:20 PM UTC-5, b...@langelius.com wrote:
> I have used this link before, but i find it only works if i have a positive paypal balance. It will not take money from my linked bank account.
>
> May just be a problem with my account though...

Question from me,
When do they take the money from your pay-pal account ?.
Is it when you print the label, Or after the label is scanned ?
I still need to practice printing a few labels to get them sized right .

TIA !
Pin-Del,

barakandl

Mar 4, 2016, 4:50:06 PM3/4/16
The money is taken out when you create the label.

PayPal goes out of its way to try and get you to use your bank account. I use a credit card that gets cash back on it. It takes a few more clicks, but at the final screen where it shows it is going to deduct from bank account, you can click "more funding options" and then pick your credit card.

If you have a positive paypal balance, paypal will make you use that first. If you want to use a credit card with cash back. Move all your money out of paypal to your bank account, then it will let you pick a credit card.

As far as printing. You are given basically a PDF file. If you just print this file with acrobate reader at 100% scale, it will fit a normal sheet of paper just fine.

barakandl

Apr 3, 2016, 10:34:54 PM4/3/16
New link... They have updated the shipping program to some "new beta version" which i think sucks. It forces you to use a bank account and no option for a credit card. I get cashback % on my credit card so...

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now&node_optout=true

for the the "classic" paypal shipping page.
Message has been deleted

John Robertson

Apr 4, 2016, 2:10:06 AM4/4/16
On 04/03/2016 10:56 PM, Andrew wrote:
> Log into your account
> At the top, mouse over More
> Click on Switch to Classic
> Click on Switch to Classic again (bottom of page)
> On the right click Multi-order Shipping
> A window will open ...Click File then Create New Orders
>
> PITA! But I do it so often it's almost second nature.

That doesn't work here in Canada. Also PayPal says they are retiring the
classic format - in other words we won't have the option much longer.

I do not appreciate the change, I find it more cumbersome to use and not
as intuitive.

John :-#(#

www.flippers.com

barakandl

Apr 4, 2016, 8:11:17 AM4/4/16
I just noticed creating some labels this morning that you must be logged into paypal first before the new link works or you will get an error screen.

Open up paypal web page. Login with your user/pass. Then you can open up a new browser tab and go to the link which you will get you to the classic "ship now" page.

pinballtom

Apr 4, 2016, 11:32:59 AM4/4/16
My wife is forever thanking me (& thus you) for finding this backdoor route for using paypal to set up & pay for USPS shipping labels,
which enables you to selectively omit the shipping cost on the printed label and also still get the (~approx 10%) shipping discount that a regular person no longer can get if using the USPS.com site (click&ship) to create & pay for shipping labels.
We are not that concerned over the bank acct vs credit card vs paypal acct balance for payment method issues though.

cheers tom

John Robertson

Apr 4, 2016, 4:29:39 PM4/4/16
I don't know what I am doing wrong. I am logged into PayPal.com (US), I
select the Classic, go to next page which asks if I am sure, say yes.
Get to classic. I open a fresh window (Firefox), and type in PayPal.com
in the URL, that opens the PayPal site still in classic mode (and the
other window was not closed.

I do not see "Multi-order Shipping" on the right side of the screen, or
the left or in any sub-menu.

What else may I be doing wrong? I have dual currencies USD and CAD
active on my account.

Thanks!

barakandl

Apr 4, 2016, 5:10:10 PM4/4/16
Login to paypal.

withouth closing your browser, start a new fresh browser tab. i use chrome

Copy paste this link into the new browser tab. (and then set it to a bookmark)
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now&node_optout=true

When i load that link, i am at the ship now page with no further clicking required.

Gott Lieb?

Apr 4, 2016, 7:30:55 PM4/4/16
Another option is to send $.01 or whatever amount you want from one of your PP accts to the other. Do not send as a gift. You can then go into that transaction, and create a shipping label. You just have to change the shipping address, and the address will never be confirmed. ;)

If you want to ship something else to someone else at a later date, go back into the original $.01 transaction, and choose "ship another".

Jim