DATA EAST Transformer 010-5003-00 BURNED!

Federico Saravia

Nov 20, 2022, 11:24:27 PM11/20/22
Hello
My Jurassic Park Data East transforme 010-5003-00 burned out! it started pulling out smoke like crazy and now it will burn every fuse by itself disconnected from the pin power supply board, I see there's no replacement available, sold out everywhere nowhere to be found.
Does anyone know if there's a guide or documentation on how to rebuild one or a way to buy separate transformers to rebuild one?
Thanks!!!
Federico from Mexico City

John Robertson

Nov 21, 2022, 1:07:02 AM11/21/22
Hi Federico,

You guys are 120V 60Hertz, right? What game is this used in? I suspect
you have a shorted bridge rectifier that wasn't fused on the AC leads
from the transformer and that killed the Xformer...

Anyway, I also suspect you can use a Williams transformer from the same
period with only minor changes - assuming you can find that!

Good hunting!

John :-#)#
John's Jukes Ltd.
#7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Federico Saravia

Nov 21, 2022, 2:19:48 AM11/21/22
Hi John
Thanks for your response

Yes we are at 120V 60Hz Here in Mexico
Its a DE Jurassic Park.
I am reading the manual and see it has several AC outputs (18VAC, 90VAC, 13VAC, 25AC, 48VAC and 6VAC)
I guess i would have to find a transformer with all those outputs.
Can it be rewired or rebuilt? i am thinking of taking it to a repair center but it looks roasted

John Robertson

Nov 21, 2022, 2:42:03 AM11/21/22
On 2022/11/20 11:19 p.m., Federico Saravia wrote:
> Hi John
> Thanks for your response
>
> Yes we are at 120V 60Hz Here in Mexico
> Its a DE Jurassic Park.
> I am reading the manual and see it has several AC outputs (18VAC, 90VAC, 13VAC, 25AC, 48VAC and 6VAC)
> I guess i would have to find a transformer with all those outputs.
> Can it be rewired or rebuilt? i am thinking of taking it to a repair center but it looks roasted

Hi Federico,

Pin-Bot transformer 5610-10897-00 has the same voltages. I suspect many
System 9 to 11 games would have a useful transformer for you...

Note that Pin-Bot, like many Williams and DE games of the period, did
not fuse the 26VAC nor the 13.5VAC outputs that fed bridge rectifiers
directly. You absolutely MUST fuse those lines!!!!!

Schematics on https://ipdb.org

John :-#)#

frg

Nov 22, 2022, 7:35:23 AM11/22/22
John Robertson wrote:
> On 2022/11/20 11:19 p.m., Federico Saravia wrote:
>> Hi John
>> Thanks for your response
>>
>> Yes we are at 120V 60Hz Here in Mexico
>> Its a DE Jurassic Park.
>> I am reading the manual and see it has several AC outputs  (18VAC, 90VAC,
>> 13VAC, 25AC, 48VAC and 6VAC)
>> I guess i would have to find a transformer with all those outputs.
>> Can it be rewired or rebuilt? i am thinking of taking it to a repair center
>> but it looks roasted
>>

> Hi Federico,
>
> Pin-Bot transformer 5610-10897-00 has the same voltages. I suspect many System
> 9 to 11 games would have a useful transformer for you...
>
> Note that Pin-Bot, like many Williams and DE games of the period, did not fuse
> the 26VAC nor the 13.5VAC outputs that fed bridge rectifiers directly. You
> absolutely MUST fuse those lines!!!!!
>
> Schematics on https://ipdb.org
>
> John :-#)#

The System 11 transformers do not have the correct voltages for the DMD power
supply section. Might be a bit low. I usually test the power supplies in a
system 7 pinball or 11 test fixture but need to bridge two pins on the ps
input connector for it. Not sure if you stress the WMS transformer this way if
connected for long times. A WPC DOTM transformer might work but there should
be enough DE transformers around from scrapped DOTM games. Must just not be
out from one with a big dot matrix.

FRG

John Robertson

Nov 22, 2022, 11:01:29 AM11/22/22
Yes, you are quite correct, I was thinking Star Trek 25th for some
reason. He clearly said Jurassic Park...
The System 11 will only work in DE games that use 90VAC for powering the
alpha-numeric displays.
Also DE had added fuses for the bridge rectifiers by this time.

John :-#(#