Evil Maverick Paddle Wheel..

Ronald

Jan 16, 2009, 1:51:48 PM1/16/09
Well I got the right paddle wheel for maverick. Now the gay kicker...
the damn thing will only catch the ball 1 outta 5 times on a
revolution. Has anyone seen this one. the motor is soild. Nice and
slow as it should be. Belt is near perfect. I think everyone is
right. It sucks. This game should have never been made. Anyone got
any tips on making this thing catch a ball.

Things I've done just outta shits and giggles.

1. One way gate... - Results. Catches on paddle wheel. jams up
2. Different elevations on the legs - Results. Blows by it like a
hooker on the streets.
3. Slight presure on the belt on the assembly. - Results. Slugish
inconsistant ball catching.
4. Original structure. (no mods) - Catches 1 outta 5 revolutions.

Things I'm gonna try.

1. Magnetic switch on enterance - Hope it will slow the drag into the
paddle boat assembly.
2. Alter a one way gate from a Williams or data east game
3. Shit can it..
4. Torch the game

Either way I'm gonna try my damnest to get it to run.

AAPIN

Jan 16, 2009, 2:09:46 PM1/16/09
I have used the magnetic switch with good results...it's actually not
a bad game once it is dialed in.

mr tobias

Jan 16, 2009, 3:02:00 PM1/16/09

I renovated a Maverick recently. Had to make a new divertor for it as
the triangular piece was missing and no longer available. I expected
trouble but didn't get any at all. I'd check the divertor assembly is
working properly and that the orbit switches that trigger it are
properly adjusted. It's worth replacing the ball lock transmitters at
the same time as the receivers as the former get dimmer with age
leading to problems. With a properly working divertor and associated
switches plus new ball lock opto boards the game will most likely
prove surprisingly reliable.

The Hammer

Jan 17, 2009, 2:02:21 PM1/17/09
I have had a Mav for years and the only major problem I had with it is the
opto the paddlewheel would go in and out of closing. I replaced the
transmitter and receiver with new diodes and it locked right in and has been
fine ever since.

A very reliable game (I've got to get rid of the sound buzz though - I know
there is a fix, have to read up on it).

I am getting ready to do a complete tear down and clean up just because it
is filthy and the ball bounces out of the VUK too often. Also, some idiot
greased the drop targets...

I purchased a replacement paddle wheel just to have as a spare. In looking
at it, I think this is impossible, but I have to ask:

Is it possible that you installed it backwards? The fins need to be on the
right. The square hole on the left. The design of the wheel is such that
it will scoop up the ball reliably that way.

My one-way wire gate is all the way at the top of the channel that leads to
the wheel and there is no way mine can hit the paddle wheel. I don't
understand how yours can. Without that gate, the ball sometimes bounces
out.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your point. "Blows by it" I guess means that
the triangular diverter is not popping up (which another poster mentioned).
Without that working, you bet, it will not divert down into the paddle
wheel.

That should be an easy fix, assuming that all the parts are there.

No mods should be needed to get the ball into the paddle wheel and the
riverboat.

I am a fan of drop target games. Mav and EBD are absolute heaven for me.
Please don't torch it! :-)

in article e74ebb29-857d-470f...@s1g2000prg.googlegroups.com,

Ronald

Jan 17, 2009, 9:30:25 PM1/17/09
> in article e74ebb29-857d-470f-abb4-9896b0f90...@s1g2000prg.googlegroups.com,
> Ronald at rcoo...@buckeye-express.com wrote on 1/16/09 10:51 AM:
>

> > Well I got the right paddle wheel formaverick.  Now the gay kicker...

> > the damn thing will only catch the ball 1 outta 5 times on a
> > revolution.  Has anyone seen this one.  the motor is soild.  Nice and
> > slow as it should be.  Belt is near perfect.  I think everyone is
> > right.  It sucks.  This game should have never been made.  Anyone got
> > any tips on making this thing catch a ball.
>
> > Things I've done just outta shits and giggles.
>
> > 1.  One way gate...   - Results.  Catches on paddle wheel.  jams up
> > 2.  Different elevations on the legs  - Results.  Blows by it like a
> > hooker on the streets.
> > 3.  Slight presure on the belt on the assembly. -  Results.  Slugish
> > inconsistant ball catching.
> > 4.  Original structure. (no mods) - Catches 1 outta 5 revolutions.
>
> > Things I'm gonna try.
>
> > 1. Magnetic switch on enterance -  Hope it will slow the drag into the
> > paddle boat assembly.
> > 2. Alter a one way gate from a Williams or data east game
> > 3. Shit can it..
> > 4. Torch the game
>
> > Either way I'm gonna try my damnest to get it to run.- Hide quoted text -

Nah.. no torching needed. I managed to get it going just fine. Got a
one way gate properly positioned. Ball clears it.. nudged ball into
wheel just fine. Because before the ball would go into the wheel.
and jump back out of the wheel. It wouldn't matter how much elevation
you had it. Also replaced the opto switch with a magnetic switch as
noted on Kens Pinball instruction cards site. It live... Thank god.

The Hammer

Jan 25, 2009, 4:23:19 PM1/25/09
in article
1c9a669d-3cee-4d59...@v18g2000pro.googlegroups.com, Ronald at
rco...@buckeye-express.com wrote on 1/17/09 6:30 PM:

> Also replaced the opto switch with a magnetic switch as
> noted on Kens Pinball instruction cards site.

I had severe problems with the opto paddle wheel switch in my Mav. I tried
replacing the transmitter and receiver with standard parts and it always
just seemed to move in and out of contact.

I fixed my problem by replacing with opto's from "The Pinball Lizard". I
don't know what, if anything, is different between those opto's and the
standard ones from other sources, but dang, they locked right in and I never
ever had another problem.

The transmitter seems to be the key. Stronger LED output, I would guess.
That and they both are on the same wavelenght.