Can an Atari Superman in good shape really be gotten for $1200?

Swamp Wizard

Apr 1, 2017, 8:08:04 AM4/1/17
This is probably going to be the last addition to my herd (whenever that happens), so I have been keeping an eye out for it on eBay, etc. I've seen a lot of this title be offered for $4K+ (they don't seem to be selling for that price though), with only ones that are a bit rough being offered for around $2K. I heard that Ron Kruzman just restored a playfield and sold it for $2K. Here is a backglass going for $645:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282342822611

It sure seems that the market value for this title is more than folks here have been saying.

Force Flow

Apr 1, 2017, 9:03:25 AM4/1/17
Superman does tend to be overvalued a bit.

At Allentown this past year, there were two Superman pins. Both were around average condition. Some playfield wear, cab issues, some minor backglass issues. One was $800 and the other was $1200. I don't think either one sold.

I've seen a couple examples on craigslist in my area that sat for months since they were non-working and over-priced. I put in an offer on one of them, but the guy thought he was sitting on a goldmine and wouldn't budge.

Nice examples can go for a bit more, since they are unusual to find. A couple years back, there was a HUO example that went for around $3500 on ebay, if I remember right. It basically looked brand new.

Like Gottlieb's Hulk and Spider Man, popular comic book character pins just seem to fetch more than non-comic themes. And sometimes you'll have people bidding on stuff for the collector value, rather than the actual pin value. So yeah, the value on a Superman pin is kind of fluid since there are two camps going after it.

I own one because I'm both a Superman fan and have an affinity for the often unloved Atari pins. I wouldn't pay top dollar for one, though. It's really not that great of a game.

At some point, I thought I might try hook up an MP3 trigger device to play some of the music from the Taito Superman video game to liven it up a bit. It's just one of those projects I haven't really gotten around to working on.

Swamp Wizard

Apr 1, 2017, 11:14:52 AM4/1/17
> Like Gottlieb's Hulk and Spider Man, popular comic book character pins just seem to fetch more than non-comic themes

> It's really not that great of a game.

I think it is very well laid-out game, making full use of the wide-body width with extra lane shots, the bumper on the lower left side, and a straight shot target bank in the front (with the timing shot for that). A problem that I see with most wide-body pins is that they are designed like a regular-width pin with just more space in the middle; Superman makes good use of the extra space.

Pin Del

Apr 1, 2017, 12:35:50 PM4/1/17
That was the 1st Pin I ever owned & they did NOT use cheap plywood building those games !, It was really heavy.
I got 1700.00 for mine long ago .

Pin-Del,

Force Flow

Apr 1, 2017, 10:04:07 PM4/1/17
On Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 11:14:52 AM UTC-4, Swamp Wizard wrote:
I agree, it does have an interesting layout, and artwork as well. But usually after a game or two, I'm done. It's not one of those pins that calls me back over and over again.