Nugent Owners -- Sounds / Ball Kickout Questions

AceBH

Dec 10, 2011, 5:40:44 PM12/10/11

I have a Nugent I'm fixing up for a relative and I'd like to set the
sounds to the original frequency / tone if at all possible. Trouble
is, frequency for TP2, TP3, TP5 on the SB-100 isn't mentioned in the
manual & there's not many videos on Youtube of the Nugent machine. I
realize I could adjust these to whatever sounds good but I'd really
like to get as close to the original sounds if possible.

The Nugent I have currently sounds similar to this (not my machine) --
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKg7zfyS4Js

For comparison, here's the Nugent in Visual Pinball (sorry the video
lags)-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9Wog6g-tg ... no idea at all
if whoever programmed this picked the original frequencies of the
tones or just what sounded pleasing?

My Nugent appears to have the following values on the SB-100 (but not
saying in any way these are correct):
TP2 - 775hz
TP3 - 313hz
TP5 - 600hz
R2 - 3.2k ohm
R6 - 1.5k ohm
R13 - 2.6kohm

Also, the kickout hole in the visual pinball shoots the ball the
opposite way that the actual game does (pops the ball left instead of
to the right). Assuming that is a mistake but just want confirmation
that ball should be kicked out to the right & also wondering if ball
should be flung at the right drop target bank or just kindof plop out
to the right and then hit the fall into the pop bumpers?

The NUGE thanks you! :)

seymour.shabow

Dec 10, 2011, 7:08:18 PM12/10/11
http://www.techdose.com/projects/Stern-Pinball-SB100-Sound-Board/346/page4.html

some info there. Basically adjust so it sounds good though.

They didn't really intend too much with those early sound boards other
than something basic, and something new.

AceBH

Dec 10, 2011, 7:33:04 PM12/10/11
On 12/10/2011 7:08 PM, seymour.shabow wrote:

> http://www.techdose.com/projects/Stern-Pinball-SB100-Sound-Board/346/page4.html
>

> some info there. Basically adjust so it sounds good though.
>

> They didn't really intend too much with those early sound boards other
> than something basic, and something new.

Yep, that's actually my website.. and I don't trust the guy one bit! ;)
Actually I have two of these machines that my father bought, one is
going to a relative who loves "The NUGE". The other will hang out with
us for a bit. I think the values I posted on my Techdose website were
from the first Nugent's SB-100 sound card. The values I just posted
here were from the 2nd Nugent. Hard to know what values were the
original so would love if any other Nugent owners can offer some input.

I might be a bit nuts trying to get the original sound but as good or
bad as it was, whatever frequencies were dialed in from the factory
*were* the sound for that machine. If you tweak the pots you can make
it sound much much different.

-Wayne

--
http://www.techdose.com
http://www.tutorialgrub.com

Cliff

Dec 10, 2011, 8:58:04 PM12/10/11
On Dec 10, 7:33 pm, AceBH <wa...@techdose.com> wrote:
> On 12/10/2011 7:08 PM, seymour.shabow wrote:
>

> >http://www.techdose.com/projects/Stern-Pinball-SB100-Sound-Board/346/...
>
> > some info there. Basically adjust so it sounds good though.
>
> > They didn't really intend too much with those early sound boards other
> > than something basic, and something new.
>
> Yep, that's actually my website.. and I don't trust the guy one bit!  ;)
>   Actually I have two of these machines that my father bought, one is
> going to a relative who loves "The NUGE".  The other will hang out with
> us for a bit.  I think the values I posted on my Techdose website were
> from the first Nugent's SB-100 sound card.  The values I just posted
> here were from the 2nd Nugent.  Hard to know what values were the
> original so would love if any other Nugent owners can offer some input.
>
> I might be a bit nuts trying to get the original sound but as good or
> bad as it was, whatever frequencies were dialed in from the factory
> *were* the sound for that machine.  If you tweak the pots you can make
> it sound much much different.
>
> -Wayne
>
> --http://www.techdose.comhttp://www.tutorialgrub.com

I have a Trident and had the same issue. I wish I knew what the pots
were set to on that game originally.....
I set it to what I thought it sounded like before it crashed and
burned.

AceBH

Dec 11, 2011, 1:56:38 PM12/11/11
On 12/10/2011 5:40 PM, AceBH wrote:

> I have a Nugent I'm fixing up for a relative and I'd like to set the
> sounds to the original frequency / tone if at all possible. Trouble
> is, frequency for TP2, TP3, TP5 on the SB-100 isn't mentioned in the
> manual& there's not many videos on Youtube of the Nugent machine. I
> realize I could adjust these to whatever sounds good but I'd really
> like to get as close to the original sounds if possible.
>
> The Nugent I have currently sounds similar to this (not my machine) --
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKg7zfyS4Js
>
> For comparison, here's the Nugent in Visual Pinball (sorry the video
> lags)-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9Wog6g-tg ... no idea at all
> if whoever programmed this picked the original frequencies of the
> tones or just what sounded pleasing?
>
> My Nugent appears to have the following values on the SB-100 (but not
> saying in any way these are correct):
> TP2 - 775hz
> TP3 - 313hz
> TP5 - 600hz
> R2 - 3.2k ohm
> R6 - 1.5k ohm
> R13 - 2.6kohm
>
> Also, the kickout hole in the visual pinball shoots the ball the
> opposite way that the actual game does (pops the ball left instead of
> to the right). Assuming that is a mistake but just want confirmation
> that ball should be kicked out to the right& also wondering if ball
> should be flung at the right drop target bank or just kindof plop out
> to the right and then hit the fall into the pop bumpers?
>
> The NUGE thanks you! :)

Blah..

Looking at the Visual Pinball game setup code & SB-100 driver code.
From what I can tell, it looks like the code that defines the Nugent
table doesn't set a specific frequency for that game.

The SB-100 driver for Visual Pinball that Oliver Kaegi wrote defines
some frequencies, not sure these are in Hz though.. thinking not. But
kinda looking like it'd use the same frequencies for any games defined
to use the SB-100 driver. I'll have to check with him..

----------
stsnd.c (Pinmame source)
----------
65 // 3 lm324 square wave circuits
66
67 #define ST100_FREQ1 70 // 70 //
68 #define ST100_FREQ2 60 // 140 //
69 #define ST100_FREQ3 120 // 210 // 3 khz
70 #define ST100_FREQ4 35 // (half freq 1)

AceBH

Dec 11, 2011, 2:06:19 PM12/11/11
On 12/10/2011 8:58 PM, Cliff wrote:
> I have a Trident and had the same issue. I wish I knew what the pots
> were set to on that game originally.....
> I set it to what I thought it sounded like before it crashed and
> burned.

Yeah, exactly! It'd be nice if the original factory-set frequencies
were documented in the manuals or on the schematics per game. I
understand the point of view to just adjust it to sound nice but you can
*really* make the game sound totally different by adjusting those pots.
I have other SB-100s from Hot Hands that sounded totally different,
but the original Hot Hand I had bought had the correct tones (verified
by a few YouTube videos). If I could have a few people submit their
frequencies from their games that use the SB-100 and basically verify by
way of "okay 3 people submitted and frequencies are close in value so
most likely factory set" then I could get those posted so no one else
has this problem lol.