Gottlieb gravity plunger relay

integ194

Sep 18, 2021, 6:48:11 PMSep 18
Would appreciate if someone could let me know the typical function of the gravity plunger relay in Gottlieb early flipperless machines. I am restoring a 1946 GTB Superliner (unable to acquire schematic) and not been able to work out the role of this relay. Thanks Wayne

John Robertson

Sep 18, 2021, 7:32:57 PMSep 18
On 2021/09/18 3:48 p.m., integ194 wrote:
> Would appreciate if someone could let me know the typical function of the gravity plunger relay in Gottlieb early flipperless machines. I am restoring a 1946 GTB Superliner (unable to acquire schematic) and not been able to work out the role of this relay. Thanks Wayne

You have tried Steve Young at The Pinball Resource? I don't have that
schematic and am not familiar with that feature I'm afraid...

Otherwise (if you want to try) you wouldn't be the first person to draw
up a schematic of a game without one.

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

integ194

Sep 20, 2021, 6:33:13 PMSep 20
Thanks John. PBR do not have the schematic.

Terry Cumming

Sep 21, 2021, 11:28:03 AMSep 21
On Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 6:48:11 PM UTC-4, integ194 wrote:
> Would appreciate if someone could let me know the typical function of the gravity plunger relay in Gottlieb early flipperless machines. I am restoring a 1946 GTB Superliner (unable to acquire schematic) and not been able to work out the role of this relay. Thanks Wayne
Maybe you mean the "slo-drop" delay unit? From my notes it provides timing functions. Later this was handled by the control motor. The time it takes to actuate coincides with the time it takes some other coil to fire for example. The slo-drop switches would be tied in with the other coil. Think in terms of the motor switches on later EMs that pulse in order to control some other coils.

Terry

John Robertson

Sep 21, 2021, 3:34:27 PMSep 21
Does that use an air shock absorber like some other 30s and 40s games? I
find they usually need to be rebuilt with a fresh greased leather washer
to restore the proper action.

Wayne Ruckley

Sep 21, 2021, 6:37:15 PMSep 21
Thanks Terry thats' very helpful info. Rgds Wayne

Wayne Ruckley

Sep 21, 2021, 6:40:10 PMSep 21
The machine John has a damper at the base of the reset/coin slide mechanism to pump the slide return and it is working fine. I have found similar dampers on many trade stimulators of the era. Rgds Wayne

John Robertson

Sep 21, 2021, 8:02:46 PMSep 21
On 2021/09/21 3:40 p.m., Wayne Ruckley wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 5:34:27 AM UTC+10, John Robertson wrote:
>>> Maybe you mean the "slo-drop" delay unit? From my notes it provides timing functions. Later this was handled by the control motor. The time it takes to actuate coincides with the time it takes some other coil to fire for example. The slo-drop switches would be tied in with the other coil. Think in terms of the motor switches on later EMs that pulse in order to control some other coils.
>>>
>>> Terry
>>>
>> Does that use an air shock absorber like some other 30s and 40s games? I
>> find they usually need to be rebuilt with a fresh greased leather washer
>> to restore the proper action.
>> John :-#)#
>>
> The machine John has a damper at the base of the reset/coin slide mechanism to pump the slide return and it is working fine. I have found similar dampers on many trade stimulators of the era. Rgds Wayne

May I suggest you take some photos of the mechanics of the game and send
off to IPDB.org? Some of these assemblies are quite interesting!