Protection Against Fading

5 visningar

IJDiva

oläst,
2 juni 2003 14:56:412003-06-02
till
I've searched for and read a bunch of articles about repairing or
repainting a faded IJ pin cabinet, but I haven't come across any that
are more along the lines of trying to protect and prevent a vivid
cabinet from fading (or a faded cabinet from getting worse).

Is there anyway of protecting a cabinet from fading, maybe with a
coating or something?

Of course, I know the obvious precautions, such as keeping it out of
sunlight and keeping it covered. I'll be putting my new pin in my
garage, which is very dark, unless the door is opened. But I don't
want to keep it covered all the time with some sort of blanket. Who
would?

Extra question: What types of paints are used to touch-up the color?
Are they special in some way? In other words, I'd like some info on
touching-up the cabinet.

-Diva

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure . . . .

IJDiva

oläst,
3 juni 2003 01:31:202003-06-03
till
Can't someone answer this???

Bob E.

oläst,
3 juni 2003 02:52:022003-06-03
till
IJDiva wrote:

> Can't someone answer this???

Sorry, my answer is a blanket. You didn't want to hear that.

--Bob

Bob Ellingson bo...@halted.com
Halted Specialties Co., Inc. http://www.halted.com
3500 Ryder St. (408) 732-1573
Santa Clara, Calif. 95051 USA (408) 732-6428 (FAX)

surfer

oläst,
3 juni 2003 03:58:122003-06-03
till
You could possibly use a covering of that Yellow anti UV plastic film stuff you see in some store windows- but it would look truly
terrible.
Surfer.

"IJDiva" <IJpi...@volcanomail.com> wrote in message news:a6ec7d60.03060...@posting.google.com...

RonScore

oläst,
3 juni 2003 06:47:592003-06-03
till
If your putting it in a dark garage then you don't need to worry about it . If you want to go the route of blocking the sunlight
then window shades , tint etc . You could cover up the art-work on the cabinet with paper but that looks pretty bad and you don't
want a blanket so there's not many options . There is no miracle wax or liquid that you can put on cabinet to stop fading . I
covered up my windows with thick curtains that let almost no light in . My games will always look good but the room feels like a
mausoleum , it's always pitch black even on the sunniest days . There are no good answers .
Ron

"IJDiva" <IJpi...@volcanomail.com> wrote in message news:a6ec7d60.03060...@posting.google.com...

Rick Swanson

oläst,
3 juni 2003 09:11:172003-06-03
till

surfer wrote:

> You could possibly use a covering of that Yellow anti UV plastic film stuff you see in some store windows- but it would look truly
> terrible.

...or smear a little Coppertone SPF 100 on it. ;-)

Jeremy Wilson

oläst,
3 juni 2003 12:06:012003-06-03
till
In article <a6ec7d60.03060...@posting.google.com>,
IJpi...@volcanomail.com says...

>Is there anyway of protecting a cabinet from fading, maybe with a
>coating or something?

The solution I used was to have UV coatings installed on my windows.
It cuts down the UV light by 97%. It wasn't cheap but it's very
effective.

--
Jeremy Wilson, Pinball Collector - http://www.thewalletpage.com

Mikee

oläst,
3 juni 2003 12:24:032003-06-03
till
Actually, this is the best thing you can do, not just for your pins, but for
everything in your house that can be affected by UV!

Good idea Jeremy, I am going to make some calls about having it
installed on several of my main windows right now!!!!

Mike

"Jeremy Wilson" <xe...@inforamp.net> wrote in message

Manic

oläst,
3 juni 2003 13:04:182003-06-03
till
That *is* a good idea. I was thinking of a clear coating for the
cabs but that's just better all the way around.

"Mikee" <mrobe...@houston.rr.com> wrote in message

Josh A.

oläst,
3 juni 2003 15:35:542003-06-03
till
The UV window treatment available at Home Depot doesn't look that bad
and is 35 bucks for a 15-foot roll. SKU 133350 on their website.

- Josh A.

Jeremy Wilson

oläst,
3 juni 2003 17:07:382003-06-03
till
In article <8b1e90f2.03060...@posting.google.com>,
jos...@hotmail.com says...

>The UV window treatment available at Home Depot doesn't look that bad
>and is 35 bucks for a 15-foot roll. SKU 133350 on their website.

You just have to be very careful when you install it to not get
bubbles, etc. - I paid a professional to do it and you can't tell
there's a coating.

Mikee

oläst,
3 juni 2003 17:19:402003-06-03
till
After searching all morning and part of the afternoon...........
I found a guy at a film shop that will install 3 M film with a special UV
blocker for about 12.00 per pane of glass.
He'll be here in the morning!
Thanks again for the great tip Jeremy!

Mike

"Jeremy Wilson" <xe...@inforamp.net> wrote in message