Protection Against Fading

IJDiva

Jun 2, 2003, 2:56:41 PM6/2/03
I've searched for and read a bunch of articles about repairing or
repainting a faded IJ pin cabinet, but I haven't come across any that
are more along the lines of trying to protect and prevent a vivid
cabinet from fading (or a faded cabinet from getting worse).

Is there anyway of protecting a cabinet from fading, maybe with a
coating or something?

Of course, I know the obvious precautions, such as keeping it out of
sunlight and keeping it covered. I'll be putting my new pin in my
garage, which is very dark, unless the door is opened. But I don't
want to keep it covered all the time with some sort of blanket. Who
would?

Extra question: What types of paints are used to touch-up the color?
Are they special in some way? In other words, I'd like some info on
touching-up the cabinet.

-Diva

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure . . . .

IJDiva

Jun 3, 2003, 1:31:20 AM6/3/03
Can't someone answer this???

Bob E.

Jun 3, 2003, 2:52:02 AM6/3/03
IJDiva wrote:

> Can't someone answer this???

Sorry, my answer is a blanket. You didn't want to hear that.

--Bob

Bob Ellingson bo...@halted.com
Halted Specialties Co., Inc. http://www.halted.com
3500 Ryder St. (408) 732-1573
Santa Clara, Calif. 95051 USA (408) 732-6428 (FAX)

surfer

Jun 3, 2003, 3:58:12 AM6/3/03
You could possibly use a covering of that Yellow anti UV plastic film stuff you see in some store windows- but it would look truly
terrible.
Surfer.

RonScore

Jun 3, 2003, 6:47:59 AM6/3/03
If your putting it in a dark garage then you don't need to worry about it . If you want to go the route of blocking the sunlight
then window shades , tint etc . You could cover up the art-work on the cabinet with paper but that looks pretty bad and you don't
want a blanket so there's not many options . There is no miracle wax or liquid that you can put on cabinet to stop fading . I
covered up my windows with thick curtains that let almost no light in . My games will always look good but the room feels like a
mausoleum , it's always pitch black even on the sunniest days . There are no good answers .
Ron

Rick Swanson

Jun 3, 2003, 9:11:17 AM6/3/03

surfer wrote:

> You could possibly use a covering of that Yellow anti UV plastic film stuff you see in some store windows- but it would look truly
> terrible.

...or smear a little Coppertone SPF 100 on it. ;-)

Jeremy Wilson

Jun 3, 2003, 12:06:01 PM6/3/03
In article <a6ec7d60.03060...@posting.google.com>,
IJpi...@volcanomail.com says...

>Is there anyway of protecting a cabinet from fading, maybe with a
>coating or something?

The solution I used was to have UV coatings installed on my windows.
It cuts down the UV light by 97%. It wasn't cheap but it's very
effective.

--
Jeremy Wilson, Pinball Collector - http://www.thewalletpage.com

Mikee

Jun 3, 2003, 12:24:03 PM6/3/03
Actually, this is the best thing you can do, not just for your pins, but for
everything in your house that can be affected by UV!

Good idea Jeremy, I am going to make some calls about having it
installed on several of my main windows right now!!!!

Mike

"Jeremy Wilson" <xe...@inforamp.net> wrote in message

Manic

Jun 3, 2003, 1:04:18 PM6/3/03
That *is* a good idea. I was thinking of a clear coating for the
cabs but that's just better all the way around.

"Mikee" <mrobe...@houston.rr.com> wrote in message

Josh A.

Jun 3, 2003, 3:35:54 PM6/3/03
The UV window treatment available at Home Depot doesn't look that bad
and is 35 bucks for a 15-foot roll. SKU 133350 on their website.

- Josh A.

Jeremy Wilson

Jun 3, 2003, 5:07:38 PM6/3/03
In article <8b1e90f2.03060...@posting.google.com>,
jos...@hotmail.com says...

>The UV window treatment available at Home Depot doesn't look that bad
>and is 35 bucks for a 15-foot roll. SKU 133350 on their website.

You just have to be very careful when you install it to not get
bubbles, etc. - I paid a professional to do it and you can't tell
there's a coating.

Mikee

Jun 3, 2003, 5:19:40 PM6/3/03
After searching all morning and part of the afternoon...........
I found a guy at a film shop that will install 3 M film with a special UV
blocker for about 12.00 per pane of glass.
He'll be here in the morning!
Thanks again for the great tip Jeremy!