Looking for Gottileb Monte Carlo ROM files please

78 views
Skip to first unread message

David Haughton

unread,
Aug 22, 2022, 5:42:04 AMAug 22
to
If someone has them , could you please email them to me or send me a link.
Regards,

David

John Robertson

unread,
Aug 22, 2022, 12:58:08 PMAug 22
to
Hi David,

Gottlieb ROMs are protected by copyright laws and as such are not
available for download.

We are the sole licenced reproducer of the EPROMs and you can order them
from:

https://flippers.com/catalog_oc/gottlieb-game-or-sound-prom-eprom-gals-p-2802.html?search=EPROM

Sorry, but that is the way things are if you want to do it legally.

John :-#)#

--
(Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
John's Jukes Ltd.
MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
"Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."

diana anderson

unread,
Aug 24, 2022, 8:46:55 AMAug 24
to

diana anderson

unread,
Aug 24, 2022, 8:51:07 AMAug 24
to
On Monday, August 22, 2022 at 9:58:08 AM UTC-7, John Robertson wrote:
I've ordered eroms from john in the past for my packman and its way easier (and cheaper) for him to burn them that trying to do it yourself.

David Haughton

unread,
Aug 24, 2022, 9:14:24 AMAug 24
to
I am very surprised with your response. To me I don't think I am breaking any copyright rules as I own the machine which is obviously licenced to use the firmware in 1987 when it was made. The copyright is long expired.
I'm interested to know what others think.

John Robertson

unread,
Aug 24, 2022, 12:24:21 PMAug 24
to
Copyrights do not expire for 95 years.

https://guides.library.cornell.edu/copyright/publicdomain

Nothing stopping you from archiving the software, perfectly legal and I
encourage it - but not everyone can burn EPROM/PROM/GALs...

I wish some stuff from Gottlieb was title free - parts manuals for
example - but the owner of the copyright says "No.". Talk to Steve Young
at The Pinball Resource for his take on it as he has the reproduction
rights for Gottlieb paper.

I consider this a small fee for my decades of free tech support
including my Gottlieb Grounds recommendations. No one pays me to post
here or on FaceBook (Pinside is too noisy), and I hate to think I know
something that could help someone else solve a problem - as so many
people have shared their knowledge that I have benefited from.

Alan

unread,
Aug 24, 2022, 12:29:08 PMAug 24
to
It's just common sense that if Gottlieb's copyrights had expired long go, all the major parts suppliers, Planetary, Marco, etc., would be selling Gottlieb firmware and thousands of different Gottlieb parts. But they're not, and that's because they will get sued. Gottlieb/Mondail protects it's copyrights like a mother grizzly bear protects her cubs. I'm not a lawyer, but it's just common sense.

John Robertson

unread,
Aug 24, 2022, 1:01:04 PMAug 24
to

On 2022/08/24 9:29 a.m., Alan wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 24, 2022 at 9:14:24 AM UTC-4, dvhau...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 24 August 2022 at 14:51:07 UTC+2, lwin...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> On Monday, August 22, 2022 at 9:58:08 AM UTC-7, John Robertson wrote:
>>>> On 2022/08/22 2:42 a.m., David Haughton wrote:
>>>>> If someone has them , could you please email them to me or send me a link.
>>>>> Regards,
>>>>>
>>>>> David
>>>> Hi David,
>>>>
>>>> Gottlieb ROMs are protected by copyright laws and as such are not
>>>> available for download.
>>>>
>>>> We are the sole licenced reproducer of the EPROMs and you can order them
>>>> from:
>>>>
>>>> https://flippers.com/catalog_oc/gottlieb-game-or-sound-prom-eprom-gals-p-2802.html?search=EPROM
>>>>
>>>> Sorry, but that is the way things are if you want to do it legally.
>>>>
>>>> John :-#)#
>>>>
>>> I've ordered eroms from john in the past for my packman and its way easier (and cheaper) for him to burn them that trying to do it yourself.
>> I am very surprised with your response. To me I don't think I am breaking any copyright rules as I own the machine which is obviously licenced to use the firmware in 1987 when it was made. The copyright is long expired.
>> I'm interested to know what others think.
> It's just common sense that if Gottlieb's copyrights had expired long go, all the major parts suppliers, Planetary, Marco, etc., would be selling Gottlieb firmware and thousands of different Gottlieb parts. But they're not, and that's because they will get sued. Gottlieb/Mondail protects it's copyrights like a mother grizzly bear protects her cubs. I'm not a lawyer, but it's just common sense.

I believe the OP is thinking of PATENTs - which expire after around 17
years.

If one isn't happy with copyright laws nag your state senator to change
them. Disney, Sony, and many others would be fascinated I'm sure...they
have quite the lobby.

I can't explain how corporations have gained protections that humans
don't have - after all corporations are considered 'people' in the legal
system.

John ;-#)#

bank-a-ball

unread,
Sep 3, 2022, 1:10:19 PMSep 3
to
David,

I might be able to help. For some reason I can't reply directly to author, so contact me through Mr Pinball. I'm the seller of Some Nugget shuffle paperwork there.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages