Broken screw in playfield

samishf...@hotmail.com

Mar 31, 2007, 6:41:10 PM3/31/07
This is my first post about my first pin - a Capt. Fantastic EM.
I have been learning from Marvin's site and This Old Pinball DVD's.
While stripping the playfield 3 of the screws in the upper left of the
playfield were corroded and broke off in the wood.
So now what do I do. My first thought is using a drill press. Anyone
had this happen?
Thanks,
Dave

thabigwolf

Mar 31, 2007, 6:52:36 PM3/31/07

Dave -

I am no expert but to remove a screw that is broken in wood - You only
choice is to use a drill press (So it stays perpindicular to the
surface and does not ruin the surface any more than it is by
slipping)-

Then take a dowel rod of equal size and glue it in... Use a blade to
cut off excess that is very flexible and can guide along the surface.
Once the dowel rod dries in place it will provide enuff support for a
new screw...

John

martin

Mar 31, 2007, 7:28:10 PM3/31/07

here's what I did. The ball end on the dremel is easy to control. I
don't think that a drill press will work, the drill is going to slip
off the nub and dig up the wood. Then, you'll have to fill with epoxy,
smooth, and touch up. Hopefuly, these holes are covered when the
machine is assembled.

http://iobium.com/fixing_a_headless_screw.htm

cody chunn

Mar 31, 2007, 8:15:07 PM3/31/07
You can try one of those left-handed deals that are designed for pulling out
broken screws. I can't remember what they're called.

--
-cody
CARGPB4

<samishf...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

ch...@team-em.com

Mar 31, 2007, 8:27:39 PM3/31/07
Those are generally called "easy outs" but I've never had any success
on small screws. They work great for larger bolts though!

In a similar situation, I just drilled a hole immediately adjacent to
the screw. This gave me room to use an awl or an ice pick to work the
screw out. Mine was under a playfield post, so it wasn't a big deal.
Just fill with a dowel (or even tooth picks), and you're back in
business.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
TeamEM

rsovatsk

Apr 1, 2007, 9:22:04 AM4/1/07
I successfully used Chris' method on a Big Star post. I had to drill
completely through because the broken screw was sticking out the
bottom of the pf. I've used toothpics in the past, but this time due
to the size of the hole, I mixed up a poultice of white glue and saw
dust and worked it into the hole. It held pretty good, however, I
didn't have to tighten this post with great torque because it was in a
location that didn't get hit with the ball. Good luck.
Bob

Rick Swanson

Apr 1, 2007, 11:28:06 AM4/1/07
On Mar 31, 8:27 pm, c...@Team-EM.com wrote:
> Those are generally called "easy outs" but I've never had any success
> on small screws. They work great for larger bolts though!

"Here are two secrets to removal you will never find in your handyman
book, and are also useful in similar situations.

1) Upon application of the easy-out, it will help if you are
careful
to hold your mouth just the right way. A well known common position,
that seems to be somewhat universal, is the tongue tip in the corner
of
the mouth against the upper lip. You can throw in a bit of head
cocking for additional effect; about 20 degrees is good....

2) Also a carefully constructed admonishment to the offending screw
about your determination to win, that it had better co-operate or
else,
etc. has been found helpful in releasing an otherwise stubborn screw.

Sometimes it necessary to increase the level of threat, adding in a
perfectly syntaxed string of cuss words, until the screw is
intimidated
into co-operating. A real master of this form can cause a stuck screw
to practically unscrew itself.

Tom Lear
San Francisco, CA"

Thought this except may be of some use if an extrator is used. ;-)

Rick Swanson
CARGPB6

Don

Apr 1, 2007, 2:39:54 PM4/1/07
If you can just get to the top of the broken screw, sometimes you can
use a dremel cut-off disc that you have buzzed down to a tiny size.
Use that small cutt-off disc to slice a groove in the top of the screw
and carefully back it out with a small flat blade screw driver.

If that fails I highly recommend Rick's tips.

- Don

Buddabing

Apr 1, 2007, 5:42:22 PM4/1/07

<samishf...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

What I did was remove the screw from the bottom. With a hand drill I drilled
up to where the screw was (located with a magnetic stud finder). Then I
removed just enough wood along the sides of the screw to get a grip on the
screw with some needle-nose vice grips. Then I just turned the vice grips
and screwed the screw out of the hole. I filled in the back part of the
playfield with some wood filler, and let it dry for a couple of days. Then a
new screw can be put in.

MIKE PAYNE

Apr 2, 2007, 8:59:53 AM4/2/07

Is the screw threads below the surface of the underside of the
playfield? How bout a pair of pliers from the bottom side of the
playfield? Was is a wood screw or a threaded machine type of screw? If
machine, just remove the T nut and replace the T nut with a new one
and you are good to go.