Guns n Roses shaker motor in Japan release

mnpinball

Mar 15, 2010, 10:20:52 AM3/15/10
Was Japan the only version that had the shaker motor ? I have this
version and the shaker does not operate. No software support for it.

Orin A. Day View profile
More options May 9 2002, 9:20 am

Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
From: lobs...@lobsterdevil.com (Orin A. Day)
Date: 9 May 2002 13:51:02 GMT
Subject: Re: Guns & Roses Shaker motor?????

In article <3cd9c7a0$...@newsa.ev1.net>, Mikee <micha...@ev1.net>
wrote:
>Has anyone ever heard of a shaker motor in a GnR?
> I never have, but I have someone telling me that there is one. Maybe
>in the prototype machine?????
>Anyone have any details?

Yep, I sure do, from memory. Here goes...

1) The first prototype machine did NOT have a shaker motor. However,
it
did have a drop target in front of the add band member hole. I know
this
because I used to own the proto machine, a friend in Chicagoland now
has
it.

2) As I believe I've said here before, Japan changed their import
rules
for games around the time that Tommy went into production. I don't
remember the details 100%, but for some odd reason we (DE) found that
we
could avoid a ton of red tape in getting each model approved for
production in Japan if we had the same number of motors in every
game. I
don't recall completely if the motors had to have the same power
usage
requirements, but I think they did.

Tommy had three motors IIRC - one for each propeller on the airplane
and
one for the mirror. Thus subsequent Japanese games had to have three
motors as well to "match" under this standard. To satisfy this
standard
(silly as it seemed) the Japanese games had a fan or two added in the
backbox (similar to the propeller motors). One higher voltage motor
remained, in WWF it was satisifed by the factory shaker motor, for GnR
we
had to add the shaker. (At that time we were moving away from using
the
shaker anyway, so we could use existing stock left over from WWF -
the
number of Japanese games was not terribly large anyway.)

I don't remember if we had this restriction on Maverick or not (it had
one
motor on the playfield for the boat, maybe we added two fans in the
backbox) but after Sega took control I seem to recall the Japanese
motor
issues going away.

I don't recall any other customers/jurisdictions requesting the
shaker
motor, but it could have happened.

So...if you have a GnR with a shaker motor my guess is that the game
was
originally a Japanese game - either re-imported into the US or
converted
to some other country at the factory after originally being built for
Japan. Japanese CPU should activate the shaker motor in GnR IIRC.

O "Mr. Ancient History" D

"not speaking for DE|Sega|Stern Pinball"

--
Orin Day
lobs...@lobsterdevil.com

Max Badazz

Mar 15, 2010, 11:07:47 AM3/15/10
Having a shaker motor in GnR just seems wrong. There are no modes or
rules that would include a shake without looking out of place. Now
having a robotic Axl a la Elvis would be cool :)

Chris (in NH)
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/maxbadazz

Captain Neo

Mar 15, 2010, 11:35:28 AM3/15/10
I thought the shacker was added only because the games had to have a
certain amount of coils to be shipped to japan. Didn't know it was
actually added in the software. Are all the songs in Japenese? That
would be awesome to hear.

James

Mar 15, 2010, 12:24:52 PM3/15/10
I remember a proto gnr on ebay a couple months ago and do not recall
seing the drop target mentioned...it did have the different snake and
translight
The shaker motor I would assume, would activate during riot or
multiball, making a crazy game that much more crazy.
The only complaint I have for gnr is the add a band member...too often
the first one you add is sorum's dumb drum solo..Axl three ball is
where it's at

'''OF ALL THE BANDS IN THE WORLD THIS IS DEFINATELY ONE OF THEM''