Williams sticker on Whirlwind backglass

Bloodyhell

Feb 22, 2011, 9:42:08 AM2/22/11

I recently picked up a Whirlwind and I notice it's one with the W
sticker over the Cubs logo on the kid's cap on the backglass.

I have a couple of questions about it: Is this at all rare or are most
of them this way? Does anyone know how many were produced before they
changed the translight art?

Also, should I leave the sticker on or peel it off?

Charlie

--
Bloodyhell
This USENET post sent from http://rgparchive.com

John In WI

Feb 22, 2011, 10:11:32 AM2/22/11
Bloodyhell wrote:
> I recently picked up a Whirlwind and I notice it's one with the W
> sticker over the Cubs logo on the kid's cap on the backglass.
>
> I have a couple of questions about it: Is this at all rare or are most
> of them this way? Does anyone know how many were produced before they
> changed the translight art?
>
> Also, should I leave the sticker on or peel it off?
>
> Charlie

Peeled mine off. The way it was originally intended to be.

--

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will
find an excuse."

- Stephen Dooley, Jr. -

James

Feb 22, 2011, 11:05:41 AM2/22/11
That's definetly the rare early version of Whirlwind translites from
what I understand. I'm curious, does your new machine also have a low
serial # and a DP playfield?

John In WI

Feb 22, 2011, 11:13:12 AM2/22/11

Low serial # (464) but not DP.

Bloodyhell

Feb 22, 2011, 11:17:41 AM2/22/11

No DP playfield. I'll have to check the serial number when I get home.

It seems like there would be three groups - The first produced without
a sticker that got the Cubs all huffy, then the sticker version to use
up the translites they had on hand, then the ones with the corrected
art. It would be interesting to find out how many are in each group.
Also, if the sticker group is small, I thought it might be best to leave
the sticker on.

Everybody thinks there stuff is rare, though. It probably doesn't make
much difference.

beaver

Feb 22, 2011, 11:23:23 AM2/22/11
Were I in your shoes, I would leave the sticker on.

Although I doubt you will have a need to, it is easy to take off
later.

Edward_Cheung CARGPB26

brokenvette

Feb 22, 2011, 11:40:10 AM2/22/11
Does anyone have pics of this? The WWI bought id DPd. What do I look
for?

John In WI

Feb 22, 2011, 11:42:06 AM2/22/11

I had never really noticed it was a sticker until I read on here some
time back that some of them came that way and checked for myself. Funny
I didn't notice it on my own because it just looked so out of place,
mostly because the kid wearing the hat isn't looking straight at you,
but the sticker is printed as if he is.

John In WI

Feb 22, 2011, 11:43:30 AM2/22/11
brokenvette wrote:
> Does anyone have pics of this? The WWI bought id DPd. What do I look
> for?

Does the baseball cap the kid is wearing have a Cubs logo, a Williams
logo, or a sticker with a Williams logo covering the Cubs logo?

brokenvette

Feb 22, 2011, 11:51:30 AM2/22/11

I found it on IPDB.org. The had originally had a C on it for Cubs and
the Chicago Cubs got bent so they put the W sticker over it.
Interesting but it seems petty to me, that the Cubs woud care that is.

cal50

Feb 22, 2011, 12:31:32 PM2/22/11

My original WW translite is the "cubs" version (no W sticker). A good
friend gave me a NOS WW translite that was the later version with the
kids hat corrected and that is what is in my game currently. I dont
know about the rare part other than it does look different and might
be of more value to someone in C town.

If someone has a nice Getaway translite they want to trade for the WW
"Cubs" translite I will trade you.

James

Feb 22, 2011, 5:49:41 PM2/22/11
My WW is a very early s/n 0034 with a DP playfield, and I was suprised
that is has the regular "W hat" non-sticker translite. Maybe it was
changed at some point, who knows - a lot can happen to a pinball
machine in 23 years.

Ned Ledod

Feb 22, 2011, 9:21:15 PM2/22/11

For some strange reason I want to go play my "Yesterday And Today"
album.

pat

Feb 22, 2011, 9:47:51 PM2/22/11

It might be nice to clear up some of this. The original artwork was
one of the first complete projects done by my now good friend John
Youssi.
John did his usual great job and the translights were ordered for the
first go around of production. Memory serves 1000 or so. In the mean
time
the Williams lawyers basically had to approve almost everything we
did. One of the things they were asked to check on in regards to
Whirlwind was the following:
" Will that stupid fan on top of the game cause us any product
liabilty if it blows something in a players eye?". No kidding...
Really. In looking into this
question, they saw the translite on a game. And noticed the Cubs Logo.
Since we had not licensed the logo we were told, in a 2 hour meeting
where the
trademark laws were explained to us ( game designers), that removing
the logo should be a "high" priority. The Cubs organization never saw
or complained about the art.
So now we have 1000 or so VERY expensive translites. In order to save
them we came up with the idea of putiing the sticker over the Cubs
logo.
So, I guess this means... out of 7000 or so Whirlwinds made 1000 or so
have the stickers. Not very rare. Now most of early production was
shipped
overseas, Germany etc. So, in this country you may not see very many
of those translites. Hope this explains the sticker. And, most
importantly,
the lawyers concluded we had very little exposure on the Fan issue.
So... the fan got to stay on the game.

Pat

GOCATGO

Feb 22, 2011, 10:07:24 PM2/22/11

Well that should clear it up!

Can any of you guys answer my question from this post? Just want to
know if you can see the square rectangular shape image from the black
foam on the woodblock thru the translite when the game is on. If so,
I'd appreciate it. Reply direct to me also if you wish. Haven't
really gotten an answer.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/3ed68c4444e6cd0b?hl=en#

Russ
www.Team-EM.com

Rob T

Feb 22, 2011, 10:35:32 PM2/22/11

pat;1636552 Wrote:
> On Feb 22, 8:42*am, Bloodyhell <Williamsonchar... (AT) gmail (DOT) com>

Very cool story. Thanks for sharing Pat!

--
Rob T

TheKorn

Feb 22, 2011, 10:51:27 PM2/22/11
cal50 <jbha...@oh.rr.com> wrote in news:6c884c52-13ac-4070-a893-
c6741f...@r4g2000prm.googlegroups.com:

> My original WW translite is the "cubs" version (no W sticker). A good
> friend gave me a NOS WW translite that was the later version with the
> kids hat corrected and that is what is in my game currently. I dont
> know about the rare part other than it does look different and might
> be of more value to someone in C town.
>
> If someone has a nice Getaway translite they want to trade for the WW
> "Cubs" translite I will trade you.

Do you have anything else you need? I don't own a WW, but certainly
wouldn't mind having that translite.

--
Have a home video that's trapped on your camera? Want to share it on the
web or on DVD?

http://www.webwidevideo.com/

cal50

Feb 23, 2011, 3:01:18 AM2/23/11
On Feb 22, 10:51 pm, TheKorn <TheK...@TheKorn.Net> wrote:
> cal50 <jbhar...@oh.rr.com> wrote in news:6c884c52-13ac-4070-a893-
> c6741fdd7...@r4g2000prm.googlegroups.com:

You have mail~

brokenvette

Feb 23, 2011, 8:23:32 AM2/23/11
> You have mail~- Hide quoted text -

I looked at mine and it was a sticker. Someone said they took theirs
off easily. Mine didnt come off easily, it was a bitch to get it off.

captkirk

Feb 23, 2011, 8:49:12 AM2/23/11
On Feb 22, 9:47 pm, pat <plaw...@patlawlordesign.com> wrote:

Thanks for the history lesson Pat, enjoyed it.

captkirk