TECH Bally Bobby Orr game start/play issue

Steve theDomer

Nov 16, 2021, 12:50:08 AM11/16/21
Hello all, I have a Bobby Orr with 'new' Altek MPU and power boards (new in that I bought the machine and the boards about 6 years ago and am just getting around to working on it). MPU starts and gets 7 flashes; set for free play o the MPU; press start button and it cycles to start a game (chimes, fires banks solenoids), but pushing start button won't add players. Although seemingly in a new game, noting on the playfield works - no flippers, kickers, saucer, no scoring, no feature lights advance - PF lit but does not play.

In the self test, GI works, feature lights work, solenoids work. In switch test it shows switch 7 (tilt) - but none of the tilt apparatus (runway ball, plumb bob, cabinet kick tilt, coindoor kick tilt) appear to be making contact.

I have looked at my old Clay's repair guide and nothing jumps out at me.

Any thoughts and suggestions. (I have not replaced connectors or reflowed board pins, but with the solenoids and feature lights all working properly in self test mode, these didn't seem to be the prime suspects).

Thanks

John Robertson

Nov 16, 2021, 1:17:06 AM11/16/21
Hi Steve,

Well, if the MPU is detecting the TILT switch then it will behave
exactly as you describe.

So try this - put the game into switch test. Note that SW 07 is shown in
the display. Now unplug the two plugs on the right hand side of the MPU
and see if the 07 goes away. If it does then there is a closed Tilt
switch (or pinched wiring) somewhere in the game. I'd be checking the
SLAM Tilt switches - the one on the coin door near the hinge or the
lock, and the other is usually on the underside of the playfield
somewhere near the flipper area. I think that is most likely your problem...

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Steve theDomer

Nov 16, 2021, 9:02:48 PM11/16/21
Thank you John. I tried removing the 2 right hand plugs (together and one at a time), and the 07 went away but so did the ability to put it into switch test mode. I replaced the diodes on the two slam switch tilts, and checked for odd connections then unsoldered the wires on the ramp tilt and the plumb bob tilt, but the 07 continues to show to during test mode. I suppose I need to trace back the wires and look for a crimp of some sort.

Steve theDomer

Nov 16, 2021, 11:06:56 PM11/16/21
Also, when in system test of switches, I remove connector 3 and the 07 switch still shows, but does not show if I remove connector 2. Looking at the schematics, the wires at the connector for the tilts are J3 2,3,15 and 16. I tried removing 2 and 3, then 15 and 16, and in each case switch 07 closed was still indicated in the switch test mode.

Any additional suggestions? Thank you

John Robertson

Nov 17, 2021, 12:56:36 AM11/17/21
On 2021/11/16 8:06 p.m., Steve theDomer wrote:
> Also, when in system test of switches, I remove connector 3 and the 07 switch still shows, but does not show if I remove connector 2. Looking at the schematics, the wires at the connector for the tilts are J3 2,3,15 and 16. I tried removing 2 and 3, then 15 and 16, and in each case switch 07 closed was still indicated in the switch test mode.
>
> Any additional suggestions? Thank you

Your problem is related to the Playfield TILT switch, near the flippers,
a pair of blade switches, one has a metal weight on the end of the blade
so it bounces easily if the game is dropped. This one is connected to
J2-1 and J2-14
pins.

Check this photo:

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1858&picno=26491

The playfield SLAM TILT switch is on the upper right of the photo - just
to the right of the upper right flipper...

J3 TILT is the plumb bob and ball roll tilt switches.

John :-#)#

Steve theDomer

Nov 17, 2021, 1:00:05 AM11/17/21
I had checked the gap and for shorts on the PF tilt, but will check it more thoroughly. Thank you.

Steve theDomer

Nov 17, 2021, 8:29:43 PM11/17/21
Well, I pulled the wire for pin 1, and still am getting the 07 closed switch. I notice that when I start it up it takes player 1 and acts like it tilts (makes sense, won't add player 2, no flippers or PF items work) but the tilt lights do not light. I am going to keep looking for crimps, but I'm starting to feel the prior owner's frustration. The prior owner sold it at a weekly equipment sale; it came with the old boards, and the new altek boards and pretty well cleaned up but

LexingtonVAPin

Nov 17, 2021, 8:41:27 PM11/17/21
I have not read the entire thread, but....

Did you check the coin door switches? A couple of them (usually) do
not have diodes but are part of the switch matrix. If they are stuck
closed, you will see all sorts of issues.

If you already covered this, my apologies.

--
http://orcalcoast.com/

John Robertson

Nov 17, 2021, 8:53:49 PM11/17/21
>> Well, I pulled the wire for pin 1, and still am getting the 07 closed
>> switch. I notice that when I start it up it takes player 1 and acts
>> like it tilts (makes sense, won't add player 2, no flippers or PF
>> items work) but the tilt lights do not light. I am going to keep
>> looking for crimps, but I'm starting to feel the prior owner's
>> frustration. The prior owner sold it at a weekly equipment sale; it
>> came with the old boards, and the new altek boards and pretty well
>> cleaned up but
>>
> I have not read the entire thread, but....
>
> Did you check the coin door switches?   A couple of them (usually) do
> not have diodes but are part of the switch matrix.  If they are stuck
> closed, you will see all sorts of issues.
>
> If you already covered this, my apologies.

Good point - an easy check is to put the game into Switch Test and
simply unplug the coin door.

If that doesn't work why not try removing one wire from the Tilt Switch
near the flipper? I am pretty sure this is where the problem lies.
Perhaps there is a hairline bit of solder shorting the terminals on the
blade switch...

Steve theDomer

Nov 17, 2021, 8:54:44 PM11/17/21
I will check them, thank you. When I started I checked to be sure they were moving correctly and stopped the buzzing but I did not check diodes.

Steve theDomer

Nov 17, 2021, 9:00:44 PM11/17/21
Oh and I did unplug the coin door previously; it still showed the 07 switch

John Freel elkhartpinball.com

Nov 28, 2021, 6:57:30 AM11/28/21
It is probably the small round capacitor on the plumb bob tilt wires has shorted, cut one leg off and see if the tilt goes away, if it does, change the capacitor.