skee ball solenoid problem, does not release

matt

Aug 8, 2009, 11:11:43 PM8/8/09
hi, i have a skee ball machine, older one, with rocker arm system.
at the start of the game, the rocker releases the balls, but then does
not pop back up. from trying to look up the problem, i thing it is the
solenoid, and it is staying engaged. I dont know how to make the
rocker arm release. There is a buzzing from the mechanism, but it only
releases when i turn off the power.

can you give me any help? thanks
matt

matthew...@aol.com

Reinhard

Aug 8, 2009, 11:32:34 PM8/8/09
> matthewkelle...@aol.com

We would need to know exactly what system your machine has in it.
Skee Ball made a lot of different ones over the year. A very common
one is a Model H which has two gold colored metal boxes in the head.
One is a rather small and flat one which is the CPU (has an 8 Bank of
dipswitches showing through a window). The other is rather square in
shape and may or may not have its screen cover installed. This is the
power supply which also has the lamp and solenoid drivers in it. You
probably have shorted triac which will require soldering skills to
replace and it is usually a good idea to also change the MOC3010 which
is the small 6 pin IC which drives the triac.

Another System is the model S which would be contained in a strangly
shaped silver metal box. Inside it, you will have a solid state relay
(small black brick soldered to the board) which is shorted.

There is also a system with all the electronics contained behind the
dot matrix display which will also have a solid state relay which is
shorted.

RB

matt

Aug 9, 2009, 12:26:22 AM8/9/09
i have to look to see the model,

but from your description, i know on the top of the machine, behind
the display, there is a metal box with everything inside. how would i
know which is shorted out, and how to i fix it?

i know which plug connects to the solenoid, because when i unplug it,
the ball release disengages.

Reinhard

Aug 9, 2009, 4:18:19 PM8/9/09
If you have the large silver box with a really big square portion and then a
thinner portion where most of the connectors plug in, that is probably a
Model S.

I will have to check Monday which SSR is for the Solenoid. There are a
couple of others which you can steal since they only control AC lights that
may or may not be used on your game (until you locate a replacement).

RB

"matt" <matthew...@aol.com> wrote in message

Reinhard

Aug 10, 2009, 12:30:49 PM8/10/09
If I have my schematics right for a model SBC-1-E, these are the components
for the Solenoid:

SCR3 (Which is actually a Triac, not an SCR) T2800B or equiv. The Print says
a Q4015-L5 must be used for UL listed lanes.

U19 MOC3030 and may or may not be bad. I always change it when I have a
fried Triac since they are so cheap to stock.

SCR2 and U18 are used for the "Flood Light" which is part of a Skeeball
Lightning and may not be used in your game.

I was wrong about Model S's using SSR bricks thats for the newer system like
in Lightning and Skeeball Too!

RB

"Reinhard" <reinh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Tec-9

Aug 10, 2009, 5:53:28 PM8/10/09
It's most likely a dip switch setting. Your machine has a rocker arm
system, so it drops all the balls at once. The newer type machines,
have a single ball system, that allows the game to operate off as
little as one ball. The single ball system has a sensor that counts
the balls as they drop. It will keep the solenoid activated until it
sees nine balls pass by. I don't remember what dipswitch it is, maybe
#3?? It is not #4 or #1. The newer software allows for both types of
ball drops, and is changed via dipswitch.
-Mark

On Aug 10, 12:30 pm, "Reinhard" <reinhar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I have my schematics right for a model SBC-1-E, these are the components
> for the Solenoid:
>
> SCR3 (Which is actually a Triac, not an SCR) T2800B or equiv. The Print says
> a Q4015-L5 must be used for UL listed lanes.
>
> U19 MOC3030 and may or may not be bad.  I always change it when I have a
> fried Triac since they are so cheap to stock.
>
> SCR2 and U18 are used for the "Flood Light" which is part of a Skeeball
> Lightning and may not be used in your game.
>
> I was wrong about Model S's using SSR bricks thats for the newer system like
> in Lightning and Skeeball Too!
>
> RB
>

> "Reinhard" <reinhar...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > If you have the large silver box with a really big square portion and then
> > a thinner portion where most of the connectors plug in, that is probably a
> > Model S.
>
> > I will have to check Monday which SSR is for the Solenoid.  There are a
> > couple of others which you can steal since they only control AC lights
> > that may or may not be used on your game (until you locate a replacement).
>
> > RB
>

> > "matt" <matthewkelle...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >>i have to look to see the model,
>
> >> but from your description, i know on the top of the machine, behind
> >> the display, there is a metal box with everything inside. how would i
> >> know which is shorted out, and how to i fix it?
>
> >> i know which plug connects to the solenoid, because when i unplug it,

> >> the ball release disengages.- Hide quoted text -

breid...@eastonsd.org

Feb 5, 2019, 10:57:49 AM2/5/19
Hi gentleman, found this old post online and I’m working on the Lightning. My flood light doesn’t work and my system starts up and works for a while and shuts off based on what I’m reading here they probably need some of these relays. Did I see that you stock parts for these?