FYI - DANGER Exploding tempered glass

NunjoBiznezz

Jul 22, 2011, 10:40:58 AM7/22/11
It's 100+ here in Indiana, I went into the garage today to clean my LOTR
cabinet and get some better pictures, removed the tempered plate glass
and set it next to my workbench.

After doing my business with some Mean Green and snapping photos, I
picked up the tempered glass and it literally exploded in my hands. I
don't know if it was the heat or just a quirk, but it scared the crap
out of me, and of course now I need new glass for my LOTR.

Luckily, only one tiny cut from the ordeal, and the glass fell on the
floor, not into the machine.

Weird??

AFM_TZ

Jul 22, 2011, 10:44:34 AM7/22/11

Thanks for this heads up - a BIG thanks. I am just finishing a BSD
shopout, i have the tempered glass leaning against a wall. The room is
AC, but not on all day - i would figure with NY being 105 or so today,
the room has to be somewhere around 80+ (easily). Was planning to put
the glass on today - i Will run the AC for a bit and treat that glass
very carefully!

Rossz

Jul 22, 2011, 10:46:28 AM7/22/11
Happened to me a few weeks ago on my IJ: just barely touched the metal
side-rail and bang! exploded in my hands, tiny cuts on the hands and
lots of pieces to vacuum.. not on the playfield hopefully.

Some pieces were found a few meters from where the glass "exploded",
so I think they can really fly, especially in a eye nearby (didn't
happen, hopefully as my little son was not far away from me!).

Replaced it with non-tempered glass, and now:
- I don't let anyone (especially the kids) around the glass
- I always put a soft cloth between the glass and the floor when I
remove them, and avoid touching metal
- I have way more respect for the playfield glasses when I move them.

Frank Furhter

Jul 22, 2011, 10:55:03 AM7/22/11

Temperature changing maybe, but there was likely a flaw in the glass
already that was exasperated by temp changing. Sorry to hear about your
cut, glass loss, and mess to clean up. Them tiny little bits and pieces
are a PITA for sure.

--
The Frankster, a playfield prankster
Once upon my crank her ballpark shrank.

Frank Furhter

Jul 22, 2011, 10:57:30 AM7/22/11

Always use tempered glass, the strength and resulting pieces from a
break are less dangerous. As always, put something under the glass, the
strength of the glass is perpendicular to the surface. Its very weak
and brittle on the edges. Never handle as you say around children, or
without putting your foot under (with a shoe) before lowering to the
ground. It takes nothing at all for the glass to shatter regardless of
temp or not from the edge.

NunjoBiznezz

Jul 22, 2011, 11:09:07 AM7/22/11
I have a rug that I set the glass on, I wonder if the heat difference
between the air and the garage floor played a part.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/LYrYMhQFChz0GFaILp_nFw?feat=directlink

It happened so fast, I don't know if I touched anything with the glass,
I was just picking it up, holding it at the center of each side.

calvin12

Jul 22, 2011, 11:11:31 AM7/22/11

you put non tempered on the game? just to cover it or to play??

Underspin

Jul 22, 2011, 11:27:56 AM7/22/11
Scary. Thanks for the heads up. So happy it didn't explode into the
LOTR!!

Dave Bishop

Jul 22, 2011, 11:32:42 AM7/22/11

NunjoBiznezz

Jul 22, 2011, 11:44:08 AM7/22/11
Neat video. I'm guessing now that I probably tapped the edge of the
glass on something while picking it up. Lesson learned!

TheKorn

Jul 22, 2011, 11:50:11 AM7/22/11
Rossz <ross...@gmail.com> wrote in news:734bf15b-f854-4bc5-8b10-9786e4399cc7
@p31g2000vbs.googlegroups.com:

> Replaced it with non-tempered glass, and now:

Bad move. I've broken both tempered and non-tempered glasses, and let me tell you
the non-tempered was way, WAY worse.

When tempered glass breaks, you basically get small cubes. Sure, they have some
sharp edges, but in general the debris is pretty harmless. (I've had a sheet
explode in my hand... I was holding a sheet of glass one handed, then the next
moment I wasn't and there were cubes of glass at my feet.)

When non-tempered glass breaks, you get large and heavy DAGGERS of glass. If you're
unlucky enough to have it break while installed in a game (like I did), you can wind
up having those daggers of glass pitch down and gore your playfield. Oh, and then
you have the safety problem of trying to remove and deal with all those broken
daggers of glass.

Cleaning up tempered glass is a bit more of a pain in the ass, but there is no way
I'd ever knowingly use plate glass in a game.

--
Have a home video that's trapped on your camera? Want to share it on the web or on
DVD?

http://www.webwidevideo.com/

Mike O

Jul 22, 2011, 11:55:08 AM7/22/11
Ross,

installed there from the factory and your concerns should be the
same. The physical risk to humans with plate glass is so much greater
than from tempered glass.

My experience with tempered glass has been as others have identified.
It rarely breaks when setting it on the ground or hard surface, not
that it can't if you are not careful. I have had two glasses break in
my 14 years in the pinball hobby and both broke in my hands when I was
either pulling the glass from a game or getting ready to put it back
in a game. When it goes it goes. Very little you can prepare for
other than to have spare glass sitting around for when you break
one.

Mike O.
Team-EM

Riles

Jul 22, 2011, 12:03:09 PM7/22/11

I wonder if a temperature difference in the glass set up some stress
forces? Ever heard of a Prince Ruperts drop? Check it out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V2eCFsDkK0

--
Riles
This USENET post sent from http://rgparchive.com

Pin_crazed

Jul 22, 2011, 12:08:29 PM7/22/11
As Frank mentioned, it takes very little impact to tempered glass on the edges or corners to shatter it. Never put it on a cement floor without some form of padding. I shattered a glass when it slid about 1/4" on the cement floor. It blew up, sounded like a gun went off and I was diamond picking for months.

It has been said too many times, never use anything but tempered glass on your machine, you are asking for severe injury if you do(to yourself and the machine).

Pinhead!

Jul 22, 2011, 12:14:47 PM7/22/11
Since it happened to me, I treat it like nitro.

John Robertson

Jul 22, 2011, 12:18:59 PM7/22/11

DO NOT REPLACE TEMPERED WITH PLATE GLASS!

Tempered may be a nuisance to clean up, but plate glass can kill!

We handle playfield glass all day long and the only time we've had a
tempered sheet break (twice in almost thirty years) is when it was
struck on the edge. Customers that have had glass fail have been putting
it on edge on concrete or nail heads on wood flooring...

Tempered glass must be stored vertically or flat (all edges supported),
never on an angle - this stresses the glass and it can shatter if left
for periods of time (weeks/months). I had a curved rear window of an old
Fiat shatter after leaving it for a couple of months on two cushions - I
was working elsewhere in the basement and heard a 'boom' and the glass
was everywhere. Nothing fell on it, just tension fracture.

John :-#(#

www.flippers.com

Frank Furhter

Jul 22, 2011, 12:23:44 PM7/22/11
Riles wrote:
> I wonder if a temperature difference in the glass set up some stress
> forces? Ever heard of a Prince Ruperts drop? Check it out here:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V2eCFsDkK0

I had not heard of that before, and really does make sense. The
expansion force of the internal glass against the quickly cooled
'casing' of glass on the outside makes for a very strong opposite force
helping avoid breakage. The pressure release and structural failure of
the casing of glass from tempering is cool to watch in the 'explosion'.

John Robertson

Jul 22, 2011, 12:24:53 PM7/22/11

I'm amazed the person wasn't apparently wearing eye protection -
breaking that much tempered playfield glass is educational, but not
without better personal protection...

Mark Clayton

Jul 22, 2011, 12:33:08 PM7/22/11
When I handle tempered glass, I touch the edges as little as
possible. In spite of these random explosions, tempered glass
is incredibly tough. I was working on a game and I leaned the
playfield glass against the front of the cabinet. Later,
I was working behind the game and moved it forward a bit.
As I did, I saw the glass start to keel over in slow motion.
Instead of an explosion of glass, it just clattered on the
floor - no harm done.

-Mark
-----
http://pinballpal.com

Frank Furhter

Jul 22, 2011, 12:34:02 PM7/22/11
John Robertson wrote:
> Rossz wrote:

[ problems, and advice with sheet glass both tempered and not ]

> Tempered glass must be stored vertically or flat (all edges supported),

How vertical do you mean, at 90 degs from gravity, or near it is good
enough? I don't story flat, but I do store with a slight lean to it
(maybe 5 degs off vert).

calvin12

Jul 22, 2011, 12:54:06 PM7/22/11

ive seen the vid, non tempered on a game a a bad idea, and that vid is
tempered.

Lloyd Olson

Jul 22, 2011, 1:38:51 PM7/22/11
Your hands might have been cooler than the glass too. BANG. LTG :)

"NunjoBiznezz" <doug....@gmail.com> wrote in message

Joe Grenuk

Jul 22, 2011, 1:54:45 PM7/22/11
Hey, welcome to the club. You ain't a real pinhead till you lose a
sheet of glass. After dodging the bullet for 20 years, I broke my
cherry a few years ago. You got off a LOT easier than I did:

Here's the post from 2009, and by way of update, I am still finding
pieces in and around the game, 2 years later...

I recently completed a playfield strip on my Road Show, which gets my
vote for worst game to tear down, but, I digress...

I have had 5 or 6 errors on the game after I finished it, so I
decided
to have at it, and really finish it and clear the errors. After 20
minutes, done. Nice.

So, I pick up the glass.

Anyone know where this is going?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had slid it two thirds into the game, and the left ramp was a
little
too high and when the glass hit that ramp...

FLYING ROCKS!

I have always laughed at, laughed with, and felt bad for those of you
who have had this happen. Everything they have said about it is 100%
true! I cannot describe the sound. But I'll try anyway. It was like
gunshot. It echoed in the basement, and my ears rang like bells for 5
minutes, just about how long it took me to change my underwear.
After
5 minutes, the glass still wasn't finished breaking...it was sitting
there inside the newly torn-down game, making all sorts of little
crackling noises.

I found a diamond 6 games away, about 20 feet from ground zero.
Diamonds were on the glasses of 9 games, plus the Road Show.

Out with the shop vac. Got the big areas, then used duct tape to
fashion an adapter for my crevice tool of my wife's vacuum, so I
could
use it on the shop vac. Still can't reach all the stuff. Took a
section of old 1/2" garden hose, made a duct tape adapter for that,
and sucked some more, running that hose wherever I could stick it,
including in the ball trough and tunnels, and under the ramps.

Brushed and vacuumed and gently wiped with Novus 1.

Got it all.

Until I played a couple balls, and then I got 15 more.

Played another couple balls, 5 or 6 more.

And so on.

Total elapsed time?

20 minutes to fix what was broke and 2 hours to clean up my mess.

If you're considering busting a glass, I really recommend against it.

NunjoBiznezz

Jul 22, 2011, 2:29:30 PM7/22/11
Funny story, in retrospect this sort of incident reminds a person just
how lucky they are to be lurking about and in one piece. The noise of my
glass is still ringing in my ears, but I got a good laugh from your
story. I was lucky.

Aaron

Jul 22, 2011, 3:28:43 PM7/22/11

Hate to beat a dead horse here, but for safety sake you MUST use only
tempered glass.

I don't know anything about pinball (but I am learning fast), but in a
recent law enforcement/self defense training course one requirement
was to shoot a target from inside a car through the front windshield.
Of course, just like pinball glass the windshield is tempered for
safety and it explodes into lots of tiny rocks that harmlessly fall on
your lap -- even if you are wearing shorts. If you were to try the
same thing with non-tempered glass it would fall in extremely sharp
plates and shards and you could possibly lose a leg or foot when it
falls.

If you bust a non-tempered pinball field you would likely have bigger
problems than glass pieces in your pinball machine. You could lose a
finger, toe or foot from that incident.

Lloyd Olson

Jul 22, 2011, 4:02:01 PM7/22/11
I thought windshield glass was two sheets or regular glass with plastic
laminated between them. Most countries require that the glass used stays in
one piece in the event of an accident. Not thousands of pieces all over. LTG
:)

"Aaron" <robof...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Bob

Jul 22, 2011, 4:04:27 PM7/22/11
Happened to me at the Allentown show and glass went EVERYWHERE! If
you were in the same row as my machine you were guaranteed to get hit
with a piece of glass. Went into every nook & cranny of the game too.

Sucked. :(

Moral of the story is: never, ever set playfield glass down on
concrete!

Aaron

Jul 22, 2011, 4:13:32 PM7/22/11
I believe it is tempered then laminated. I do know that when you put a
9mm bullet through one at point blank range shooting from the inside out
it explodes as the OP described and you are sitting with a ton of glass
"rocks" on your lap that don't hurt you at all. Shot after shot with a
new glass each time had the same result.

I wonder if an automobile impact would have a different result -- in
fact I am sure it would as you often see it in pictures -- the laminate
is sorta holding it together. Probably the pressure from the bullet is
too much for the laminate?

I dunno, my only experience with tempered glass is tempered = good and
my terrible experience with non-tempered glass is non-tempered = bad.

Thanks,

Aaron

BarryMinnesota13

Jul 22, 2011, 4:49:51 PM7/22/11
Tempered glass is tough. Weak on the edges made weaker over time by
edge chips from handling. Scratches don't help either.

I had several sheets of used scratched glass that the recyclers
wouldn't pick up as whole sheets. They said to break them.

I sandwiched one piece between a tarp with a 2X4 centered under the
glass, bringing the glass 1 3/4" off the floor, apron end and head
end. I jumped on the glass, and it bent down to the floor both ends
and didn't break. Several jumps and the glass just bent down on the
ends without breaking. It took a heavy hammer blow to break the
glass.

I have broken two by accident in 30 years. Once was a edge bump and
the other was the glass was very cold (below zero) and warm hands,
picked it up and boom.

Barry

stevenp

Jul 22, 2011, 5:19:36 PM7/22/11

Frank Furhter;1746913 Wrote:

> Temperature changing maybe, but there was likely a flaw in the glass
> already that was *exasperated* by temp changing. Sorry to hear about
> your
> cut, glass loss, and mess to clean up. Them tiny little bits and
> pieces
> are a PITA for sure.

> --
> The Frankster, a playfield prankster
> Once upon my crank her ballpark shrank.

*exacerbated*

Just sayin'

--
stevenp

cudabee

Jul 22, 2011, 5:21:21 PM7/22/11

> When I handle tempered glass, I touch the edges as little as
> possible.  In spite of these random explosions, tempered glass
> is incredibly tough.  I was working on a game and I leaned the
> playfield glass against the front of the cabinet.  Later,
> I was working behind the game and moved it forward a bit.
> As I did, I saw the glass start to keel over in slow motion.
> Instead of an explosion of glass, it just clattered on the
> floor - no harm done.
>
> -Mark

This next story may never be dupicated, partly because nobody will
ever be that stupid ;-)

I once was setting up a game, removed the lockbar and laid it on the
game next to it.
Next thing i do is walk away to open the door for my wife.
When i return i notice the glass sliding out by itself and all i can
do is see it happen.
It falls out of the game onto the ground and.....nothing.
It laid there in one piece and i was in awe.
In my career in pinball i had glass breaking from no reason at all and
now this.
I decided to let it's molecules come to rest before i dared pick it up
and started doing some playfield cleaning.
At some point i turn right to pick up some polish and with my sleeve i
hit the stationary lockbar.
This decided to take a dive onto the glass(ofcourse) and that was the
end of it being in one piece.

After this drama i always stick a screwdriver between the glass and
the the front molding.

Frank Furhter

Jul 22, 2011, 5:28:57 PM7/22/11
stevenp wrote:
> Frank Furhter;1746913 Wrote:
>>
>> Temperature changing maybe, but there was likely a flaw in the glass
>> already that was *exasperated* by temp changing. Sorry to hear about
>> your
>> cut, glass loss, and mess to clean up. Them tiny little bits and
>> pieces
>> are a PITA for sure.
>>
>> --
>> The Frankster, a playfield prankster
>> Once upon my crank her ballpark shrank.
>
> *exacerbated*
>
> Just sayin'

*exacerbate*
Yah, likely correct, thanks for the usage man page.

USAGE The verbs exasperate and exacerbate are sometimes confused.
Exasperate, the more common of the two, means 'irritate or annoy to an
extreme degree' ( : He calls me three times a day asking for money. It’s
exasperating!). Exacerbate means 'increase the bitterness or severity
of' ( : the star shortstop’s loud self-congratulations only exacerbated
his teammates’ resentment).