NGG Right Gofer Stuck UP

Pinball Shark

Jul 5, 2011, 11:27:40 AM7/5/11

Got any tips for why Buzz won't go down? He'll go down if you smack him,
but the solenoid for his release doesn't always work. It will just make
a tiny sound and not fire all the way.

Here's what I've done so far. I've swapped connecters with Bud for a
test and it still doesn't work. I've changed solenoids, sleeves and coil
stops. I thought it may be due to the plunger sticking out too far so I
shimmed it back with 3 washers and it had no affect.

What am I missing here?

--
Pinball Shark

Pinball Shark
http://www.pinballshark.com
This USENET post sent from http://rgparchive.com

Lloyd Olson

Jul 5, 2011, 12:30:23 PM7/5/11
Remove the balls, tilt the playfield back. Push them both up one at a time
slowly. See if you can figure where it's binding. Then figure if something
is bent or coming apart.

If the plunger is one of those two part ones like Medieval Madness trolls,
check that the roll pin holding them togther hasn't started to work it's way
out and is dragging in the coil sleeve. Make sure the cage isn't coming
apart to where it fastens onto the plunger. LTG :)

"Pinball Shark" <sh...@pinballshark.com> wrote in message

Cliffy

Jul 5, 2011, 1:54:45 PM7/5/11
On 7/5/2011 8:27 AM, Pinball Shark wrote:
> Got any tips for why Buzz won't go down? He'll go down if you smack him,
> but the solenoid for his release doesn't always work. It will just make
> a tiny sound and not fire all the way.
>
> Here's what I've done so far. I've swapped connecters with Bud for a
> test and it still doesn't work. I've changed solenoids, sleeves and coil
> stops. I thought it may be due to the plunger sticking out too far so I
> shimmed it back with 3 washers and it had no affect.
>
> What am I missing here?

Check the trip release wire on the end of the plunger against the one on
Bud. Sounds like you have a mechanical hangup in the latch/release part
of the mech.

--
Cliff -CARGPB2
Home of the world's finest pinball protectors!

Chuck St louis

Jul 5, 2011, 2:50:11 PM7/5/11
There is a screw inside the gopher mech that hold it in place, this
screw backs out and causes the unit not to drop, this screw has to be
tightened about every 500 games. Just tighted the screw and your done.

Pinball Shark

Jul 5, 2011, 3:15:14 PM7/5/11

All the mechanics on Buzz work ok. I can push him up by hand and pull
him down by manually activating the down solenoid.

I've got both gofer mechs out now for comparison. I'm going to compare
both down solenoid push rods to see if there is a problem there.

Like I was saying before, the down solenoid just goes,
eh..........eh..........eh, and doesn't actually fire all the way.
Sometimes it will after I do it by hand. Then it's back to the wimpy
action.

Lloyd Olson

Jul 5, 2011, 3:19:23 PM7/5/11
If you don't see anything obvious, try swapping coils and see if problem
moves. LTG :)

"Pinball Shark" <sh...@pinballshark.com> wrote in message

boog...@comcast.net

Jul 5, 2011, 3:27:17 PM7/5/11
On Jul 5, 8:27 am, Pinball Shark <sh...@pinballshark.com> wrote:
> Got any tips for why Buzz won't go down? He'll go down if you smack him,
> but the solenoid for his release doesn't always work. It will just make
> a tiny sound and not fire all the way.
>
> Here's what I've done so far. I've swapped connecters with Bud for a
> test and it still doesn't work. I've changed solenoids, sleeves and coil
> stops. I thought it may be due to the plunger sticking out too far so I
> shimmed it back with 3 washers and it had no affect.
>
> What am I missing here?
>
> --
> Pinball Shark
>
> Pinball Sharkhttp://www.pinballshark.com

> This USENET post sent from  http://rgparchive.com

I believe that there is also a spring in place on the coil (been a
while), I changed mine out for a stronger one and got it working.

Pinball Shark

Jul 5, 2011, 3:58:34 PM7/5/11

I changed out the coil before and even tried another driver board to no
avail.

Someone emailed directly who had this problem and fixed it. I thought
this was a spacing issue and saw that Bud had a washer around the pull
rod at the end of the solenoid plunger so I added a washer to Buzz. This
worked for about 10 games and then the problem was back. I added another
washer and thought I had it fixed, but the problem came back again.

Now, what was suggested to me was to use a brass washer. I was adding
steel washers. I took them out and replaced it with one aluminum washer
(all I could find) and the problem is solved.

There seems to be some kind of magnetic thingy going on here. When the
solenoid rod is touching the entire bracket assembly the firing of the
solenoid is intermittent or just gives a little "eh" sound.

Thanks for all the replies. I hope the next person with this problem
reads this and doesn't spend 3 evenings and an afternoon trying to fix
it!

--
Pinball Shark

Pinball Shark

Cliffy

Jul 5, 2011, 6:00:55 PM7/5/11
On 7/5/2011 12:58 PM, Pinball Shark wrote:
> I changed out the coil before and even tried another driver board to no
> avail.
>
> Someone emailed directly who had this problem and fixed it. I thought
> this was a spacing issue and saw that Bud had a washer around the pull
> rod at the end of the solenoid plunger so I added a washer to Buzz. This
> worked for about 10 games and then the problem was back. I added another
> washer and thought I had it fixed, but the problem came back again.
>
> Now, what was suggested to me was to use a brass washer. I was adding
> steel washers. I took them out and replaced it with one aluminum washer
> (all I could find) and the problem is solved.
>
> There seems to be some kind of magnetic thingy going on here. When the
> solenoid rod is touching the entire bracket assembly the firing of the
> solenoid is intermittent or just gives a little "eh" sound.
>
> Thanks for all the replies. I hope the next person with this problem
> reads this and doesn't spend 3 evenings and an afternoon trying to fix
> it!

Waitacottonpickinminute... Does this coil have a grommet at the bottom
of the frame that the plunger rests on? If so, and if this grommet is
crushed or missing the coil will not be able to grab enough iron to pull
the plunger in. Those grommets are critical to the placement of the
plunger in the core. If not, just ignore this and return to your
regularly scheduled programming :)

Pinball Shark

Jul 5, 2011, 6:53:25 PM7/5/11

Nope, no rubber grommet.

Direct contact with the plunger to the metal frame is the only thing
that causes it not to work.

BTW: I just installed two of your lane protectors under the ramp drops
on NGG. They cover up the divots nicely!

Lloyd Olson

Jul 5, 2011, 6:56:33 PM7/5/11
It needs the rubber grommet ( the other side have one ? ) so the plunger
rides higher in the coil and gets a full whack. Too low and no power. LTG
:)

"Pinball Shark" <sh...@pinballshark.com> wrote in message

Lloyd Olson

Jul 5, 2011, 7:01:08 PM7/5/11
There isn't one in the manual, so forget the rubber grommet

There is a screw from the outside going up to hold the plunger, does your's
have that ? Are the both adjusted the same height ?

LTG :)

"Lloyd Olson" <l...@ssbilliards.com> wrote in message

Cliffy

Jul 5, 2011, 7:09:13 PM7/5/11
On 7/5/2011 3:53 PM, Pinball Shark wrote:
> Nope, no rubber grommet.
>
> Direct contact with the plunger to the metal frame is the only thing
> that causes it not to work.
>
> BTW: I just installed two of your lane protectors under the ramp drops
> on NGG. They cover up the divots nicely!

Great! Well, like Lloyd sez I'd compare with the other mech to make sure
whatever sets the height of the plunger, screw or grommet, must be the
same on both. Glad you're up and runnin' though!

Pinball Shark

Jul 5, 2011, 9:24:13 PM7/5/11

That adjustment is for the UP solenoid and changes the height of the
gofer, right? No problems, there.

The problem solenoid for me was the down solenoid that pulls the trip
wire and lowers the gofer. It won't fire properly if the brass washer is
missing. Anybody got a scientific explanation for that?

Lloyd Olson

Jul 5, 2011, 9:30:07 PM7/5/11
Somethins broke. LTG :)

"Pinball Shark" <sh...@pinballshark.com> wrote in message

Cliffy

Jul 5, 2011, 10:17:30 PM7/5/11
On 7/5/2011 6:24 PM, Pinball Shark wrote:
> That adjustment is for the UP solenoid and changes the height of the
> gofer, right? No problems, there.
>
> The problem solenoid for me was the down solenoid that pulls the trip
> wire and lowers the gofer. It won't fire properly if the brass washer is
> missing. Anybody got a scientific explanation for that?

Must be needed to break the residual magnetism. Not having ever owned
one I can't look at it to see :(
Beyond that I'm agreeing with Unca Lloyd's position... sumpn's broked :)

Pinball Shark

Jul 6, 2011, 9:45:32 AM7/6/11

You say it's broke. I say it's fixed. After 50 games it still works. :)

Michael Saraceno

Jul 6, 2011, 10:31:46 AM7/6/11
On Jul 6, 9:45 am, Pinball Shark <sh...@pinballshark.com> wrote:
> You say it's broke. I say it's fixed. After 50 games it still works. :)
>
> --
> Pinball Shark
>
> Pinball Sharkhttp://www.pinballshark.com

> This USENET post sent from  http://rgparchive.com

I'm the aforementioned direct emailer, and mine still works after
500+ games. Take that washer away, or replace it with a steel one,
and the gopher just won't go down. It would be interesting to hear
from other owners if they have those washers installed or not.