14-20 AWG vs 18-22 AWG

Dave

Dec 29, 2022, 4:11:43 PM12/29/22
Have a Williams Indiana Jones and looking to add some connectors between some of the mechs/components that don't have them. Just looking to make the game a little more modular so I can remove entire components for repair/maintenance as required. Some have these already - like the ramps which can be unplugged and removed entirely - but others like the flipper components and also the idol release component to name two don't. Have seen on YouTube guys who do high end restorations adding connections in this way and thought it was a good idea. I have found various molex connectors online but unsure about the AWG ratings and which to use. Seems to come done to two - 14-20 and 18-22 AWG. All other specs on these connectors are identical. Question is, which one to use? So hoping someone maybe able to provide some advice. Cheers.

Kerry Imming

Dec 30, 2022, 9:28:46 AM12/30/22
On 12/29/2022 3:11 PM, Dave wrote:
> Have a Williams Indiana Jones and looking to add some connectors between some of the mechs/components that don't have them. Just looking to make the game a little more modular so I can remove entire components for repair/maintenance as required. Some have these already - like the ramps which can be unplugged and removed entirely - but others like the flipper components and also the idol release component to name two don't. Have seen on YouTube guys who do high end restorations adding connections in this way and thought it was a good idea. I have found various molex connectors online but unsure about the AWG ratings and which to use. Seems to come done to two - 14-20 and 18-22 AWG. All other specs on these connectors are identical. Question is, which one to use? So hoping someone maybe able to provide some advice. Cheers.

There will be both 18 (flippers, coil power) and 22 gauge (lamps, some
coil returns) wires in the wiring harness, so I'd go with the 18-22 AWG
option.

- Kerry

John Robertson

Dec 30, 2022, 1:32:43 PM12/30/22
I agree with Kerry. The only time to use the 14-20 is if you are hooking
up more than two wires to the same terminal. Otherwise the insulation
holding flaps are too large and so difficult to crimp nicely.

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
#7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Dave

Dec 30, 2022, 7:14:44 PM12/30/22
Thanks John and Kerry. Appreciate the info.