TECH: Data East Star Wars -- No Sound

sseacord

Jan 28, 2007, 11:00:58 AM1/28/07
I have a DE Star Wars with sound problems. It started with the
intermittent sound problem -- kept going back to "May the force be
with you" which is the boot-up sound. I was thinking it was either
the power connector (C2) or the ribbon connector from the CPU board.
I pulled the board and LOOKED at the solder points on the back and
everything looked good (did not have time to reflow, so I skipped that
step). I tried reseating the connectors to little avail. However, I
did notice that when I squeezed C2 it seemed to work better and when I
released presure it would 'reset'. So, based on this I rebuilt the
connector (new housing / new pins) but did not replace the board side
connector. Anyway, now I seem to get NO sound at all. I tested
voltage at the connector. Voltages are close, but a bit off: 5v for
5v, -14v instead of -12v and 10v instead of 12v. I also tested the
voltage at FB1, FB3 and FB5 and I get the same voltage so I know the
connector is working proper (though I guess ground could be off --
though that seemed to have tested fine). I also get -5v at the
capacitor (C49) as anticipated. I also tried the ribbon cable from
Star Wars in my Jurrassic Park, so I think that eliminates the ribbon
cable. If I adjust the main volume pot I can get static and humming
from the speakers but no sound

I am wondering if I fried the PAL sound chips at some point while I
was working on things, but not sure how I would have done that. Is
there a way to test these chips or do I just need to order
replacements and try the replacements? Any other suggestions on what
I can check. Is my voltage too far off that it would be causing
problems (these voltages are very close to my JP, and that works fine
so I was not too concerned).

Thanks all... (and of course thanks to the Marvin Guides who got me
this far :->)

sseacord

Jan 29, 2007, 8:25:17 AM1/29/07
BTW -- I had also replaced the batteries with the power on so I did
not loose my settings. I doubt that would have any impact, but since
I am still stuck I am hoping any additional information might help and
somebody could give me a clue or let me know how to test the PAL
chips.

Thanks.

pinball pete

Jan 29, 2007, 1:15:41 PM1/29/07
i also have a problem with my de starwars sound
see the link below

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/
1f549bb9fd0f9653/4a7598cefc3a6ef7?lnk=st&q=star+wars+data+east
+sound&rnum=4#4a7598cefc3a6ef7

i have been so busy i havent been able to even try these suggestions.
please keep me posted if you manage to fix it.

Pete

On Jan 29, 1:25 pm, "sseacord" <sseac...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> BTW -- I had also replaced the batteries with the power on so I did
> not loose my settings. I doubt that would have any impact, but since
> I am still stuck I am hoping any additional information might help and
> somebody could give me a clue or let me know how to test the PAL
> chips.
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Jan 28, 11:00 am, "sseacord" <sseac...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > I have a DEStarWarswith sound problems. It started with the

> > intermittent sound problem -- kept going back to "May the force be
> > with you" which is the boot-up sound. I was thinking it was either
> > the power connector (C2) or the ribbon connector from the CPU board.
> > I pulled the board and LOOKED at the solder points on the back and
> > everything looked good (did not have time to reflow, so I skipped that
> > step). I tried reseating the connectors to little avail. However, I
> > did notice that when I squeezed C2 it seemed to work better and when I
> > released presure it would 'reset'. So, based on this I rebuilt the
> > connector (new housing / new pins) but did not replace the board side
> > connector. Anyway, now I seem to get NO sound at all. I tested
> > voltage at the connector. Voltages are close, but a bit off: 5v for
> > 5v, -14v instead of -12v and 10v instead of 12v. I also tested the
> > voltage at FB1, FB3 and FB5 and I get the same voltage so I know the
> > connector is working proper (though I guess ground could be off --
> > though that seemed to have tested fine). I also get -5v at the
> > capacitor (C49) as anticipated. I also tried the ribbon cable from

> >StarWarsin my Jurrassic Park, so I think that eliminates the ribbon

> > cable. If I adjust the main volume pot I can get static and humming
> > from the speakers but no sound
>
> > I am wondering if I fried the PAL sound chips at some point while I
> > was working on things, but not sure how I would have done that. Is
> > there a way to test these chips or do I just need to order
> > replacements and try the replacements? Any other suggestions on what
> > I can check. Is my voltage too far off that it would be causing
> > problems (these voltages are very close to my JP, and that works fine
> > so I was not too concerned).
>
> > Thanks all... (and of course thanks to the Marvin Guides who got me

> > this far :->)- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

sseacord

Jan 29, 2007, 2:48:07 PM1/29/07
Yeah -- I think my original problem with the repeating sound was the
input power connector (one of the pins was not very good). I figured
when I replaced that I would be in good shape but now I have no sound
at all. Trying to figure out why I have no sound and if there is a
way to replace the sound eproms or if I should just order another set
so I can eliminate those as a possibility.

Thanks for the feedback -- I had looked at that post earlier too.
There was also another really old post about how to check the PAL
chips, but no responses. I might be able to bring them to somebody
with a EPROM reader and they can check, but I was hoping for somethign
I could do with a DMM -- or I would even be willing to go and get
myself a logic probe if needed.

cody chunn

Jan 29, 2007, 3:20:22 PM1/29/07
I have had a few WPC sound boards that had a locked-repeating sound.
Replacing the sound RAM fixed the problem.

--
-cody
CARGPB4

"sseacord" <ssea...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

sseacord

Jan 30, 2007, 7:21:42 AM1/30/07
Thanks. I guess I will go ahead and order some new EPROMS. Does
anybody around here know the best source? I will probably upgrade
some other ROMS for other pins so somebody that is going to do a good
job at a good price would be ideal.

And thanks again.

S. Seacord
http://home.comcast.net/~sseacord/

On Jan 29, 3:20 pm, "cody chunn" <cchu...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I have had a few WPC sound boards that had a locked-repeating sound.
> Replacing the sound RAM fixed the problem.
>
> --
> -cody
> CARGPB4
>

> "sseacord" <sseac...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:1170100087....@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

> > Yeah -- I think my original problem with the repeating sound was the
> > input power connector (one of the pins was not very good). I figured
> > when I replaced that I would be in good shape but now I have no sound
> > at all. Trying to figure out why I have no sound and if there is a
> > way to replace the sound eproms or if I should just order another set
> > so I can eliminate those as a possibility.
>
> > Thanks for the feedback -- I had looked at that post earlier too.
> > There was also another really old post about how to check the PAL
> > chips, but no responses. I might be able to bring them to somebody
> > with a EPROM reader and they can check, but I was hoping for somethign
> > I could do with a DMM -- or I would even be willing to go and get
> > myself a logic probe if needed.
>
> > On Jan 29, 1:15 pm, "pinball pete" <pjdm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> i also have a problem with my de starwars sound
> >> see the link below
>
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/
> >> 1f549bb9fd0f9653/4a7598cefc3a6ef7?lnk=st&q=star+wars+data+east
> >> +sound&rnum=4#4a7598cefc3a6ef7
>
> >> i have been so busy i havent been able to even try these suggestions.
> >> please keep me posted if you manage to fix it.
>
> >> Pete
>

> >> On Jan 29, 1:25 pm, "sseacord" <sseac...@yahoo.com> wrote:- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

brian.g...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2016, 9:33:35 AM3/4/16
I know this is a very old post, but I have the same issue. Did you ever solve the problem? Thanks.

DMatos

Mar 4, 2016, 9:40:21 AM3/4/16
I never got mine to work, don't know about any of the others here.

I'm now thinking it's the amplifier since mine worked intermittently when you jiggled the volume knob and then it stopped all together.

Hopefully someone else figured it out!

sseacord

Aug 22, 2016, 10:19:01 PM8/22/16
I think I had a multitude of problems, starting with the power connector. The U19/U20 chips I bought, one of those was bad. In the end, it ended up being the volume knob in the lower cabinet. Replaced that with a part from Radio Shack and all was well in the land of Star Wars sound. Sounds like that potentiometer may be your issue too.

Good Luck.