WOT: Loud Banging noise in home at night. Please help.....Must Read!!

Mike MN

Nov 24, 2009, 2:34:22 AM11/24/09
Loud Banging noise in home at night. Please help.....Must Read!!

For 3-4 months now in MN and yes the weather is changing,it was august
when it started now its almost December. Its random times only at
night and not every day, could be 2 nights in a row then off 4 then
one, off 3. It sounds like some pounding on a stud in the wall with a
hammer,Very loud. It only happens once per night. The furnace is
never on, and all the registers are cold. Also water eater would do
it during the day too. It so loud you can feel it.

Its not the water softener, or hot water heater. Also does not seem
to be happening where pipes even are located. I have been up a few
times and heard it, but could not tell where, have it narrowed down to
inside wall maybe around a stair case, 6 steps.

I have slept down in the laundry room countless nights hoping that it
would do it so I could get a better location on it. I Even recorded it
with my laptop and a program. Its pounding more when it happens now,
like 12-15 loud bangs in no specific pattern. All happening within a
min, then nothing the rest of the night.

Its driving my family insane, hard to get a nights rest....I have
googled many sites on home settling. But this seems ridiculous.

Please help if you have any ideas.

Ohh and please no ghost ideas..really or other types of banging:-)

Mike

Captain Neo

Nov 24, 2009, 2:42:15 AM11/24/09
you sure it's not the water heater boiling crap off the bottom. Mine
gets loud pops all the time from burning shit off the bottom.

Mike MN

Nov 24, 2009, 2:45:27 AM11/24/09
On Nov 24, 1:42 am, Captain Neo <nwoj...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> you sure it's not the water heater boiling crap off the bottom.  Mine
> gets loud pops all the time from burning shit off the bottom.

I was sitting in right next to it when it happened and it was not near
the water heater, or for that matter anything that would make sense...
who would I even call and pay to help me?

John Robertson

Nov 24, 2009, 2:47:00 AM11/24/09

Does it seem to happen more if the day is sunny? I'm thinking something
gets warmed up during the day then shrinks at night - vent pipe for
example that is a very tight fit through a wooden hole...roof heats up
during the day then contracts at night.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com

SaBbRa CaDaBra

Nov 24, 2009, 3:18:02 AM11/24/09

Do a search on the This Olde House website. I think I saw an episode
where they covered this. If I remember correctly it's in the pipes.
Do you have radiant heat? I think it's air in the pipes, or possibly
a radiator that is not leveled.

SaBbRa CaDaBra

Nov 24, 2009, 3:22:56 AM11/24/09

jiar...@aol.com

Nov 24, 2009, 7:00:35 AM11/24/09
On Nov 24, 2:34�am, Mike MN <mdeisenzim...@gmail.com> wrote:

Had that in my previous home base board heat and when the copper
expanded it rubbed against wood.

Bryan

Nov 24, 2009, 7:08:43 AM11/24/09
On Nov 24, 2:22 am, SaBbRa CaDaBra <generalemailacco...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> http://home.howstuffworks.com/question89.htm

going on the last post with the water heat or radient heat. The pipes
that run through the house going from the fins to the boiler. You
probably need to bleed the lines the lines are hitting against the
studs that they either run by or through. Bryan

pinhobbie

Nov 24, 2009, 8:54:39 AM11/24/09
On Nov 24, 2:34 am, Mike MN <mdeisenzim...@gmail.com> wrote:

heat is the obvious answer,but it could also be the toilet fill
vavle.what your describing is the noise that is made when a fill vale
has gone defective,i dont know how handy you are,if you goto a home
center you can buy a rebuild kit for about 30.00,replace all the parts
and this should eliminate the problem.how many toilets in the house?
next time it happens goto the tank on the toilet and lift the float if
it stops the noise you found your problem.btw the other banging from
an incorrectly pitched radiator would only occur if you have a steam
system,it does not typically occur with water piping,and baseboard
will generally make a tick,tick,tick noise.

Eric A.

Nov 24, 2009, 9:40:02 AM11/24/09

Did you recently turn your humidifier back on? If so the bang could be
from the water valve. No?

Eric A.
313-268-0541

erickit

Nov 24, 2009, 10:02:38 AM11/24/09
> will generally make a tick,tick,tick noise.- Hide quoted text -

I would also suspect water hammer from a slow leaking toilet.
Try turning off the water to the toilets at night and see if the
hammering goes away.

Eric

Bryan Kelly

Nov 24, 2009, 10:09:06 AM11/24/09
It could be a local old electrician that can't sleep at night and has
nothing better to do once he's up. Hey, that's what you get for
living so close.

That, or you need to start sleeping in the same room with your wife,
so you can keep an eye on her. :-)

Bryan (CARGPB 14)
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins
Home of the EXECUTIVE Pin Footie http://www.pinfooties.com

chuckster

Nov 24, 2009, 10:16:55 AM11/24/09
OK, its time for the process of elimination. Shut off the water at the
main and turn off the gas or electric to the H2O heater.... This will
eliminate the water system "IF" the pops stop. Try this for a night.

Other things:
Any sheet rock cracks?
New wood floors in the house?
Overloading of floors? Waterbed, pinball machines, overweight people
in the same bed.
New or overloaded cabinets?
How do things look in the attic? Dampness, Checking on roof rafters,
Critters.
How do things look in the basement? Foundation cracks, Sagging pipes,
Wood dust/chips.
What type of siding on exterior?

Does this only happen at night?

Any history on the home? Indian burial ground, murder/suicide/death in
home.... No I am not kidding.

brokenvette

Nov 24, 2009, 10:51:30 AM11/24/09
On Nov 24, 1:34 am, Mike MN <mdeisenzim...@gmail.com> wrote:

Its a poltergeist. When stuff start flying around the room get out or
you might wind up inside your TV.

Seriously, I heard the same thing in my house the last 2 nights and I
couldnt gigure out what it was.

Mike MN

Nov 24, 2009, 10:56:11 AM11/24/09

First off, thank you all for the help!!

Ok here is a bit more to help, I did replace a flapper in one toilet
down stairs. We only have 2 toilets.
I will change out the toilets internals anyway, after 10 years its
most likely time. Also we have a furnace, no radiator or baseboard.
House is only 10 years old.

Back in august when it was warm out it did it too... so this may rule
out furnace related issues. I could turn off the water for an evening
or 3. Great Idea also I had the humidifier on an I turned it off , I
will turn it back on. Seems like it could be water , really deep
sounding bummp , bummp.

Nothing really new in the house, no water bed, I did check in the
attic , everything look normal dry and nice insulation. No
outstanding cracks to find in walls or cement in laundry room.

Again Thank you all!! Happy Holidays!! If you think of anything
else please post... I will let you all know if I figure it out.. after
I sleep..lol

Mike

Gott Lieb?

Nov 24, 2009, 11:38:17 AM11/24/09
Are you on municipal water or a well? If you're on city water, is
there a single check valve or dual check valve on the incoming line?
If there isn't a check valve on the line, there may be a pressure
increase elsewhere in the main, and the water could be getting sucked
out of your toilet tank. This would occur only if the ballcocks in
your toilets are not anti-siphon. The old style typically have a
float rod and float ball, but some older Fluidmaster ballcocks, which
are rust in color, (IIRC, they were the series 100). Equally, there
are some other lesser common brands out there, but I'm not sure if
they are anti-siphon or not. Most of them are. Now, if you are on
city water, and do have a check valve on the incoming line, the check
valve tappet may be failing. This could in turn allow water to siphon
back to the main through your toilets.

You mentioned you have a water softener too. What brand valve head is
on it, (not the softener brand, but the valve head)? There are only
so many different kinds of valve heads with the most common being
Fleck and Autotrol. If it's an older series 155 Autotrol head, once
the valves got old, they would actually hammer during regeneration.
This sound is loud enough to wake the dead! Once again, this only
occurs when the softener goes into the regeneration cycle, which is
typically set for the wee hours of the morning.

If you're on a well, I'll follow up with some other suggestions.

Jim

Dale Smola

Nov 24, 2009, 12:06:14 PM11/24/09
> Mike- Hide quoted text -

When you were in the attic, any signs of critters? You may have a
furry squatter that has a way in an out by way of the soffits, etc..
Happening more at night makes me think of a nocturnal pest.

Dale Smola

John Inc

Nov 24, 2009, 12:17:11 PM11/24/09
Something that happened at our house when I was a kid: Tree branches
hanging over the roof would occasionaly bang against the soil stack when it
was windy.

--
John

Toolguy

Nov 24, 2009, 12:27:25 PM11/24/09
My guess's... Pipes, something is calling for water and the pipes
bang when the water flows since it is the only thing being used, or
the water softner rejuvenating at night?

Go see that movie Paranormal Activity!

I am kidding...

Lloyd Olson

Nov 24, 2009, 12:52:51 PM11/24/09
If it was 30 below I'd suspect the house/framework. Happening in warmer
weather is odd.

You sure you don't have a critter in duct work, a wall, or even close by
outside and it resonates and sounds like inside ? LTG :)

"Mike MN" <mdeise...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Bryan Kelly

Nov 24, 2009, 1:22:03 PM11/24/09
Mike, ya got a plumber living across the street. Have you checked
with John?

On Nov 24, 9:56 am, Mike MN <mdeisenzim...@gmail.com> wrote:

> First off, thank you all for the help!!
>
> Ok here is a bit more to help, I did replace a flapper in one toilet
> down stairs.  We only have 2 toilets.
> I will change out the toilets internals anyway, after 10 years its
> most likely time.   Also we have a furnace, no radiator or baseboard.
> House is only 10 years old.
>
> Back in august when it was warm out it did it too...  so this may rule
> out furnace related issues.  I could turn off the water for an evening
> or 3.  Great Idea also I had the humidifier on an I turned it off , I
> will turn it back on.  Seems like it could be water , really deep
> sounding bummp , bummp.
>
> Nothing really new in the house, no water bed, I did check in the
> attic , everything look normal dry and nice insulation.  No
> outstanding cracks to find in walls or cement in laundry room.
>
> Again Thank you all!!  Happy Holidays!!   If you think of anything
> else please post... I will let you all know if I figure it out.. after
> I sleep..lol
>

> Mike- Hide quoted text -

Mark Clayton

Nov 24, 2009, 1:34:33 PM11/24/09
If it only happens at night, and you've eliminated anything that
might be operated on a timer (e.g. water softener backwash), it's
probably an animal.

If you have a low roof, overhanging tree or some other way for
a big animal to access a section of the roof, that may be the
path it takes at night during its normal foraging or hunting
route. It's probably not a squirrel, but it could be a deer,
bobcat, or any other feral nocturnal animal. It could be using
the corner of your roof as a jumping-off point.

-Mark
-----
http://pinballpal.com

chief

Nov 24, 2009, 2:53:33 PM11/24/09
Mike,

What you are hearing is called water hammer.

It is caused by water shutting off somewhere in the house and making
the pipes bang inside the walls. It could be toilet, the water
softner, the washer, or any other point of use. The banging will not
be at the point use, it could be in any wall that has piping.

You should install a water hammer arrester. They cost about $12 at
Home Depot and will fix the problem. If you don't fix it your pipes
could start to leak.

Chris

Mike MN

Nov 24, 2009, 2:59:59 PM11/24/09
Bryan,

Yes I did check with john, hes not sure because he cant hear it.
Thats the hard part when it may not happen for a week, then it will do
it 2am.

Guys,

The water softener does have a timer and cycles but I hear it and it
sounds normal, also the noise then would be the same time every night.
And its not.

I have no trees by my house, trees are too small. I went to home
depot and replaced both of my toilets gutz just now. One had anti and
one was old school. We will see.

I just cant see a critter making that loud of a noise unless hes
carrying a 16oz hammer. The sounds are to similar too , no
scratching, clawing,ect. I did think that for a while, I inspected
the roof and all around the outside of the house. Seemed really sealed
up good.

I will try the new toilet gutz , then shut all water off at night see
if it goes away. May not be able to do this for about a week , having
in-laws overs and they need to piss at night.lol

Ohhhh and I did see the movie paranormal activity , it did not help!!

Mike

Mike MN

Nov 24, 2009, 3:06:38 PM11/24/09
I also am on City water,not well. I cant tell what head is on the
water softener, its a surge system about ,6-7 years old. Has a nice
silver head on it where the pipes connect.

Also I did install the 5year fluid master anti siphon kits.

Mike

Mike MN

Nov 24, 2009, 3:08:50 PM11/24/09

Chris, Is this just a small run of plastic pipe like wirsbo?

arkanerd

Nov 24, 2009, 3:56:21 PM11/24/09

Is the noise any where near a fridge, or freezer?

Matt

John Bigbooty

Nov 24, 2009, 4:12:11 PM11/24/09
I think someone just won a free game!

Someone had to say it.

Mark
Atlanta GA

David Gray

Nov 24, 2009, 4:40:52 PM11/24/09
In article <ZGVOm.259137$Jp1.1...@en-nntp-06.dc1.easynews.com>,
Mark Clayton <spamus...@i87.com> wrote:

> If it only happens at night, and you've eliminated anything that
> might be operated on a timer (e.g. water softener backwash), it's
> probably an animal.
>
> If you have a low roof, overhanging tree or some other way for
> a big animal to access a section of the roof, that may be the
> path it takes at night during its normal foraging or hunting
> route. It's probably not a squirrel, but it could be a deer,

I didn't think deer on the rooftop were due for another month or so??

chief

Nov 24, 2009, 5:06:01 PM11/24/09

> Chris,  Is this just a small run of plastic pipe like wirsbo?

Mike,

A water hammer arrestor is a metal device that acts as a shock
absorber for sudden changes in water pressure in your pipes. If you
google "Sioux Chief water hammer arrestor" you'll see what I mean.

If you have an older house that was built with air filled risers they
may have become water logged. You can fix it by turning shutting the
water supply off at your pressure tank and opening a some faucets to
drain the water out of your pipes, which will allow air to fill into
the risers. Eventually the risers will become water logged again.
The arrestor is a more permanent solution.

Chris

glennw

Nov 24, 2009, 5:18:47 PM11/24/09
On Nov 24, 2:34 am, Mike MN <mdeisenzim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Loud Banging noise in home at night. Please help.....Must Read!!
>
> For 3-4 months now in MN and yes the weather is changing,it was august
> when it started now its almost December. Its random times only at
> night and not every day, could be 2 nights in a row then off 4 then
> one, off 3.  It sounds like some pounding on a stud in the wall with a
> hammer,Very loud.  It only happens once per night. The furnace is
> never on, and all the registers are cold.  Also water eater would do
> it during the day too.  It so loud you can feel it.
>
>   Its not the water softener, or hot water heater. Also does not seem
> to be happening where pipes even are located. I have been up a few
> times and heard it, but could not tell where, have it narrowed down to
> inside wall maybe around a stair case, 6 steps.
>
> I have slept down in the laundry room countless nights hoping that it
> would do it so I could get a better location on it. I Even recorded it
> with my laptop and a program.  Its pounding more when it happens now,
> like 12-15 loud bangs in no specific pattern. All happening within a
> min, then nothing the rest of the night.
>
> Its driving my family insane, hard to get a nights rest....I have
> googled many sites on home settling.  But this seems ridiculous.
>
> Please help if you have any ideas.
>
> Ohh and please no ghost ideas..really or other types of banging:-)
>
> Mike

If you have roof trusses it could be "truss heave". Stick built homes
don't have that problem (usually). In my old house with trusses the
ceilings would move up every winter nearly 1/2" and crack all the
drywall joint corners unless said corner was not attached to a ceiling
truss or wall stud within two feet of the corner. In that case the
drywall would just bend.
I finally had to put wood moldings up and attach them to the ceiling
only so they could go up and down as the trusses heaved and also hide
the cracked corners. They did make noise sometimes too, but usually in
much colder weather and less often than yours. Maybe you have
excessive moisture in them from a leaking bathroom fan, ceiling can
lights or whatever. Therefore they are expanding more severly than
they normally would. Good luck.
I do agree however that it sounds like water hammer. Shut off your
water at the water meter for the night and see if it still happens.
You will still get one flush out of each toilet with the water shut
off thru the night.

cody chunn

Nov 24, 2009, 5:48:51 PM11/24/09
Any arguments with neighbors recently?

Is the noise coming from an external wall? Check the outside of that wall
for dimples from a hammer.

--
-cody
--CARGPB4

"Lloyd Olson" <l...@ssbilliards.com> wrote in message

kreed

Nov 24, 2009, 6:40:02 PM11/24/09
On Nov 24, 5:34 pm, Mike MN <mdeisenzim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Loud Banging noise in home at night. Please help.....Must Read!!
>
> For 3-4 months now in MN and yes the weather is changing,it was august
> when it started now its almost December. Its random times only at
> night and not every day, could be 2 nights in a row then off 4 then
> one, off 3. It sounds like some pounding on a stud in the wall with a
> hammer,Very loud. It only happens once per night. The furnace is
> never on, and all the registers are cold. Also water eater would do
> it during the day too. It so loud you can feel it.
>
> Its not the water softener, or hot water heater. Also does not seem
> to be happening where pipes even are located. I have been up a few
> times and heard it, but could not tell where, have it narrowed down to
> inside wall maybe around a stair case, 6 steps.
>
> I have slept down in the laundry room countless nights hoping that it
> would do it so I could get a better location on it. I Even recorded it
> with my laptop and a program. Its pounding more when it happens now,
> like 12-15 loud bangs in no specific pattern. All happening within a
> min, then nothing the rest of the night.
>
> Its driving my family insane, hard to get a nights rest....I have
> googled many sites on home settling. But this seems ridiculous.
>
> Please help if you have any ideas.
>
> Ohh and please no ghost ideas..really or other types of banging:-)
>
> Mike

Had something like that, turned out to be a certain type of tap washer
(looking side on, the rubber part was a "C" shape rather than just a
flat rubber disc). When the shower was turned on (usually only by a
certain person) the plumbing would sound like someone was bashing the
pipes with a hammer. It was MUCH worse than normal water hammer, and
didn't necessarily happen near the shower. My theory was that when
the water was at a certain flow rate, the rubber "flaps" at the front
of the washer could be at the right harmonic to oscillate and cause
this noise. The person who seemed to cause this might have liked
having a shower with a lower pressure than normal and this was just
the right flow rate to start an oscillation ? (Turning the water on
more caused it to stop)

If you have a similar system like this in (say) a toilet cistern, and
there is a very slow water leak into the bowl, it may take a few hours
for the cistern level to drop enough to activate the fill mechanism,
causing this to happen in the early AM, a few hours after the last
person last flushed the loo before going to bed.

You might not ever hear this during the day, as 1> no one might be
home 2> If someone is home, the toilet might not ever be left unused
for long enough for the leak to drop the water level sufficiently.
Depending on your area, the water pressure might be higher at night
than during the day also.

Due to the cistern water level being close to full, rather than
totally empty (like during a normal flush), this may be causing the
fill valve to only ever get partially open, and if its troublesome,
causing the hammer. A normal flush, the float would drop right down,
causing the water to come on at full pressure.

This might then go away as sufficient water quickly refills the
cistern, raises the float and cuts off the flow. This might not take a
long time to happen.

One way to check for this would be to cut off the water supply
overnight and see what happens.

w-mor...@ti.com

Nov 24, 2009, 6:50:43 PM11/24/09
On Nov 24, 1:34 am, Mike MN <mdeisenzim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Loud Banging noise in home at night. Please help.....Must Read!!
>
> For 3-4 months now in MN and yes the weather is changing,it was august
> when it started now its almost December. Its random times only at
> night and not every day, could be 2 nights in a row then off 4 then
> one, off 3. It sounds like some pounding on a stud in the wall with a
> hammer,Very loud. It only happens once per night. The furnace is
> never on, and all the registers are cold. Also water eater would do
> it during the day too. It so loud you can feel it.
>
> Its not the water softener, or hot water heater. Also does not seem
> to be happening where pipes even are located. I have been up a few
> times and heard it, but could not tell where, have it narrowed down to
> inside wall maybe around a stair case, 6 steps.
>
> I have slept down in the laundry room countless nights hoping that it
> would do it so I could get a better location on it. I Even recorded it
> with my laptop and a program. Its pounding more when it happens now,
> like 12-15 loud bangs in no specific pattern. All happening within a
> min, then nothing the rest of the night.
>
> Its driving my family insane, hard to get a nights rest....I have
> googled many sites on home settling. But this seems ridiculous.
>
> Please help if you have any ideas.
>
> Ohh and please no ghost ideas..really or other types of banging:-)
>
> Mike

I have had this problem before in cold weather changing over from hot
living in upper north east. It was nails moving out of studs. Either
completely and or slipping. Makes an unreal noise.

Bill

madsygrl

Nov 24, 2009, 10:36:29 PM11/24/09
Do you have a sump pump?
Our pump does the pipe bang thing when it shuts off.

Maybe there's a leak underground that's filling up and causing the
sump to come on at that time.

MAD.

Mike MN

Nov 26, 2009, 11:37:13 PM11/26/09
I do have a sump pump, but have slept many a night in the area its
seems to be coming from and hear the sump pump all the time. Its not
that. It did cross my mind.

I will know more after this weekend , I will have time to test all the
great ideas out....

Man who needs fixya when you have great guys and gals on RGP!!!!!

Mike

so

Nov 27, 2009, 12:02:39 AM11/27/09
Many sudden on/off changes in water pressure can possibly cause water
hammer. The most common is a washing machine, outside sprinklers and
toilet, but don't forget to check other possible causes, such as an
ice maker, reverse osmosis water filters and other water usage
appliances which automatically turn on and off.

Are your pipes copper or plastic?

scott

Mike MN

Dec 9, 2009, 9:42:16 PM12/9/09

Update today :
After I got back from thanksgiving break, so about a week and a half
ago. Since I changed out both toilets insides including the
flappers, and also turned on as many faucets and turned off main to
let all water drain out and re prime the system so I have the air
shocks again.

I do have copper pipes.

Last night around 5 bangs at different times, only 2 real close
together and they were not as loud as before. And maybe one other
night in the past 10 days a few bangs. Seems like we are on the right
path with the water hammer. I plan to turn off the mains to the
washing machine next to test that. Its only 3 years old and its a HE
really nice one.

Any way the sump pump has been turned off for the winter so we know
its not that,or the sprinkler has been shut down since october, so
thats out too.

Ice maker has a small tap , just like the humidifier, but I had the
humidifier off and it was still happening, I did not try to turn of
the puncture value, If I do it could leak..

Still a work in progress...

Mike

falconfixer

Dec 9, 2009, 10:11:23 PM12/9/09
On Nov 24, 10:36 pm, madsygrl <mpursgl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you have a sump pump?
> Our pump does the pipe bang thing when it shuts off.
>
> Maybe there's a leak underground that's filling up and causing the
> sump to come on at that time.
>
> MAD.

You can fix the sump pump bang really easily if you'd like. I made a
hammer arrestor out of some scrap PVC a tee, and an end cap. Worlks
great and no banging sump pump.

Dave

chief

Dec 9, 2009, 10:23:58 PM12/9/09
Mike,

You can disable the ice maker by lifting up the bar that sits on the
ice. That way you don't have to mess around with the saddle valve.

Doubt the washer has anything to do with it unless you are doing wash
in your sleep :)

Chris

keith

Dec 9, 2009, 11:39:20 PM12/9/09
House on slab, the slab is shifting, causing the studs/ceiling/truss
structure to stress, then pop.

House on pier/beam, the ground is swelling/shrinking, causing the
studs/ceiling/truss structure to stress then pop.

My Dallas house does this, and it is the ground shifting (earth pushed
off a hill to make house site) during settling/swelling/shrinking,
causing stress/flexure in the structure, whence nails begin to pull,
causing the popping sounds.

Mike MN

Dec 15, 2009, 1:43:17 AM12/15/09
Its not sump pump, or water softener I have tested with them off, and
its winter sump pump has been off for awhile. I will try cutting main
water in evenings now to make I will have to give it like 3 weeks to
make really sure. It hasent happened like last night for some time.
About 12 loud bangs, 2 then 3 then 1,1,1...3 more , all within about
30 sec- 1min.

Mike

Mike MN

Dec 18, 2009, 8:26:35 AM12/18/09
This is still driving me nuts, I have been turning of the main water
coming into the house for the past 4 nights and last night around
1:30am. We heard around 10 or so loud bangs again. It could take up
to 2 weeks to happen.

Is this possible water hammer with the main turned off?

I did not open a faucet so the pressure was still their. Will it
make a difference if I turn off main and drain by opening lower
faucets in house?

Remember its been happening since August 80 degrees.

Mike

EM's forever

Dec 18, 2009, 8:46:55 AM12/18/09
I had a problem like this years ago. Turned out I had a family of
rats living in the attic. Sounded like a football game up there when
they were obviously making noise against the heat ducting from the
furnace.

m.log...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2012, 1:24:45 PM12/10/12
On Monday, November 23, 2009 11:34:22 PM UTC-8, Mike MN wrote:
> Loud Banging noise in home at night. Please help.....Must Read!!
>
> For 3-4 months now in MN and yes the weather is changing,it was august
> when it started now its almost December. Its random times only at
> night and not every day, could be 2 nights in a row then off 4 then
> one, off 3. It sounds like some pounding on a stud in the wall with a
> hammer,Very loud. It only happens once per night. The furnace is
> never on, and all the registers are cold. Also water eater would do
> it during the day too. It so loud you can feel it.
>
> Its not the water softener, or hot water heater. Also does not seem
> to be happening where pipes even are located. I have been up a few
> times and heard it, but could not tell where, have it narrowed down to
> inside wall maybe around a stair case, 6 steps.
>
> I have slept down in the laundry room countless nights hoping that it
> would do it so I could get a better location on it. I Even recorded it
> with my laptop and a program. Its pounding more when it happens now,
> like 12-15 loud bangs in no specific pattern. All happening within a
> min, then nothing the rest of the night.
>
> Its driving my family insane, hard to get a nights rest....I have
> googled many sites on home settling. But this seems ridiculous.
>
> Please help if you have any ideas.
>
> Ohh and please no ghost ideas..really or other types of banging:-)
>
> Mike

Having the same issue, tried all of the above w/o result. I'm having a plumber check into it. I'll post with his result.

ValidPowerDetector

Dec 10, 2012, 6:44:39 PM12/10/12
Ditto the water hammer idea. I had them until we installed the arresters.
Besides being noisy, they are also not good for any equipment in the water
system, a lot of force there. Install on both hot and cold lines. They
usually put them close to the washing machine, as it shut off the water
rather abruptly.

On Submarines, we would get some tremendous water hammers if some dufus
shut a valve too fast. Usually resulted in a severe reprimand.

John Robertson

Dec 10, 2012, 6:54:36 PM12/10/12
As a test for water problems try turning the house water system off at
night just before going to bed and drain the pipes (turn taps on in the
lowest part of the house).

If no banging that night then it is likely something in the plumbing.
Called "water hammering" - it can be quite loud and unexpected.

Toilets keep enough water for one flush...you may want to have a pail of
water handy if you have more than two people in the house that night...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com

bets...@yahoo.com

Jan 10, 2013, 5:31:41 PM1/10/13
We are having almost the exact problem/noises in our home recently. It comes and goes. Please, let me know what you find out. Our puppy and kids are scared of the loud bangs. Thanks, in advance.

jammer74

Jan 10, 2013, 6:44:20 PM1/10/13
Here in Michigan it is code to put air hammer arrestors, on anything
wih a solenoid (mechanically activated valve)that controls water flow
such as hot and cold pipes to washing machines, water supply to ice
makers and/ or refridgerator water dispensers,dishwashers and also
quite often over looked ,water supply to whole house humidifiers.
Humidifier solenoids can hit hard
If there are any clamp and pierce type saddle valves installed ,they
are not code in Michigan either.
Yes home depot and Lowe's sells these kits with cheap clear /milky
thin wall tubing to hook these things up and while extremely
convenient may cause serious problems down the road.
They will not shut off when needed ,or clog up easily.
The tubing will get brittle and crack.
HVAC installers use saddle valves a lot, because mechanical inspectors
often do not catch this violation, unless they happen to be
knowledgeable in plumbing code or also the plumbing inspector.
Potable water distribution falls under plumbing code not mechanical.

PVC pipes will expand when hot water flows through them,so it will
creak if the bored holes they pass through are too tight. When the
pipe cools itwill creak again.
More noticeable in the winter because of the cold air that can fill
the atmospheric vents that pass through your roof.

Duct work in your HVAC system can also knock and pop. The eye
appealing x's and uniformly stamped hash marks in the ductwork are
there to avoid this.

Back to the pipes.
If there are some copper pipes suspended by wire hangers or copper
bouys (spellcheck that one,I can say it but never had to spell it) the
pipe can "jump" or bounce around .
But clamping the pipe too tight to the floor joists doesn't.allow for
the pipes to ever so slightly expand or contract without squeaking
against the wood .

When installing h20 distribution in copper ,I put at least an 1/8 of
an inch between pipe and joists and sweat the pipe to the copper
coated wire hangers .
This gives them freedom to expand /contract without hitting wood.
Pipes have to be empty for them to heat enough for solder to take if
adding them to an already existing system.

Try to locate the source of noise . May be an unsecured pipe in the
wall.
It could be anything .lol
Email me when you locate it ,I'll try to help.

Proudly plumbing and putting up with people's shit since 99.
State licensed.

Forgot to mention ,the solid white pex tubing is available in 3/8 for
dishwashers ,and 1/4inch for humidifiers and refridgerators.it is
thick walled and will not crimp and crack like copper or get brittle
like the
Crap that comes in the kits.
On any pex tubing to these devices never use the brass compression
rings that come in the valve s as they will score the tubing and cause
it to split like perforated paper.
Nylon/poly rings called ferruls (spell check again I'm clueless) are
available for polysupply lines. Tapered to go in the valve sand
fittings.

Too much info I know ,I'm sorry.
Plumbing supply houses have everything if hd and Lowe's doesn't.

spartu...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2013, 10:59:17 AM12/7/13

spartu...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2013, 11:14:07 AM12/7/13
For the past two months now my wife has been talking about this noise just at night between midnight & 4am that is not water, cridder, or ghost related! I've read all the posts, & I will check into the nails that are coming loose, & banging, but just wanted to know if Mike came up w/ any solution to his problem, since ours were so similar? The noise is like a loud thud from the second floor, like someone large stumping down one foot hard with a sort of resonance at the end. No pattern on the bangs, and a speratic occurance of nights. Any ideas, or resolutions would be greatly appreciated!

CEG

Dec 7, 2013, 11:20:19 AM12/7/13
On Saturday, December 7, 2013 11:14:07 AM UTC-5, spartu...@gmail.com wrote:
> For the past two months now my wife has been talking about this noise just at night between midnight & 4am that is not water, cridder, or ghost related! I've read all the posts, & I will check into the nails that are coming loose, & banging, but just wanted to know if Mike came up w/ any solution to his problem, since ours were so similar? The noise is like a loud thud from the second floor, like someone large stumping down one foot hard with a sort of resonance at the end. No pattern on the bangs, and a speratic occurance of nights. Any ideas, or resolutions would be greatly appreciated!

How old is the house?

We get weird noises in my house as well. About 1-3pm almost daily we get a thump/bang noise at the back of the house. The duct work runs along the back which is what I blame the noise on. Also, in the master BR I get other types of knocks/bang noises which no duct work is near. I blame this on the house settling (do they ever stop settling?). My house was built in '65.

Both of my Parents did pass away in the house so maybe it's them?? :)

Chas

Frank Furhter

Dec 7, 2013, 12:29:34 PM12/7/13
Bad year for quality of housing, as well as the start of a very goofie
and sad generation.

--
The Frankster, a playfield prankster
Once upon my crank her ballpark shrank.

CEG

Dec 7, 2013, 12:47:00 PM12/7/13
I'm sure you have aches & pains as you're getting older as well. Must have been a bad year for baby making the year you were born.

serge.b...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2014, 1:47:18 AM1/3/14
We are having a very similar problem, and I can't figure it out. It seems that it just started recently, and it sort of coincided with a 3-day power outage from an ice storm. At least, I don't remember hearing it before. It has also been quite cold. It really does not appear to be related to the water pipes. It always sounds like it is coming from an outside wall. If it was nails popping as someone suggested, would I not see some sig s of it somewhere? The power has been bck for over aweek, but I can still hear the loud knocks every few nights.
We don't critters in the attic, or tree branches hanging close to the house, so it's not something external to the house.

Thanks.

Ron, (Boatcat)

Jan 3, 2014, 10:22:55 AM1/3/14

I had a similar problem years ago.
Not sure if it's the same as, "Water
Hammer," but, I would get 4-5 very audible
knocks every time my well pump would shut
off. The degree of noise varied quite a
bit with regard to time of day, external
temps, etc, (pump was submersible).
My well water was slowly leaking
back towards the well pump from the
holding tank until enough pressure was
lost causing the well pump to turn on and
bring the water back up to the house.
Once it shut off, BANG....There's that
loud rattle again. I wasn't even using any
water in the house, so this could happen
just anytime during the day-night.
I would notice this rattling at least once
a day however.
Adding another check valve just
before the water entered the first obstacle
in the house, which was the conditioner,
solved this problem.

whytat...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2014, 10:34:07 AM1/3/14
Not sure where you are located but we have had similar banging-popping noises on and off since just before Christmas--if you look up frost quake or cryoseism that may explain what you're hearing.First
time I heard it I thought a big tree had fallen on the house and that was after a two day ice storm

kric...@fireflynet.ca

Jan 3, 2014, 10:44:27 AM1/3/14

kric...@fireflynet.ca

Jan 3, 2014, 10:50:38 AM1/3/14
On Tuesday, 24 November 2009 02:34:22 UTC-5, Mike MN wrote:
> Loud Banging noise in home at night. Please help.....Must Read!!
>
> For 3-4 months now in MN and yes the weather is changing,it was august
> when it started now its almost December. Its random times only at
> night and not every day, could be 2 nights in a row then off 4 then
> one, off 3. It sounds like some pounding on a stud in the wall with a
> hammer,Very loud. It only happens once per night. The furnace is
> never on, and all the registers are cold. Also water eater would do
> it during the day too. It so loud you can feel it.
>
> Its not the water softener, or hot water heater. Also does not seem
> to be happening where pipes even are located. I have been up a few
> times and heard it, but could not tell where, have it narrowed down to
> inside wall maybe around a stair case, 6 steps.
>
> I have slept down in the laundry room countless nights hoping that it
> would do it so I could get a better location on it. I Even recorded it
> with my laptop and a program. Its pounding more when it happens now,
> like 12-15 loud bangs in no specific pattern. All happening within a
> min, then nothing the rest of the night.
>
> Its driving my family insane, hard to get a nights rest....I have
> googled many sites on home settling. But this seems ridiculous.
>
> Please help if you have any ideas.
>
> Ohh and please no ghost ideas..really or other types of banging:-)
>
> Mike I have just had that happen in my house 20 minutes ago best explanation is the trusses reacting to the extreme cold Its the third time in a week. no way its a frost quake... the neighbors are having similar noises but not are the same time as we are.

kric...@fireflynet.ca

Jan 3, 2014, 11:09:45 AM1/3/14
On Friday, 3 January 2014 10:34:07 UTC-5, whytat...@gmail.com wrote:
I live in Erin Ontario the temperature outside is minus 22 degrees Celsius. The noises your hearing is from the extreme cold reacting on the roof trusses I had one go bang one hour ago---- third one in a week the neighbors report this happening in their house as well but not at the same time as we are... I think you can eliminate the frost quake theory!

Andy_B

Jan 3, 2014, 1:16:28 PM1/3/14

m6onz5a;2120855 Wrote:
> On Saturday, December 7, 2013 11:14:07 AM UTC-5, spartu... (AT) gmail
I was born in 1965, Doing a lot of creaking but unfortunately not much
banging;-)

--
Andy_B
This USENET post sent from http://rgparchive.com

Frank Furhter

Jan 3, 2014, 6:11:03 PM1/3/14
that is a pressure valve that is not up to spec for your hot water
heater. Same problem before, when someone installed a new hot water
heater and they replaced the oversized with an under spec pressure
valve. When replaced yet again with the exact same as which was
originally in line the problem magically went away. This was after 8
visits, loads of speculation and what at some point thought to be so
noisy it would destoy the pipes. Make sure you don't pay for these kind
of 'revisiting' visits, the plumbing company will try and blame you for
it when it is clearly their staff and lack of knowledge.

jhanley

Jan 5, 2014, 3:07:05 PM1/5/14

If the pipes aren't held with isolators where they attach to the studs
it can cause hammer. If you can get to them try to see if any are
loose.If not you can install a hammer arrester in your water system.

--
jhanley

teresaal...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2014, 2:13:35 PM2/14/14

CRYOSEISM

On Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:34:22 AM UTC-5, Mike MN wrote:
> Loud Banging noise in home at night. Please help.....Must Read!!For 3-4 months now in MN and yes the weather is changing,it was august when it started now its almost December. Its random times only at night and not every day, could be 2 nights in a row then off 4 then one, off 3. It sounds like some pounding on a stud in the wall with a hammer,Very loud. It only happens once per night. The furnace is never on, and all the registers are cold. Also water eater would do it during the day too. It so loud you can feel it.Its not the water softener, or hot water heater. Also does not seem to be happening where pipes even are located. I have been up a few times and heard it, but could not tell where, have it narrowed down to inside wall maybe around a stair case, 6 steps.I have slept down in the laundry room countless nights hoping that it would do it so I could get a better location on it. I Even recorded it with my laptop and a program. Its pounding more when it happens now, like 12-15 loud bangs in no specific pattern. All happening within a min, then nothing the rest of the night.Its driving my family insane, hard to get a nights rest....I have googled many sites on home settling. But this seems ridiculous.Please help if you have any ideas.Ohh and please no ghost ideas..really or other types of banging:-)Mike

teresaal...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2014, 2:15:51 PM2/14/14

CRYOSEISM..............

jiar...@aol.com

Feb 16, 2014, 6:49:08 PM2/16/14
Not sure if it is a baseboard or forced air.But sometimes in a baseboard the pipe is to tight in the hole and makes the knocking.

matthe...@hotmail.com

Feb 16, 2014, 9:14:12 PM2/16/14
On Tuesday, 24 November 2009 02:34:22 UTC-5, Mike MN wrote:
> Loud Banging noise in home at night. Please help.....Must Read!!
>
> For 3-4 months now in MN and yes the weather is changing,it was august
> when it started now its almost December. Its random times only at
> night and not every day, could be 2 nights in a row then off 4 then
> one, off 3. It sounds like some pounding on a stud in the wall with a
> hammer,Very loud. It only happens once per night. The furnace is
> never on, and all the registers are cold. Also water eater would do
> it during the day too. It so loud you can feel it.
>
> Its not the water softener, or hot water heater. Also does not seem
> to be happening where pipes even are located. I have been up a few
> times and heard it, but could not tell where, have it narrowed down to
> inside wall maybe around a stair case, 6 steps.
>
> I have slept down in the laundry room countless nights hoping that it
> would do it so I could get a better location on it. I Even recorded it
> with my laptop and a program. Its pounding more when it happens now,
> like 12-15 loud bangs in no specific pattern. All happening within a
> min, then nothing the rest of the night.
>
> Its driving my family insane, hard to get a nights rest....I have
> googled many sites on home settling. But this seems ridiculous.
>
> Please help if you have any ideas.
>
> Ohh and please no ghost ideas..really or other types of banging:-)
>
> Mike

just seen this, havn't read all the posts.
This happened recently with my parents. Gas was building up in thier furnace then it would ignite and make a loud boom. Get it serviced.
I think it was something with carbon build up or something??

gina.hohen...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2014, 3:34:45 PM3/23/14
Mike,

I am curious if you resolved the loud noise that occurred during the night. My mother is having a very similar problem to what you've described. The exception is that the sound is like someone knocking very loud and forcefully on either her back door in her breezeway or on the exterior wall at the back of her home.

The frequency is just as you described. I stayed at her home twice when this occurred and noticed the motion activated light did not come on....so I doubt we have someone knocking on the door...but it certainly does sound exactly like someone banging on the door. I've had the water pipe issue in an old home and do understand that noise is quite loud and banging...but our noise is just like a person banging on the door. Also her home does not have water pipes near this wall or door. She has new plumbing made of a composite material and not copper.

Just curious if you found the cause and hoping we can learn from your experience.

Thanks!

gina.hohen...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2014, 3:55:51 PM3/23/14
Oh...also my mother's home had foundation repair two years ago...and I've noticed the subfloor panels are loose.

Gina

keny...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2014, 1:11:19 PM7/25/14
On Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:34:22 AM UTC-5, Mike MN wrote:
> Loud Banging noise in home at night. Please help.....Must Read!!
>
> For 3-4 months now in MN and yes the weather is changing,it was august
> when it started now its almost December. Its random times only at
> night and not every day, could be 2 nights in a row then off 4 then
> one, off 3. It sounds like some pounding on a stud in the wall with a
> hammer,Very loud. It only happens once per night. The furnace is
> never on, and all the registers are cold. Also water eater would do
> it during the day too. It so loud you can feel it.
>
> Its not the water softener, or hot water heater. Also does not seem
> to be happening where pipes even are located. I have been up a few
> times and heard it, but could not tell where, have it narrowed down to
> inside wall maybe around a stair case, 6 steps.
>
> I have slept down in the laundry room countless nights hoping that it
> would do it so I could get a better location on it. I Even recorded it
> with my laptop and a program. Its pounding more when it happens now,
> like 12-15 loud bangs in no specific pattern. All happening within a
> min, then nothing the rest of the night.
>
> Its driving my family insane, hard to get a nights rest....I have
> googled many sites on home settling. But this seems ridiculous.
>
> Please help if you have any ideas.
>
> Ohh and please no ghost ideas..really or other types of banging:-)
>
> Mike

check down tube in tank some time you will have to change. or something to do with your controle head

bhat...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2014, 4:14:53 AM10/15/14
Hi this could be your house sense being cold with no heat on cold nights the wood in your house can exspand and contact on cold night the wood would dry out in your walls beams etc would cause bangs pops cracks when it rains the mosture settle things down also hot water tanks furnances water pressure building up in pipes if the pipes are not tighten up they rattle or shakes ie pressure in the pipes during the cold months I would here loud bangs cracks and pops in the wall just as im starting to fall asleep you can feel a slight feel to your face or touch I have no ldea on it hopes this help I would be checking further on it try to find out what it is or where its comeing from brad

vocal...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2015, 11:57:10 PM2/11/15
Hi Mike,

Just curious to see if you did ever figure out what was causing those loud banging noises in the night? It's been a long while since you posted so I am wondering if things settled down.

I had a one night experience similar to yours but on a cold winter night.

Night,

Franco

mango...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2015, 2:15:39 PM2/14/15
On Tuesday, November 24, 2009 at 2:34:22 AM UTC-5, Mike MN wrote:
> Loud Banging noise in home at night. Please help.....Must Read!!
>
> For 3-4 months now in MN and yes the weather is changing,it was august
> when it started now its almost December. Its random times only at
> night and not every day, could be 2 nights in a row then off 4 then
> one, off 3. It sounds like some pounding on a stud in the wall with a
> hammer,Very loud. It only happens once per night. The furnace is
> never on, and all the registers are cold. Also water eater would do
> it during the day too. It so loud you can feel it.
>
> Its not the water softener, or hot water heater. Also does not seem
> to be happening where pipes even are located. I have been up a few
> times and heard it, but could not tell where, have it narrowed down to
> inside wall maybe around a stair case, 6 steps.
>
> I have slept down in the laundry room countless nights hoping that it
> would do it so I could get a better location on it. I Even recorded it
> with my laptop and a program. Its pounding more when it happens now,
> like 12-15 loud bangs in no specific pattern. All happening within a
> min, then nothing the rest of the night.
>
> Its driving my family insane, hard to get a nights rest....I have
> googled many sites on home settling. But this seems ridiculous.
>
> Please help if you have any ideas.
>
> Ohh and please no ghost ideas..really or other types of banging:-)
>
> Mike

We are having the same noise in our basement, a loud thump like a hammer or someone stomping on wood. Thought i was my gas fired water heater, had that replaced, later that night another thump. Read all the previous posts and here at the nj shore it has been colder than usual so im wondering if it could be the joists in the basement moving and or popping nails? Noise happens when heat is off and no water running, we are watching tv and it sounds like a large bang coming from the basement near the furnace and water heater. Also, im going to have furnace inspected to see if there is a some type of gas ignition taking place in the ducts but it doesnt sound like metal banging. Anyone have any more ideas?

canneds...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2015, 4:56:30 PM2/14/15
Do you have either a water softener or well water?

tracie...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2015, 12:48:54 AM2/20/15
Hi Mike,

I just Googled "why does my house make loud banging noises?" and found your post. As I am typing this, a bang so loud just happened at my mother's house that almost scared me to death. Presently, Ohio is experiencing severe, record breaking cold. I think that may have something to do with it. Her house was built in the 70's, good foundation, no toilet/water problems, etc. It just bangs! I don't know if this is helpful, but I thought it may comfort you to know that you are definitely not alone. No ghosts here, no building problems, just a bang.

John Robertson

Jun 26, 2015, 10:55:48 AM6/26/15
On 06/26/2015 3:16 AM, mishm...@gmail.com wrote:
> Please help me,
>
> I have the exact same banging. It's right behind my sofa and it shakes me up whenever it happens. The house is a semi-detached but behind the wall is my cupboard. The weather hadn't changed, I'm in England so a stable 15C all month pretty much.
>

> It's no where near any of my appliances and it sounds like someone with a steel-capped boot kicking the wall just once randomly day and night.
>
> My house is over 100 years old and pretty damp.

Banging is usually caused by water hammering. Do a search...a water pipe
in the wall may not be well supported and whacks itself around.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=water+hammering&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=fWeNVcS3A8S0oQST-pfwCA

If it only happens during the heating cycle then it could be a hot water
pipe for your radiators (if you have radiators that is!).

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com

Frank Furhter

Jun 26, 2015, 12:44:11 PM6/26/15
John Robertson wrote:
> On 06/26/2015 3:16 AM, mishm...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Please help me,
>>
>> I have the exact same banging. It's right behind my sofa and it shakes
>> me up whenever it happens. The house is a semi-detached but behind the
>> wall is my cupboard. The weather hadn't changed, I'm in England so a
>> stable 15C all month pretty much.
>>

>> It's no where near any of my appliances and it sounds like someone
>> with a steel-capped boot kicking the wall just once randomly day and
>> night.
>>
>> My house is over 100 years old and pretty damp.
>>

> Banging is usually caused by water hammering. Do a search...a water pipe
> in the wall may not be well supported and whacks itself around.
>
> https://www.google.ca/search?q=water+hammering&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=fWeNVcS3A8S0oQST-pfwCA
>

> If it only happens during the heating cycle then it could be a hot water
> pipe for your radiators (if you have radiators that is!).
>
> John :-#)#

Banging can also be caused, and I have had it happen, when a back flow
prevention valve is underrated for the pressure of the system. Had that
happen twice, 13 visits from plumbers swearing what they installed was
properly rated. Finally I demanded they put the one they removed back
into the system and presto it worked fine. This was all done when a
couple of hot water tanks were removed due to age/failure. Bottom line,
banging is often caused by this, and the pipes maybe pressure
oscillating when pressure is relieved or added (or both) to the system.
Good luck.

--
The Frankster, a playfield prankster
Once upon my crank her ballpark shrank.
http://PinWiki.com, Prep-H 4 pinballers.
CARGPB #42 (Free to join, sign up now!)
Dangling Team-EM Member (debauchery a-go-go)

EM PINMAN

Jun 27, 2015, 9:51:19 PM6/27/15
On Tuesday, November 24, 2009 at 1:34:22 AM UTC-6, Mike MN wrote:
> Loud Banging noise in home at night. Please help.....Must Read!!
>
> For 3-4 months now in MN and yes the weather is changing,it was august
> when it started now its almost December. Its random times only at
> night and not every day, could be 2 nights in a row then off 4 then
> one, off 3. It sounds like some pounding on a stud in the wall with a
> hammer,Very loud. It only happens once per night. The furnace is
> never on, and all the registers are cold. Also water eater would do
> it during the day too. It so loud you can feel it.
>
> Its not the water softener, or hot water heater. Also does not seem
> to be happening where pipes even are located. I have been up a few
> times and heard it, but could not tell where, have it narrowed down to
> inside wall maybe around a stair case, 6 steps.
>
> I have slept down in the laundry room countless nights hoping that it
> would do it so I could get a better location on it. I Even recorded it
> with my laptop and a program. Its pounding more when it happens now,
> like 12-15 loud bangs in no specific pattern. All happening within a
> min, then nothing the rest of the night.
>
> Its driving my family insane, hard to get a nights rest....I have
> googled many sites on home settling. But this seems ridiculous.
>
> Please help if you have any ideas.
>
> Ohh and please no ghost ideas..really or other types of banging:-)
>
> Mike

For all the folks who hear banging day and night in your house the issue is clear to everyone except you.... your house is truly haunted and you need to call a priest a.s.a.p. ;-)

Glad I could help.

Ken

mishm...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2015, 6:16:56 AM6/26/15

oakley...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2016, 5:55:32 PM1/20/16
On Tuesday, November 24, 2009 at 1:34:22 AM UTC-6, Mike MN wrote:
> Loud Banging noise in home at night. Please help.....Must Read!!
>
> For 3-4 months now in MN and yes the weather is changing,it was august
> when it started now its almost December. Its random times only at
> night and not every day, could be 2 nights in a row then off 4 then
> one, off 3. It sounds like some pounding on a stud in the wall with a
> hammer,Very loud. It only happens once per night. The furnace is
> never on, and all the registers are cold. Also water eater would do
> it during the day too. It so loud you can feel it.
>
> Its not the water softener, or hot water heater. Also does not seem
> to be happening where pipes even are located. I have been up a few
> times and heard it, but could not tell where, have it narrowed down to
> inside wall maybe around a stair case, 6 steps.
>
> I have slept down in the laundry room countless nights hoping that it
> would do it so I could get a better location on it. I Even recorded it
> with my laptop and a program. Its pounding more when it happens now,
> like 12-15 loud bangs in no specific pattern. All happening within a
> min, then nothing the rest of the night.
>
> Its driving my family insane, hard to get a nights rest....I have
> googled many sites on home settling. But this seems ridiculous.
>
> Please help if you have any ideas.
>
> Ohh and please no ghost ideas..really or other types of banging:-)
>
> Mike
Hello I know it has been 7 years but did you ever find what was making the noise?

Frank Furhter

Jan 20, 2016, 10:47:23 PM1/20/16
It likely was an underrated back flow valve in the water system.

AVP Pinball Division

Jan 29, 2016, 6:48:43 PM1/29/16
"Frank Furhter" <frank....@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Google zombie posts.

--
Pistol Pete
AVP Pinball Division

jobur...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2016, 6:05:40 PM4/17/16
On Tuesday, November 24, 2009 at 1:34:22 AM UTC-6, Mike MN wrote:
> Loud Banging noise in home at night. Please help.....Must Read!!
>
> For 3-4 months now in MN and yes the weather is changing,it was august
> when it started now its almost December. Its random times only at
> night and not every day, could be 2 nights in a row then off 4 then
> one, off 3. It sounds like some pounding on a stud in the wall with a
> hammer,Very loud. It only happens once per night. The furnace is
> never on, and all the registers are cold. Also water eater would do
> it during the day too. It so loud you can feel it.
>
> Its not the water softener, or hot water heater. Also does not seem
> to be happening where pipes even are located. I have been up a few
> times and heard it, but could not tell where, have it narrowed down to
> inside wall maybe around a stair case, 6 steps.
>
> I have slept down in the laundry room countless nights hoping that it
> would do it so I could get a better location on it. I Even recorded it
> with my laptop and a program. Its pounding more when it happens now,
> like 12-15 loud bangs in no specific pattern. All happening within a
> min, then nothing the rest of the night.
>
> Its driving my family insane, hard to get a nights rest....I have
> googled many sites on home settling. But this seems ridiculous.
>
> Please help if you have any ideas.
>
> Ohh and please no ghost ideas..really or other types of banging:-)
>
> Mike

Did you ever find out what was causing the noise? I am having a similar problem???????????

barakandl

Apr 18, 2016, 10:45:09 PM4/18/16
Water hammer

Joe

Apr 18, 2016, 11:19:45 PM4/18/16
It's water hammer. Water hammer prevention devices are installed in
the plumbing during construction. It's a code requirement. They
contain trapped air to absorb the shock of water being suddenly shut
off at a faucet or appliance. However, over time water can gradually
replace the trapped air, rendering them ineffective. The cure is to
shut off the water to the entire house and open the lowest faucet,
which is often a bathtub faucet. After all the water is out of all
the water lines the hammer arresters will all contain air again. Then
close the faucets and turn the water back on.

It's possible an additional arrester may need to be installed. A
do-it-yourselfer may have done some plumbing and didn't know to
install an arrester. Add-on arresters are available, for installation
on toilet tanks and behind washing machines. I installed one under my
toilet tank and the knocking went away and has never returned.

Frank Furhter

Apr 18, 2016, 11:34:10 PM4/18/16
Its a back pressure valve, under-rated for the pressure you have in your
line. Its something everyone will eventually have to deal with, either
with a failing unit and/or changes in muni pressures, or changes in your
water configuration and use.

--
The Frankster, a playfield prankster
Once upon my crank her ballpark shrank.
http://PinWiki.com, Prep-H 4 pinballers.
CARGPB #42 (Free to join, sign up now!)
Dangling Team-EM Member (debauchery a-go-go)
Rule #1 of RGP, there are no rules or rulers.

24h...@stu.cpsk12.org

Jul 19, 2016, 11:44:35 PM7/19/16
Scared help me out !!!!!! Should I get a air soft🔫💣💣😐

tspri...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2017, 5:45:52 PM4/21/17
On Tuesday, November 24, 2009 at 12:45:27 AM UTC-7, Mike MN wrote:
> On Nov 24, 1:42 am, Captain Neo <nwoj...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > you sure it's not the water heater boiling crap off the bottom.  Mine
> > gets loud pops all the time from burning shit off the bottom.
>
> I was sitting in right next to it when it happened and it was not near
> the water heater, or for that matter anything that would make sense...
> who would I even call and pay to help me?

I'm having a similar problem. It is coming from the upstairs unit which is unoccupied. I think it might be pipes (loose hangers) but I don't know. Some guy did work up there and was high on dope when he did it. He was tearing shit down in that general area. The owner was upset too. Yours almost sounds like a haunting/poltergeist. good luck.

Pin Del

Apr 21, 2017, 5:49:27 PM4/21/17
8 years,,, Still not close to the record 15 :)

phis...@hotmail.com

Apr 21, 2017, 6:27:48 PM4/21/17
> 8 years,,, Still not close to the record 15 :)

RGP protip: if you want your thread to last forever, be sure to add Must Read! in the subject line. People always fall for that.

Note to the original poster: 'It's just me and your mom, go back to bed.'
d;^)

-phish

Frank Furhter

Apr 21, 2017, 10:47:27 PM4/21/17
Boom boom, out go the lights.... Its the fucking back flow valve, and
its either failed or not to the specification (go WAY over board on the
rating for it to avoid this problem) of your system's pressure from the
street or in house due to the level of stories in your house or your
setting on the pressure reducer (aka, what is allowed into your house).

Read up on thsi shit, and yes its time to go for the record on douche
bags that come to USENET and don't fucking want to read a threat's
history, which is available online, but want to jump in and sound like a
noob without knowing they sound like a noob.

1imagina...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2017, 10:05:02 PM9/3/17
im 11 and I had just finished applying my fake nails and I turned off the light and had to turn it on then suddenly three fast loud bangs and was scared so much that I had to get my dad .it happened like 20 -30 mins ago

maryr...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2017, 12:34:50 PM9/4/17
I am having terrible plumbing problems in my crappy 1971 townhouse, and I need to re-pipe to abandon whats under the slab cuz hi percentage in this crappy development are having slab leaks .... but in the meantime I'm getting these banging noises also .Can you , is a "backflow valve" something that's on the hot water heater?
Thanks.
maryr...@hotmail.com

mickh...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2018, 3:34:42 AM1/10/18
Could be mice. We had same thing I'm our house. Turned out we had mice. Little things but whey can make a lot of noise. Especially at night when it's quiet, they think it's safe when house is in silence.

teglogi...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2018, 9:42:04 PM1/22/18
We have same knowing noise at house, and notices that it's comes from top of refrigerator,

We did not connect water line to Refrigerator and ice maker also doesn't work.

Also noticed that refrigerater was out of service for few days and that noise was also stop for few days those days.

as soon as refrigerator start working that noise also came back.

Its might related to refrigerator

Please help!

vincent...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2018, 11:40:42 PM2/23/18
This was a very time consuming read, thank you all. I'm thinking mine may be a subwoofer capacitor, but still figuring it out.

mariaa.i...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2018, 11:14:56 PM3/30/18
On Tuesday, November 24, 2009 at 2:34:22 AM UTC-5, Mike MN wrote:
> Loud Banging noise in home at night. Please help.....Must Read!!
>
> For 3-4 months now in MN and yes the weather is changing,it was august
> when it started now its almost December. Its random times only at
> night and not every day, could be 2 nights in a row then off 4 then
> one, off 3. It sounds like some pounding on a stud in the wall with a
> hammer,Very loud. It only happens once per night. The furnace is
> never on, and all the registers are cold. Also water eater would do
> it during the day too. It so loud you can feel it.
>
> Its not the water softener, or hot water heater. Also does not seem
> to be happening where pipes even are located. I have been up a few
> times and heard it, but could not tell where, have it narrowed down to
> inside wall maybe around a stair case, 6 steps.
>
> I have slept down in the laundry room countless nights hoping that it
> would do it so I could get a better location on it. I Even recorded it
> with my laptop and a program. Its pounding more when it happens now,
> like 12-15 loud bangs in no specific pattern. All happening within a
> min, then nothing the rest of the night.
>
> Its driving my family insane, hard to get a nights rest....I have
> googled many sites on home settling. But this seems ridiculous.
>
> Please help if you have any ideas.
>
> Ohh and please no ghost ideas..really or other types of banging:-)
>
> Mike

Hello Mike, did you ever figure it out? I've had a similar problem for two years now. My house has been inspected by plumbers and HVAC pro's but the problem persists. Thanks for any advice.

Frank Furhter

Mar 30, 2018, 11:25:11 PM3/30/18
The answer is backflow or possibly your reduction valves. Must be
of the right sizing, and they must not be old and worn out.

amber...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2018, 8:47:23 PM12/23/18
We get random electrical sounding bangs from under the floor board in the back room. Sometimes hours apart. Just like sounding when lights have fused but nothing fuses.

We have had two emergency electricians out but they say everything is safe.

We have had four of these bangs tonight nearly Christmas, I have had them on mother's Day, Valentines day, bank holidays and a few random days over the past six years.

The first bang we ever heard also came with a golden flash outside, as the location is near the glass back door.

They seem to come more when it rains but have had them in dry weather too. Definitely electrical popping but loud.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

greenwood....@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2019, 10:10:48 AM2/25/19
It is loading more messages.