Why a KNOCK when I power on my System 11 machine?

beaver

Feb 20, 2010, 1:42:55 PM2/20/10
This is considered to be a common occurrence, and I decided to have a
look at this. Here are my findings on my Whirlwind page:
http://www.edcheung.com/album/album09/pinball/ww.htm#knock

Edward Cheung CARGPB26

BarryMinnesota13

Feb 20, 2010, 2:29:25 PM2/20/10
Thank you Ed. Excellent investigation and informative results. The
knocker pop always bothered me as I was thinking there was a weak
component waiting to cause a full problem.

Thank you for your detailed study and report.

Barry

astillent...@rogers.com

Feb 20, 2010, 2:35:08 PM2/20/10

i will have to cut and paste this article , to a few people who think
there is a major problem with their game when this occurs.
Thanks

Cliffy

Feb 20, 2010, 3:08:50 PM2/20/10

Excellent investigation, Ed. It's good to note that it's not always the
knocker that fires on startup. I've seen slingshots, pop bumpers and
VUK's do the same thing. You show this where you specify all solenoids
get the pulse but generally the knocker has the least mechanical
resistance so that's the one most commonly reported as a problem. I like
your final statement in the solutions section. "In the end, it may be
best to just live with the problem with the knowledge of exactly what is
occurring." :)

Knowledge is power, so true :)

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
Home of the world's finest pinball protectors

mr tobias

Feb 20, 2010, 4:16:03 PM2/20/10

Most informative, and good to know there isn't a problem.

I have a Jokerz that used to energise most of its flashers on power up
as well as making a noise simultaneously through the speakers. Very
disconcerting the first few times until I got used to it. I say used
to because the cpu board had to be replaced, and it stopped doing it
with the replacement board so I guess there was some minor glitch in
the original cpu board.

DugFreez

Feb 20, 2010, 4:45:29 PM2/20/10

I never even put any though into it being a problem, but it's nice
to har it's normal. My Cyclone does it about 20% of the time.

Scylla

Feb 20, 2010, 4:50:15 PM2/20/10

Huh. How about that. My Diner does this and I always wondered what
they heck was going on. Now I know. Well, I know it's not a big deal
but the technical explanation............well, I'm no rocket
scientist! Thanks, Ed. You cleared up a long running mystery for me.

Ron, (Boatcat)

Feb 20, 2010, 10:49:40 PM2/20/10

Ed,

Thanks for posting your findings.
Very informative report!

Don H.

Feb 20, 2010, 10:49:23 PM2/20/10
Very interesting stuff, thanks Ed!

I'm thinking that your investigation may show why my knocker stopped
the initial pop when I replaced my power supply with a new Rottendog
unit.

- Don

TheKorn

Feb 21, 2010, 5:14:24 AM2/21/10
beaver <e...@edcheung.com> wrote in news:a9aa7ef3-9696-4f97-badc-
763f94...@q21g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

> This is considered to be a common occurrence, and I decided to have a
> look at this. Here are my findings on my Whirlwind page:
> http://www.edcheung.com/album/album09/pinball/ww.htm#knock

Nice detective work, Ed! Now maybe some people will believe me when I tell
them it's normal. (...doubt it. sigh.)

--
Have a home video that's trapped on your camera? Want to share it on the
web or on DVD?

http://www.webwidevideo.com/

beaver

Feb 21, 2010, 8:06:01 AM2/21/10
Good point. I was thinking I heard someone resolved their knock this
way when I did the write-up. Looks like I recalled correctly.

Edward Cheung CARGPB26

Sean Casey

Feb 21, 2010, 11:57:46 AM2/21/10
Great stuff ed.