TZ clock is broken

Pinballray

Jun 6, 2008, 3:45:30 PM6/6/08
I have a problem with my TZ clock,it works fine and test ok until I
hit clock chaos then it backs up to 8:00 and stops working for the
rest of the game and resets and works the next game.

Taylor-VA

Jun 6, 2008, 4:04:27 PM6/6/08

I am going with optos and or minute hand warpage.
I replaced all my optos and bought a new minute hand.
The newer minute hands have a longer "finger" to interrupt the opto,
they are no longer available where I got mine but worth looking for,
you can also heat it with a heatgun (be careful) and try to correct
the bend.

I was having this happen and between the optos and the hand
replacement I have a 100% clock. Worth the money to replace the optos
IMHO as the clock is such a great feature of the game. Good luck.

I think Marco carries the optos btw. They are very sensitive and there
are specific types that should be used in the clock so make sure to
order the correct ones.

Pinballray

Jun 6, 2008, 4:29:24 PM6/6/08

I replaced the clock board and it had plug in optos that you cut the
legs to fit and I made them as tall as possible w/o hitting the minute
hand. I just tried switching the motor board and the clock started
working so I mounted the board now its doing the same thing again I'm
now checking the connections with a VOM

beaver

Jun 6, 2008, 4:32:44 PM6/6/08
What do you see in the boxes in clock test?

Some info on how I addressed my clock problem:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_frm/thread/c015d549d339254a/41e4231c23e8d604?hl=en&lnk=st&q=#41e4231c23e8d604

Edward Cheung CARGPB26

Pinballray

Jun 6, 2008, 6:23:55 PM6/6/08
On Jun 6, 1:32 pm, beaver <e...@edcheung.com> wrote:
> What do you see in the boxes in clock test?
>
> Some info on how I addressed my clock problem:http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_frm/thread/c0...

> Edward Cheung CARGPB26
>
> On Jun 6, 4:29 pm, Pinballray <rayrichm...@centurytel.net> wrote:

> > > I am going with optos and or minute hand warpage.
> > > I replaced all my optos and bought a new minute hand.
> > > The newer minute hands have a longer "finger" to interrupt the opto,
> > > they are no longer available where I got mine but worth looking for,
> > > you can also heat it with a heatgun (be careful) and try to correct
> > > the bend.
>
> > > I was having this happen and between the optos and the hand
> > > replacement I have a 100% clock. Worth the money to replace the optos
> > > IMHO as the clock is such a great feature of the game. Good luck.
>
> > > I think Marco carries the optos btw. They are very sensitive and there
> > > are specific types that should be used in the clock so make sure to
> > > order the correct ones.
>
> > I replaced the clock board and it had plug in optos that you cut the
> > legs to fit and I made them as tall as possible w/o hitting the minute
> > hand. I just tried switching the motor board and the clock started
> > working so I mounted the board now its doing the same thing again I'm
> > now checking the connections with a VOM- Hide quoted text -

the clock test shows all the optos working and time is right the
"hour" changes at half past

Fweddybear

Jun 6, 2008, 7:21:09 PM6/6/08

"Pinballray" <rayri...@centurytel.net> wrote in message

Check to see that the opto is wired correctly against the schematic.
Sounds like the hour hand opto is wired at six o clock....

fwed

Fweddybear

Jun 6, 2008, 7:22:23 PM6/6/08
"Pinballray" <rayri...@centurytel.net> wrote in message

Another thought.... the board wouldn't be in upside down would it??
Na... never mind...

Fwed

Pinballray

Jun 6, 2008, 8:02:39 PM6/6/08
On Jun 6, 4:21 pm, "Fweddybear" <fweddyb...@cox.net> wrote:
> "Pinballray" <rayrichm...@centurytel.net> wrote in message
> fwed- Hide quoted text -

manual tells me hours should change at about the 30 min. opto this
isn't the time but the "hour" in the right lower corner of the DMD

Taylor-VA

Jun 6, 2008, 8:13:51 PM6/6/08
> isn't the time but the "hour" in the right lower corner of the DMD- Hide quoted text -

Is the minute hand warped? Is there slop in the minute hand? I did add
a washer between the minute hand and the clock face(I think that is
what is behind the minute hand) to take up any slop to prevent the
minute hand from laying forward at all.

Not pushing the suggestion, I just did not see mention of it above.

Pinballray

Jun 6, 2008, 11:51:38 PM6/6/08
> Not pushing the suggestion, I just did not see mention of it above.- Hide quoted text -

All the clock parts are like new,why dose it stop at 8:00? it keeps
good time in A mode

Taylor-VA

Jun 7, 2008, 12:01:38 AM6/7/08
> good time in A mode- Hide quoted text -

When going through test, look and see if you have any fluttering in
any of the optos. Run it at slow so that the opto remains "triggered"
so you can really see it. This may indicate a bad opto.

BP

Jun 9, 2008, 11:20:53 AM6/9/08
> so you can really see it. This may indicate a bad opto.- Hide quoted text -

Pinballray,
I have had, have the same exact issue. Started one day and can't fix
it..new cpu board, driver, mini driver, clockboard, motor, housing, .
100 connectors below the clock, gears, and hands. Clock works fine in
Millions, Square, Slot, but breaks at 8, when reversing for Clock
Chaos. All tests indicate it working fine. It never breaks during
testing. Please please let me know if you figure it out. If I had to
guess, it has something to do with the relationship between the black
hour gear and position of the minute hand. There is a correct way to
build the clock, but the manual makes zero sense to me, on what that
relationship is. TOPS doesn't discuss how to assemble the clock
properly in the video either.

beaver

Jun 9, 2008, 12:05:47 PM6/9/08
I think you bring up an interesting point. After I reassembled my
clock for the first time, the hour hand would be slightly off from
noon after the clock reset. I never thought much about it, and
figured I would address it eventually.

Then, the clock started to get flaky, and I had to take it apart again
for the fix. This time, when I reassembled it, due to sheer luck, the
hour hand lines up perfectly with the minute hand after reset.

I then realized that the way the gears mesh dictates this
relationship. Since there is just ONE motor, the relationship is
fixed. I looked at the manual, and I was unable to find the correct
way to assemble it.

So the question is... after reset, does your hour hand line up
perfectly with the minute hand? If so, it is probably not the hour-
minute hand phasing.

Edward Cheung CARGPB26

Taylor-VA

Jun 9, 2008, 12:22:56 PM6/9/08
> > properly in the video either.- Hide quoted text -

There are is an indicator line on the black opto interruptor gear that
lines up with the last white gear's recessed gears.
If you look at the gears there are two or three that are lower than
than the others and the indicator line should go between these. There
is a good guide on doing this but I am coming up blank on this. Might
need to google deeper.

BP

Jun 9, 2008, 12:46:19 PM6/9/08
> need to google deeper.- Hide quoted text -

Would love to see a detailed photo explanation on the setup. I do
know that you can put the gears and hands on in any combination, and a
reset will send the clock to midnight, hours might be a micron
off....as the software looks at the hours and minutes seperate. I
started down this road, but making a couple tooth change to the minute
hand and noticed the hours were updating when the minute crossed 45
minute position. Clock still kept good time and worked fine in all
modes by chaos..but that's because its the only mode that goes
backwards...as it looks to get to the 6:00. The correct number and
sequence of optos isn't hit, so it gives up when two fail in a row on
the way. I'm of the belief there is a formula to find the distance or
number of teeth the gear is off.

Would love someone with a working clock to take it apart with detailed
photos.

BP

Jun 10, 2008, 11:00:51 AM6/10/08
> photos.- Hide quoted text -

Would it be possible for someone post detailed TZ Clock assembly
pictures? Focussing on the gears and the molded line on the black
hour gear?

Jack James

Jun 10, 2008, 11:42:33 AM6/10/08
Not that this is of any help but I love the Rudy line "Quit messing with
the clock!"