How to remove broken screw from playfield?

Nick

Jan 20, 2008, 7:00:01 AM1/20/08
I am looking for recommendations on how to remove a broken screw from
the playfield. I was replacing a playfield post last night and before
it was all the way in, the screw sheared off flush with the
playfield. Does anyone have any suggestions for removing it without
damaging the playfield?

Thanks,
Nick

ako...@austin.rr.com

Jan 20, 2008, 7:12:02 AM1/20/08

Raise the playfield up. You may have enough of the screw excending
below the playfield where you can do the following: Get a small
metal file or demil tool with a cut of wheel. file/grind a slot in
the top of the screw post big enough and deep enough to insert a small
standard head screw driver. Slowly turn the screw until it comes out
the bottom of the playfeild

UFO

Jan 20, 2008, 7:36:04 AM1/20/08
On Jan 20, 6:00 am, Nick <j...@giovas.net> wrote:

take a 30 bit drill bit, and drill it out. simple.
l8r
UFO

Tenacious T

Jan 20, 2008, 10:17:06 AM1/20/08
If it broke off in a T- nut just punch out the T-nut and replace .

Nick

Jan 20, 2008, 10:25:34 AM1/20/08
On Jan 20, 10:17 am, Tenacious T <twalls172...@comcast.net> wrote:
>   If it broke off in a T- nut just punch out the T-nut and replace .

No, it is a screw that is going directly into the wood. I think I may
have to drill it out.

martin

Jan 20, 2008, 10:37:05 AM1/20/08

The problem is, the screw area is small, uneven and very hard. Not
really possible to drill it out.

I see two choices:

1) Use a Dremel with a cutting disc to cut a slot in the stub, as
noted earlier. Obviously, this will cause some damage to the playfield
surface but, as the head is flush, it should be minimal. Then, you can
unscrew it.

2) Excavate from the underside of the playfield, then rebuild with
epoxy wood. You'lI be able to turn it out from the back. I liked the
ball end cutter on the Dremel for this.

http://iobium.com/fixing_a_headless_screw.htm

pinballkings nephew

Jan 20, 2008, 10:54:25 AM1/20/08
On Jan 20, 6:00 am, Nick <j...@giovas.net> wrote:

try to find a screw that is the same size and screw it into the pf
pushing out the bad

The Hammer

Jan 20, 2008, 11:09:05 AM1/20/08
It is not clear from your comment what type of screw it is. I have never
heard of a wood screw getting sheared off. Usually those just strip out the
hole in the wood which is a whole different problem

I am going to guess that it was a machine screw that snapped off. If the
suggestion below does not work, I would take a look to see how the machine
screw is attached from underneath the playfield.

Usually, there is a machine t-nut pressed in underneath like

http://www.marcospecialties.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=TNUT3816&eq=&Tp=

If that is the case, just pry it off from underneath the playfield and
replace it.

If that is not the case, please reply with more information.

in article
928b16aa-adb4-48d8...@f10g2000hsf.googlegroups.com,

The Hammer

Jan 20, 2008, 11:13:25 AM1/20/08
Sorry, I did not see the later posts.

The comments below are the right way to do it.

I would go from below. You could then replace the playfield post with a
machine screw, nut and washer that is attached from below.

Pretend you are a dentist and dig!

in article 3ab09a1f-5c9b-4908...@l1g2000hsa.googlegroups.com,

bobbyd...@googlemail.com

Jan 21, 2008, 12:28:57 PM1/21/08
I did the same thing, and I drilled it out. HOWEVER, the drill bit
jumped off the screw and went into the playfield right next to it
(which created a nice little dent that pissed me off even more. . .)
In the long run, I went really really slow and was able to drill it
out. Be careful- best of luck!!!

seymour...@excite.com

Jan 21, 2008, 12:42:21 PM1/21/08

I've done that too :(, with a wire guide that broke off. I ended up
drilling from the bottom up and tapped it out with a punch..... yes, it
was very difficult to 'locate' the hole on the bottom, I used an oaktag
template.

-scott CARGPB#29

cal50

Jan 21, 2008, 12:42:24 PM1/21/08
See if you can find a small diameter (screw size) left hand drill bit.
Center punch the broken screw and drill. A LH bit will hopefully grab
it and back it out. If not it will drill it out completely.

Sean Kavanagh

Jan 21, 2008, 12:44:06 PM1/21/08

I didn't respond when I first saw this because I thought it must be a
modern pin with a T-nut underneath because you said you sheared it off
before it was all the way in, but then you said in a later post that
it was directly into wood...surprising by I guess it could happen if
the screw was defective or something...but what ever, here's what I
have done:

Mine are usually snapped off when trying to remove them because
they've rusted and are weakened by some other agent. Since the screw
is underneath a PF post anyways, I drill a hole in the PF right next
to the broken screw. Then pop the screw piece into the hole you
drilled so it will just lift out. Plug the drill hole with a wooden
dowel piece that matches your drill bit size and is cut to the right
length so it will fill the hole, then sand or fill and/or repaint it
if you want...it's under a PF post so it won't be visible anyways.
Make sure you have a dowel the same size as your bit and don't drill
all the way through the PF.

Sean