Where Lies the Power

TopDog

Nov 20, 2006, 12:46:08 PM11/20/06
Ok any one any idea about this game?

Is it still running , who has the rights, etc.......

D Johnson

Sep 4, 2013, 7:17:35 PM9/4/13
On Monday, November 20, 2006 5:46:08 PM UTC, TopDog wrote:
> Ok any one any idea about this game?
>
> Is it still running , who has the rights, etc.......

I own the rights
Dean

Chris Babcock

Nov 20, 2013, 12:49:49 PM11/20/13
Seven years! That has to be a new record for reviving a dead thread. :-)

I happen to be interested in hosting games - new and old, but especially old. Would you be interested in a revival of the game to rival the revival of the thread?

Chris Babcock
--
http://tbg.asciiking.com

D Johnson

Jan 5, 2014, 3:08:39 PM1/5/14
Hi Chris,

Good to hear from you, will PM you!

Dean

antik...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2014, 8:08:56 AM11/14/14
So how's it going? :)

D Johnson

Nov 27, 2014, 8:16:37 AM11/27/14
On Friday, November 14, 2014 1:08:56 PM UTC, antik...@gmail.com wrote:
> So how's it going? :)

Not heard back from Chris yet, just PMed him again. How are you? Are you an old player?

Dean

Chris Babcock

Nov 27, 2014, 9:50:13 AM11/27/14
I reply to email within 24 hours - usually much faster - so if a couple days go by and you haven't heard from me, well, that would mean there's a problem. :-(

Fortunately I got your mail this morning.

I just finished moving the largest site in Diplomacy to my server and I still have over 600GB of spare disk space. Suffice it to say that there's room for your game there too. :-)

Chris
--
www.asciiking.com

antik...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2015, 1:34:30 PM11/28/15
So, a year later: how's it going? :)

antik...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2015, 3:19:48 PM12/16/15
Hi, yeah I'm an old player, feeling nostalghia :)

Chris Babcock

Dec 17, 2015, 1:09:34 PM12/17/15
If I don't reply to mail in one day, it means something's wrong. Please follow up. I get digests for the group, but I don't read them with any regularity so contacting me here won't be reliable at all.

I'm building a Minecraft world with my daughter right now, but that's on a separate machine so I still have plenty of capacity on my main machine.

Good hunting,
Chris

Jacob Andersson

Nov 28, 2016, 8:10:22 AM11/28/16
And another year without WLTP goes by ;)

Any thoughts on what you're going to do with the game, Dean?

Chris Babcock

Nov 28, 2016, 12:45:17 PM11/28/16
I last heard from him 2 years ago.

I'd prefer to keep the game creator in the driver's seat or at least in the loop, but I might be able to recreate the game if I have a sufficient description of game play. If such was online at any point, the best place to find it would be The Wayback Machine.

Chris

D Johnson

Apr 10, 2017, 10:45:22 AM4/10/17
I doubt you would find much out there, it really was in the days of Paper play.

Dean

haphazard

Jun 23, 2017, 3:49:41 PM6/23/17
Hi there

I'd love to know if there was any chance of reviving the game or something close to it. I played in both incarnations (and Corporate Power afterwards) and was just reminiscing the other day that we even used to meet at a pub in Soho to scheme, plot our next moves and drink. Amazingly, 30 years later I still play games just across the street. I think I still have the rules although not the actual system obviously. Do you have Dean? WAS there even a system? ;) There must have been something. It was always well run.

Hap

Chris Babcock

Jun 24, 2017, 9:34:57 PM6/24/17
I'm interested in recreating games of this genre using mobile and web
forms for order submissions. Having the rules would be enough for me
to work with. I make best effort to include and credit the original
game creator. Dean has written a couple times, but (as you can see above) he doesn't have
code or any other material to contribute. Please send me the rules or
whatever you have offlist.

Chris

Jacob Andersson

Aug 13, 2017, 5:00:45 AM8/13/17
Den söndag 25 juni 2017 kl. 03:34:57 UTC+2 skrev Chris Babcock:

> he doesn't have
> code or any other material to contribute.

Did he buy the rights to the game without receiving any "backoffice" material whatsoever? Seems highly unlikely to me.

Jacob

D Johnson

Feb 4, 2018, 8:16:40 AM2/4/18
I have all the back office material.

THERE WAS NO CODE, it was totally hand moded.

The universe was a set of index cards for Planets/Geo Sector/Eco sector!

Dean

Jacob Andersson

Feb 9, 2018, 6:20:00 PM2/9/18
Contact me if you want to sell it. It's a pity it's not available to play.

Jacob Andersson

Nov 17, 2018, 3:58:04 PM11/17/18
Yearly bump :) I'd still buy the game if you'd let me, Dean.

andys...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2019, 7:50:32 PM2/4/19
On Saturday, 17 November 2018 20:58:04 UTC, Jacob Andersson wrote:
> Yearly bump :) I'd still buy the game if you'd let me, Dean.

I played this fantastic game as a teenager and still think about it today. A teacher at my school ended up as the Emperor after body swapping with the heir, assassinating the incumbent and causing civil war. Happy days!

Chris Babcock

Feb 5, 2019, 6:54:10 PM2/5/19
It sounds as if the world was hand adjudicated, but incredibly detailed. If the folks that remember it want to talk about what they remember, we might be able to put together something similar. I doubt I'm as talented as Dean, but I can bridge part of the gap with good organization and a few tools.

Chris

Jacob Andersson

Feb 28, 2019, 11:34:57 AM2/28/19

lor...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2019, 12:58:08 PM3/13/19
Looks like you might be better off developing your own physics/etc rule books and develop your own game. Doing some google searches recently more because I now work in an office where I can't really keep a 'normal game' up on the screen, so I'm looking at playing highly detailed PBeM games, but every water hole seems dried up. I'm about ready to start my own. Are there any good adventure rpg style games with the high detail of war games (turn based, etc) with a rule book or ruleset base? IDK.

Chris Babcock

Mar 19, 2019, 3:19:06 PM3/19/19
Here's the infrastructure project I'm working on to deliver push notifications to replace email without resorting to SMS, or other mobile-based systems:

https://gitlab.com/swift2plunder/yaaps

I'm working towards having a Diplomacy service, "The Age of Gods," and 2 other automatically adjudicated games on this framework with 12 months. I'm also working with developers of 2 hand adjudicated systems to support their games.

The Age of Gods is on GitHub. The most reliable way to find out about beta tests if you're interested in the game would be to follow @ya...@banana.dog on Mastodon. The address is in the yaaps project README if Google munges it.

Search "cool Mastodon instances" or "join Mastodon" if you're not on that network yet.

Chris

Chris Babcock

Mar 19, 2019, 3:38:52 PM3/19/19
It's also important to recognize that "better off" isn't necessarily relevant here. I'm specifically educated in recognizing how aspects of a game design will contribute to individual enjoyment and community development. As a consequence, I recognize that even "bad" games like TradeWars and LotGD have intrinsic value and would be worth persevering and playing even apart from nostalgia and their historical and cultural context.

By all accounts, "Here Lies the Power" was a fascinating experience. I'm interested in creations like these, generally, but I feel the impact that this game has had on players indicates that recovering the moderator's card file or even some player notes would be an incredible find.

Chris

Jacob Andersson

Nov 20, 2019, 4:44:32 AM11/20/19
Den söndag 4 februari 2018 kl. 14:16:40 UTC+1 skrev D Johnson:
> I have all the back office material.

Yearly bump :)

I'm still interested in buying your index cards and other back office material Dean.

antik...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2020, 4:27:36 PM12/12/20
Another year passes with no WLTP-game. Let me know when you're ready to sell it, Dean.

Any Alien

Sep 7, 2022, 5:47:14 AM9/7/22
I'm a Swede missing this game a lot... =/

antik...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2022, 1:15:09 PM9/19/22
Yeah. Me too.

antik...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2023, 6:07:27 AM1/8/23
Could someone please help me remember of some of the details of the game setting?

You started as a Minor House. IIRC becoming a Major House depended on your income?
A Great House was a house appointed fiefholder of a planet? What were the benfits of that position?

There were some political institutions. A senate? A House of Lords? What were the powers of those institutions?

Steve Black

Oct 1, 2023, 3:33:33 PM10/1/23
Hi I played house orbitus that took over Widowa. (A planet in the top right hand corner of the map). I was a minor house. You gained solars from your holdings. When you came a great house, you got the revenue of the worlds + holdings + vote in the house

It was a fun game but I ran out of money when I went to university- I hope this helps

antik...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2023, 12:27:53 PM11/19/23
Thanks. I actually found someone who'd saved the rulebook and many of the game newsletters. Was quite the nostalgia trip to read.