rec.games.netrek FAQ List

1 view

Tom Holub

Dec 21, 1993, 9:08:00 PM12/21/93
Archive-Name: games/netrek/faq
Last-Updated: 21 Dec 1993
Changes: Metaserver now located at metaserver.ecst.csuchico.edu.

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

1. What is Netrek?

2. It sounds interesting; how do I get started?

3. What's the difference between Xtrek and Netrek?

4. I've seen a game called Nettrek for the Macintosh; is that the same
thing as Netrek?

5. Can I play Netrek on my Mac/IBM PC/Amiga?

6. I would like to start a new server; what kind of hardware will I need?

7. I'm trying to start a new server, and I'm having problems. Where can I
get help?

8. How do I get people to play my server?

9. I compiled the client source, but every time I try to connect to a server
it kicks me out or tells me to get a 'blessed' binary. What gives?

10. The game runs fine, but when the Netrek window comes up, I can't type
anything into it. How can I fix this?

11. OK, the game runs fine and I found a server and logged in, but there
doesn't seem to be anyone else around. How can I find a game with
people in it?

12. OK, now I'm in a game with other people. What do I do?

13. When I'm playing the game, people keep sending messages to me. How can
I talk back to them?

14. I would like to change what some of the keys do; for example, I'd
like 't' instead of 'T' to activate my tractor beam. Is there a way
to change this?

15. How does the rating/promotion system work?

16. I keep dying. How can I get better at the game?

17. What is 't-mode'?

18. What does DI stand for, anyway?

19. Some of the servers and clients are called 'UDP'; what does that mean?

20. Some of the servers and clients are called 'RSA'; what does that mean?

21. I keep reading about the INL; what is it?

22. I have some ideas and/or bug fixes for the INL Server; where should I
send them?

23. Where can I get the most recent copy of this FAQ list?

24. My GPA has fallen 25% since I started playing Netrek last semester.
How do you find time to do your homework and still make Admiral?

NOTE: If you are using rn or trn, you can use ^G to browse through
the answers.

Subject: 1. What is Netrek?

Netrek is a 16-player graphical real-time battle simulation with a
Star Trek theme. The game is divided into two teams of 8 (or less), who
dogfight each other and attempt to conquer each other's planets. There
are several different types of ships, from fast, fragile scouts up to
big, slow battleships; this allows a great deal of variance in play
styles.

Netrek is set up as a client/server combination; if you want to play,
you'll need the client binary for your machine (most are X-based).

Subject: 2. It sounds interesting; how do I get started?

First, you need to get a client binary for your machine; read the
Netrek FTP List (which is usually posted along with this FAQ
list) to find an FTP site. The client should run on anything that
runs X Windows, although the slower your machine is, the harder it's
going to be to play. Slow networks are even harder to play with.

If you don't know how to use FTP, ask your local guru about it.

If you don't have access to FTP, you can use the mail server at
decwrl.dec.com. Mail ftp...@decwrl.dec.com with 'help' in the body
(nothing else) and you'll get an automatic reply with instructions.

Once you have the binary, rename it to something logical like 'netrek'
and run it with 'netrek -h <hostname> -p <port>'. Read the Netrek Server
List to find a server near you; the nearer, the better.

If you get a 'netrek: Permission denied' message, try 'chmod 755 netrek'.
After the game is over, try 'man chmod.'

Subject: 3. What's the difference between Xtrek and Netrek?

Xtrek is a precursor to Netrek. It has many of the same elements,
but it doesn't work as well because it isn't set up as a client-server
combination.

Unfortunately, Netrek is often called Xtrek. This causes much confusion.
This newsgroup really is dedicated to Netrek, but feel free to talk about
Xtrek if you want; many people here play both.

Subject: 4. I've seen a game called Nettrek for the Macintosh; is that the
same thing as Netrek?

No. Nettrek is in the same family as Netrek (it's unclear which was
created first), but it's not the same game. It runs over Appletalk
and doesn't have a whole lot of complexity. If you're interested in it,
the original version can be found in most net archive sites that support
Mac games. The most recent version is a commercial program called
"Nettrek 3.0 - The Real Version," and is published by Premiere Technology,
Inc.

Subject: 5. Can I play Netrek on my Mac/IBM PC/Amiga?

The Amiga client and server have just been released; they require
release 2 of the Amiga TCP/IP package (AS225) which is still in beta
testing and probably won't be released for several months. There is
another version being worked on which does not require this package, and
there is yet another version called DNetrek that runs over a Dnet
connection. Read the Netrek FTP List to find out where you can get
any of these.

There is a newly released client for the Macintosh; it's still buggy but
is playable.

If you are running Linux or 386BSD on your IBM PC, there are clients that
will work, although at 14.4K baud they are kinda sluggish. Look on
soda.berkeley.edu for information on how to run a client under Linux.

All these clients require a 9600+ baud modem and a unix account to
log into (or an IP address of your own).

Subject: 6. I would like to start a new server; what kind of hardware will
I need?

The server should run on anything that has Sys V shared memory and a good
amount of CPU power. Good net connections are essential if you want
lots of players.

Read the Netrek FTP list to find out where you can get the server
source.

Please get the permission of your sysadmins before setting up a server.
Netrek doesn't need any additional bad publicity.

Subject: 7. I'm trying to start a new server, and I'm having problems. Where
can I get help?

Read the Netrek FTP list to find out where the server-secrets files are
stored (currently at gs69.sp.cs.cmu.edu).

If you want to be put on the list, mail a short message to
netrek-...@iastate.edu and include the amount of C experience
you have, how much you know about netrek code, and anything else
that might be interesting.

Subject: 8. How do I get people to play my server?

Generally, people call up the Metaserver (see below) and try to get into
a game that already has people in it. If your school has a bunch of
people who play netrek, encourage them to use your server and people
from other places will begin to. If you don't have a local netrek
population, log on to the machine yourself and fight Hosers.

The other option is to modify the server enough that people are
interested in it for the novelty. Several of the more popular servers
have been created this way (Sturgeon and Paradise come to mind). Keep
in mind, if you do this, that you will attract weenies more than
serious players.

Subject: 9. I compiled the client source, but every time I try to connect to
a server it kicks me out or tells me to get a 'blessed' binary.
What gives?

It's possible to modify the client source to do lots of tedious tasks
(like aiming, dodging, that sort of thing) for you. Since this gives
you a big advantage over a mere human, netrek has a way of knowing whether
you have a client that was compiled by the netrek Gods or by you. If
you compiled it, netrek will assume it's a cyborg, and will kick you out
if it's not cyborg hours. Check the Netrek Server List for cyborg
hours of the servers; sometimes they're legal, sometimes they aren't.

There are several different messages you can get when your binary
isn't what the server is expecting:

1: "User binary failed to verify."

The server is expecting a standard blessed client; read the netrek FTP
list to find out where you can get one.

2: "No customized binaries. Please use a blessed one."

You have an RSA client, but the key for your client isn't on the list.
Mail the server god if you think your key should be included.

3: "You need a spiffy new RSA client for this server!"

You have a standard blessed client (or an unblessed client) but the
server accepts only RSA clients; read the netrek FTP list to find out
where you can get one.

If you are interested in playing a cyborg, get the source
from one of the FTP sites and start hacking, or download one of the
public cyborgs. It's probably not a good idea for new players to
use cyborgs; cyborg players get called lots of nasty names, and
they tend not to learn how to play the game (since their client is
doing most of the work). There is a mailing list for borg authors,
mail trekwrite...@b62103.student.cwru.edu to get on it.

Subject: 10. The game runs fine, but when the Netrek window comes up, I can't
type anything into it. How can I fix this?

This is a problem under a few window managers (OpenWindows and ovlwm, for
example); it's netrek's fault, but you can fix it by adding the line
"<window manager name>.FocusLenience: True" to your .Xdefaults file.
Log out and log back in and it should work.

Subject: 11. OK, the game runs fine and I found a server and logged in, but
there doesn't seem to be anyone else around. How can I find
a game with people in it?

Andy McFadden has written a nice little utility called Metaserver II
(based on METASERVER, written by ERic Mehlhaff) that will tell you
where there are active games. The Metaserver has recently moved from
charon.amdahl.com to metaserver.ecst.csuchico.edu. telnet
metaserver.ecst.csuchico.edu 3520 lists all known servers and current
number of players. You can also try telnet metaserver.ecst.csuchico 3521,
3522, 3523, or 3524 for more information.

Subject: 12. OK, now I'm in a game with other people. What do I do?

The first thing you should do is bring up your message window (by
hitting '?') and your player list (by hitting 'L'). Pressing a number
key chooses your warp speed. The left mouse button fires torpedos at
your cursor, the middle mouse button fires phasers at your cursor, and
the right mouse button turns your ship towards your cursor. Hitting
'h' will bring up a help window with a list of basic commands.

Subject: 13. When I'm playing the game, people keep sending messages to me.
How can I talk back to them?

On the bottom right-hand side of your main window you'll see two
long boxes. The top one is where messages like "Not enough fuel for
phaser" come up just before you die. The bottom one is the one you
use to talk to people. Move your cursor down there and type a character
to choose who to send the message to: 'A' for ALL, the capitalized
team letter for the team (i.e., 'F' for Federation), or the player
number for a message to a single player (i.e., 'c' to send to Rc).
Type your message and hit enter when you're done. Don't do this in
combat.

Subject: 14. I would like to change what some of the keys do; for example, I'd
like 't' instead of 'T' to activate my tractor beam. Is there
a way to do this?

There are two ways: first, do a shift-O. This brings up the options
window. Near the bottom there is a box for 'New keymap entries'.
Move your cursor to this box and type your new keymap entries. The
format is <newchar><oldchar>, so 'tT' will remap tractor beam to 't'.

Netrek also recognizes a .xtrekrc file; a 'keymap:' line in there
will allow you to map as many as you want. Format is the same
as above.

If you forget where you mapped a key, remapping it to itself ('ee', for
example) will reset that keymap.

Subject: 15. How does the rating/promotion system work?

Do a shift-I on yourself; you'll see four ratings there, one for planets,
one for bombing, one for offense, and one for defense. The planet,
bombing, and offense ratings are measured in DI/hour; for each planet
you take, army you bomb, and player you kill you get a certain amount
of DI (which varies depending on the server)--the average amount per
hour is your rating. Your rating is equal to (your DI/your hours)/
(total DI/total hours); therefore, if you have a bombing rating of
2.0, you bomb twice as many armies as the average person on the server.
This is true for all ratings. All ratings are updated only in t-mode.

Now do a shift-U. Listed there are the thresholds for each rank.
Your overall rating is your planets+bombing+offense. To make a rank,
you need to have the DI required for that rank, and your ratings need
to be above the rating required for that rank (i.e., to make Admiral,
you need 320 DI and your ratings need to be above 8.0). You can also
make a ranking by having ratings good enough for a level and *twice*
the DI you would need for the next level (So you can make Admiral
with ratings of 7.0 and 640 DI). This equation is recursive once, so you
can also make it with 6.0 ratings and 1280 DI (which would take about
200 hours). You can't make it with 5.0 ratings and 2560 DI; you would
flunk out first, and the server wouldn't promote you anyway.

On some servers, your defense also needs to be above .8 to advance
past Lt. Commander.

Note that suggestions on how to improve the rating system occur
about twice a week in rec.games.netrek, and the general consensus
is that it isn't worth the hassle.

Subject: 16. I keep dying. How can I get better at the game?

The best way is probably to talk with someone who knows how to play.
There is also an archive of hints and suggestions on how to play
better; read the Netrek FTP List to find out where it is
located.

Subject: 17. What is 't-mode'?

T-mode is short for 'tournament mode.' To keep some integrity in the
database, ratings are calculated only when there are a certain number
of people in the game (actually, when there are a certain number of
people on two separate teams. On many servers, you need 4 players
on 2 different teams; 4 teams of 2 players won't do it). When
the game goes into t-mode, there will be a 't' flag in your list
of flags, and there will be a message like "Dan Quayle declares self
as Galactic Emperor and chaos breaks out!" When the game drops out
of t-mode (because someone quit), the 't' flag will disappear and
there'll be a "Dan Quayle is locked up and order returns to the galaxy"
message.

It's generally considered rude to bomb or take planets out of t-mode.
Some servers punish people for trying.

Subject: 18. What does DI stand for, anyway?

Destruction Inflicted.

Subject: 19. Some of the servers and clients are called 'UDP'; what does
that mean?

UDP is a network protocol that is much more lenient than TCP (which is
what netrek originally used). If you don't have a local server, using a
UDP client on a UDP server could reduce your lag considerably.
Read the Netrek FTP List to find out where you can get a UDP client.
(Many thanks to Andy McFadden, Netrek Guru, for implementing the UDP
stuff).

Subject: 20. Some of the servers and clients are called 'RSA'; what does
that mean?

RSA is a new way for servers to make sure that players are not using
cyborg clients. The RSA package generates a header file containing
a public and a private encryption key. These keys are compiled into
the client; the private key encrypts the data and the public key
decrypts it. The main advantage of RSA over the old reserved.c
method is that the server gods need know only the public key; the
RSA package can be kept in a few select hands. Also, if someone
breaks the protection on a certain private key, that key can be
turned off by the server god, and that client will no longer work.

Subject: 21. I keep reading about the INL; what is it?

The INL is the International Netrek League, a collection of teams from
around the world who periodically beat up on each other. Applications
for the fall season are now closed; applications for the spring will be
accepted some time in January. All INL administrative stuff is available
by anonymous FTP from soda.berkeley.edu, in the directory /pub/netrek/INL
(this includes directions on how to sign up). Mail t...@soda.berkeley.edu
if you have any questions about the INL.

Subject: 22. I have some ideas and/or bug fixes for the INL server;
where should I send them?

If it's a change to the game or the INL rules, you should mail the
INL Council at inlco...@cs.montana.edu. If it's just a bug
fix or a new statistics idea or something, there's a mailing list
for INL Server hackers at i...@cs.montana.edu

Subject: 23. Where can I get the most recent copy of this FAQ list?

You can either look in the back messages of rec.games.netrek, or
get it via anonymous FTP from soda.berkeley.edu, directory /pub/netrek.
It's also in the Usenet archive at rtfm.mit.edu.
telnet metaserver.ecst.csuchico.edu 3524 gives the server information
from the server list.

Subject: 24. My GPA has fallen 25% since I started playing Netrek last
semester. How do you find time to do your homework and
still make Admiral?

Sorry, nobody's found an answer to this one yet. Just remember that
(GPA+kill ratio) is constant.

Tom Holub

Dec 21, 1993, 9:08:05 PM12/21/93
Last-Updated: 21 Dec 1993
Archive-Name: games/netrek/server-list
Changes: Servers now sorted by type; many thanks to Andrew Markiel for the
formatting.

This is a list of all known public Netrek servers. If you know of any
others, or if any of my information is wrong, please mail
t...@soda.Berkeley.EDU.

Note: All servers are UDP unless noted otherwise.

Subject: Vanilla servers in America (short listing)

bronco code, or Nick Trown's New Vanilla release. They are
not all identical but they have minimal modifications.

Server name INET address Port Notes

bronco.ece.cmu.edu 128.2.210.65 2592 Now RSA only.

calvin.usc.edu 128.125.62.143 2592 USC, RSA.

fife.ecn.purdue.edu 128.46.130.169 2592 Purdue.

harvey.cs.umd.edu 128.8.128.178 2592 Maryland.

netrek.cs.mcgill.ca 132.206.51.3 2592 Canada.

netrek.uml.edu 129.63.8.6 2592 UMass Lowell, RSA.

garnet.cdf.toronto.edu 128.100.31.36 5555 Canada, RSA.

wormhole.ecst.csuchico.edu 132.241.1.117 5858 Replaces guzzler, RSA.

netrek.unh.edu 132.177.131.238 2592 UNH, RSA only.

bigbang.astro.indiana.edu 129.79.157.41 2592 Indiana.

mimosa.astro.indiana.edu 129.79.157.53 2592 Indiana.

netrek.neosoft.com 198.64.6.13 2592 Texas, RSA.

tolstoy.afit.af.mil 129.92.140.38 2592 Ohio, experimental.

Subject: Vanilla servers outside America (short listing)

peanuts.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de 134.2.14.1 2592 Germany.

bayes.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de 134.169.34.33 5855 Germany.

legend.cma.fr 192.33.149.2 2592 France, RSA only.

netrek.chemietechnik.uni-dortmund.de 129.217.174.20 592 Germany.

eowyn.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de 134.106.21.33 2592 Germany.

ghost.dsi.unimi.it 149.132.1.2 2592 Italy, RSA.

netrek.cs.bham.ac.uk 147.188.192.10 2592 U.K. RSA only.

megalag.risc.uni-linz.ac.at 193.170.38.158 2592 Replaces melmac.

orca.cosy.sbg.ac.at 141.201.2.62 2592 Austria.

fisher.psy.vu.nl 130.37.96.2 2592 Amsterdam.

Subject: Sturgeon-style upgrade servers (short listing)

They include ship upgrades, a modified combat system,
ridiculous starbases, and more.

netrek.icaen.uiowa.edu 128.255.21.58 2592 Iowa.

earth.esrg.ucsb.edu 128.111.228.76 2592 UCSB.

Subject: Paradise-style servers (short listing)

Paradise source. They include an expanded galaxy, many new
ship types, transwarp, suns, and far too much else to list
here.

pippen.ee.usu.edu 129.123.1.36 2592 USU, RSA only.

netrek.cis.ufl.edu 128.227.224.254 2592 UFL, RSA only.

ravel.theo-physik.uni-kiel.de 134.245.67.30 2592 Germany.

Subject: Hockey servers (short listing)

(as modified by Brick Verser). It's impossible to describe,
you have to try it.

hockey.ksu.edu 129.130.6.10 2592 KSU hockey.

Comments and server configurations:

NOTE: It is an excellent idea to read the MOTD when you first log
on to a server (use 'f' and 'b' to move forwards and backwards through
the news).

Subject: Vanilla servers in America (long listing)

bronco.ece.cmu.edu:
Server source: Guzzler source.
UDP: version 1.0.
Hours: 5PM-9AM Eastern time Monday-Friday, all day on weekends.
T-mode: 5 on 5.
Maintainer: net...@bronco.ece.cmu.edu
Comments: The biggest East Coast server, t-mode nearly every night.
Clue hours 5PM to 6:30 and 10PM to midnight.
Supports RSA.
This server was down at the time of testing.

calvin.usc.edu
Server source: Scam source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: Open 24 hours.
Cyborgs: Never allowed, blessed binary required.
Maintainer: had...@ics.uci.edu
Comments: Jacked-up AS's and transwarp.

fife.ecn.purdue.edu
Server source: Bronco source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: 5PM-8AM EST Monday-Friday, all day on weekends.
Cyborgs: Never allowed, RSA client required.
Maintainer: tma...@ecn.purdue.edu.
Comments: DD's have 8000 fuel. Iggy is active.

harvey.cs.umd.edu
Server source: Bronco source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: 7PM-9AM Eastern Monday-Friday, all day on weekends.
Cyborgs: Never allowed, blessed binary required.
Maintainer: jer...@cs.umd.edu.

netrek.cs.mcgill.ca
Server source: Bronco source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: Open 24 hours.
Cyborgs: Never allowed.
Maintainer: ke...@cs.mcgill.ca

netrek.uml.edu
Server source: Guzzler source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: Open 24 hours.
Cyborgs: Never allowed, RSA client required.
Maintainer: one...@cs.uml.edu.
Comments: This server used to be on bigmax.ulowell.edu, and then
romulus.ulowell.edu, and then netrek.ulowell.edu. Supports short
packets, ping stats, and RCD.

garnet.cdf.toronto.edu
Server source: Bronco source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: Open 24 hours, take it easy during the day.
Cyborgs: Allowed Tuesday.
Maintainer: g0ni...@cdf.toronto.edu.
Comments: Tuesday is experimental day, torps usually vector.

wormhole.ecst.csuchico.edu
Server source: Guzzler source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: Open 24 hours.
Cyborgs: Never allowed, RSA client required.
Maintainer: tr...@ecst.csuchico.edu.
Comments: This server requires RSA. Now has the calvin database.
Supports short packets, ping reporting, and RCD.

netrek.unh.edu
Server source: Bronco source
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: Open 24 hours.
Cyborgs: Never allowed, RSA client required.
Maintainer: r...@baal.unh.edu.
Comments: Was experimental, is now normal Bronco. RSA clients required.

bigbang.astro.indiana.edu
Server source: Bronco source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: Open 24 hours.
Maintainer: net...@bigbang.astro.indiana.edu
Comments: Playerlist on port 2591. finger net...@bigbang.astro.indiana.edu
gives a high score list. Ship stats modified to weaken cruisers.

mimosa.astro.indiana.edu
Server source: Guzzler source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: Open 24 hours.
Maintainer: pi...@mimosa.astro.indiana.edu.
Comments: Replaces infant2.

netrek.neosoft.com
Server source: Guzzler source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: Open 24 hours.
Cyborgs: Never allowed, RSA client required.
Maintiner: ka...@Hammer1.NeoSoft.com.
Comments: Good net connections.

tolstoy.afit.af.mil
Server source: Guzzler source, hacked.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: Open 24 hours.
Comments: New orbit code, read the MOTD.

Subject: Vanilla servers outside America (long listing)

peanuts.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Server source: Bronco source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: 5PM-7AM Monday-Friday, all day on weekends.
Cyborgs: Allowed.
Maintainer: j...@peanuts.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de.

bayes.ibr.cs.tu-bs.edu
Server source: Bronco source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: Open 24 hours.
Cyborgs: Always allowed.
Maintainer: sch...@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de.

iacrs2.unibe.ch: This server is apparently down.

legend.cma.fr
Server source: Guzzler source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: Open 24 hours.
Cyborgs: Never allowed, RSA client required.
Maintainer: j...@cma.cma.fr.
Comments: Requires message reading.
Supports short packets and RC_DISTRESS.

virsjloff.cd.chalmers.se: This server is apparently down.

netrek.chemietechnik.uni-dortmund.de
Server source: Bronco source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: Closed 8 AM to noon Monday-Friday.
Maintainer: h...@plato.Chemietechnik.Uni-Dortmund.DE.
Comments: No Iggy.

eowyn.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de
Server source: Bronco source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: Open 24 hours.

ghost.dsi.unimi.it
Server source: Bronco source.
UDP: version 1.0.
Hours: Open 5PM-10AM Monday-Friday, all day on weekends.
Cyborgs: Always allowed.
Maintainer: ca...@ghost.dsi.unimi.it.

netrek.cs.bham.ac.uk
Server source: Bronco source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: 5PM to 8AM Monday-Friday, all day weekends.
T-mode: 4 on 4.
Cyborgs: Never allowed, RSA client required.
Maintainer: A.Wi...@cs.bham.ac.uk.

megalag.risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Server source: Bronco source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: Open 24 hours.
T-mode: 3 on 3.
Cyborgs: Never allowed, RSA client requird.
Maintainer: si...@risc.uni-linz.ac.at.
Comments: There is an INL server running here, mail the maintainer to
use it. Now supports short packets. Replaces melmac.

orca.cosy.sbg.ac.at
Server source: Bronco source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: Open 24 hours.
Maintainer: pe...@cosy.sbg.ac.at.
Comments: This server replaces flunder.cosy.sbg.ac.at.

fisher.psy.vu.nl
Server source: Bronco source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: Open 24 hours.
T-mode: 3 on 3.
Cyborgs: Discouraged.
Maintainer: r...@psy.vu.nl

Subject: Sturgeon-style upgrade servers (long listing)

netrek.cis.ksu.edu: This server is apparently down.

netrek.icaen.uiowa.edu (port 2592)
Server source: Sturgeon source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: 5PM-9AM Monday-Friday, all day on weekends.
Cyborgs: Allowed.
Maintainer: mil...@icaen.uiowa.edu.
Comments: Friday nights will be experimental.
This server was down at the time of testing.

earth.esrg.ucsb.edu
Server source: Sturgeon source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: Open 24 hours.
Maintainer: te...@toe.CS.Berkeley.EDU
Comments: Has the Sturgeon database.

Subject: Paradise-style servers (long listing)

pippen.ee.usu.edu
Server source: Paradise source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: Closed 6AM-5PM Monday-Friday.
Maintainer: bra...@cc.usu.edu
Comments: Experimental server; huge galaxy, new ship types, randomized
planet layouts, much more.
Read the MOTD to find out what's going on.
You must have the paradise client to play here, you can get it
from ftp.cis.ufl.edu.
This server was down at the time of testing.

netrek.cis.ufl.edu
Server source: Paradise source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: Open 24 hours.
Maintainer: th...@aviator.cis.ufl.edu
Comments: This is Arctica, another branch of the Paradise line.

ravel.theo-physik.uni-kiel.de
Server source: Paradise source.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: Open 24 hours.
Maintainer: molg...@theo-physik.uni-kiel.de
Comments: Good round-trip times.

Subject: Hockey servers (long listing)

hockey.ksu.edu
Server source: Bronco source, hockey mode.
UDP: Version 1.0.
Hours: Open 24 hours.
Cyborgs: Allowed.
Maintainer: b...@hobbes.ksu.ksu.edu.
Comments: Hockey mode all the time, send 'help' to player j for details.

netrek.cis.ksu.edu: This server is apparently down.

Tom Holub

Dec 21, 1993, 9:08:07 PM12/21/93
Last-Updated: 21 Dec 1993
Archive-Name: games/netrek/ftp-list
Changes: Various.

Contents:
FAQ LISTS
BLESSED CLIENTS
UNBLESSED CLIENTS (borgs)
SERVER SOURCE
UTILITIES
TIPS/ADVICE
INL STUFF
LIST OF SITES

If you are using rn/trn (or possibly others), you can use ^G to browse
from subject to subject.

Subject: FAQ LISTS
lists.

Location: soda.berkeley.edu /pub/netrek
rtfm.mit.edu /pub/usenet/rec.games.netrek

Subject: BLESSED CLIENTS
which means that most servers will accept them at all times
(unblessed clients get booted out). There are two types of
blessing, reserved.c (old) and RSA (new). Most servers are
now accepting only RSA-blessed clients. With some RSA clients,
you need to use -R on the command line to enable RSA blessing.
-o enables old-style blessing.

Name: BerkeleyRicksMoo 3.00+
Author: Team, distributed by l...@mtek.chalmers.se.
into one. This is probably the most popular client, and is
constantly updated. Supports RSA, short packets, ping stats,
and RCD.

Source: ftp.cd.chalmers.se /pub/netrek

Compiled binaries:
Dec Ultrix ftp.cd.chalmers.se /pub/netrek/brm-bin
Sequent PTX ftp.cd.chalmers.se /pub/netrek/brm-bin
ftp.risc.uni-linz.ac.at /pub/netrek/bin.rsa
SGI ftp.cd.chalmers.se /pub/netrek/brm-bin
crissy.berkeley.edu /pub
Sun 4 ftp.cd.chalmers.se /pub/netrek/brm-bin
pittslug.sug.org /pub/netrek/rsa
Sun 3 crissy.berkeley.edu /pub
386BSD pittslug.sug.org /pub/netrek/rsa
Linux soda.berkeley.edu /pub/netrek/linux
crissy.berkeley.edu /pub
HP 300 pittslug.sug.org /pub/netrek/rsa
HP 700 pittslug.sug.org /pub/netrek/rsa
FreeBSD ftp.cd.chalmers.se /pub/netrek/brm-bin

Name: COW-lite 1.10+
Author: pow...@cs.arizona.edu
engineered for speed. Supports RSA, short packets, ping stats,
and RCD.

Source: Not available.

Compiled binaries:
Dec Ultrix crissy.berkeley.edu /pub
SGI crissy.berkeley.edu /pub
Sun 3 crissy.berkeley.edu /pub
Sun 4 crissy.berkeley.edu /pub
Linux crissy.berkeley.edu /pub
HP 300 crissy.berkeley.edu /pub
HP 700 crissy.berkeley.edu /pub
SCO crissy.berkeley.edu /pub

Name: Berkeley client
Author: mehl...@ocf.berkeley.edu.
Supports RSA and short packets. Netrek For Morons mode (-M).
This client is NOT INL-legal.

Source: ocf.berkeley.edu /pub/netrek/Sources

Compiled binaries:
Dec Ultrix ocf.berkeley.edu /pub/netrek/Binaries
HP Apollo ocf.berkeley.edu /pub/netrek/Binaries
HP 300 pittslug.sug.org /pub/netrek/rsa
HP 700 pittslug.sug.org /pub/netrek/rsa
Sequent/DYNIX ocf.berkeley.edu /pub/netrek/Binaries
Sun 3 ocf.berkeley.edu /pub/netrek/Binaries
Sun 4 ocf.berkeley.edu /pub/netrek/Binaries
RS6000/AIX 3.2 pittslug.sug.org /pub/netrek/rsa
386BSD pittslug.sug.org /pub/netrek/rsa

Name: BRM-Hadley 1.5+
Author: had...@ics.uci.edu
client for slow machines. Supports RSA, short packets, and
ping stats. There is also a FONTBASED version for the sun 3
which uses fonts instead of bitmaps for the ships; this should
speed things up considerably.

Source: cad.ics.uci.edu /pub/netrek

Compiled binaries:
Sun 3 cad.ics.uci.edu /pub/netrek
Sun 4 cad.ics.uci.edu /pub/netrek
Linux soda.berkeley.edu /pub/netrek/linux
cad.ics.uci.edu /pub/netrek
HP 700 cad.ics.uci.edu /pub/netrek
SGI cad.ics.uci.edu /pub/netrek
MIPS cad.ics.uci.edu /pub/netrek

Name: iBRM
Author: pow...@cs.arizona.edu
features added. Features can be turned off by the server.
Supports RSA and short packets.

Source: csl.biosci.arizona.edu /pub/iBRM

Compiled binaries:
Sun 4 csl.biosci.arizona.edu /pub/iBRM
SGI csl.biosci.arizona.edu /pub/iBRM

Name: BRM Sound client for Linux
Author: si...@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
PC to add sound to the game. Supports RSA and short packets.

Source: Unavailable.

Compiled binaries:
Linux ftp.risc.uni-linz.ac.at /pub/netrek/bin.client

Name: RomaBerkMoo
Author: she...@iastate.edu
BRM added. Supports RSA, short packets, and RC_DISTRESS.

Source: Unavailable.

Compiled binaries:
Dec soils.agron.iastate.edu /pub/netrek

Name: Bronco client
Author: ?

Source: pittslug.sug.org /pub/netrek/rsa

Compiled binaries:
Dec 3100 pittslug.sug.org /pub/netrek/rsa
Vax Ultrix pittslug.sug.org /pub/netrek/rsa
HP 300 pittslug.sug.org /pub/netrek/rsa
HP 700 pittslug.sug.org /pub/netrek/rsa
RS6000/AIX 3.2 pittslug.sug.org /pub/netrek/rsa
RT-AOS pittslug.sug.org /pub/netrek/rsa
Sun 3 pittslug.sug.org /pub/netrek/rsa
Sun 4 pittslug.sug.org /pub/netrek/rsa
SGI pittslug.sug.org /pub/netrek/rsa
NeXT pittslug.sug.org /pub/netrek/rsa (CoXist or MouseX)

Name: Sound client
Author: ?
the game (a whole new way to annoy people trying to do work!)
Supports RSA. Headphones toggleable through the client.

Source: nyquist.cs.nott.ac.uk /pub/sound_client

Compiled binaries:
Sun 4 nyquist.cs.nott.ac.uk /pub/sound_client
ftp.cis.ksu.edu /pub/Games/netrek
Solaris 2 nyquist.cs.nott.ac.uk /pub/sound_client

Name: Paradise client 2.0+
Author: Team.
non-Paradise servers, but the RSA key isn't accepted on all
servers. Supports RSA. More visually appealing than most
clients. This client is needed to play on Paradise servers.

Source: ftp.cis.ufl.edu /pub/thoth/paradise

Compiled binaries:
Sun 3 ftp.cis.ufl.edu /pub/thoth/paradise
Sun 4 ftp.cis.ufl.edu /pub/thoth/paradise
Sun Solaris ftp.cis.ufl.edu /pub/thoth/paradise
SGI ftp.cis.ufl.edu /pub/thoth/paradise
RS6000 ftp.cis.ufl.edu /pub/thoth/paradise
HP Apollo ftp.cis.ufl.edu /pub/thoth/paradise
HP9000 s700 ftp.cis.ufl.edu /pub/thoth/paradise
Decstation ftp.cis.ufl.edu /pub/thoth/paradise
Linux ftp.cis.ufl.edu /pub/thoth/paradise

Name: VMS client
Author: ?

Source: ftp.uml.edu /netrek/VMS

Compiled binaries:
VMS ftp.uml.edu /netrek/VMS

Name: Vax Ultrix client
Author: ?

Source: Unavailable.

Compiled binaries:
Vax Ultrix ftp.unh.edu /pub/submissions/netrek/local

Name: Mac client/Netrek Display Bridge
Author: j...@barkley.berkeley.edu, jia...@postgres.berkeley.edu
unix host via a 9600+ baud modem. You need both the Netrek
Display Bridge (NDB, on the unix end) and the Mac client
itself. This client is newly released and still buggy.

Source: Not available.

Compiled binaries:
Sun 4 pittslug.sug.org /pub/MacTrek
Dec 3100 pittslug.sug.org /pub/MacTrek

Name: Amiga client
Author: je...@cbmvax.cbm.com
host via a 9600+ baud modem if you have the beta version of
release 2 of the Commodore Amiga TCP/IP package.

Source: pittslug.sug.org /pub/netrek

Compiled binaries:
Amiga pittslug.sug.org /pub/netrek

Name: DNetrek client
Author: mehl...@ocf.berkeley.edu
unix host using the DNet windowing program. It is very new
and experimental (alpha release).

Source: ocf.berkeley.edu /pub/amiga

Compiled binaries:
Amiga ocf.berkeley.edu /pub/amiga

Subject: UNBLESSED CLIENTS (Borgs)
servers which do binary checking. These clients have various
features which aid standard human play (such as auto-aiming,
auto-firing, auto-dodging, etc.)

Name: Sunborg
Author: Roger Wong (Scout Popcorn)

Source: Unavailable.

Compiled binaries:
Sun 4 grind.isca.uiowa.edu /unix/netrek/binaries

Name: Grandfather borg
Author: David Teo

Source: Unavailable.

Compiled binaries:
Sun 4 grind.isca.uiowa.edu /unix/netrek/binaries
NeXT grind.isca.uiowa.edu /unix/netrek/binaries
Decstation grind.isca.uiowa.edu /unix/netrek/binaries

Subject: SERVER SOURCE
try to set up a server, make sure your sysadmin approves. Also,
running a server takes rudimentary programming skills and the
ability to understand and use 'make' and other Unix tools; don't
expect to be able to FTP one of these packages and have a server
up and running with no effort.

Name: Scam server
Author: Kevin Smith and Scott Silvey

Location: scam.berkeley.edu /src/games/xtrek

Name: New Vanilla Server 2.00+
Author: Nick Trown
up-to-date and portable, highly recommended.

Source: ftp.ecst.csuchico.edu /pub/netrek/src

Compiled binaries:
Linux soda.berkeley.edu /pub/netrek/linux
ftp.risc.uni-linz.ac.at /pub/netrek/bin.misc
Sequent/PTX ftp.risc.uni-linz.ac.at /pub/netrek/bin.misc

Name: Bronco server
Author: Terence Chang
but generally a solid release.

Location: gs69.sp.cs.cmu.edu /code
ftp.cis.ksu.edu /pub/Games/netrek

Name: INL Server
Author: Ray Jones, Eric Mehlhaff, and now i...@cs.montana.edu.
organized, fixed-length games. Latest revision is 4.00pl8.

Location: crissy.berkeley.edu /pub

Name: KSU Chaos Server
Author: ?
isn't so much anymore.

Location: ftp.cis.ksu.edu /pub/Games/netrek

Name: Paradise Server
Author: Team
different game than standard netrek. Still under development.

Location: ftp.cis.ufl.edu /pub/thoth/paradise

Name: Base practice server (binary only)
Author: Tedd Hadley
vlsi.ics.uci.edu. Includes base ogg robots. Binary only.

Compiled binaries:
Linux: ftp.risc.uni-linz.ac.at /pub/netrek/bin.misc/linux-nt.tgz

Subject: UTILITIES
gods and some for netrek players. There are probably more out there
which I've failed to list.

Name: xsg
Author: Tedd Hadley (had...@cad.ics.uci.edu) (originally Andy McFadden)
god to change ship stats, planet stats, watch the game, and much
more.

Location: cad.ics.uci.edu /pub/netrek
pittslug.sug.org /pub/netrek

Name: trekhopd
Author: Andy McFadden (fad...@uts.amdahl.com)
netrek. trekhopd runs on the firewall, and your client calls
up trekhopd. Installation instructions are included.

Location: charon.amdahl.com /pub/netrek
pittslug.sug.org /pub/netrek

Name: pledit
Author: Andy McFadden (fad...@uts.amdahl.com)

Location: charon.amdahl.com /pub/netrek

Name: ckplayers
Author: ?
there is a wait queue, it reports its length.

Location: gs69.sp.cs.cmu.edu /code

Name: XnetrekM
Author: Tedd Hadley (had...@cad.ics.uci.edu)

Location: cad.ics.uci.edu /pub/netrek
gs69.sp.cs.cmu.edu /code

Name: RES-RSA package.
Author: Team.
server gods and client builders. It can be legally obtained
only by US and Canadian citizens; mail tr...@ecst.csuchico.edu
for the key to decrypt the source package.

Location: ftp.ecst.csuchico.edu /pub/netrek/src

Name: PGP (RSA clone) package.
Author: James Hawtin
encryption/decryption package for server gods and client
builders. It can be legally used anywhere outside the USA.
In the USA, using it is a patent violation.

Location: ftp.risc.uni-linz.ac.at /pub/netrek/src

Subject: TIPS/ADVICE
old-timers.

Location: gs69.sp.cs.cmu.edu (default directory)
Comments: This a collection of advice culled from the old CMU netrek
bboard, and then from alt.games.xtrek and now rec.games.netrek.
There is all kinds of good stuff here about how to play various
ships and roles. There is also a sample .xtrekrc. You'll find
definitions of words like 'ogg' here. There are also tips on how
to get a server running, and much more. This archive is available
over AFS (cd /afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/jch/netrek) and WAIS
(gourd.srv.cs.cmu.edu, port 6000, name netrek-ftp).

Subject: INL STUFF
Netrek League.

Name: Administrative documents

Location: soda.berkeley.edu /pub/netrek/INL
Comments: The latest versions of all documents related to the INL can be
found here, including current rosters, schedules, etc.

Name: INL Server
Author: Ray Jones, Eric Mehlhaff, and now i...@cs.montana.edu.
organized, fixed-length games. Latest revision is 4.00pl8.

Location: crissy.berkeley.edu /pub

Subject: LIST OF SITES

scam.Berkeley.EDU 128.32.138.1 The original site (now outdated).
soda.berkeley.edu 128.32.149.19 INL administrata, FAQ lists.
crissy.berkeley.edu 128.32.156.224 INL server.
ftp.cd.chalmers.se 129.16.79.20 Berkeleyricksmoo client.
ocf.berkeley.edu 128.32.184.252 Berkeley client.
ftp.cis.ksu.edu 129.130.10.80 Mirrors.
pittslug.sug.org 192.58.107.150 Bronco clients, RSA stuff.
gs69.sp.cs.cmu.edu 128.2.206.167 Learn to play here!
b62103.student.cwru.edu 129.22.242.151 NeXT stuff.
ftp.iastate.edu 129.186.140.11 Little bit of everything.
iacrs2.unibe.ch 130.92.11.4 Source for IBM rs6k/AIX.
sgi.com 192.48.153.1 Silicon Graphics binary.
cad.ics.uci.edu 128.195.1.42 UDP client.
ftp.coe.montana.edu 192.31.215.240 Mirrors.
ftp.informatik.uni-rostock.de 139.30.5.23 Galaxy client.
ftp.ulowell.edu 129.63.32.1 VMS client.
ftp.unh.edu 132.177.128.99 VAX Ultrix client.
duke.me.chalmers.se 129.16.50.80 ntpatch source.
charon.amdahl.com 129.212.11.1 Andy McFadden's stuff.
ftp.chemietechnik.uni-dortmund.de 129.217.174.20 Mirrors gs69.sp.cs.cmu.edu.
tbird.cc.iastate.edu 129.186.140.11 Game recorder server mod.
melmac.risc.uni-linz.ac.at 140.78.140.60 RSA stuff/ENL archive.
nyquist.cs.nott.ac.uk 128.243.22.10 Sparc sound client.
ftp.cis.ufl.edu 128.227.100.252 Paradise clients.
legend.cma.fr 192.33.149.2 Various clients and docs.