FWD: "Countdown" Gemin Conversion - Nice Job!

Ami A. Silberman

Dec 19, 2002, 1:55:33 PM12/19/02

Derek Lyons wrote:

> Pat Flannery <fla...@daktel.com> wrote:
>

> >Pat Flannery wrote:
> >

> >> My MOL's better than his MOL....nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah!
> >

> >.....and I'll bet he doesn't even have a 'Thopter:
> >http://starshipmodeler.net/contest4/v_s06.htm
>
> http://www.culttvman.com/gino_dykstra_s_dune_ornithopte.html
>
> >....or a Martian War Machine attacking the Thunder Child with a working
> >laser:
> >http://www.starshipmodeler.com/gallery2/pf_ram.htm
>
> http://www.culttvman.com/joel_tavera_s_war_machine.html

Vaguely on topic, I used to belong to a wargames club that played a lot
of naval miniatures in 1/2400 scale (both ship and ground, er, water).
Between the various members, we probably had every battleship build
between 1880 and 1945, and representatives of most of the other classes
of ships. For what its worth, we used the old TSR "Cordite and Steel"
rules, with updated gunnery charts from the game's author.

One year we played a massive battle between about a dozen Martian War
Machines and the combined British and French Channel fleets, with a
couple of old Turkish cruisers which were around for some sort of
diplomatic show-the-flag mission.

The battle was in doubt, with the earthlings getting the worst of it,
when the tide was turned by the remaining Turkish cruiser. Its crew had
all succumbed to the Martian poison gas, but the Martian command ship
wasn't able to get out of its way. The collision sheared off two of the
Martian tripods legs, and a second war machine tripped over the wreckage
and also went down. (We had plotted movement, with an opportunity
halfway through the move to make an emergency turn.)

Pat's machine looked cooler though.

Pat Flannery

Dec 19, 2002, 6:48:31 PM12/19/02

Ami A. Silberman wrote:

>Pat's machine looked cooler though.

I'll bet the Yamato could have nailed a few.....
I tried to base the design as much as possible on the description in the
book I have a far larger model of another War Machine with lots of
moving and poseable parts in 1/48th scale- this one has Queen Victoria
in it's clutches, and all her doughtiness appears to be of but little
worth against it's evil; it also has a laser in the heat ray.

Pat