plasticard???

Paul and Kristin Shoemaker

Oct 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/9/97

hi all,

Just a quick question. I was looking at the TerraGenesis pages on
terrain building (which by the way are great) when a question occured to
me. What the heck is plasticard exactly and where do you get it? I
mean, is plasticard one of those British (no disrespect intended) terms
which us Americans can't understand (ie. PVA glue = Elmer's white
glue)or am I just missing something very basic?

I've looked around at Home Depot, Michael's (a craft store), and a few
other places and I've never found anything like what it appears to be.
Can anyone tell me where to find this stuff as it seems so versitile and
useful.

Thanks in advance.

Paul :)

p.s. please e-mail me as well as posting as I don't check the newsgroup
every day. Thanks.

DBurgerOTR

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

Plasticard is simply polystyrene plastic . . same stuff that is used in all
those model cars and planes. You can buy sheets of the stuff at your local
hobby/radio-control/ model railroad shop or through catalogs that deal with
that kind of merchandise. You can purchase it in varying thicknesses and some
of it even has relief molded right in! Be warned, however, it's moderately
expensive. If your local store doesn't have it . . ask them to carry the
product. The leading manufacturer is Plastruct in the US, but there are
others. The also make cool girders and tubing for use in terrain. >Just a

Douglas_J._Evans

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

In article <19971010024...@ladder02.news.aol.com>

dburg...@aol.com (DBurgerOTR) writes:

>Plasticard is simply polystyrene plastic . . same stuff that is used in all
> those model cars and planes. You can buy sheets of the stuff at your local
> hobby/radio-control/ model railroad shop or through catalogs that deal with
> that kind of merchandise.

***rest of very useful information snipped***

Small warning: there seems to be different kinds of plastic in some of the
Plastruct(sp? maybe I snipped too much!) products. Confirmed by a local shop
owner, I believe the white stuff is real PS, not sure what the grey is, but
it acts differently when I've tried working it.

rec.models.scale has a lot of info on this, though that list seems even
more difficult to keep up with than r.g.m.w! One thing pointed out was that
some commercial signs are made out of PS. I have a sign from the jeans dept.
at a local discount store, Target(they were throwing them out, honest!) about
18"x40-50". Little on the thin for some structural stuff, it'll become walls
for a Necro tower, with plenty for tanks, I'm thinking.

The_Beast(they don't call me scrounge master for naught!)

Jamie Ott

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97
to pas...@thecia.net

Paul and Kristin Shoemaker wrote:

> hi all,

> Just a quick question. I was looking at the TerraGenesis pages on
> terrain building (which by the way are great) when a question occured to
> me. What the heck is plasticard exactly and where do you get it? I
> mean, is plasticard one of those British (no disrespect intended) terms
> which us Americans can't understand (ie. PVA glue = Elmer's white
> glue)or am I just missing something very basic?
>
> I've looked around at Home Depot, Michael's (a craft store), and a few
> other places and I've never found anything like what it appears to be.
> Can anyone tell me where to find this stuff as it seems so versitile and
> useful.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Paul :)
>
> p.s. please e-mail me as well as posting as I don't check the newsgroup
> every day. Thanks.

Paul,
Plasticard is called Polystyrene here in the U.S, you should be able to buy it at any respectable
train/hobby shop. It does get expensive, so if you can find an alternative go for it.

T Thomas13

Oct 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/16/97

Most local hobby shops in our area carry the Evergreen brand of sheet
styrene, but it does tend to get expensive. When you need exact sizes and
thickness, it cant be beat, but for largew projects, I simply go to
Wal-Mart and pick up some plastic yard sale signs. They are made of
polystyrene, and if cut so the wording goes inside of whateer you're
building, they function perfectly well. Until someone looks underneath your
scratch-built baneblade, and sees the remains of the word "sale", then you
have some explaining to do.

Tony

LoneWolf

Oct 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/17/97

> Plasticard is called Polystyrene here in the U.S, you should be able to buy it at any respectable
>train/hobby shop. It does get expensive, so if you can find an alternative go for it.

WTF?

Plasticard is very different to (expanded) polystyrene, being a sheet
of plastic which is quite brittle but also pretty cuttable, etc.

LoneWolf.

"Without human intervention, there is only one
word to summarise future of the wolf: Extinction."

Saber's Edge

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

pon...@hotmail.com wrote in message <344AED...@hotmail.com>...
>Does anyone know a good place to get plasticard in Australia? Please
>e-mail me.

Sorry, not specifically. But you may want to try hobby shops specializing
in model railroad stuff...

Paul M. Knowles
Saber's Edge Hobbies and Games
sa...@icenter.net