[MUSE] 3056 MUSE Monthly Survey Results

John Dutka

Sep 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/3/96

If you are a current player of the BattleTech 3056 MUSE at btech.netaxs.com
and have not yet done so, please take the survey at:

http://pcnet.com/~jdutka/myform1.html

Remember, that if you can not answer ALL of the questions, you should NOT
take the survey. "Don't Know" or n/a (not applicable) are not considered
answers, and multiple responses will be sent to the offending user's SysAdmin
(one person repeatedly took my survey and nearly filled my disk space).

**********

Please don't flame me for this, as all flames will be taken as harassment
and forwarded to the appropriate postmaster at the offending person's site.
These are the opinions of the players, and considerable time was taken to
gather and summarize this information, and hopefully it will serve some
purpose.

Note that all the comments were taken word for word from the surveys I have
received to date, about an equal number of which were received before
and after Amaris took the Theme_Manager job. While an increasing number (20
to 30 or so responses have come after Bjorn_Jorgensson became Theme_Manager.
Not all categories add up to the same numbers, since some players did not
answer all questions including their faction.

To summarize, a good percentage of the responses named as best player someone
in their own faction and theirs as the best faction, while often naming their
faction's IC enemy as the worst faction. A good number of IS players (and
one or two Clan players) voted RoE as a good rule that needed to be enforced
more strongly, while most of the Clan players voted that they should have
a looser RoE level and one even said the worst rule was having to challenge
vehicles and infantry. Char_Manager seems to be so high in the rankings
because friends voted for him (that was specified in 6 of the votes) while
the majority of Dave's votes as best admin came from players in CGB, his
player's faction. For the most part, players care little for roleplaying and
seem more concerned with getting their combat fix, even if at the expense of
ICness. Note that all of the players voting for their favorite rule as the
piloting roll when walking backwards were those who didn't take the survey
terribly seriously.

Directors:
Most of the players making comments on the directors feel that those
directors do little or nothing and that egos have grown too large and a good
number of the admins are rude. A large percentage also think that the admins
are corrupt and are there to further their own pet faction and make rulings
designed to hurt factions they hold grudges against. The think that the
admins have an attitude that their decisions aren't to be argued with, won't
entertain discussing it, and don't see game as being for the players any more,
unconcerned with players' needs. Further, they think there is too much
turnover and don't stick to rulings.

Coders:
The largest percentage of players responding think the code is buggy and
should be fixed before adding new code and that the coders aren't doing their
jobs and are falling behind other BattleTech MUSEs, while a large number
still think they are doing a good job.

Combat:
Players seem to think that most of the combat admins aren't nice, aren't
competent enough to handle IC combat on the MUSE, and are corrupt to the
point of stacking the deck against certain factions. A large number also
thought that combat needs work and they should stop delaying and slowing ICC
dates, while a small percentage think they are doing a good job.

Economy:
The vast majority of players responding thought unfavorably of the Economy
group and admins, thinking he doesn't do a good job and doesn't do his job.
About one third that number thinks he does a good job and equal numbers think
that Economy rules change too often and should be fixed in place to allow
progress on the MUSE. A slightly smaller number of players think that
incomes were cut and not based at all on FASA, leaving some factions without
enough cash to act ICly.

Theme:
The majority of players seem to think that the Theme group has made quite a
few poor rulings that are more often wrong than correct and seem to take
issue with the lack of consistency in Theme rulings and the numerous changes
in rules and uneven application of those rules, often to the extent of
corruption and self-serving decisions.

Roleplay Watch:
Most of the unfavorable RPW votes are from Clan players, who, with very few
exceptions, only want combat and no RP, grading RP poorly and combat well.
A majority of the few Clan players who voted RP as their favorite part of the
game seem to have contradicted that answer by making comments in various
locations that there was far too little combat, one even commenting that
there was no use for RP.

The majority of non-merc IS players favored RP, however, but thought that
RPW needs to police ROE and IC more often, keep in touch with the factions
more, and hold more admin-run RP plots. Most of the players voted for
themselves and their faction as favorites, showing that the players either
consider themselves and their faction overly important or have little or no
constructive interaction with other factions and players within their own
faction. Most of the unfavorable RPW votes came from players who stated
that RPW is responsible for individual RP on the MUSE and took little or no
responsibility for their own RP. Players also seem to think that the MUSE
needs more admin-run RP plots and that Clan RoE needs to be enforced more
strongly while the Inner Sphere factions need to be kept IC, too.

Construction:
The majority of player comments about the Construction group are favorable.
Players think they are starting to get things done and are doimg a good job,
but things need more work on details, like @osucc, etc. and they spend too
much time on spammy code or details. However, lately these results seem to
be slowly shifting to the belief that the Construction group is getting
little done and what is done is of poor quality and incomplete. Only the
future will tell if this trend plays out.

CHF Academy:
A large number of players think that CHF is doing a good job but needs more
instructors, while a slightly higher percentage think that CHF is a bad idea
and that it doesn't do the job, as its trainers and cadets still seem not to
know much. Players think that CHF needs alot more emphasis on RP and less
on combat and needs to run their own RP plots to help the players learn what
is good RP, what is IC and what is OOC for each faction. They also think
that it was a good idea, but neutered by the admins when they made it
voluntary.

Faction: 24 * FWL 21 * FC 20 * CS
16 * KH 14 * DC 13 * ADMIN
13 * WD 11 * SIC 10 * NEWBIE (CHF)
9 * CC 9 * CSV 8 * CJF
7 * 12VR 7 * CGB 7 * CSJ
7 * FRR 7 * NWH 6 * WOB
5 * CW 4 * CNC 4 * WR
3 * SI 2 * BT 2 * GDL
2 * SCB 1 * 21CL 1 * RETIRED ADMIN

Director Grade: 35 * Poor Coder Grade: 13 * Poor
91 * Fair 49 * Fair
95 * Good 119 * Good
11 * Excellent 55 * Excellent
4 * Don't Know 0 * Don't Know

Combat Group Grade: 42 * Poor Econ Group Grade: 45 * Poor
60 * Fair 73 * Fair
92 * Good 87 * Good
41 * Excellent 24 * Excellent
1 * Don't Know 7 * Don't Know

Theme Group Grade: 61 * Poor RP Group Grade: 89 * Poor
73 * Fair 69 * Fair
71 * Good 50 * Good
30 * Excellent 25 * Excellent
1 * Don't Know 2 * Don't Know

Construction 16 * Poor CHF Academy Grade: 66 * Poor
Group Grade: 20 * Fair 63 * Fair
47 * Good 52 * Good
33 * Excellent 44 * Excellent
3 * Don't Know 11 * Don't Know

Favorite Part of Game: 144 * Combat 92 * RP

Best Admin: 22 * Chagrin 14 * Economy_Manager
12 * Char_Manager 12 * Dave
8 * Abaddon 8 * Saura
6 * Constr_Manager 6 * Walker_Boh
4 * DrBob 4 * Sage
3 * Albert_Einstein 3 * Theme_Manager (Ryan)
2 * Andrew_Martin 2 * Charlie
2 * Dixie 2 * JohnD
2 * Kuryakin 2 * Morpheus
2 * Narc

Worst Admin: 30 * Guzzer 17 * Sage
13 * Dave (Shane) 12 * Char_Manager
8 * Andrew_Martin 6 * Theme_Manager (Ryan)
4 * Amaris 4 * Economy_Manager
3 * Chagrin 3 * Charlie
3 * Saura 2 * Sabin
2 * Theme_Manager (Bjorn_Jorgensson)

Best Faction: 20 * KH 18 * FWL 17 * FC
17 * WD 16 * CS 15 * DC
10 * CW 9 * NWH 9 * SIC
8 * 12VR 8 * CGB 8 * FRR
7 * CC 6 * CJF 5 * CSJ
5 * CSV 5 * WR 4 * CNC
4 * GDL 3 * SI 3 * TC
2 * SCB 2 * WOB

Worst Faction: 29 * CLANS 22 * CJF 21 * WD
17 * CC 17 * WOB 12 * FC
11 * CW 10 * SI 8 * CSV
8 * NWH 6 * CGB 6 * MERCS
5 * DC 3 * CNC 3 * FWL
3 * SCB 2 * 12VR 2 * 21CL
2 * ADMIN 2 * CHF 2 * CSJ

Best Player: 9 * Jammer/Jammerpoo 7 * Siona_Atreides
6 * Jaime_Wolf (DrBob) 6 * Morgan_Kell (Zak)
5 * Tannim_Wylde 4 * Robin_Waco (now Candace_Liao)
3 * Jason_MacDuff 3 * Firebird
3 * Lord_Donovan 3 * Saint_Kincaid
3 * Tess_Loren/Lithe_Maccallum
3 * Thomas_Marik 3 * Victor_S-Davion
2 * Alan_Spencer 2 * Anastasius_Focht
2 * Bane_Brando 2 * Darkhosis
2 * Galavon_Pasig 2 * Grayson_Carlyle
2 * Jaime_Wolf (old Johnny_Clavell)
2 * Lewis_B_Puller 2 * Lincoln_Osis
2 * Orion_Redwing 2 * Rianna_Furey
2 * Selim_Malas 2 * Severen_Leroux
2 * Terence_Stawiec 2 * Trent_Arian
2 * Vandervan_Chistu 2 * Yuri_Malinov

Worst Player: 7 * Tianna_Blackhawk 6 * Doo
4 * Elik_Spearman 3 * Jaime_Wolf (old Johnny_Clavell)
3 * Moro_Hanamura 3 * Silvertip
3 * Siona_Atreides 3 * Skylar
2 * Babyface_Duncer 2 * Balif
2 * Cross_Blackhawk 2 * Morgan_H-Davion
2 * Pith/Cargan/CAKE 2 * Lazarus_Long
2 * Nimrod_Stolkas 2 * William_MacLeod

Best Rule: 24 * No multi-factioning.
19 * 3056 has no rules that are enforced or
I don't follow the rules.
13 * Clan RoE (when enforced correctly).
8 * Weather.
6 * Be IC.
6 * No VRT.
6 * Torso flooding.
4 * Pilot roll for walking backwards.
3 * Delays for standing up after dropping
and/or searchlights.
3 * IDF w/o spotters.
3 * Removing OOC powers.

Worst Rule: 27 * Pilot roll for walking backwards.
14 * Flooding rules.
14 * New stats system (stats on mechs).
10 * 3056 has no rules that are enforced.
8 * No multi-factioning.
7 * ROE (when not enforced correctly).
6 * No VRT.
5 * Multi-char rules.
5 * OOC sims are allowed.
5 * Scaling down mechs and DS weapons/armor.
4 * Removing OOC powers.
4 * Vehicles crit too easily.
3 * No charging w/ torso weapons recharging,
can't fire after a charge until arms and
legs recycle.
3 * Searchlight delays.
3 * Spying rules and spies not getting stats.
3 * Thou shalt not insult Guzzer (a
direct quote).
2 * Allowing players OOC powers.
2 * Enforcing RP and IC.
2 * Have to challenge vehicles and infantry.
2 * No customizing mechs.
2 * Planet building rules.

Director Comment: 66 * Admins incompetent and/or many do
little or nothing.
26 * Egos have grown too large and/or
admins are rude.
20 * Admins are corrupt.
15 * Attitude that their decisions aren't
to be argued with, wont entertain
discussing it and don't see game as being
for the players any more - unconcerned
with players' needs.
12 * Too much turnover and don't stick to
rulings.
8 * Good job.
7 * Lack of a direction/plan all the way
from the top on down.
3 * Admins are Guzzer brown-nosers.
2 * Admins blame the players for 3056's
failure but it's their fault in the end.

Code/Coder Comment: 35 * Buggy code and it should be fixed
before adding new code.
32 * Not doing their jobs and/or falling behind other
MUSEs.
27 * Good job.
11 * Should be following FASA rules, not their own little
pet peeves and projects.
8 * Too much messing with things that dont need messing
with and code was much better when people like Abaddon
& Dixie were working on it instead of Dave & Grunt.
5 * Inconsiderate of players when doing code upgrades.
4 * Dave tries to take credit while sits on his ass and
does nothing and/or is rude.
2 * Dave alters code to favor clans w/o regards to
realism or FASA rules.

Combat Comment: 32 * Most of the admins aren't nice, and/or aren't competent,
and/or are corrupt.
29 * Combat needs work and/or it sucks.
25 * They should stop delaying/slowing ICC dates.
12 * Good job.
7 * It's just a sim site because admins offer combat as only
incentive for waiting for IC. They should let it go
IC and let people RP until the code is ready.
5 * Need more combat.
2 * Need smaller actions instead of the huge battles, some
inter-Clan and inter-IS attacks and raids.
2 * Stop overruling things and redoing them.

Econ Comment: 40 * Doesn't do his job/a good job and should be fired.
13 * Good job.
10 * Changes too often - should be fixed and stop changing.
7 * Incomes were cut leaving some w/o enough cash and/or seem
obviously not based on FASA.
4 * Butts in where he doesn't belong and/or is rude/corrupt.
4 * Need new economy coded and/or system clunky and not tied
to hcode.
4 * Too difficult/complicated to get involved in.

Theme Comment: 51 * Should get some sourcebooks and novels and actually read
some of them and/or rulings are more often wrong than
correct.
29 * No consistency in theme rulings and too many changes.
26 * Theme_Manager never online and/or doesn't do his job.
10 * Good job.
3 * Bjorn_Jorgensson is corrupt, makes rulings only to
help his own faction, and should be fired.
2 * Amaris plays favorites and hurts factions he hates with
his theme rulings.

RPW Comment: 71 * Very little RP and need more admin run plots.
23 * Good job.
17 * Seems most players don't want RP so RPW fights an uphill
battle.
16 * Not policing ROE and proper Clan RP enough.
13 * Not policing RP and OOC/OOC spying enough.
5 * Roleplaying in Btech? This isn't Mechwarrior you know.

Con Comment: 19 * Starting to get things done and/or good job.
4 * Needs more work on details, like @osucc, etc.
3 * MUSE building only looks to be half done.
2 * Spend too much time on spammy code or details.

CHF Comment: 28 * Needs more trainers.
16 * Bad idea.
13 * Good job.
12 * Doesn't do the job and/or trainers and cadets still seem
not to know much.
11 * Good idea.
10 * Needs more emphasis on RP and less on combat and needs to
run some of its own TPs.
9 * Good idea but neutered by the admins when they made it
voluntary.
3 * Too hard on newbies.
2 * Idealistic but when you try and make people learn something
besides simming you know they're going to bitch about it.
2 * Too many testers OOC recruiting for their own factions
in CHF.

General Comment: 14 * MUSE too big.
13 * Shut it down, it's dead and has been going downhill
for a while and/or is a disappointment/will never go
anywhere.
9 * Get rid of OOC and IFS sims.
5 * Get rid of and/or too many mercs.

Of all the comments, there were a few that distinguished themselves above
the others for reasons which will become obvious as you read them:

Worst Rule:
1 * Can't nuke Siona without a reason.

General Comment:
1 * CJF are such intense munchkins it's unbelievable.
1 * Greatest damage done to Btech by Genocide and 4001. Before that laugh
was not spelled l-a-f.
1 * I can linedance better than anyone on '56.
1 * It's just a ChatMUSE 3056.
1 * Killing things satisfies me. RP is fun too but it takes a lot of time,
and I pay for my time online so the more action, the better
1 * "Regulan invasion" was the worst thing that happened to the FWL.
1 * RP too much can hurt your head.
1 * There's no use for RP.
1 * They should let us do things the FASA timeline doesn't allow (a FWL
player in data set 34).
--
| John A. Dutka, Jr. | Micro Credo: Never trust a computer bigger than |
| jdu...@pcnet.com | you can lift. |

Casey Stout

Sep 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/6/96

Woo HOO!

I got two votes for the worse player on 3056!!

aint my fault you people suck so bad at combat...PIGS!

babyface duncer 'Clan Snord'

John Dutka

Sep 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/6/96

In article <1996Sep...@nyssa.swt.edu>,

Casey Stout <cs1...@nyssa.swt.edu> wrote:
>Woo HOO!
>I got two votes for the worse player on 3056!!
>aint my fault you people suck so bad at combat...PIGS!

Ahhhh...I see why - it's the sparklingly refreshing personality :)

Elik

Sep 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/12/96

ROFL... Nice one John. Now I am posted in three different catagories in
different characters...

BTW... if you all have not noticed...this is Elik Spearman... Yes.. One of
the worst players here from the look of the survey result there. But also
named one top 5 favorite directors with good ratings in the Construction
Group althrough having Conman and Albert in the same group is kinda of
amusing there.

Well guys... now you have finally heard me... and I hope that you
old-timers who have missed me during the absence of the Btech 3056 being
down is still around. Just under a new email account and you can all put
your 2 cents in if you want to or not. Just want to keep the presence
known.

BTW... I also have offered assistance to Yer to help financially to keep
the Btech 3056 alive. Dunno what Yer would say but let give him a hand on
getting things going.

See ya guys and see you on the muse soon. God... I hope I still remember
my password. :)

BTW... Saura... if you are still here... Give me a call sweetie... We still
got that bet to do. :)

John Dutka <jdu...@news.pcnet.com> wrote in article
<50gogt$s...@pcnet1.pcnet.com>...

If you are a current player of the BattleTech 3056 MUSE at btech.netaxs.com
and have not yet done so, please take the survey at:

http://pcnet.com/~jdutka/myform1.html

NOTE - CC as the mid listed factions? Heheh....

Faction: 24 * FWL 21 * FC 20 * CS
16 * KH 14 * DC 13 * ADMIN
13 * WD 11 * SIC 10 * NEWBIE (CHF)
9 * CC 9 * CSV 8 * CJF
7 * 12VR 7 * CGB 7 * CSJ
7 * FRR 7 * NWH 6 * WOB
5 * CW 4 * CNC 4 * WR
3 * SI 2 * BT 2 * GDL
2 * SCB 1 * 21CL 1 * RETIRED ADMIN

Interesting part here considering that it been away for a while. :)
Glad that part on the Coder Grade is good...

Director Grade: 35 * Poor Coder Grade: 13 * Poor
91 * Fair 49 * Fair
95 * Good 119 * Good
11 * Excellent 55 * Excellent
4 * Don't Know 0 * Don't Know

Combat Group Grade: 42 * Poor Econ Group Grade: 45 * Poor
60 * Fair 73 * Fair
92 * Good 87 * Good
41 * Excellent 24 * Excellent
1 * Don't Know 7 * Don't Know

Theme Group Grade: 61 * Poor RP Group Grade: 89 * Poor
73 * Fair 69 * Fair
71 * Good 50 * Good
30 * Excellent 25 * Excellent
1 * Don't Know 2 * Don't Know

Sure... Blame it on me for having 16 griping that it is poor. Email me and
keep a list on the records when it goes up again. :)

Construction 16 * Poor CHF Academy Grade: 66 * Poor
Group Grade: 20 * Fair 63 * Fair
47 * Good 52 * Good
33 * Excellent 44 * Excellent
3 * Don't Know 11 * Don't Know

Favorite Part of Game: 144 * Combat 92 * RP

Intersesting that I am tied to Walker_Boh for the best Admin here... :)

Best Admin: 22 * Chagrin 14 * Economy_Manager
12 * Char_Manager 12 * Dave
8 * Abaddon 8 * Saura
6 * Constr_Manager 6 * Walker_Boh
4 * DrBob 4 * Sage
3 * Albert_Einstein 3 * Theme_Manager (Ryan)
2 * Andrew_Martin 2 * Charlie
2 * Dixie 2 * JohnD
2 * Kuryakin 2 * Morpheus
2 * Narc

Glad that I do not see my name down below. :)

Dunno why my name is on here... But it is intersting that I am not on the
top though. :) Still trying to get out of that worst player list but who
cares... At least I gain some fame. :)

Worst Player: 7 * Tianna_Blackhawk 6 * Doo
4 * Elik_Spearman 3 * Jaime_Wolf (old
Johnny_Clavell)
3 * Moro_Hanamura 3 * Silvertip
3 * Siona_Atreides 3 * Skylar
2 * Babyface_Duncer 2 * Balif
2 * Cross_Blackhawk 2 * Morgan_H-Davion
2 * Pith/Cargan/CAKE 2 * Lazarus_Long
2 * Nimrod_Stolkas 2 * William_MacLeod

Director Comment: 66 * Admins incompetent and/or many do

Interesting to see those comments here for the Construction Group. :)