Question about the final hand in Kung Fu Mahjong 3

patho

Mar 26, 2012, 2:37:20 AM3/26/12
So, the other night I was re-watching Kung Fu Mahjong 3: The Final
Duel(not sure why, it wasn't really that good the first time around)
and when the hero wins that last hand he lists off what that hand is
composed of. I think I understood most of it, but there is one part he
added which I don't know what it means or how it is scored. The thing
he says is something called "富贵荣华" (fu guai wing wah) as part of his
hand and I was wondering if someone here knows what that means or can
explain it to me. Thanks.

--Patrick

tsloper

Mar 28, 2012, 11:36:34 AM3/28/12
Hi Patrick,
It translates as Great wealth. What's the hand look like? Is it pure,
All Winds...?

patho

Mar 28, 2012, 4:50:08 PM3/28/12
Hi Tom. Long time.

Yeah, well I know it's literal meaning, but as far as the hand goes I
found a clip of the final scene of the movie on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oulOueU-Rk
The whole clip is about 10 minutes long, but for the hand I'm
inquiring about it is in between the 6 and 7 minute mark of the clip.

tsloper

Mar 28, 2012, 10:48:08 PM3/28/12
On Mar 28, 1:50 pm, patho <patrick...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 28, 8:36 am, tsloper <toms...@sloperama.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Patrick,
> > It translates as Great wealth. What's the hand look like? Is it pure,
> > All Winds...?
>
> Hi Tom. Long time.
>
> Yeah, well I know it's literal meaning, but as far as the hand goes I
> found a clip of the final scene of the movie on YouTube.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oulOueU-Rk
> The whole clip is about 10 minutes long, but for the hand I'm
> inquiring about it is in between the 6 and 7 minute mark of the clip.

As I suspected, it's Big Four Winds. They must be playing Taiwanese
style, because in addition to Big Four Winds, there's also a terminal
pung and a pair of dragons.
After the camera pans over the tiles, the player recites a long list,
which I assume is the list of fan that the hand scores. If your "富贵荣
华" (fu guai wing wah) "Great Wealth" is just one thing in the list,
then surely it's what he calls Big Four Winds. But if it comes at the
end of the list, then perhaps it means "max score."

Cofa Tsui

Apr 5, 2012, 3:33:04 AM4/5/12
(Hello Group - Long time no see...)

The long list of score elements of the winning hand literally reads:
自摸 坎坎胡 大四喜 混一色 对对胡 花幺九 庄连27拉27 花上自摸 富贵荣华

The English equivalence of the elements is:
Self Make, All Hidden Pungs, Big Four Winds, All Pungs, Mixed Unios,
"On the 27th consecutive win", "Win on Replacing Flower", "Wealth and
Glory". (Elements in quotes are not normally seen outside Taiwanese
Mahjong.)

And the hand is worth a massive 288 fans!

I am not a "mahjong expert" but from my full understanding of the
language of the movie and a little bit knowledge of Taiwanese Mahjong,
my answer is that "富贵荣华" (fu guai wing wah) or "Wealth and Glory" is
in fact NOT a score element. It is merely a feeling of self-
satisfaction or a sense of grateful of the character for the luck and
fortunate that has come to him. Something like "How fortunate I am to
win such a big hand upon replacing a Flower and I feel very grateful
about it!" (Comments from those who understand Taiwanese Mahjong well
are very welcome.)

Cofa Tsui
ListB.net/cofa
4/4/2012

cofa...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2012, 8:36:31 PM4/5/12
> (Hello Group - Long time no see...)
>
> The long list of score elements of the winning hand literally reads:
> 自摸 坎坎胡 大四喜 混一色 对对胡 花幺九 庄连27拉27 花上自摸 富贵荣华
>
> The English equivalence of the elements is:
> Self Make, All Hidden Pungs, Big Four Winds, All Pungs, Mixed Unios,
> "On the 27th consecutive win", "Win on Replacing Flower", "Wealth and
> Glory". (Elements in quotes are not normally seen outside Taiwanese
> Mahjong.)
>
> And the hand is worth a massive 288 fans!
>
> I am not a "mahjong expert" but from my full understanding of the
> language of the movie and a little bit knowledge of Taiwanese Mahjong,
> my answer is that "富贵荣华" (fu guai wing wah) or "Wealth and Glory" is
> in fact NOT a score element. It is merely a feeling of self-
> satisfaction or a sense of grateful of the character for the luck and
> fortunate that has come to him. Something like "How fortunate I am to
> win such a big hand upon replacing a Flower and I feel very grateful
> about it!" (Comments from those who understand Taiwanese Mahjong well
> are very welcome.)
>
> Cofa Tsui
> ListB.net/cofa
> 4/4/2012

This is to modify a bit of my previous post:

My friend (Eddy) has sent me his comments to my questions that I asked him via email. He grew up *in Taiwan* and *with Taiwanese Mahjong* so his authority to his answers is good enough for me.

For “On the 27th consecutive win”:

庄连27拉27: [连续胡牌26次之后, 在]連莊27次時, 莊家胡牌時, 番數增加[27]番; 如閑家胡牌時, 莊家要多付27番.
After 26 consective wins by the same player (the current Jonga), on the 27th win:
If the Jonga wins again, he’ll add 27 fans to his hand.
If other player wins, he’ll pay an extra 27 fans to the winning player.

For “Wealth and Glory”:

富贵荣华: 應是門清自摸
“Wealth and Glory” is the equivalent to “Clear Front” and “Self Make” combined.

He also added later: Frankly, we dont use this 富贵荣华 for 門清自摸. But in this case, I believe they both are the same except some people use this term as an alternative.

So I believe the above should have answered the poster’s specific question.

alex tsoul

Mar 19, 2014, 6:11:24 AM3/19/14