Cheating in mahjong: Tsumi Komi (Special Wall stacking) ?

John (Zi Rong) Low

Dec 4, 2005, 8:47:41 PM12/4/05
I was talking to some people on the internet regarding mahjong and that
if you arrange the tiles a specific way when constructing your wall,
you can start off with a better hand. Tsumi Komi are also available for
purchase in many Japanese mahjong arcade games (unrealistic).

How can this work, seeing that you don't know what the dice roll will
show up as? Or if the special part which you stacked is unfortunately
turned into the "dead wall"?

J. R. Fitch

Dec 4, 2005, 11:22:45 PM12/4/05
"John (Zi Rong) Low" wrote:
> ..if you arrange the tiles a specific way when constructing your wall,
> you can start off with a better hand. [snip]

> How can this work, seeing that you don't know what the dice roll will
> show up as? Or if the special part which you stacked is unfortunately
> turned into the "dead wall"?

Chinese refer to this as "planting rice". It's not feasible when playing
with the HKOS method of determining the Head of the Wall, but there are
versions of mahjong that use much simpler methods (and versions that
have no Dead Wall).

--
J. R. Fitch
Nine Dragons Software

John (Zi Rong) Low

Dec 4, 2005, 11:44:16 PM12/4/05
Hmm, how strange. The Japanese person said it works completely in
Japanese mahjong, but that uses a dead wall and rolling 2 dice...

I can only think of special stacking so you have a probability of
starting off with good stuff:

E.g. I am dealer in Japanese mahjong and my wall break occurs at 5 or
9. So after the 5th and 9th stack from the right, I secretly insert 4
Easts and 4 Greens like this:

XXXXXXGGXXEEXXXXX
XXXXXXGGXXEEXXXXX

But also, I can insert more stuff in case the Shimocha/Xia Jia (person
on my right)'s wall gets broken upon rolling a 2,6 or 10. For a roll of
2 or 10, I draw my last block (2 stacks) after the first stack on my
wall.
So if I insert 4 Reds this time, it looks like this:

XXXXXXGGXXEEXXRRX
XXXXXXGGXXEEXXRRX

It seems very clumsy and difficult though, and instead of you receiving
it, someone else might?!

I would love to figure out a method of Special wall stacking so that it
always works...

d_...@my-deja.com

Dec 5, 2005, 12:05:24 PM12/5/05

John (Zi Rong) Low wrote:
> I was talking to some people on the internet regarding mahjong and that
> if you arrange the tiles a specific way when constructing your wall,
> you can start off with a better hand.

The way I understand it, most of the cheating in MJ is done during
play, not when stacking the wall. I saw a TV demonstration of how
cheating can be done in MJ, such as inserting tile while pushing the
wall, or shifting tiles, or palming tiles, asking for specific tiles,
feeding your partner, and so on. Of course, you need two or more
players together to cheat, and sometimes three players will conspire
together to win money from the fourth victim.

tsloper

Dec 5, 2005, 7:40:48 PM12/5/05

d_...@my-deja.com wrote:

> The way I understand it, most of the cheating in MJ is done during
> play, not when stacking the wall. I saw a TV demonstration of how
> cheating can be done in MJ, such as inserting tile while pushing the
> wall, or shifting tiles, or palming tiles,

The local parlor (Japanese) has a strict rule against using more than
one hand. Sometimes I find it more convenient to reach with my left
(depending on wall angle, etc.) and that's OK... but if I discard with
my right at the same time, I get a warning not to use two hands.

Tom

Nath Krismaratala

Dec 5, 2005, 11:48:18 PM12/5/05
> Of course, you need two or more
> players together to cheat, and sometimes three players will conspire
> together to win money from the fourth victim.

Or, an accomplice stands behind the victim, looks over his shoulder and
signals the dangerous tiles.

Or, you use seethrough tiles with ordinary polarised glasses.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5746/mj63nh.jpg

John (Zi Rong) Low

Dec 6, 2005, 5:58:59 AM12/6/05
Nath, I am very surprised by those glasses. Are you sure they are
ordinary glasses? Because then ordinary spectacled people can see
through the tiles the whole time, knowing what to discard and when to
say "Riichi" to gain Ippatsu+Menzen Tsumo! I would love to obtain such
a set, even though it might sound very expensive and rare.

Maybe they (in Japan) should create an automatic dealing machine that
allows you to set the "random-ness " ratio of the tiles dealt out to
everyone or a specific person.
Or maybe to prevent cheating, they should create an automatic table
which shuffles and constructs the walls, but the walls are inside a
plastic shield so everyone can see it but can't touch it physically,
and to draw a tile, you have to click the "N" button, and to discard
you click A-N button + "Pon" "Chi" "Kan" "Riichi" "Ron/Tsumo" buttons,
exactly like in the strip mahjong arcade games.

Nath Krismaratala

Dec 7, 2005, 12:24:31 AM12/7/05
> Are you sure they are ordinary glasses?

Yes, ordinary in the sense they are easy to find. You need polarized
glasses. Most sun glasses are. You can even find polarized contact
lens.

Message has been deleted

John (Zi Rong) Low

Dec 7, 2005, 11:22:18 PM12/7/05
Hey, I discovered a page regarding Tsumi Komi:

http://gambler.cool.ne.jp/mahjong/ikasama.html

http://urawazamajang.syuriken.jp/tumikomi/betadumi.html

It appears that the wall stacking method that I was using is quite
similar to "Dora Bakudan" on the first website (Dora Explosion, you
start off with all 4 doras) even though it is Yakuhai which you are
starting off with. "Yakuhai Tsumi Komi" I think mines should be called.

The first stacking method on the first site is called "Genroku Tsumi
Komi", where it's tiles which you receive over time and not at the
start. It appears that all of these cheating methods are to be used by
2 or 3 people cooperating with each other, and that if the others meld
off any discards, they have to feed each other to neutralize the flow,
so they can still draw the desired tiles later on.

altinb...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2015, 4:22:58 PM4/16/15
It works but you gotta train with dices.. for example train like this: take the dice and put the number you want as the down. Then roll the dice with as much power for it to roll 1.5times. The number that you placed down the dice will cone and you can choose the deck you want from the wall you packed cheating.