1921 Ma Chiang report by U. S. Vice Consul David Berger

Paul

Jul 11, 2006, 10:35:09 PM7/11/06
In Lee Foster Hartman's book Standardized Mah Jong on page 59 is a
footnote.

A recently issued U. S. government report on "The Chinese Game of Ma
Chiang" prepared by David C. Berger, Vice Consul at Tientsin, China,
contains the following paragraph...
"At the present time in Tientsin the 'single suit' game [Cleared Hands]
is almost never played among natives or foreigners and in the Tientsin
Club the use of the 'Seasons' or 'Flowers' is tabu, whereas in the
American Club at Shaghai the one-suit game [Cleared Hands] with the
addition of 'Flowers' and 'table winds' [Prevailing Wind] is the vogue.
. . ."

Has anyone come across a full copy of this report during any of their
research? Does anyone know if Berger's or Hartman's papers have been
preserved anywhere?

cymb...@free.fr

Jul 14, 2006, 9:28:07 AM7/14/06
Yes, it would be nice to read this report.

The only thing I have found is that, yes, David C. Berger was an
American diplomat.

But, according to website "The Political Graveyard"
(http://politicalgraveyard.com/bio/bergan-berkstresser.html),
in 1921, David C. Berger was U.S. Vice-Consul in Changsha, not Tientsin
[Tianjin]. He was U.S. Consul in Tientsin in 1924-26, then in Swatow
[Shantou] in 1927-29 and in Tsingtao [Qingdao] in 1932. In 1943-44 he
was First Secretary to the US Embassy in Buenos Aires. (I think I got
this from another web source.)

Cheers,
Thierry Depaulis

lagun...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2017, 12:07:50 AM9/29/17
David C. Berger was my mother in laws father. I'm curious if anyone has gotten anymore information about him?