Announcement: BSE Version 3

SMITH M.R.O.

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

This is the first time I've posted to a new group, so apologies for any
mistakes I make. Anyway, to the task in hand:
Postings suggest that people only play games which are advertised, so
here goes. Unless something has gone horribly wrong thenVersion 3 of BSE by
Chrisopher Smith, Winner of the Acorn User Interactive Fiction Competition is
now in the if-archive.
This is the game that beat the Wedding (though I don't know why, I
prefer the Wedding any day) into second place.
Play the part of vet cum secret agent as you try to get the bottom of a dark
satanic mystery set in the Yorkshire Dales.
Battle with wandering hens.
Wonder at genetically engineered sheep.
Gasp at a puzzle which won, "best locked door", in a competition judged by
Graham Nelson himself (I think).
If you are one of the three people who e-mailed me about the buggy first
release, gasp as you see that the bugs have changed now to something
completely different.

The game is programmed in Inform, and should run on any of the miriad of
Z-Code interpreters (though Kevin Bradey's Zip2000 is the best - if you have
RISC OS).

Robert Smith

Graham Nelson

Jan 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/19/97

In article <mros2.1....@cam.ac.uk>, SMITH M.R.O.

<URL:mailto:mr...@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> This is the first time I've posted to a new group, so apologies for any
> mistakes I make. Anyway, to the task in hand:
> Postings suggest that people only play games which are advertised, so
> here goes. Unless something has gone horribly wrong thenVersion 3 of BSE by
> Chrisopher Smith, Winner of the Acorn User Interactive Fiction Competition is
> now in the if-archive.
> This is the game that beat the Wedding (though I don't know why, I
> prefer the Wedding any day) into second place.
> Play the part of vet cum secret agent as you try to get the bottom of a dark
> satanic mystery set in the Yorkshire Dales.
> Battle with wandering hens.
> Wonder at genetically engineered sheep.
> Gasp at a puzzle which won, "best locked door", in a competition judged by
> Graham Nelson himself (I think).

I did indeed judge the Acorn User competition, and BSE
was a wonderful winner of it. For anyone who hasn't given it
a try yet, hustle along to ftp.gmd.de!

The Wedding, which came second in the same contest, is also
at ftp.gmd.de, and also worth a few moments' downloading.

It was close. In fact "The Wedding" was almost the first entry I
tested, and I was convinced it was going to win for days, until
reaching "BSE", which was almost the last one I tested. I spent
a long time trying to decide between the two. ("The Wedding" is
slightly improved now compared to the version I judged, but I
expect so is "BSE", so there we are.)

--
Graham Nelson | gra...@gnelson.demon.co.uk | Oxford, United Kingdom