Re: Any SCARY games?

Message has been deleted

Chris Knight

Jan 27, 2007, 9:13:25 PM1/27/07
> I'm looking for an IF game that is scary. I mean, really, really,
> scary. Something that would make me not want to go to sleep scary.

I guess it depends on what you find "scary". Are you looking for "blood &
guts" scary, or "creepy" scary?

Two games I have recently played that are potentially scary are Anchorhead
and Shade. The Lurking Horror from Infocom also fits into the horror
genre.

--

- Chris
chris07knight -AT- gmail -DOT- com

Dayna

Jan 27, 2007, 9:24:44 PM1/27/07
I've played Anchorhead (which was good but not scary imo)....I'm
looking for creepy scary. :-)

On Jan 27, 9:13 pm, "Chris Knight"

J. J. Guest

Jan 27, 2007, 9:43:57 PM1/27/07

On 28 Jan, 02:24, "Dayna" <prit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've played Anchorhead (which was good but not scary imo)....I'm
> looking for creepy scary. :-)

I'd recommend "The Woods are Dark" by Laurence Moore (ADRIFT).
One of my favourite Adrift games.

J. J. Guest

Dayna

Jan 27, 2007, 10:19:14 PM1/27/07

On Jan 27, 9:43 pm, "J. J. Guest" <jason.gu...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd recommend "The Woods are Dark" by Laurence Moore (ADRIFT).
> One of my favourite Adrift games.
>
> J. J. Guest

Thanks...I'll check that out.

u...@mail.ru

Jan 27, 2007, 11:31:18 PM1/27/07

"Dayna" <prit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for an IF game that is scary. I mean, really, really,
> scary. Something that would make me not want to go to sleep scary.
>
> Know of any?

Well, maybe Babel by Ian Finley. While it's probably not meant to be a
horror game, it's pretty creepy at times.

Valentine

James Cunningham

Jan 27, 2007, 11:31:42 PM1/27/07
On 2007-01-27 20:22:15 -0500, "Dayna" <pri...@gmail.com> said:

> I'm looking for an IF game that is scary. I mean, really, really,
> scary. Something that would make me not want to go to sleep scary.
>
> Know of any?

Check out "All Alone" by Ian Finley. It's short and exceedingly creepy.

http://wurb.com/if/game/1247

Best,
James

Ryusui

Jan 27, 2007, 11:39:28 PM1/27/07
Try the John DeFoe cycle by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw. They're point-and-
clicks (except for "Trilby's Notes", which is more akin to the old
keyboard-driven Sierra games) instead of "IF", but they're still
nicely creepy and tense.

Go to www.fullyramblomatic.com for the whole series.

Colonel Communism

Jan 28, 2007, 12:46:42 AM1/28/07
Dayna wrote:
> I'm looking for an IF game that is scary. I mean, really, really,
> scary. Something that would make me not want to go to sleep scary.
>
> Know of any?

If you have access to the Infocom games (or are willing to just grab a
torrent of them at The Pirate Bay), then the Lurking Horror is very
scary. Admittedly, though, some of the creepiness comes from the
screams and sounds and stuff that pop out of nowhere just as some
hideous description comes up on the screen. It's a cheap scare, sure,
but it sure got me.

tjg92

Jan 28, 2007, 9:12:17 AM1/28/07

On Jan 27, 7:22 pm, "Dayna" <prit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for an IF game that is scary. I mean, really, really,
> scary. Something that would make me not want to go to sleep scary.
>
> Know of any?

Distress was not "can't go to sleep" scary but it was very creepy and
a lot of fun. I would recommend it if you want a creepy game.

Bob

Jan 28, 2007, 11:00:43 AM1/28/07

On 28 Jan., 02:22, "Dayna" <prit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for an IF game that is scary. I mean, really, really,
> scary. Something that would make me not want to go to sleep scary.
>
> Know of any?

I'd recommend "zuni doll" (I think that was the name). It fits a very
different style of horror game. I don't think it won't let you go to
sleep, but who knows. Another really great game is Theatre, but it's
not any scarier than Anchorhead.

Bob

Zimri

Jan 28, 2007, 10:35:06 PM1/28/07
"Dayna" <pri...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I'm looking for an IF game that is scary. I mean, really, really,
> scary. Something that would make me not want to go to sleep scary.
>
> Know of any?

Certain of the Sierra games had their moments; I'd single out "Quest For
Glory IV" in particular.

--
zimriel sbc dot
at global net

Steve Evans

Jan 29, 2007, 7:57:25 PM1/29/07

On Jan 28, 12:22 pm, "Dayna" <prit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for an IF game that is scary. I mean, really, really,
> scary. Something that would make me not want to go to sleep scary.
>
> Know of any?

Here's a link to a list of games that people have classed as "horror"
at IF Ratings:

http://www.carouselchain.com/if/statistics.php?
genre=9&type=genre&limit=30

--Steve