Spring Thing 2010 results

Greg Boettcher

Apr 8, 2010, 6:54:07 PM4/8/10
The results of Spring Thing 2010 are in!

The results are, nobody entered Spring Thing 2010.

Several people submitted intents to enter, but none of them submitted
a game.

This was not the result I'd hoped for, and it may partially be due to
my announcing this year's competition a little later than usual
(November rather than August). I intend to correct that for next year.
In fact...

***************************

Announcing Spring Thing 2011!

There will be a Spring Thing 2011. So if you're an author you want to
enter your game into a competition in the spring of 2011, you can do
that at the address below. If you're a player and you want to play IF
games around that time, this is the place to be.

But wait—how do I know anyone will enter Spring Thing 2011? Well,
because I just notified everybody a year in advance. With that much
advance notice, there's simply no way to fail.

This might not be an "official" announcement, but it is a promise. I
haven't created the Spring Thing 2011 web pages yet, but I'll do that
within a couple of months, and then post here with an "official"
announcement, probably by mid-summer.

Web site:
http://www.springthing.net/

Greg

George Oliver

Apr 8, 2010, 10:03:56 PM4/8/10
On 4/8/2010 3:54 PM, Greg Boettcher wrote:
> The results of Spring Thing 2010 are in!
>
> The results are, nobody entered Spring Thing 2010.
>
> Several people submitted intents to enter, but none of them submitted
> a game.

do you have any conclusions on why this year was different from others?
Just an off year (the IFComp also had an unusually low number of
entries)? The greater number of big games released independently from a
Comp last year?

And to follow on that, any ideas on how to increase the number of games?
Or is this not a main issue for you?

Greg Boettcher

Apr 8, 2010, 10:27:40 PM4/8/10
On Apr 8, 9:03 pm, George Oliver <georgeolive...@gmail.com> wrote:
> do you have any conclusions on why this year was different from others?
> Just an off year (the IFComp also had an unusually low number of
> entries)? The greater number of big games released independently from a
> Comp last year?
>
> And to follow on that, any ideas on how to increase the number of games?
> Or is this not a main issue for you?

As I said, I announced ST 2010 later than usual. I feel pretty certain
this was a factor. It may have been the main factor. I announced the
competition in November instead of August. Then in February I reminded
people again, and told them about the new prizes (again, belatedly).
After that was when most people submitted their intents to enter. But
it appears that was too late for people to start polishing off a game.
Anyway, five people sent me intents to enter, but nobody sent me a
game or an entry fee.

Something similar happened for the very first Spring Thing in 2002 --
Adam Cadre announced it at a later-than-ideal time, and only one
person entered.

There could be other factors, but that's the main obvious one I can
think of. And as I said, I'm trying to address it for next year!

Greg

Jayson Smith

Apr 9, 2010, 7:48:03 AM4/9/10
One other factor, of course, was PAX East 2010, which took up four/five days
of many IF fans' time, not to mention time spent preparing for the trip, and
in wind down mode. So that's one factor which has not been present in prior
years.
Jayson

"Greg Boettcher" <WRITET...@gregboettcher.com> wrote in message

namekuseijin

Apr 9, 2010, 3:46:28 PM4/9/10
On Apr 8, 11:03 pm, George Oliver <georgeolive...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/8/2010 3:54 PM, Greg Boettcher wrote:
>
> > The results of Spring Thing 2010 are in!
>
> > The results are, nobody entered Spring Thing 2010.
>
> > Several people submitted intents to enter, but none of them submitted
> > a game.
>
> do you have any conclusions on why this year was different from others?
> Just an off year (the IFComp also had an unusually low number of
> entries)? The greater number of big games released independently from a
> Comp last year?

the JayIsGames competition? Ok, short games rather than large,
still... a fine hefty prize was at stake! :D

K M

Apr 10, 2010, 7:30:02 PM4/10/10
Greg, thank you for organizing the comp faithfully year after year.

-Kate