IF recommended for children

7 views
Skip to first unread message

Urbatain

unread,
Dec 22, 2006, 7:29:07 AM12/22/06
to
Now, in the weekends I work as porter in a 5 stars hotel in the Costa
del Sol, so when I see a proper customer (maybe a child that likes a
lot computers or books, or old people that spend their new free time
with technologies), I promise them a "gift" for their computer, and I
explain them that is somewhat like books but interactive ones :) Is a
somewhat crusade of mine for useless promotion of IF :)

So I has a compilation of works for the old ones made with: Curses,
Dreamhold, Floatpoint, Metamorphoses, Photopia and Spider and Web. Plus
the PDF Intro to IF by Emily.

But I have no idea at all of what works give for a children from 6 to
14, maybe. Maybe Winter wonderland, The Tales of the Swordman... and
what more?

Of course I want works visually stunning, like new blorberzed with I7,
Hugo games, glulx games, etc.

So until DavidC make some cash with that kind of IF for children, what
works could you recommend me?
And of course, new ideas for a senior user over 60 of age is wellcome.

Thanks!

Urbatain.

Emily Boegheim

unread,
Dec 22, 2006, 9:01:00 AM12/22/06
to

Urbatain wrote:
> But I have no idea at all of what works give for a children from 6 to
> 14, maybe. Maybe Winter wonderland, The Tales of the Swordman... and
> what more?

A Bear's Night Out?

Arrival is very cool (it has multimedia as well as the rest), and I
expect most kids would enjoy the story and jokes, but the puzzles are
pretty unfair at times. Still, it has a good hint system.

That's all I can come up with off the top of my head. But I've an idea
(having had a look at the children's works on Baf's once) that there
isn't much IF for kids about.

Emily Short

unread,
Dec 22, 2006, 11:09:20 AM12/22/06
to

Maybe "Mother Loose" and "Firebird", though I haven't tried Mother
Loose and don't know whether it's difficult. I do recall that Firebird
has a number of alternate solutions to puzzles, which might make it
easier for young players.

Arnel Legaspi

unread,
Dec 22, 2006, 11:25:08 AM12/22/06
to

"Wearing The Claw", "Winter Wonderland", "Journey from an Islet" should
be ok for kids.

That's off the top of my head (that's some of the games I've played
anyway).

--Arnel

u...@mail.ru

unread,
Dec 22, 2006, 5:31:35 PM12/22/06
to

> Urbatain wrote:
> > Now, in the weekends I work as porter in a 5 stars hotel in the Costa
> > del Sol, so when I see a proper customer (maybe a child that likes a
> > lot computers or books, or old people that spend their new free time
> > with technologies), I promise them a "gift" for their computer, and I
> > explain them that is somewhat like books but interactive ones :) Is a
> > somewhat crusade of mine for useless promotion of IF :)
> >
> > So I has a compilation of works for the old ones made with: Curses,
> > Dreamhold, Floatpoint, Metamorphoses, Photopia and Spider and Web. Plus
> > the PDF Intro to IF by Emily.
> >
> > But I have no idea at all of what works give for a children from 6 to
> > 14, maybe. Maybe Winter wonderland, The Tales of the Swordman... and
> > what more?
> >
> > Of course I want works visually stunning, like new blorberzed with I7,
> > Hugo games, glulx games, etc.
> >
> > So until DavidC make some cash with that kind of IF for children, what
> > works could you recommend me?
> > And of course, new ideas for a senior user over 60 of age is wellcome.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Urbatain.

Well, probably Uncle Zebulon's Will, and Toonesia (although both are
pretty short).

The Unnkulian series might be fun, although they are definitely better
suited for "to 14" than "from 6" children.

Valentine

tjg92

unread,
Dec 23, 2006, 3:19:10 AM12/23/06
to

Earth and Sky seems like a good one (I haven't played the sequels yet).

Bob

unread,
Dec 23, 2006, 4:02:24 AM12/23/06
to

Urbatain wrote:
> So I has a compilation of works for the old ones made with: Curses ...

I'd recommend to NEVER recommand Curses to any newcomer. I guess it's
great and everything, but that game just is too damn hard for but the
toughest player. I bet there is not a single person in the universe
that didn't have to ask for hints.

Anchorhead on the other hand is not only great, but also friendly to
newbies (At least I guess. It's not that easy taking that viewpoint
after 20 years of experience with text adventures).

Bob

Brendan Desilets

unread,
Dec 23, 2006, 8:23:55 AM12/23/06
to
Hi, All,

For some additional IF works that work well with kids, you might try
http://if1.home.comcast.net/top_fifty.htm

Peace,
Brendan Desilets
"Teaching and Learning With Interactive Fiction"
http://if1.home.comcast.net/

Brass

unread,
Dec 23, 2006, 8:33:51 AM12/23/06
to
"Urbatain"

> Now, in the weekends I work as porter in a 5 stars hotel in the Costa
> del Sol, so when I see a proper customer (maybe a child that likes a
> lot computers or books, or old people that spend their new free time
> with technologies), I promise them a "gift" for their computer, and I
> explain them that is somewhat like books but interactive ones :) Is a
> somewhat crusade of mine for useless promotion of IF :)
>
> So I has a compilation of works for the old ones made with: Curses,
> Dreamhold, Floatpoint, Metamorphoses, Photopia and Spider and Web. Plus
> the PDF Intro to IF by Emily.
>
> But I have no idea at all of what works give for a children from 6 to
> 14, maybe. Maybe Winter wonderland, The Tales of the Swordman... and
> what more?

_Stiffy Makane: The Undiscovered Country_ not only features a number of
talking animals -- such as Space Moose, Hot Chick and Bionic Badger -- but
is highly educational to boot.


carolyn...@yahoo.com

unread,
Dec 23, 2006, 12:07:37 PM12/23/06
to
As Brass efficiently demonstrates, is probably not a good idea to
recommend anything to anyone that you have not personally played
yourself....

Dot Net Developer

unread,
Dec 23, 2006, 1:58:49 PM12/23/06
to

Please note that _Anchorhead_ is no good for kids as it has adult
themes in it, and also curse/swear words in it, like the "eff word"

-dnw.

Andrew Plotkin

unread,
Dec 23, 2006, 3:58:36 PM12/23/06
to
Here, Bob <soen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Urbatain wrote:
> > So I has a compilation of works for the old ones made with: Curses ...
>
> I'd recommend to NEVER recommand Curses to any newcomer. I guess it's
> great and everything, but that game just is too damn hard for but the
> toughest player. I bet there is not a single person in the universe
> that didn't have to ask for hints.

But Curses *comes* with hints, so this is not necessarily an obstacle.
It depends what the player's attitude towards hints is.

--Z

--
"And Aholibamah bare Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah: these were the borogoves..."
*
If the Bush administration hasn't subjected you to searches without a warrant,
it's for one reason: they don't feel like it. Not because you're an American.

Neil Cerutti

unread,
Dec 23, 2006, 5:53:42 PM12/23/06
to
On 2006-12-23, Andrew Plotkin <erky...@eblong.com> wrote:
> Here, Bob <soen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Urbatain wrote:
>> > So I has a compilation of works for the old ones made with:
>> > Curses ...
>>
>> I'd recommend to NEVER recommand Curses to any newcomer. I
>> guess it's great and everything, but that game just is too
>> damn hard for but the toughest player. I bet there is not a
>> single person in the universe that didn't have to ask for
>> hints.
>
> But Curses *comes* with hints, so this is not necessarily an
> obstacle. It depends what the player's attitude towards hints
> is.

Holy Cow! I didn't know that. I'll have to try that game again
for the third time. The last time I quit was because I thought I
was locked out of victory from not knowing French.

--
Neil Cerutti

Andrew Plotkin

unread,
Dec 23, 2006, 6:04:04 PM12/23/06
to

The hints are an in-game mechanism (not a "hint" command), and I don't
remember how complete they are.

--Z

--
"And Aholibamah bare Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah: these were the borogoves..."
*
If the Bush administration hasn't subjected you to searches without a warrant,

it's for one reason: they don't feel like it. Not because you're innocent.

John W. Kennedy

unread,
Dec 23, 2006, 6:41:51 PM12/23/06
to
Andrew Plotkin wrote:
> Here, Neil Cerutti <hor...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On 2006-12-23, Andrew Plotkin <erky...@eblong.com> wrote:
>>> Here, Bob <soen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>> Urbatain wrote:
>>>>> So I has a compilation of works for the old ones made with:
>>>>> Curses ...
>>>> I'd recommend to NEVER recommand Curses to any newcomer. I
>>>> guess it's great and everything, but that game just is too
>>>> damn hard for but the toughest player. I bet there is not a
>>>> single person in the universe that didn't have to ask for
>>>> hints.
>>> But Curses *comes* with hints, so this is not necessarily an
>>> obstacle. It depends what the player's attitude towards hints
>>> is.
>> Holy Cow! I didn't know that. I'll have to try that game again
>> for the third time. The last time I quit was because I thought I
>> was locked out of victory from not knowing French.
>
> The hints are an in-game mechanism (not a "hint" command), and I don't
> remember how complete they are.

They're incomplete and cryptic, but useful.

There's a complete hit set from UHS.

--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres
Nourished the land on a fallacy of rational virtue."
-- Charles Williams. "Taliessin through Logres: Prelude"

Bob

unread,
Dec 24, 2006, 2:40:03 AM12/24/06
to

Andrew Plotkin wrote:
> > > But Curses *comes* with hints, so this is not necessarily an
> > > obstacle. It depends what the player's attitude towards hints
> > > is.

As far as I remember, I didn't get more than 80somesthing points even
with the so-called hints some kind of demon (?) gave me. And I guess
every newcomer would like to have a sense of achievement when playing a
game. Curses must be frustrating for any newcomer.

Bob

Adam Thornton

unread,
Dec 24, 2006, 11:01:24 AM12/24/06
to
In article <3fajh.27253$E02....@newsb.telia.net>,

Brass <br...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>"Urbatain"
>> Now, in the weekends I work as porter in a 5 stars hotel in the Costa
>> del Sol, so when I see a proper customer (maybe a child that likes a
>> lot computers or books, or old people that spend their new free time
>> with technologies), I promise them a "gift" for their computer, and I
>> explain them that is somewhat like books but interactive ones :) Is a
>> somewhat crusade of mine for useless promotion of IF :)
>
>_Stiffy Makane: The Undiscovered Country_ not only features a number of
>talking animals -- such as Space Moose, Hot Chick and Bionic Badger -- but
>is highly educational to boot.

Brass is a very, very bad man. Or possibly woman. But in any case,
very, very bad. I believe that exposing children to Stiffy Makane is a
felony in most jurisdictions.

Adam

P.S. It's Billy the Bionic Badger. And I don't think Hot Chick
actually counts as an animal, although Beevie might.

Autymn D. C.

unread,
Dec 25, 2006, 9:57:59 AM12/25/06
to
Urbatain wrote:
> But I have no idea at all of what works give for a children from 6 to
> 14, maybe. Maybe Winter wonderland, The Tales of the Swordman... and
> what more?
>
> Of course I want works visually stunning, like new blorberzed with I7,
> Hugo games, glulx games, etc.

> So until DavidC make some cash with that kind of IF for children, what
> works could you recommend me?
> And of course, new ideas for a senior user over 60 of age is wellcome.

Fire Witch, Save Princeton, Perdition's Flames

for elders, a much more frustrant game than curses: GC: A Thrashing
Parity Bit of the Mind

-Aut

Urbatain

unread,
Dec 26, 2006, 7:05:47 AM12/26/06
to

Brass ha escrito:

>
> _Stiffy Makane: The Undiscovered Country_ not only features a number of
> talking animals -- such as Space Moose, Hot Chick and Bionic Badger -- but
> is highly educational to boot.

This one has a pornographic tag in the baf guide, maybe a bug?

Urbatain

unread,
Dec 26, 2006, 7:18:37 AM12/26/06
to
Thanks a lot, I have now a quite good list of games.

But Journey from an islet... I can't find the directory in the if
archive inside the TADS one, and in the BAFs guide, all images and
resources seems lost or broken, I will report to Carl.

See you.

Urbatain.

Urbatain

unread,
Dec 26, 2006, 7:27:56 AM12/26/06
to

Urbatain ha escrito:

learning rule: Trust more in the Baf guide than in whatever person.

Adam Thornton

unread,
Dec 26, 2006, 7:17:02 PM12/26/06
to
In article <1167134747.5...@79g2000cws.googlegroups.com>,

Urbatain <urba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>This one has a pornographic tag in the baf guide, maybe a bug?

NOT A BUG.

Smooches,
The Author


fauger

unread,
Dec 27, 2006, 7:25:08 AM12/27/06
to

Brass

unread,
Dec 27, 2006, 3:03:41 PM12/27/06
to
> I believe that exposing children to Stiffy Makane is a felony in most
> jurisdictions.

Are you from the Midwest?

Adam Thornton

unread,
Dec 27, 2006, 4:36:21 PM12/27/06
to
In article <xkAkh.27510$E02....@newsb.telia.net>,

From, no. Resident in, yes.

Adam

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages