favorite responses in games

Adam Myrow

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00
I was just thinking about some of the funny responses that I have
encountered in IF games. Infocom usually had the best ones. Here are
just a few that I was wondering if anybody was aware of. In later
versions of Zork I, eating the clove of garlic gets you "what the heck!
You won't make friends this way, but nobody around here is too friendly
anyhow. Gulp!" Earlier versions just said that it really hit the spot
just like the lunch. Beyond Zork has a few funny responses. For example,
try calling the people of Froon munchkins some time. E.G. "examine
munchkin." Another good one is trying to swim in Spellbreaker in either
the ruins room or the oubliette. Besides Infocom games, some modern Inform
games have funny responses. In Photopia, when you are Wendy (the little
girl) lying in bed, do a look to get the room description, then try to
examine the teddy bear that is mentioned. In Spiritwrack, try to open the
detached door. Or, for an amusing bug, try "enter door" when holding the
detached door. In The Edifice, try typing "jump" on level three while
holding the piece of fruit. Or, try going in a direction that would send
you off a cliff. Does anybody else have favorite responses they've seen
in IF games?

Josh Westbury

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
Does anybody else have favorite responses they've seen
> in IF games?

A couple spring to mind (spoilers from Sphinx Adv. and Jigsaw)
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Sphinx Adv:
>kill dragon
With what? With your bare hands?
>yes
Congratulations! You just killed a dragon with your bare hands!
(well, it amused me at the time)

Jigsaw:
>look under bench (IIRC)
You've played this game before!

(also reminds me of Welcome to this manual! in Frontier)

Josh
Any opinions expressed in this e-mail are not solely the property of the
author; they are in fact representative of the human race as a whole.
Any
offence caused is intentional.

Joe Mason

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
In article <39E4CA...@mds.qmw.ac.uk>, Josh Westbury wrote:
>Does anybody else have favorite responses they've seen
>> in IF games?

Favourite Zork 1 transcript (this was my father playing):

>CLIMB DOWN CHIMNEY
Only Santa Claus climbs down chimnies!

>I AM SANTA CLAUS
I don't know the word "am".

Joe

Aquarius

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
Josh Westbury spoo'd forth:

> Does anybody else have favorite responses they've seen
>> in IF games?
>
> A couple spring to mind (spoilers from Sphinx Adv. and Jigsaw)
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> Sphinx Adv:
>>kill dragon
> With what? With your bare hands?
>>yes
> Congratulations! You just killed a dragon with your bare hands!
> (well, it amused me at the time)

Sphinx Adventure also had "The camel says 'Two humps are better than
one.'" if you tried HELP while the camel was around, which is a fabulous
line :)

Aq.

--
"Out of the frying pan and into the very same, identical frying-pan.
Smegging great."

BrenBarn

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
An old spaceship-battle game (whose name I can't recall) from one of Dave
Ahl's books had a great response. If you tried to immediately fire your ship's
biggest weapons, it responded, "Let's not crack under pressure."
--BrenBarn (Bren...@aol.com)
(Name in header has spam-blocker, use the address above instead.)

"Do not follow where the path may lead;
go, instead, where there is no path, and leave a trail."
--Author Unknown

Billy Harris

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
From toonesia:

The Tazmanian Devil is here, glaring furiously (and hungrily) at you
from within the bars of a metal cage.

>x devil
The Tazmanian Devil is a real animal, not a copyright of a certain
large corporation with lots of legal muscle. I can therefore mention it
by name in this game. Unfortunately, if I were to describe a real-life
Tazmanian Devil, you'd only be disappointed--they don't look like much.
So, I won't describe the slavering beast before you. And if you assume
that it has a boxy body attached to short thin legs, two large maniacal
eyes set above a wide, drooling, sharp-fanged mouth, and brown fur all
over, then YOU'RE violating copyright, not me.

Carl Muckenhoupt

Oct 11, 2000, 8:50:43 PM10/11/00
I'll chime in with a perennial favorite: In Spellbreaker, there's a
bit where you're falling from a great height, the wind whipping around
you and suchlike.

>E (or any other direction)

Down seems more likely.

Steven Howard

Oct 11, 2000, 10:14:25 PM10/11/00
In Bureaucracy, while on hold with the bank, listening to the muzak:

"The bank plays you a song by Andrew Lloyd Weber that reminds you of
another song, but you can't think what."

========
Steven Howard
mrb...@earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~mrblore

Trapped In OC

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00
Some favorites I remeber are

Typing Zork in planetfall, and the response is Gezundhite...

Typing Phone Home in the trailor in BALLYHOO and getting the response about ET
leaving the circus

Typing Fuck in Bureaucracy and getting something like Watch your fucking
language you fucking fuck.

Typing Burn tree with torch in Zork 3 and getting the response about Smokey The
Bear putting out the fire, then you.

Last one, Typing Guards shoot guns, after ordering the guards to drop them in
Hitchhiker's guide.

scott

Stuart Feldhamer

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00
My personal favorite has always been when (in which game was this? Zork?)
you would type something along the lines of "Say 'Hello'", and the game
would respond with "Talking to yourself is a sign of impending mental
collapse." : )

Stuart

Matt Ackeret

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00
In article <EIlF5.25$Yw.547@client>,

I think it's:

Speaking to oneself is a sign of impending mental collapse.

(or possibly "Talking").
--
mat...@area.com

Adam Myrow

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00
Two good ones from the Witness I forgot about are:
>wait until murter
It has been a long week, hasn't it?
>shoot clock
Sure, you probably need to sharpen your eye, but a grandfather clock is a
lousy target.
Actually, you get the same response if you try to shoot any inanimate
object with the name of the object in place of "grandfather clock."

Adam Myrow
http://www.eskimo.com/~myrow/

David J. Greenberger

Oct 12, 2000, 8:03:37 PM10/12/00
"You can't do that with that."

I don't remember which game that was, but it was in the early Infocom
days -- maybe Zork III? I'm afraid I haven't been able to reproduce it,
so my memory may be failing me. Confirmation would be much appreciated.
--
David J. Greenberger
Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Mikko P Vuorinen

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
From Legend of the Sword:

>EXAMINE PENIS
When fully erect, your didgery-doo extends to an amazing two
inches. (WOW!)

--
)))) (((( + Mikko Vuorinen + mvuo...@cc.helsinki.fi
)) OO `oo'((( + Dilbon@IRC&ifMUD + http://www.helsinki.fi/~mvuorine/

Adam Myrow

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
Well, if you're going to mention toonesia, my personal favorite response
is
>climb tower
What, do you think rapunzle is at the top? This is a
cartoon, not a fairy tale.

I had forgotten about that little game. To whoever was talking about the
preserved in the Inform port of that game. Look for zdungeon.z5 in the
games/zcode directory at the if-archive. That seems to be a fairly
faithful port down to the screwy map and "you can't go that way" messages
being replaced with "there is a wall there."

Adam Myrow
http://www.eskimo.com/~myrow/

Stephen Rogers

Oct 15, 2000, 12:14:54 AM10/15/00

Heh. I didn't really believe it at first, but I downloaded it and got
that response after cussing out WinFrotz. It's for real, people.

Adam J. Thornton

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00
In article <8s2eqr$lo$1...@drmanhattan.kryogenix.org>,

Aquarius <aqua...@kryogenix.org> wrote:
>Sphinx Adventure also had "The camel says 'Two humps are better than
>one.'" if you tried HELP while the camel was around, which is a fabulous
>line :)

_Dangerous Curves_:

> ASK LIBRARIAN FOR DATE

"Is your arm broken? Get it yourself."

Adam
--
ad...@princeton.edu
"My eyes say their prayers to her / Sailors ring her bell / Like a moth

ical...@my-deja.com

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00
In article <8scnob$fnr$2...@cnn.Princeton.EDU>,

ad...@princeton.edu (Adam J. Thornton) wrote:
> In article <8s2eqr$lo$1...@drmanhattan.kryogenix.org>,
> Aquarius <aqua...@kryogenix.org> wrote:

> >Sphinx Adventure also had "The camel says 'Two humps are better than
> >one.'" if you tried HELP while the camel was around, which is a
> fabulous line :)
>
> _Dangerous Curves_:
>
> > ASK LIBRARIAN FOR DATE
>
> "Is your arm broken? Get it yourself."

So much for clever default responses. :)

irene

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Matthew T. Russotto

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00
}
}> >Sphinx Adventure also had "The camel says 'Two humps are better than
}> >one.'" if you tried HELP while the camel was around, which is a
}> fabulous line :)
}>
}> _Dangerous Curves_:
}>
}> > ASK LIBRARIAN FOR DATE
}>
}> "Is your arm broken? Get it yourself."
}
}So much for clever default responses. :)

If you wanted to be irritating, you could have put a bowl of fruits of
the palm somewhere in the room (but out of reach to the player).

--
Matthew T. Russotto russ...@pond.com
of justice is no virtue."

Torbjörn Andersson

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00
I guess it's not surprising that the two first that sprang to my mind
are both from Infocom games. First, Beyond Zork:

>WEAR HORSESHOE
No.

The second is from Enchanter:

>EXAMINE WALL
The wall is stained and noisome.

>LISTEN TO WALL
That's noisome, not noisy!

(This was the first time I ever saw or heard the word "noisome", so I
truly did think it had something to do with noise.)

Torbjörn Andersson

Joona I Palaste

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00
Jinxter has some pretty funny responses. Some of my favourites are:

> yes
Are you talking to yourself again?
> yes
Just checking.
> yes
Are you talking to yourself again?
> no
Well it sounded like it.

> play with dragon
The dragon emits a colossal blast of flame, burning you to a crisp.
*** YOU HAVE DIED ***
Actually, nothing of that sort happens, it's just the sort of dragon
game you like to play.

> look book
The book is titled "Sheep through history".
> read book
You begin to read the book, but soon fall asheep, waking up later,
feeling rather sheepish.

(in the village pub)
Well, if walking towards the bar seems like your idea of fun, I won't
stop you. The bar, however, does.

Examining the door in the clockmaker's shop gave a rather funny
description, but I don't remember it.

All of the above are paraphrases from memory, so don't flame me if I
got some details wrong.

--
/-- Joona Palaste (pal...@cc.helsinki.fi) ---------------------------\
| Kingpriest of "The Flying Lemon Tree" G++ FR FW+ M- #80 D+ ADA N+++ |

"Hasta la Vista, Abie!"
- Bart Simpson

Trapped In OC

Oct 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/18/00

Joona I Palaste

Oct 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/18/00
Trapped In OC <trapp...@aol.com> scribbled the following:
: Typing Fuck in Bureaucracy and getting something like Watch your fucking
: language you fucking fuck.

Sierra's Conquest of Camelot:
> FUCK MERLIN
"My darling boy, I never knew you cared."

--
/-- Joona Palaste (pal...@cc.helsinki.fi) ---------------------------\
| Kingpriest of "The Flying Lemon Tree" G++ FR FW+ M- #80 D+ ADA N+++ |

"'So called' means: 'There is a long explanation for this, but I have no
time to explain it here.'"
- JIPsoft

Peter Ciccolo

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00

Adam Myrow wrote:

> I was just thinking about some of the funny responses that I have
> encountered in IF games. Infocom usually had the best ones.

> Does anybody else have favorite responses they've seen

> in IF games?

This may not count, as it's actually an Inform library response:
'Mild' swearing, like darn, etc. gets the response "Quite." For
some reason, this has always struck me as such a
(stereotypical, I know) British response. I can practically
see the parser as a stock butler.

Brown_Recluse

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
In article <39F0C5A4...@attglobal.net>, Peter Ciccolo
<pci...@attglobal.net> wrote:

In a couple of games, I've seen "I don't have prehensile eyes."
dictionary as a ten-year old. 20 yrs later I've still never seen
the word outside the context of describing certain monkeys' tails.

Another favorite is from Leather Goddesses: PUT TRAY IN
T-REMOVER. It looks like Ray Whats-his-name from fourth grade.

Matthew T. Russotto

Oct 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/21/00
In article <39F0C5A4...@attglobal.net>,
Peter Ciccolo <pci...@attglobal.net> wrote:
}
}This may not count, as it's actually an Inform library response:
}'Mild' swearing, like darn, etc. gets the response "Quite." For
} some reason, this has always struck me as such a
}(stereotypical, I know) British response. I can practically
}see the parser as a stock butler.

Or perhaps as Robin Masters?

David Thornley

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00
In article <201020001904269563%brownrecluse@bite_me.com>,

Brown_Recluse <brownrecluse@bite_me.com> wrote:

>Another favorite is from Leather Goddesses: PUT TRAY IN
>T-REMOVER. It looks like Ray Whats-his-name from fourth grade.

The rabbit's another one to put in there for laughs.

I really wanted there to be something special about the "black sain"
or whatever that was too. Instead, it was just another bland item.
"You see nothing unusual about the black sain."

da...@thornley.net | If you don't, flee.

J.D. Berry

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00
In article <mRYI5.3162$FU3.7...@ptah.visi.com>,

thor...@visi.com (David Thornley) wrote:
> In article <201020001904269563%brownrecluse@bite_me.com>,
> Brown_Recluse <brownrecluse@bite_me.com> wrote:
> >
> >Another favorite is from Leather Goddesses: PUT TRAY IN
> >T-REMOVER. It looks like Ray Whats-his-name from fourth grade.
>

> I really wanted there to be something special about the "black sain"
> or whatever that was too. Instead, it was just another bland item.
> "You see nothing unusual about the black sain."

They had a clever little bit about Spahn and Sain ready to go for that
baby. But still reeling from the criticism on their baseball puzzle in
Zork part the deux, they wisely left it out.

#> pray for rain

You seem to be missing Warren Spahn.

#> say hey
(to the Giant)

This is the American League! (Besides, I-F players don't like Mays)

#> put the Bambino in the T-remover

You'll ruh the day you do that.

... and this kind of meandering post is what happens to Comp authors
who get (almost) no feedback. ;-)

Jim
"Mister October"
Berry

"But the Comp results are tallied in November!"

"Exactly."

A.J. Franzman

Oct 24, 2000, 12:25:02 AM10/24/00
>}This may not count, as it's actually an Inform library response:
>}'Mild' swearing, like darn, etc. gets the response "Quite." For
>} some reason, this has always struck me as such a
>}(stereotypical, I know) British response. I can practically
>}see the parser as a stock butler.
>
>Or perhaps as Robin Masters?

Don't you mean Jonathan Q. Higgins? Or WAS he Robin Masters? I remember the
running gag about Magnum and Higgins going back and forth about it, and one
episode in which Robin (supposedly) actually came to the estate for Magnum to
save from being murdered, but was it ever definitively settled that Higgins was
or was not Mr. Masters?

Alan "A.J." Franzman

My real e-mail address does not compute.

A.J. Franzman

Oct 24, 2000, 12:37:09 AM10/24/00
> I really wanted there to be something special about the "black sain"
> or whatever that was too. Instead, it was just another bland item.
> "You see nothing unusual about the black sain."

>WHAT IS SAIN?
Beats me.

I tried every obvious item just to see the game's response, including the
cotton balls. Fortunately, the imps thought of that one too and prevented it's
working.

For those of you unfamiliar with the slang of the American south, "coon" is a
synonym for a certain racial epithet starting with "n".

Sean T Barrett

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
J.D. Berry <jdb...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>... and this kind of meandering post is what happens to Comp authors
>who get (almost) no feedback. ;-)

If there were a listing of games with contact addresses
so I didn't have to open up games (or look for readmes
in the game directories) I'd probably be more likely to
go in little bursts of sending out comments to 5 or 6
authors at a time, but the process as it stands is too
inconvenient for me to ever feel sufficiently motivated.
(This is clearly *my* fault, but since email feedback
is optional I think it might be worth doing something
to address my laziness, assuming anyone else agrees with
me.)

SeanB

Gunther Schmidl

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
> For those of you unfamiliar with the slang of the American south, "coon"
is a
> synonym for a certain racial epithet starting with "n".

While we're speaking of those, it took me years and years to be able to find
someone to tell me what the other meaning of "Let's call a spade a spade"
(from Curses) was.

Then I read one of Harlan Ellison's stories that presented me with about 25
different synonyms for that certain racial epithet. I still can't make out
where some of these come from, but I don't think I really want to know
either.

You almost have to admire the ingenuity of these xenophobic freaks. [*]

Almost.

-- Gunther

[*] by that I do NOT mean Ellison.

Jake Wildstrom

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
In article <20001024003709...@ng-cc1.aol.com>,

A.J. Franzman <afra...@aol.compute.com> wrote:
>For those of you unfamiliar with the slang of the American south, "coon" is a
>synonym for a certain racial epithet starting with "n".

Well, it's also short for "racoon". I guess it really depends on context and
geography.

Wile we're at it, I _stil_ don't get what's so disturbing about the line
"let's call a spade a spade". Enlightenment please? Is "spade" also a racial
epithet? I've never heard it.

+--First Church of Briantology--Order of the Holy Quaternion--+
| A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into |
| theorems. -Paul Erdos |
| Jake Wildstrom |

J.D. Berry

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
In article <G2xK9...@world.std.com>,

buz...@world.std.com (Sean T Barrett) wrote:

> If there were a listing of games with contact addresses
> so I didn't have to open up games (or look for readmes
> in the game directories) I'd probably be more likely to
> go in little bursts of sending out comments to 5 or 6
> authors at a time, but the process as it stands is too
> inconvenient for me to ever feel sufficiently motivated.
> (This is clearly *my* fault, but since email feedback
> is optional I think it might be worth doing something
> to address my laziness, assuming anyone else agrees with
> me.)

Sean, then you'd have to press the mouse button opening up that page...
;-D (I'm thinking of George Jetson complaining about his brutal work
day. "I had to press THREE buttons.")

I kid because I care. Actually, I was going to put together
a "complete" list of addresses. But then, fearing the backlash of "you
can't just put people's email addresses on the newsgroups," I didn't.
I saw the teeth pulling Stephen had to do to get permission for
a "simple" one-time "duh, it's already published to the world so what's
the big deal" CD.

I understand people wanting to save their comments for a grand post at
the end. The flood of reviews is almost a Comp in itself, except
without the prizes, the voting or anything else that would make it a
Comp. ;-)

Maybe to the player "feedback" connotes a serious dissection of the
game, a critical review involving days of work? It shouldn't. I mean
you _could_ do so, but you don't gotsta. Just a one-liner of
recognition would be nice.

Some patronizing, subtle slam compliments to get you going:
"I liked the sentence you didn't mangle."
"I almost vaguely half-smiled once."
"Ummmm... interesting?"
"Nice parser!" ("But, I, uh, didn't write that.")
"Nice title." (followed by NOTHING.)
"Pretty font." (ditto.)
"I laughed out loud many times." ("But it was a Lovecraftian work set
during the Black Plague.")
"Loved the interaction pressing the space bar."

Other possibilities:
"I would have played your game but the exciting presidential debates
were on, and then I had to wash my hair. I had to get up early the
next day, too. It's not you, it's me. No, I can't play it Friday, or
Saturday. Call me next week sometime."

"It's no Everquest."

Jim
"The Compiler of Excuses, but not of people's publically available
addresses"
Berry

Richard Bos

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
wil...@mit.edu (Jake Wildstrom) wrote:

> Wile we're at it, I _stil_ don't get what's so disturbing about the line
> "let's call a spade a spade". Enlightenment please? Is "spade" also a racial
> epithet? I've never heard it.

Spades are black. Yes, that's about as subtle as your average racist
gets to be.

Richard

Paul O'Brian

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Sean T Barrett wrote:

> If there were a listing of games with contact addresses
> so I didn't have to open up games (or look for readmes
> in the game directories) I'd probably be more likely to
> go in little bursts of sending out comments to 5 or 6
> authors at a time, but the process as it stands is too
> inconvenient for me to ever feel sufficiently motivated.

The game descriptions in Comp00.z5 contain the author's email address,
when available. Maybe typing "X VERB" or "X AFTERMATH" is still more
effort than you want to make, but it's less effort than what you describe
above. Hope that's helpful.

--
Paul O'Brian obr...@colorado.edu http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~obrian
SPAG #22 is out, with a cornucopia of reviews and articles, including an

Andrew Plotkin

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
A.J. Franzman <afra...@aol.compute.com> wrote:
>> I really wanted there to be something special about the "black sain"
>> or whatever that was too. Instead, it was just another bland item.
>> "You see nothing unusual about the black sain."

>>WHAT IS SAIN?
> Beats me.

> I tried every obvious item just to see the game's response, including the
> cotton balls. Fortunately, the imps thought of that one too and prevented it's
> working.

> For those of you unfamiliar with the slang of the American south, "coon" is a
> synonym for a certain racial epithet starting with "n".

Huh. I probably never even thought of that interpretation when I first
played LGOP. (The idea of raccoon testicles would have seemed plenty
dirty enough for me.) What is the message you get when you try it?

(I assume the epithet you mean is "nigger".)

--Z

borogoves..."

mike_...@hotmail.com

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
J.D. Berry <jdb...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> Maybe to the player "feedback" connotes a serious dissection of the
> game, a critical review involving days of work? It shouldn't. I mean
> you _could_ do so, but you don't gotsta. Just a one-liner of
> recognition would be nice.

For what it's worth, I've e-mailed about a dozen+
authors, giving them feedback and transcript files.
I've been surprised by the lack of acknowledgment
from some of them. Oh well...

-- Mike

James Marshall

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
In article <8t4pcm$ah3$1...@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk> "Gunther Schmidl" <gsch...@gmx.at> writes:
>> Wile we're at it, I _stil_ don't get what's so disturbing about the line
>> "let's call a spade a spade". Enlightenment please? Is "spade" also a
>> racial epithet? I've never heard it.

>Someone being "as black as the ace of spades"

That I could see as being a racial remark. The previous one doesn't seem
as obvious to me. I've never associated the phrase "let's call a spade a
spade" to some racial context. Isn't that usually used just to say "let's
call it what it is"? A spade is also a small, hand-held shovel-like
gardening tool, so why can't that be the "spade" mentioned?

--
. . . . -- James Marshall (ORI) * ,
,. -- )-- , , . -- )-- , mars...@astro.umd.edu

Gunther Schmidl

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
> Wile we're at it, I _stil_ don't get what's so disturbing about the line
> "let's call a spade a spade". Enlightenment please? Is "spade" also a
racial
> epithet? I've never heard it.

Someone being "as black as the ace of spades"

-- Gunther

Gunther Schmidl

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
What Richard says: spades (the symbols on the cards) are black. So are the
people this epithet refers to.

-- Gunther

Adam J. Thornton

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
In article <8t4pcm$ah3$1...@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>,

The best corruption of this I ever heard was a description of someone or
something (I don't remember what) as being "black as the Ape Of Spain"
which has a wonderfully bizarre 15th-century feeling to it.

Matthew T. Russotto

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
In article <39f5852f$0$57...@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>,

Jake Wildstrom <wil...@mit.edu> wrote:
}In article <20001024003709...@ng-cc1.aol.com>,
}A.J. Franzman <afra...@aol.compute.com> wrote:
}>For those of you unfamiliar with the slang of the American south, "coon" is a
}>synonym for a certain racial epithet starting with "n".
}
}Well, it's also short for "racoon". I guess it really depends on context and
}geography.
}
}Wile we're at it, I _stil_ don't get what's so disturbing about the line
}"let's call a spade a spade". Enlightenment please? Is "spade" also a racial
}epithet? I've never heard it.

Yes. Same one. From the expression "black as the Ace of Spades", I
think. I've also seen it claimed to refer to a manual laborer
(i.e. one who might use the pointy-ended digging instrument).

Matthew T. Russotto

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
In article <20001024002502...@ng-cd1.aol.com>,

A.J. Franzman <afra...@aol.compute.com> wrote:
}>}This may not count, as it's actually an Inform library response:
}>}'Mild' swearing, like darn, etc. gets the response "Quite." For
}>} some reason, this has always struck me as such a
}>}(stereotypical, I know) British response. I can practically
}>}see the parser as a stock butler.
}>
}>Or perhaps as Robin Masters?
}
}Don't you mean Jonathan Q. Higgins?

That's him.

}Or WAS he Robin Masters? I remember the
}running gag about Magnum and Higgins going back and forth about it, and one
}episode in which Robin (supposedly) actually came to the estate for Magnum to
}save from being murdered, but was it ever definitively settled that Higgins was
}or was not Mr. Masters?

Higgins admitted it to Magnum in the final episode.... but then at the last
minute, told Magnum "I lied". So it was never settled. Cheezy
cop-out if you ask me...

Sean T Barrett

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
J.D. Berry <jdb...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>Maybe to the player "feedback" connotes a serious dissection of the
>game, a critical review involving days of work? It shouldn't. I mean
>you _could_ do so, but you don't gotsta. Just a one-liner of
>recognition would be nice.

I tend to play games a couple at a time, and I tend not to
be online at the time, and if I were, I still wouldn't want
to switch from game-playing mode to "tactful encouragement
mode" between every game.

Hence it makes more sense for me to write such messages
in little clusters at some other point in time; not because
I need lots of time to compose a serious response, but simply
because it's not the kind of thing I can do while playing
a game. Going back into each game to find the contact
address would be enough drudgery at that point that I'm
too lazy to do it.

Anyway, to respond to a different post, the fact that the contact
addresses are all available in comp00.z5 is sufficient for my
purposes, thanks.

[snip further witty evidence of Jim Berry being deprived of feedback]

SeanB

Gunther Schmidl

Oct 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/25/00
Andrew Plotkin wrote:

> Huh. I probably never even thought of that interpretation when I first
> played LGOP. (The idea of raccoon testicles would have seemed plenty
> dirty enough for me.) What is the message you get when you try it?

From TXDing the game file, something along the lines of "Let's just say
there's a male raccoon somewhere speaking in a very high-pitched voice."

-- Gunther

J.D. Berry

Oct 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/25/00
In article <8t4s6u$qjk$2...@cnn.Princeton.EDU>,

ad...@princeton.edu (Adam J. Thornton) wrote:

> The best corruption of this I ever heard was a description of someone
or
> something (I don't remember what) as being "black as the Ape Of Spain"
> which has a wonderfully bizarre 15th-century feeling to it.

Don't the Apes of Spain lie mainly on the seascape?

Jim

Adam J. Thornton

Oct 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/25/00
In article <8t6mfi$78s$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

J.D. Berry <jdb...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>In article <8t4s6u$qjk$2...@cnn.Princeton.EDU>,
> ad...@princeton.edu (Adam J. Thornton) wrote:
>> The best corruption of this I ever heard was a description of someone
>or
>> something (I don't remember what) as being "black as the Ape Of Spain"
>> which has a wonderfully bizarre 15th-century feeling to it.
>Don't the Apes of Spain lie mainly on the seascape?

No, they fall mainly from the trains.

Adam Conover

Oct 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/25/00
from doing a txd on enchanter on whim...

Routine R0251, 0 locals ()
Action routine for:
"gag OBJ with OBJ"

JE G65,#15 [TRUE] L0001
PRINT_RET "What a concept!"
L0001: JE Gca,#6b [TRUE] L0002
PRINT "With a "
PRINT_OBJ G65
PRINT_RET "?"
L0002: PRINT_RET "Grody to the max! Like, totally!"

Routine R0252, 0 locals ()
Action routine for:
"gross out OBJ"

TEST_ATTR G65,#1f [FALSE] L0001
PRINT_RET "Let's not be disgusting!"
L0001: PRINT_RET "Gag me with a spoon!"

i mean, who would have -tried- these verbs?

- adam

(take out the the 'removethis' from e-mail address to reply)

Sean O'Byrne

Oct 26, 2000, 9:00:56 AM10/26/00

> Action routine for:
> "gag OBJ with OBJ"
>
> JE G65,#15 [TRUE] L0001
> PRINT_RET "What a concept!"
>L0001: JE Gca,#6b [TRUE] L0002
> PRINT "With a "
> PRINT_OBJ G65
> PRINT_RET "?"
>L0002: PRINT_RET "Grody to the max! Like, totally!"
>
>Routine R0252, 0 locals ()
> Action routine for:
> "gross out OBJ"
>
> TEST_ATTR G65,#1f [FALSE] L0001
> PRINT_RET "Let's not be disgusting!"
>L0001: PRINT_RET "Gag me with a spoon!"

>i mean, who would have -tried- these verbs?

A Frank Zappa fan? Or a Valley Girl? Just be thankful they
didn't implement the zircon-encrusted tweezers.

**********************
Sean O'Byrne
sean....@anu.edu.au
**********************

afr...@my-deja.com

Oct 26, 2000, 8:52:39 AM10/26/00

> I've never associated the phrase "let's call a spade a
> spade" to some racial context. Isn't that usually used just to
say "let's
> call it what it is"? A spade is also a small, hand-held shovel-like
> gardening tool, so why can't that be the "spade" mentioned?

The catch is that the spade in question is both a digging impliment
_and_ a racial epithet. So the phrase will always have that other
connotation attached. Replacing the offending term with another
gardening implement would sort everything out... (perhaps a ho?)

AFROBOT

Richard Bos

Oct 26, 2000, 10:42:07 AM10/26/00
afr...@my-deja.com wrote:

> > I've never associated the phrase "let's call a spade a
> > spade" to some racial context. Isn't that usually used just to
> > say "let's
> > call it what it is"? A spade is also a small, hand-held shovel-like
> > gardening tool, so why can't that be the "spade" mentioned?
>
> The catch is that the spade in question is both a digging impliment
> _and_ a racial epithet. So the phrase will always have that other
> connotation attached. Replacing the offending term with another
> gardening implement would sort everything out... (perhaps a ho?)

No, it wouldn't. Racists would still be fuckheads, one and all, and we'd
have given in to them. Besides, the phrase was there before the abuse
was. Let _them_ replace their term. A spade will remain a spade in my
vocabulary, and it won't be a human being. Ever.

Richard

Carl Muckenhoupt

Oct 26, 2000, 11:02:29 AM10/26/00
On Thu, 26 Oct 2000 12:52:39 GMT, afr...@my-deja.com wrote:

>The catch is that the spade in question is both a digging impliment
>_and_ a racial epithet. So the phrase will always have that other
>connotation attached. Replacing the offending term with another
>gardening implement would sort everything out... (perhaps a ho?)

Well, you could always call a trough a trough. That's how the phrase
went originally. The version with "spade" is the result of a
mistranslation from Greek.

Liza Daly

Oct 26, 2000, 11:28:09 AM10/26/00
mike_...@hotmail.com wrote:
: J.D. Berry <jdb...@my-deja.com> wrote:

: > Maybe to the player "feedback" connotes a serious dissection of the
: > game, a critical review involving days of work? It shouldn't. I mean
: > you _could_ do so, but you don't gotsta. Just a one-liner of
: > recognition would be nice.

: >

: For what it's worth, I've e-mailed about a dozen+

: authors, giving them feedback and transcript files.
: I've been surprised by the lack of acknowledgment
: from some of them. Oh well...

I got Mike's reply, and I hugely appreciated the feedback.
But I was only halfway through his game at the time, and
didn't want to reply until I had something to say besides
"thanks."

I'm just slow, not unappreciative. :)

--Liza

--
http://www.retina.net/~liza/

Mike Sousa

Oct 26, 2000, 8:41:02 PM10/26/00

Liza Daly wrote:

> : For what it's worth, I've e-mailed about a dozen+
> : authors, giving them feedback and transcript files.
> : I've been surprised by the lack of acknowledgment
> : from some of them. Oh well...
>
> I got Mike's reply, and I hugely appreciated the feedback.
> But I was only halfway through his game at the time, and
> didn't want to reply until I had something to say besides
> "thanks."
>
> I'm just slow, not unappreciative. :)
>
> --Liza

Just to clarify, I was _surprised_ that some of the authors didn't acknowledge
the feedback only because some of the recent threads had authors craving it
(feedback). I knew it was appreciated, though. :)

Also, my intention was not to illicit response(s) for AWE. I figured as a
player that is also an author, it was the least I could do for fellow authors
since I can't vote -- Miss Congeniality aside, of course!

Cheers,
-- Mike

Duncan Stevens

Oct 28, 2000, 2:27:40 PM10/28/00
> >}This may not count, as it's actually an Inform library response:
> >}'Mild' swearing, like darn, etc. gets the response "Quite." For
> >} some reason, this has always struck me as such a
> >}(stereotypical, I know) British response. I can practically
> >}see the parser as a stock butler.

In older versions of Inform, the response was something like "It's good that
you can express your frustration in such a mild way," which is also pretty
funny.

--Duncan

A.J. Franzman

Nov 15, 2000, 2:52:15 AM11/15/00

Only in Lewd mode (which I didn't remember.) In the other two modes, it can't
be done because the T-remover will only hold ONE object and the pair of cotton
balls is two objects.