Lost New York 1.1, and a contest

Nulldogma

Aug 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/12/96

As of a couple of hours ago, I have uploaded Mac, DOS, and .gam versions
of Lost New York v. 1.1 to ftp.gmd.de. The files -- which are currently
sitting in /incoming/if-archives, but will doubtless soon migrate to
/if-archive/unprocessed and thence* to their proper homes, are as follows:

LOSTNYPC.ZIP: DOS zipped archive
lostny.sit: Mac Stuffit archive
lostny.zip: Zipped archive with a .gam file, plus other documentation
lostny.egg: (see below)

Version 1.1 of Lost New York fixes several minor bugs from v. 1.0.x,
cleans up the onscreen hints (which are, of course, disabled in the
version at GMD), and adds additional clues for a couple of puzzles that
were difficult to solve without the hints. It also features a new EXITS
command, which lists all the obvious exits in each location -- a feature
much welcomed by a couple of mapping-phobic testers of mine.

If you are a registered user of Lost New York 1.0.x, you can get an
e-mailed uuencoded copy of the registered v. 1.1 by e-mailing me at
ne...@echonyc.com. (Don't e-mail my AOL address; I can only send the file
from the ECHO address.)

And ... oh, yeah, I mentioned something about a contest...

THE CONTEST

As an I-F author, there's nothing I like better than writing witty
like less than thinking of all you racing through my game, eager to reach
the finish line but not stopping to explore all the nooks and crannies I
cleverly crafted for you.

So, to encourage exploration (and have a little fun), I've created the
Lost New York Easter Egg Hunt. Listed in the file lostny.egg are 10
phrases that can be generated by the game under certain conditions. Some
are relatively easy, some are completely obscure; some are new to version
1.1, others have been around since beta-testing days. The first person to
e-mail me a description of how to get each of the 10 responses will win
the grand prize: a copy of Jeff Kisseloff's _You Must Remember This_, a
fantastic oral history of turn-of-the-century** Manhattan. (If I can
corner Jeff next time I see him, it may even be an autographed copy.)

In the unlikely event that no one has claimed the prize by January 1,
1996, I'll put out a call for whoever has found the most eggs. In the
event of a tie, I'll flip a coin. (A real coin, not one of Andrew's
made-up ones.)

That's it. Happy gaming.

Neil

* Ha! Used it in a sentence!

** Regardless of whether it started in 1900 or 1901.***

*** Ha! Got in references to both long-running off-topic r.a.i-f threads!
Neil deMause ne...@echonyc.com
http://www.echonyc.com/~wham/neild.html

Susan

Aug 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/12/96

>In the unlikely event that no one has claimed the prize by January 1,
>1996, I'll put out a call for whoever has found the most eggs. In the
^) s/b 7 or 8?

>event of a tie, I'll flip a coin. (A real coin, not one of Andrew's
>made-up ones.)

Well, someone is going to do it.

* Susan * <Sus...@ix.netcom.com>

Dave Seybert

Aug 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/13/96

In article <3210227c...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>, Sus...@ix.netcom.com
(Susan) wrote:

> >In the unlikely event that no one has claimed the prize by January 1,
> >1996, I'll put out a call for whoever has found the most eggs. In the
> ^) s/b 7 or 8?
> >event of a tie, I'll flip a coin. (A real coin, not one of Andrew's
> >made-up ones.)
>
> Well, someone is going to do it.

Actually, I've been wanting to read "You must remember this for a while,
so I'm in as well. Off once, more to New York!

With tongue firmly in cheek,

Dave

Nulldogma

Aug 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/13/96

> >In the unlikely event that no one has claimed the prize by January 1,
> >1996, I'll put out a call for whoever has found the most eggs. In the
> ^) s/b 7 or 8?

Oops. I don't suppose I can convince you that since I started counting
from the year 0, I'm still one behind?

(It's 1997, of course.)

Neil