IF Art Show 2008

1 view

Doe

Mar 24, 2008, 3:32:58 PM3/24/08
Yes, it's that time again (I almost forgot, duh ;-)).

I haven't had time to update the web pages, but the rules will be the
same as last year.

The deadline is Friday, May 2nd.

Go here for the details. The juding panel will be announced later.

http://members.aol.com/iffyart/

HAVE FUN! Looking forward to your entries.

Doe :-)

S. John Ross

Apr 2, 2008, 3:18:42 PM4/2/08

> Yes, it's that time again (I almost forgot, duh ;-)).

For those of us who have no idea what this is, could anyone [OP or
otherwise] offer a brief summary? I visited the website and couldn't
quite make heads or tails of it :( Some kind of comp highlighting IF
that isn't a game, per se, but rather an exploration of a scene or
idea? Something like that? Help :)

Emily Short

Apr 2, 2008, 9:42:11 PM4/2/08

Yes, that's about it. The idea is to create pieces that are more about
exploration and experience than they are about overcoming obstacles.
It's also partly about enjoying the interactivity for its own sake:
the rules encourage authors to lavish a lot of attention on filling
out the experience as richly as possible with lots of tactile detail
and appeals to other senses, too.

There's usually a panel of judges who select winners in each of
several categories ("Portrait" for NPCs, "Landscape" for geographical
areas, "Still Life" for just an object or two, sometimes "Event" for a
plot happening of some kind) and a "Best of Show". The judges often
also provide reviews which are put up at the same time that the Art
Show becomes available to the public. So it's a little different from
the usual public-voting kind of competition, and you get to read a set
of critiques right up front.

S. John Ross

Apr 2, 2008, 11:27:48 PM4/2/08
> Yes, that's about it. The idea is to create pieces that are more about
> exploration and experience than they are about overcoming obstacles.
> It's also partly about enjoying the interactivity for its own sake:
> the rules encourage authors to lavish a lot of attention on filling
> out the experience as richly as possible with lots of tactile detail
> and appeals to other senses, too.

Groovy.

> There's usually a panel of judges who select winners in each of
> several categories ("Portrait" for NPCs, "Landscape" for geographical
> areas, "Still Life" for just an object or two, sometimes "Event" for a
> plot happening of some kind) and a "Best of Show". The judges often
> also provide reviews which are put up at the same time that the Art
> Show becomes available to the public. So it's a little different from
> the usual public-voting kind of competition, and you get to read a set
> of critiques right up front.

Hm. Cool. That kind of design sounds like a nice bit of fun/
exercise ...

Thanks very much for the elaboration!

Fergus Mcneill

Apr 5, 2008, 6:13:23 AM4/5/08
I find all the competitions are stupid. Emily short encourages/bullies
everyone into writing small easy games as she can't complete any.
I say ignore the lamers that can't work out puzzles.

"Emily Short" <ems...@mindspring.com> wrote in message