McDream Minicomp

ChicagoDave

Jul 23, 2006, 1:30:18 PM7/23/06
So this will be a lot easier than I had hoped.

We have a winner!

Eric Eve submitted Dreadwine.

Lacking any other submissions, there is no need for a vote.

You can download this from http://64.81.228.29/Dreadwine.zip and I will
submit it to the archive.

David

Eric Eve

Jul 23, 2006, 2:02:58 PM7/23/06
"ChicagoDave" <david.c...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Well, I suppose it's nice to win, but it's disappointing to do so by
default - quite apart from anything else I was looking forward to
looking at the other entries! (And I had got the impression from
postings round here that other people were working on MCDream
games - but never mind).

Anyway, I'm sorry this comp wasn't better supported after you went
to all the trouble to set it up.

-- Eric

Arnel Legaspi

Jul 23, 2006, 2:56:35 PM7/23/06
Eric Eve wrote:
> Well, I suppose it's nice to win, but it's disappointing to do so by
> default - quite apart from anything else I was looking forward to
> looking at the other entries! (And I had got the impression from
> postings round here that other people were working on MCDream
> games - but never mind).

I'm not sure about the others, but I *was* working on one. But I got
inundated with other "Real Life (tm)" concerns, so... there it is.

Hopefully there will be a next time -- even if there won't be any
prizes, I'd like to join. To finish a piece of well-polished IF is
already a good goal.

Emily Short

Jul 23, 2006, 9:32:46 PM7/23/06

I'm sorry there weren't more, but this was intriguing. The scenery and
grey figures reminded me a bit of _Momo_, though I'm not sure that was
at all intentional.

I only got one ending, though, and I am not completely happy with it.
Has anyone been able to...

...get Sandra to get into the boat?

JDC

Jul 23, 2006, 11:55:22 PM7/23/06

Arnel Legaspi wrote:
> I'm not sure about the others, but I *was* working on one. But I got
> inundated with other "Real Life (tm)" concerns, so... there it is.

I too considered entering, but then my wife brought home Violet and
Bruce, and since then all of my dreams have been about...Kittens!

Granted, this would have been apropos, but I can only work at home in
brief interludes now...

-JDC

Eric Eve

Jul 24, 2006, 3:23:07 AM7/24/06
"Emily Short" <ems...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> I'm sorry there weren't more, but this was intriguing. The scenery
> and
> grey figures reminded me a bit of _Momo_, though I'm not sure that
> was
> at all intentional.

Since I've never heard of _Momo_ I can assure you it isn't! But I'm
glad it intrigued you!

> I only got one ending, though, and I am not completely happy with
> it.
> Has anyone been able to...

> ...get Sandra to get into the boat?

Hm. I'm not sure how far you'd want me to reply to this directly. At
this point I'll just say I tried to stay within the parameters of
the original dream, so far as I could remember it (but if you want a
more direct response, look beyond the second spoiler space).

So far as the endings are concerned: one of them represents (more or
less, with a little dramatic license) how I recall my dream ending.
The other occurs if the player hasn't found the 'proper' ending with
a certain amount of time, as a way of ensuring the piece comes to
*some* end. I could say more, but again I'll leave it after the
second spoiler space, in case you don't want me to.

There's no way to get Sandra into the boat (it didn't happen in the
dream, so it doesn't happen in the game). My recollection of the
dream is that the river presented itself as a potential method of
escape, but not one that was followed, I *think* because 'Sandra'
declined it (but this may be a later rationalization to make
narrative sense of my dream memories). However, attempting to use
the boat does enable something else.

I'm not sure which of the two endings you found. The 'proper' ending
is, I think, probably the better of the two (depending how you
evaluate 'better' in this context), and if you reached an ending
before the game time reached 5 pm you've found the 'proper' ending.
If that's the one you weren't completely happy with, then I can only
apologize for my dreams! (Removes tongue from cheek) Or, to put it
another way, since the aim of the Comp was to capture the sense of
the dream, I thought it important *not* to tidy up the ending to
give better narrative closure that would have been false to the
original dream.

-- Eric

Emily Short

Jul 24, 2006, 4:08:01 AM7/24/06

Eric Eve wrote:
> "Emily Short" <ems...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> >

> > I'm sorry there weren't more, but this was intriguing. The scenery
> > and
> > grey figures reminded me a bit of _Momo_, though I'm not sure that
> > was
> > at all intentional.
>
> Since I've never heard of _Momo_ I can assure you it isn't! But I'm
> glad it intrigued you!

Ah -- a strange book by Michael Ende that had an effect on me in
childhood: eerie grey men moving through cities, stealing something
important from the citizens without anyone realizing it. I tried
rereading it sometime more recently and realized that it was kind of
preachy and obvious for an older audience, but some of the imagery
stays with me all the same.

> So far as the endings are concerned: one of them represents (more or
> less, with a little dramatic license) how I recall my dream ending.
> The other occurs if the player hasn't found the 'proper' ending with
> a certain amount of time, as a way of ensuring the piece comes to
> *some* end. I could say more, but again I'll leave it after the
> second spoiler space, in case you don't want me to.

Aha, I've got both of them now.

> I'm not sure which of the two endings you found. The 'proper' ending
> is, I think, probably the better of the two (depending how you
> evaluate 'better' in this context), and if you reached an ending
> before the game time reached 5 pm you've found the 'proper' ending.
> If that's the one you weren't completely happy with, then I can only
> apologize for my dreams! (Removes tongue from cheek)

Heh. I was hoping there was some way to save her in the boat; but I can
hardly complain about the dream logic...

Reiko

Jul 24, 2006, 10:22:16 AM7/24/06
ChicagoDave wrote:
> Lacking any other submissions, there is no need for a vote.

Where are notices about these competitions posted? I think we all know
about the main annual competition, and I remember seeing several
threads about the Italian comp, but I have to say that this thread is
the first that I've ever heard about this particular comp. You might
get more submissions if more people knew about it.

~Reiko

Reiko

Jul 24, 2006, 10:27:58 AM7/24/06
Sorry, I did a search and I see that there was one other thread
announcing it, but somehow I completely missed it. Still, I do check
this newsgroup fairly often, so it's rather strange to suddenly come
across a thread saying that there's a winner of a comp I never saw
announced in the first place.

I have vivid dreams, too, so it's one I might have tried to enter.
Maybe next time...

~Reiko

ErW...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2006, 4:14:18 AM7/26/06
ChicagoDave wrote:
> So this will be a lot easier than I had hoped.
>
> We have a winner!
>
> Eric Eve submitted Dreadwine.
>
> Lacking any other submissions, there is no need for a vote.

This is kind of odd. I could have sworn that I submitted an entry.

Erik Wennstrom

Timofei Shatrov

Jul 26, 2006, 9:34:49 AM7/26/06
On 26 Jul 2006 01:14:18 -0700, ErW...@gmail.com tried to confuse
everyone with this message:

That was just a dream! :)

--
|Don't believe this - you're not worthless ,gr---------.ru
|It's us against millions and we can't take them all... | ue il |
|But we can take them on! | @ma |
| (A Wilhelm Scream - The Rip) |______________|