[Comp] Too late to change my title?

1 view
Skip to first unread message

Jess and Carl Knoch

unread,
Nov 18, 2002, 11:05:18 AM11/18/02
to
If possible, I would like to officially change the title of my 2002 IF Comp
entry from "TOOKiE'S SONG" to "Tookie's Song." It was a newbie mistake (I
thought everyone did titles in all caps) and I hate, hate, HATE the all
caps. I humbly beg that anyone who reads this message please forgive my
mistake and pretend it was "Tookie's Song" all along.

Thank you.

Jessica Knoch


Andrew Plotkin

unread,
Nov 18, 2002, 11:43:53 AM11/18/02
to

Heh. I forgive your mistake. :)

The original version you entered will remain in the IF Archive. (We
keep each year's IFComp entries in their original form, for historic
reasons.) However, a lot of IFComp authors release updated versions
(bug fixes, improvements, etc) and the Archive keeps those, too (in a
separate directory).

--Z

"And Aholibamah bare Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah: these were the borogoves..."
*
* Make your vote count. Get your vote counted.

Magnus Olsson

unread,
Nov 18, 2002, 12:15:54 PM11/18/02
to
In article <arb5c9$mne$1...@reader1.panix.com>,

Andrew Plotkin <erky...@eblong.com> wrote:
>Here, Jess and Carl Knoch <jessan...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> If possible, I would like to officially change the title of my 2002 IF Comp
>> entry from "TOOKiE'S SONG" to "Tookie's Song." It was a newbie mistake (I
>> thought everyone did titles in all caps) and I hate, hate, HATE the all
>> caps. I humbly beg that anyone who reads this message please forgive my
>> mistake and pretend it was "Tookie's Song" all along.
>
>Heh. I forgive your mistake. :)

Me too.

>The original version you entered will remain in the IF Archive. (We
>keep each year's IFComp entries in their original form, for historic
>reasons.)

There's also the general phenomenon that once you've released a piece
of software, old versions will continue to live on and pop up every now
and then. So the capitalized title will probably come back and haunt you
for the rest of your life. :-)

Just out of curiosity: was the lowercase "i" in "TOOKiE" also a mistake?

--
Magnus Olsson (m...@df.lth.se)

Adam Thornton

unread,
Nov 18, 2002, 12:25:48 PM11/18/02
to
In article <arb78a$786$1...@news.lth.se>, Magnus Olsson <m...@df.lth.se> wrote:
>In article <arb5c9$mne$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
>Andrew Plotkin <erky...@eblong.com> wrote:
>>Here, Jess and Carl Knoch <jessan...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>> I humbly beg that anyone who reads this message please forgive my
>>> mistake and pretend it was "Tookie's Song" all along.
>>Heh. I forgive your mistake. :)
>Me too.

I don't!

If I ever meet your dog, I'm going to greet him with a friendly,

"How's it going, TOOK-i-E?!" Yes, with three syllables, and the first
and last really loud. That'll show you. And him.

So, do you really have a bloodhound, and is he really named Tookie? Or
is the game not really that autobiographical. I mean, obviously the
cat-alien part was autobiographical, because those bastards are
everywhere. And they keep using my Zen garden as a litter box.

Adam

Jess and Carl Knoch

unread,
Nov 18, 2002, 1:24:38 PM11/18/02
to
"Magnus Olsson" wrote...
>
> Andrew Plotkin wrote:

> >Here, Jess and Carl Knoch wrote:
> >> If possible, I would like to officially change the title of my 2002 IF
Comp
> >> entry from "TOOKiE'S SONG" to "Tookie's Song." It was a newbie mistake
(I
> >> thought everyone did titles in all caps) and I hate, hate, HATE the all
> >> caps. I humbly beg that anyone who reads this message please forgive
my
> >> mistake and pretend it was "Tookie's Song" all along.
> >
> >Heh. I forgive your mistake. :)
>
> Me too.

Thank goodness.

>
> >The original version you entered will remain in the IF Archive. (We
> >keep each year's IFComp entries in their original form, for historic
> >reasons.)
>
> There's also the general phenomenon that once you've released a piece
> of software, old versions will continue to live on and pop up every now
> and then. So the capitalized title will probably come back and haunt you
> for the rest of your life. :-)
>
> Just out of curiosity: was the lowercase "i" in "TOOKiE" also a mistake?
>

Uh, unfortunately no. I was trying to distinguish it from all the other
titles which I assumed would be capitalized as a matter of course. This was
all from the Inform "story" constant, which (I read somewhere, I'm sure --
DM4?) is capitalized because of tradition.

Jess


Jess and Carl Knoch

unread,
Nov 18, 2002, 1:28:24 PM11/18/02
to
"Adam Thornton" wrote...
> Magnus Olsson wrote:
> >
> >Andrew Plotkin wrote:

> >>Here, Jess and Carl Knoch wrote:
> >>> I humbly beg that anyone who reads this message please forgive my
> >>> mistake and pretend it was "Tookie's Song" all along.
> >>Heh. I forgive your mistake. :)
> >Me too.
>
> I don't!
>
> If I ever meet your dog, I'm going to greet him with a friendly,
>
> "How's it going, TOOK-i-E?!" Yes, with three syllables, and the first
> and last really loud. That'll show you. And him.
>
> So, do you really have a bloodhound, and is he really named Tookie? Or
> is the game not really that autobiographical. I mean, obviously the
> cat-alien part was autobiographical, because those bastards are
> everywhere. And they keep using my Zen garden as a litter box.
>
> Adam

Nope, no dog anymore. I used to have an elkhound, a breed which hunts by
scent. But he died. Thanks for bringing it up.

Jess


Jess and Carl Knoch

unread,
Nov 18, 2002, 4:53:46 PM11/18/02
to
"Jess and Carl Knoch" wrote...

Sorry... it's true what they say that "in Usenet, no one can tell you're
joking." I did have a dog, and he did die, but it was over a decade ago. I
think I'll quit while I'm ahead.

:-).

Jess


Edward Lacey

unread,
Nov 18, 2002, 4:57:52 PM11/18/02
to
"Jess and Carl Knoch" <jessan...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:2d8C9.27855$6g.70...@news1.news.adelphia.net...

I thought that the odd capitalisation fitted in well with the cheerfully
silly tone of the game. Actually, I was more confused about what the "song"
meant (that is, I know what "Tookie's Song" referred to within the game, but
I didn't really see why it was called a song).

--

Edward Lacey
Replace "close" with "open" to reply


Adam Thornton

unread,
Nov 18, 2002, 5:44:43 PM11/18/02
to
In article <KjdC9.29615$6g.71...@news1.news.adelphia.net>,

Jess and Carl Knoch <jessan...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>Sorry... it's true what they say that "in Usenet, no one can tell you're
>joking." I did have a dog, and he did die, but it was over a decade ago. I
>think I'll quit while I'm ahead.
>
>:-).

Ah. Well, contrary to appearances, I'm glad I didn't actually piss you
off. I was mostly trolling for other scenting-dog aficionados here on
r*if. So, uh....anyone out there into tracking competition? Anyone
else do canine search-and-rescue work?

Adam

Mike Sousa

unread,
Nov 18, 2002, 8:28:04 PM11/18/02
to

Adam Thornton wrote:
> Ah. Well, contrary to appearances, I'm glad I didn't actually piss you
> off. I was mostly trolling for other scenting-dog aficionados here on
> r*if. So, uh....anyone out there into tracking competition? Anyone
> else do canine search-and-rescue work?

I have two beagles, the younger one is show quality. She's an
incredible hunter and once in a while will bring me a "present". It
used to be acceptable but now that I have kids it sorta freaks them out.
Easter will never be the same in our house.

I'm afraid the only search and rescue is to find the remains and dispose
of them properly.

Adam Thornton

unread,
Nov 18, 2002, 9:44:46 PM11/18/02
to
In article <3DD993C...@attbi.com>,

Mike Sousa <mjsousa_R_...@attbi.com> wrote:
> Easter will never be the same in our house.

"See, kids? I *told* you there was an Easter bunny! And now I tell
you, there *was* an Easter bunny!"

Adam

Magnus Olsson

unread,
Nov 18, 2002, 6:15:54 AM11/18/02
to
+ User FidoNet address: 1:396/4
From: m...@df.lth.se (Magnus Olsson)

In article <arb5c9$mne$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
Andrew Plotkin <erky...@eblong.com> wrote:

>Here, Jess and Carl Knoch <jessan...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> If possible, I would like to officially change the title of my 2002 IF Comp
>> entry from "TOOKiE'S SONG" to "Tookie's Song." It was a newbie mistake (I
>> thought everyone did titles in all caps) and I hate, hate, HATE the all
>> caps. I humbly beg that anyone who reads this message please forgive my
>> mistake and pretend it was "Tookie's Song" all along.
>

>Heh. I forgive your mistake. :)

Me too.

>The original version you entered will remain in the IF Archive. (We


>keep each year's IFComp entries in their original form, for historic
>reasons.)

There's also the general phenomenon that once you've released a piece
of software, old versions will continue to live on and pop up every now
and then. So the capitalized title will probably come back and haunt you
for the rest of your life. :-)

Just out of curiosity: was the lowercase "i" in "TOOKiE" also a mistake?

--
Magnus Olsson (m...@df.lth.se)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The FidoNet News Gate (New Orleans LA USA) +
+ The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Adam Thornton

unread,
Nov 18, 2002, 6:25:48 AM11/18/02
to
+ User FidoNet address: 1:396/4
From: ad...@fsf.net (Adam Thornton)

In article <arb78a$786$1...@news.lth.se>, Magnus Olsson <m...@df.lth.se> wrote:

>In article <arb5c9$mne$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
>Andrew Plotkin <erky...@eblong.com> wrote:
>>Here, Jess and Carl Knoch <jessan...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>> I humbly beg that anyone who reads this message please forgive my
>>> mistake and pretend it was "Tookie's Song" all along.
>>Heh. I forgive your mistake. :)
>Me too.

I don't!

If I ever meet your dog, I'm going to greet him with a friendly,

"How's it going, TOOK-i-E?!" Yes, with three syllables, and the first
and last really loud. That'll show you. And him.

So, do you really have a bloodhound, and is he really named Tookie? Or
is the game not really that autobiographical. I mean, obviously the
cat-alien part was autobiographical, because those bastards are
everywhere. And they keep using my Zen garden as a litter box.

Adam

Jess and Carl Knoch

unread,
Nov 18, 2002, 5:05:18 AM11/18/02
to
+ User FidoNet address: 1:396/4
From: "Jess and Carl Knoch" <jessan...@mindspring.com>

If possible, I would like to officially change the title of my 2002 IF Comp
entry from "TOOKiE'S SONG" to "Tookie's Song." It was a newbie mistake (I
thought everyone did titles in all caps) and I hate, hate, HATE the all

caps. I humbly beg that anyone who reads this message please forgive my


mistake and pretend it was "Tookie's Song" all along.

Thank you.

Jessica Knoch

Andrew Plotkin

unread,
Nov 18, 2002, 5:43:53 AM11/18/02
to
+ User FidoNet address: 1:396/4
From: Andrew Plotkin <erky...@eblong.com>

Here, Jess and Carl Knoch <jessan...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> If possible, I would like to officially change the title of my 2002 IF Comp
> entry from "TOOKiE'S SONG" to "Tookie's Song." It was a newbie mistake (I
> thought everyone did titles in all caps) and I hate, hate, HATE the all
> caps. I humbly beg that anyone who reads this message please forgive my
> mistake and pretend it was "Tookie's Song" all along.

Heh. I forgive your mistake. :)

The original version you entered will remain in the IF Archive. (We


keep each year's IFComp entries in their original form, for historic

reasons.) However, a lot of IFComp authors release updated versions
(bug fixes, improvements, etc) and the Archive keeps those, too (in a
separate directory).

--Z

"And Aholibamah bare Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah: these were the borogoves..."
*
* Make your vote count. Get your vote counted.

Jess and Carl Knoch

unread,
Nov 18, 2002, 7:24:38 AM11/18/02
to
+ User FidoNet address: 1:396/4
From: "Jess and Carl Knoch" <jessan...@mindspring.com>

"Magnus Olsson" wrote...
>
> Andrew Plotkin wrote:

> >Here, Jess and Carl Knoch wrote:
> >> If possible, I would like to officially change the title of my 2002 IF
Comp
> >> entry from "TOOKiE'S SONG" to "Tookie's Song." It was a newbie mistake
(I
> >> thought everyone did titles in all caps) and I hate, hate, HATE the all
> >> caps. I humbly beg that anyone who reads this message please forgive
my
> >> mistake and pretend it was "Tookie's Song" all along.
> >
> >Heh. I forgive your mistake. :)
>

> Me too.

Thank goodness.

>
> >The original version you entered will remain in the IF Archive. (We
> >keep each year's IFComp entries in their original form, for historic
> >reasons.)
>

> There's also the general phenomenon that once you've released a piece
> of software, old versions will continue to live on and pop up every now
> and then. So the capitalized title will probably come back and haunt you
> for the rest of your life. :-)
>
> Just out of curiosity: was the lowercase "i" in "TOOKiE" also a mistake?
>

Uh, unfortunately no. I was trying to distinguish it from all the other


titles which I assumed would be capitalized as a matter of course. This was
all from the Inform "story" constant, which (I read somewhere, I'm sure --
DM4?) is capitalized because of tradition.

Jess

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jess and Carl Knoch

unread,
Nov 18, 2002, 7:28:24 AM11/18/02
to
+ User FidoNet address: 1:396/4
From: "Jess and Carl Knoch" <jessan...@mindspring.com>

"Adam Thornton" wrote...


> Magnus Olsson wrote:
> >
> >Andrew Plotkin wrote:
> >>Here, Jess and Carl Knoch wrote:
> >>> I humbly beg that anyone who reads this message please forgive my
> >>> mistake and pretend it was "Tookie's Song" all along.
> >>Heh. I forgive your mistake. :)
> >Me too.
>

> I don't!
>
> If I ever meet your dog, I'm going to greet him with a friendly,
>
> "How's it going, TOOK-i-E?!" Yes, with three syllables, and the first
> and last really loud. That'll show you. And him.
>
> So, do you really have a bloodhound, and is he really named Tookie? Or
> is the game not really that autobiographical. I mean, obviously the
> cat-alien part was autobiographical, because those bastards are
> everywhere. And they keep using my Zen garden as a litter box.
>
> Adam

Nope, no dog anymore. I used to have an elkhound, a breed which hunts by


scent. But he died. Thanks for bringing it up.

Jess

RootShell

unread,
Nov 25, 2002, 9:31:37 AM11/25/02
to
Hi Jess

I dont think that's really a problem, but if it pleases you i will start
calling your game "TOOKiE'S SONG" "Tookie's Song", as soon as i download it
that is :)

by the way, jess and Carl (husband?) you both wrote the game ? hehehehe
that's not in the IFComp Rules... husband and wife writting games to enter
the comp... bad bad girl & boy :)

best wishes and luck

Rootshell

"Jess and Carl Knoch" <Jess.and....@p0.f4.n396.z1[.]fidonet[.]org>
escreveu na mensagem news:0002...@net396.fidonet.org...

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages