Good Beginner's IF

kc2...@yahoo.com

Mar 24, 2007, 12:41:00 PM3/24/07
Hi everyone,

I am new to the world of IF, and I started out with the game
"Everybody Loves a Parade" by Cory Sandifer, but it seems to be quite
difficult for me. Are there any good introductory IF games which are
easy enough for a beginner? I hope to complete some of these games
first, and then move onto some of some of the harder stuff. I also
hope to gain a good basic knowledge of IF commands and concepts/
techniques. What would you recommend? Thanks!

-Mike

Tom

Mar 24, 2007, 1:21:21 PM3/24/07
kc2...@yahoo.com wrote in news:1174754460.457728.52310
@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am new to the world of IF, and I started out with the game
> "Everybody Loves a Parade" by Cory Sandifer, but it seems to be quite
> difficult for me. Are there any good introductory IF games which are
> easy enough for a beginner?

The Underoos that Ate New York

Simple, quite funny.

http://mirror.ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/pc/underoos.zip

Emily Short

Mar 24, 2007, 6:08:41 PM3/24/07

There's also a substantial list of easy-to-medium-difficulty IF, and
an introduction to standard commands, at

http://www.microheaven.com/IFGuide/index.html

u...@mail.ru

Mar 25, 2007, 12:25:40 AM3/25/07

Uncle Zebulon's Will

Toonesia

Ditch Day Drifter is very good for beginners; however, it features a
"classic" maze. Since I assume you've got no IF experience whatsoever,
you might like the concept;) (although most players don't).

Zork: The Undiscovered Underground is quite fun and not difficult, but
it's supposed to be even more fun for those who played the original
Zork games. IOW, you still can complete and enjoy it if you never have
played any of the original Zork games, but some of the game's jokes
will go over your head.

Valentine

Glenn P.,

Mar 25, 2007, 4:57:12 AM3/25/07
On 24-Mar-07 at 9:41am -0700, <kc2...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Are there any good introductory IF games which are easy enough for

> a beginner?... What would you recommend?

If you can lay hands on either of 'em, the Infocom games "Wishbringer"
and "Seastalker" are both Introductory Level games, and both very good
for beginners.

In fact, if you can find the "Infocards" that go with "Seastalker"
(I have them in electronic form somewhere if you should need them),
"Seastalker" actually proves to be a difficult game to LOSE, since
the game offers the player hints (unsolicited and gratis!) at a
drop of the proverbial hat.

These hints are in the form of "If you want a hint, consult the
third hint on Infocard #2, and put the word [relavent word, phrase,
or name] in the blank space." If I recall correctly, there were a
total of seven Infocards, each one with three hints on it, and
each one with a key word or phrase missing, so that you'd need
BOTH the Infocard AND the relevant word or phrase from the game
to obtain the hint.

In theory, you could always avoid looking up the hint -- but who
can resist that sort of temptation? :)

-- _____ %%%%%%%%%% "Glenn P.," <C128UserD...@FVI.Net> %%%%%%%%%
_( Y )_ "I am a sheep, telling shepherds what only a sheep can tell
(:_~*~_:) them. And now I start my bleating."
(_)-(_) --LEWIS, C. S.: "Fern-Seed & Elephants".

:: Take Note Of The Spam Block On My E-Mail Address! ::