The 2009 Interactive Fiction Competition is Underway

Stephen Granade

Oct 1, 2009, 11:59:43 PM10/1/09
You know what would enliven this October? Playing the IF Competition
games, that's what! All information is available at
http://ifcomp.org/. You may download the games from
http://ifcomp.org/comp09/download.html and record your votes at
http://ifcomp.org/vote/

Stephen

--
Stephen Granade
stephen...@granades.com

Boluc Papuccuoglu

Oct 2, 2009, 3:56:15 AM10/2/09
On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 22:59:43 -0500, Stephen Granade
<stephen...@granades.com> wrote:

>You know what would enliven this October? Playing the IF Competition
>games, that's what! All information is available at
>http://ifcomp.org/. You may download the games from
>http://ifcomp.org/comp09/download.html and record your votes at
>http://ifcomp.org/vote/
>
>Stephen

Is the Comp09 and the ifarchive page incomplete or are there NO TADS
games this year? Was there a boycott? A strike? Did I miss something?
(haven't been reading the newsgroups the past few months)

Boluc

Stephen Granade

Oct 2, 2009, 9:42:33 AM10/2/09
Boluc Papuccuoglu <bolucPERIOD...@REMOVETHISaknet.com.tr>
writes:

There were no TADS games entered. There were several planned, judging
from the information entered ahead of time, but none were uploaded
before the deadline.

Conrad

Oct 3, 2009, 4:42:08 AM10/3/09
On Oct 2, 9:42 am, Stephen Granade <stephen-use...@granades.com>
wrote:
> Boluc Papuccuoglu <bolucPERIODpapuccuo...@REMOVETHISaknet.com.tr>

> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 22:59:43 -0500, Stephen Granade
> > <stephen-use...@granades.com> wrote:
>
> >>You know what would enliven this October? Playing the IF Competition
> >>games, that's what! All information is available at
> >>http://ifcomp.org/. You may download the games from
> >>http://ifcomp.org/comp09/download.htmland record your votes at

> >>http://ifcomp.org/vote/
>
> >>Stephen
>
> > Is the Comp09 and the ifarchive page incomplete or are there NO TADS
> > games this year? Was there a boycott? A strike? Did I miss something?
> > (haven't been reading the newsgroups the past few months)
>
> There were no TADS games entered. There were several planned, judging
> from the information entered ahead of time, but none were uploaded
> before the deadline.

Yeah, it's a tricky language. I like it; but it's not simple.

Conrad.

kabusho_mus...@hotmail.com

Oct 3, 2009, 7:43:34 AM10/3/09
On 2 Oct, 04:59, Stephen Granade <stephen-use...@granades.com> wrote:
> You know what would enliven this October? Playing the IF Competition
> games, that's what! All information is available athttp://ifcomp.org/. You may download the games fromhttp://ifcomp.org/comp09/download.htmland record your votes athttp://ifcomp.org/vote/
>
> Stephen
>
> --
> Stephen Granade
> stephen-use...@granades.com

Interestingly, there are only 24 games this year, the lowest since the
first competition in '95. Doesn't seem like a good sign.

Conrad

Oct 3, 2009, 11:54:43 PM10/3/09
On Oct 3, 6:43 pm, "chephren.mans...@googlemail.com"

> Interestingly, there are only 24 games this year, the lowest since the
> first competition in '95. Doesn't seem like a good sign.

480 hours of IF isnt enough for you?

Ye-Gods..

C.

Mike Snyder

Oct 4, 2009, 12:47:54 AM10/4/09
"Conrad" <conra...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> C.

I think you mean 48. :)

And that assumes every game pushes the limit. I'm finding, so far, that many
don't.

--- Mike.

dott.Piergiorgio

Oct 4, 2009, 5:37:39 AM10/4/09
chephren...@googlemail.com ha scritto:

> Interestingly, there are only 24 games this year, the lowest since the
> first competition in '95. Doesn't seem like a good sign.

Well, IMVHO what really count is the average vote, not the numbers of IF
in competition (sadly some earlier IFComp has their fair share of shoddy
& badly designed IF, and I can count at least a pair of cases of
intentionally bad IF and surely an illegal abuse (that .z5 whose print
the source code of a DRM crack)

Personally, I have chosen to not partecipate to the IFComp in all these
years, at least not until I have at least publicly released something
outside the various Comps.

my 2 �c, of course, and

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.

Poster

Oct 5, 2009, 7:08:23 AM10/5/09
In article <E1_xm.4875$Rt2....@tornado.fastwebnet.it>,
"dott.Piergiorgio" <dott.Pierg...@KAIGUN.fastwebnet.it> wrote:

> chephren...@googlemail.com ha scritto:
>
> > Interestingly, there are only 24 games this year, the lowest since the
> > first competition in '95. Doesn't seem like a good sign.
>
> Well, IMVHO what really count is the average vote, not the numbers of IF
> in competition (sadly some earlier IFComp has their fair share of shoddy
> & badly designed IF, and I can count at least a pair of cases of
> intentionally bad IF and surely an illegal abuse (that .z5 whose print
> the source code of a DRM crack)

I agree with the above statement. The IF Comp has been a magnet for all
kinds of trash IF. That we see less of it is a good thing.

Also, quite a few major games have been released outside of the comp,
such as Blue Lacuna, Inside Woman, and so on. There was a thread about
this a few months ago. I don't think it's true that interest in IF
itself has decreased, but if it had, # of games submitted to the IF Comp
isn't enough to conclude that.

The IF Comp is largely a popularity contest for short to medium-sized
games. Maybe people got tired of trying to win a popularity contest?

--
Poster

www.intaligo.com I6 libraries, doom metal, Building
sturmdrangif.wordpress.com Game development blog / IF commentary
Seasons: fall '09 -- One-man projects are prone to delays.

Conrad

Oct 5, 2009, 8:48:33 AM10/5/09
On Oct 4, 12:47 am, "Mike Snyder" <wy...@prowler-pro.com> wrote:
> "Conrad" <conradc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Yes indeed.

C.

Conrad

Oct 5, 2009, 8:52:00 AM10/5/09
On Oct 5, 7:08 am, Poster <pos...@nospam.com> wrote:
> In article <E1_xm.4875$Rt2.2...@tornado.fastwebnet.it>,
>
>  "dott.Piergiorgio" <dott.PiergiorgioNI...@KAIGUN.fastwebnet.it> wrote:
> > chephren.mans...@googlemail.com ha scritto:

> > > Interestingly, there are only 24 games this year, the lowest since the
> > > first competition in '95. Doesn't seem like a good sign.
>
> > Well, IMVHO what really count is the average vote, not the numbers of IF
> > in competition (sadly some earlier IFComp has their fair share of shoddy
> > & badly designed IF, and I can count at least a pair of cases of
> > intentionally bad IF and surely an illegal abuse (that .z5 whose print
> > the source code of a DRM crack)
>
> I agree with the above statement. The IF Comp has been a magnet for all
> kinds of trash IF. That we see less of it is a good thing.

As the proud author of one of last year's trash entries in the IF
Comp, I take great exception to your tone.

Conrad.

Message has been deleted