[announce] dino-comp!

Adam Cadre

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
"Are there any text games prominently featuring dinosaurs? If not,
does anyone besides me think it would be cool?"
--Matthew Amster-Burton, 1996

Let's find out! In honor of Matthew's anniversary, February 29th,
I am announcing Dino-Comp, an IF non-contest much like 1998's
Chicken Comp, only with more dinosaurs and fewer chickens. What I'm
looking for are very short IF games -- if you spend more than a
handful of afternoons on this, you're missing the point -- which,
like the quote above says, prominently feature dinosaurs. *How*
the dinosaurs figure into the game is entirely up to you.

Send your dino-games to di...@adamcadre.ac or tell me where to fetch
them by the evening of March 31st (ie, before I go to sleep.) Games
will be posted on some sort of dino-page on April 1st.

Good luck!

-----
Adam Cadre, Sammamish, WA
http://adamcadre.ac

dcorn...@my-deja.com

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
In article <38BB7E...@adamcadre.ac>,

re...@adamcadre.ac wrote:
> "Are there any text games prominently featuring dinosaurs? If not,
> does anyone besides me think it would be cool?"
> --Matthew Amster-Burton, 1996

Grrrrr....

Between Visual Inform, a new baby in the house, and work - where exactly
am I supposed to find time for this?

Frick a frack a frick a frack a fri....

I'm already thinking...Sleestak (sp?) would be cool too...

Jarb

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

meni...@pixi.com

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00

> Grrrrr....
>
> Between Visual Inform, a new baby in the house, and work - where
exactly
> am I supposed to find time for this?
>
> Frick a frack a frick a frack a fri....
>
> I'm already thinking...Sleestak (sp?) would be cool too...
>
> Jarb

And time travel portals, and panels with weird-colored gems. Oh, yes -
the mind boggles...

At the risk of someone making a contest about this in four years, are
there any IF games written about the 70s? How about games about TV
shows from the 70s - besides Dr Who...

J.D. Berry

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
In article <89habb$ai0$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

meni...@pixi.com wrote:

> And time travel portals, and panels with weird-colored gems. Oh, yes -
> the mind boggles...
>
> At the risk of someone making a contest about this in four years, are
> there any IF games written about the 70s? How about games about TV
> shows from the 70s - besides Dr Who...

Arrrrrgh! No one must post until my game comes out! My game is
centered around television shows from the 60s-80s. The next post will
name my characters, I suppose.

:-)
Jim

Kevin Forchione

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
<meni...@pixi.com> wrote in message news:89habb$ai0$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> And time travel portals, and panels with weird-colored gems. Oh, yes -
> the mind boggles...
>
> At the risk of someone making a contest about this in four years, are
> there any IF games written about the 70s? How about games about TV
> shows from the 70s - besides Dr Who...

Dr Who ran from Nov 23 1963 to somewhere in the early 90's I believe. I
rather lost track after Tom Baker...

--Kevin

Lelah Conrad

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
I *will* not waste another month of my life writing a mini-comp game.

I *will* not waste another month of my life writing a mini-comp game.

Repeat X 50....

Jess Kiddon

Jon Ingold

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
>Dr Who ran from Nov 23 1963 to somewhere in the early 90's I believe. I
>rather lost track after Tom Baker...

Shame. It got rather better after Tom Baker.. well, a long time after Tom
Baker, true, but still.

Jon

Steve Young

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00

Jon Ingold <ji...@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message

It did? From my recollections, the Tom Baker years were the peak of
Doctor Who shows, with good stories and characters. It was after he went
that they slowly deteriorated until they reached rock bottom with the
awful Sylvester McCoy.

Steve

Speccy at the Movies:
http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/youngsteve/Home.htm

Adam Cadre

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
Steve Young wrote:
> It did? From my recollections, the Tom Baker years were the peak of
> Doctor Who shows [...]

Hi. If there's nothing about the dino-comp in your post, please
change the subject line to indicate such. Thanks much.

Joe Mason

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
Steve Young <young...@tinyonline.co.uk> wrote:

>> Shame. It got rather better after Tom Baker.. well, a long time after
>Tom
>> Baker, true, but still.
>
>It did? From my recollections, the Tom Baker years were the peak of
>Doctor Who shows, with good stories and characters. It was after he went
>that they slowly deteriorated until they reached rock bottom with the
>awful Sylvester McCoy.

Did you watch all of Sylvester McCoy's? I only saw his first season (which
was awful) but I've heard they turned it around completely after that.

But I liked the two before him a lot! Peter (Davidson? Is that right?) was
probably my favourite.

Joe

j_mcw...@my-deja.com

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
re...@adamcadre.ac wrote:
> "Are there any text games prominently featuring dinosaurs? If not,
> does anyone besides me think it would be cool?"
> --Matthew Amster-Burton, 1996
>
> Let's find out! In honor of Matthew's anniversary, February 29th,
> I am announcing Dino-Comp, an IF non-contest much like 1998's
> Chicken Comp, only with more dinosaurs and fewer chickens. What I'm
> looking for are very short IF games -- if you spend more than a
> handful of afternoons on this, you're missing the point -- which,
> like the quote above says, prominently feature dinosaurs. *How*
> the dinosaurs figure into the game is entirely up to you.

Sounds like fun. Count me in. Although, there is one thing I would like
to know:

> Games will be posted on some sort of dino-page on April 1st.

Is this an April fools joke? Just wondering.

j_mcwright

John Hill

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
In article <Ddgw4.109512$45.57...@news2.rdc1.on.home.com>, Joe Mason
<jcm...@uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> Did you watch all of Sylvester McCoy's? I only saw his first season (which
> was awful) but I've heard they turned it around completely after that.

Sylvester McCoy was, um.
Oh, it's been a while. What's the word?
Killed off.
Written out.
Mangled.
Eviscerated.
Vivisected.
Regenerated.
Regenerated in the most entertaining way, out of all the Doctors.
I'll always be fond of him for that.

John

--
One equals spamblock.

Joe Mason

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
John Hill <john...@onefuse.net> wrote:
>Sylvester McCoy was, um.
>Oh, it's been a while. What's the word?
>Killed off.
>Written out.
>Mangled.
>Eviscerated.
>Vivisected.
>Regenerated.
>Regenerated in the most entertaining way, out of all the Doctors.
>I'll always be fond of him for that.

Speaking of which:

I Am Doctor Who
(When I'm Sixty-Four)

If I get crushed by sixteen ton weights
I get right back up
If I end up murdered by a ninja horde
I'm only dead until I get bored
Death is a bitch, and then you're alive
That's my point of view
I am quite brilliant and quite resilient
Cuz I'm Doctor Who

(slowly)
I think this is great
No matter what my fate
I regenerate

Driving my TARDIS through time and space
All dimensions, too
An intergalactic roller coaster ride
My companions there at my side
Fighting the Daleks time and again
That is what I do
I am a Time Lord (no, not a crime lord)
I am Doctor Who

(From FASS 1996: FASStic Surgery. FASS is a University of Waterloo student
"theatre" company - and I use the word theatre advisedly.)

Joe

John Hill

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
In article <PGPw4.118387$45.60...@news2.rdc1.on.home.com>, Joe Mason
<jcm...@uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> I Am Doctor Who
> (When I'm Sixty-Four)
>
> If I get crushed by sixteen ton weights
> I get right back up
> If I end up murdered by a ninja horde
> I'm only dead until I get bored
> Death is a bitch, and then you're alive
> That's my point of view
> I am quite brilliant and quite resilient
> Cuz I'm Doctor Who

It used to disturb me that they'd have to stop when they passed
thirteen. But I'm no longer disturbed.

Dinosaurs: I don't recall the Doctor ever traveling back to the
Mesozoic Era. I know he saw a dinosaur or two, but I don't think he
ever went back to Land of the Lost.

--
One equals spamblock

Jon Ingold

Mar 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/7/00

, but still.

>It did? From my recollections, the Tom Baker years were the peak of
>Doctor Who shows, with good stories and characters. It was after he went
>that they slowly deteriorated until they reached rock bottom with the
>awful Sylvester McCoy.

Sylvester McCoy was brilliant, especially his last season. Peter Davison was
pretty good too. Tom Baker had a habit of being just a little too silly.

Jon

WildCard

Mar 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/7/00
In article <8a2t2m$1cn$1...@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>,

Jon Ingold <ji...@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>Sylvester McCoy was brilliant, especially his last season. Peter Davison was
>pretty good too. Tom Baker had a habit of being just a little too silly.

I'm mopst familiar with John Pertwee, Tom Baker, and Peter Davison.
The Colin Baker I've ever seen is Trial of a Time Lord, so I won't
judge him on that alone. Same for the 2nd Doctor, who I only saw in
War Games. Never seen the original except in the first episode, and I
didn't like him there (then again, I understand that the 1st Doctor
got MUCH better after those first few stories) As for Mr. McCoy, I
want to see more of him before I pass judgement.

Of the three I'm familiar with, I liked Pertwee best due to his
stories. I agree that Tom Baker got too silly at times. As for Peter
Davison, he had some good stories as well, but I was getting tired of
the series by then, so that probably clouded my opinion of him for the
worse.

Wayne

James M. Power

Mar 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/7/00
FWIW,

I saw a few with the first doctor and I kind of liked the initial
premise - The Doctor didn't think humans were worth much effort, didn't
particularly like them, and if some of them got killed it really wasn't
any concern of his. I don't know how long that premise lasted.

-Jim

Steve Young

Mar 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/7/00

> >It did? From my recollections, the Tom Baker years were the peak of
> >Doctor Who shows, with good stories and characters. It was after he
went
> >that they slowly deteriorated until they reached rock bottom with the
> >awful Sylvester McCoy.
>

> Sylvester McCoy was brilliant, especially his last season. Peter
Davison was
> pretty good too. Tom Baker had a habit of being just a little too
silly.

More than Sylvester McCoy?
Mind you, compared to that dreadful film that was made a couple of years
ago, the Sylvester McCoy years were a model of respectability. In fact
he was the best thing in it which said it all.

Steve

L. Ross Raszewski

Mar 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/8/00
In article <8a3gam$ujr$1...@hiram.io.com>, WildCard wrote:
>In article <8a2t2m$1cn$1...@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>,
>Jon Ingold <ji...@cam.ac.uk> wrote:
OB>

>Of the three I'm familiar with, I liked Pertwee best due to his
>stories. I agree that Tom Baker got too silly at times. As for Peter
>Davison, he had some good stories as well, but I was getting tired of
>the series by then, so that probably clouded my opinion of him for the
>worse.

I often find myself in a strange sort of place regarding the
magnificent seven (eight). My favorite doctori is probably Jon
Pertwee, because I like his style of acting the part best
However, I tend to prefer the actual story style of the troughton
years better, on average, though my experience has been limited mostly
to novelizations (Damn you pamela nash!) Baker's episodes get a
little grating on the nerves after a while, though, OTOH, possibly due
to the sheer number of episodes in which he stars, he seems ot have
the lion's share of the really good stories (Personally, I'm a bit of
a cyberman junkie, and Davidson's no help there -- baker's only
slightly better). McCoy has become somethogn of a fixture in my mind,
since he was (a) the incumbent when I became a regular fan, and (2)
the preponerance of Post-TV-series fiction in which he stars (Yeah. I
wrote one. It's not something I'm sure I'
m proud of.), but I got quite sick and tired of the cartmel
-there's-something-dar-and-mysterious-that-you-didn't-know-about-masterplan
. So, I took a step back for a while and decided I'de let my favorite
doctor be Paul McGann. :-)

--
L. Ross Raszewski
Loyola College in Maryland

Jon Ingold

Mar 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/8/00

>More than Sylvester McCoy?
>Mind you, compared to that dreadful film that was made a couple of years
>ago, the Sylvester McCoy years were a model of respectability. In fact
>he was the best thing in it which said it all.

Okay, so when Sylvester McCoy was hired his only claim to fame was world
record for number of ferret's down trousers, but he was quite a brooding
character I thought. The last season; go and look at the last season - it's
not silly it's, well, bloody briliant.

Jon

Jon Ingold

Mar 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/8/00
>the preponerance of Post-TV-series fiction in which he stars (Yeah. I
>wrote one. It's not something I'm sure I'
>m proud of.),

Wow, really? Which one?

Jon

David Brain

Mar 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/8/00
In article <38c5e...@news1.vip.uk.com>, young...@tinyonline.co.uk (Steve
Young) wrote:

> > Sylvester McCoy was brilliant, especially his last season. Peter
> Davison was
> > pretty good too. Tom Baker had a habit of being just a little too
> silly.
>
> More than Sylvester McCoy?

Yes. Even McCoy's first season wasn't as silly as some of the mid-to-late T.Baker
stuff, and the later stories were as dark as good early and late Baker. Very few
Who stories have no redeeming features of any description (even Trial of a Time
Lord turns out to be surprisingly good in retrospect) and some of the early McCoy
stories have interesting ideas buried under the panto designs.

Incidentally, where is Graham when we've suddenly got a Doctor Who thread?

--
David Brain
London, UK

Peter Smith

Mar 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/9/00
I've been watching the repeats on UK Gold (just come to the end of Peter
Davison's run.) Many of the serials leave one feeling the neighbour's cat
could write a better script. The Dr Who formula had worn threadbare with
all and sundry operating the Tardis??? A few serials however ("Genesis of
the Daleks" for example for me) deserve classic status.

What makes a good Dr Who serial is perhaps similar to what makes a good
adventure game.

Firstly a good story so it's more than just a procession of escapes and
chases (read puzzles.)

Secondly it makes good use of the medium. In "Genesis" there are effective
dramatic moments such as when the Daleks decide they don't need their
creator after all.

Thirdly a good ending. In "Genesis" you have the Doctor coming to terms
with not having prevented the Daleks coming to be.

Peter Smith.

Philip Goetz

Mar 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/9/00
> "Are there any text games prominently featuring dinosaurs? If not,
> does anyone besides me think it would be cool?"
> --Matthew Amster-Burton, 1996
>
> Let's find out! In honor of Matthew's anniversary, February 29th,
> I am announcing Dino-Comp, an IF non-contest much like 1998's
> Chicken Comp, only with more dinosaurs and fewer chickens. What I'm
> looking for are very short IF games -- if you spend more than a
> handful of afternoons on this, you're missing the point -- which,
> like the quote above says, prominently feature dinosaurs. *How*
> the dinosaurs figure into the game is entirely up to you.

Dibs on Bambi Meets Godzilla... um, no, maybe not.

Phil

Dave Zeriger

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00

Dinosaurs? Oh, my, yes. He fought the silliest rubber dinosaurs in the
history of rubber dinosaurs. I think that they actually just stopped by
the Museum of Natural History in New York and picked up some of those
"dinosaur-on-a-stick" things and waved them around offscreen. Frankly, I
find the scene where the third one had to fight off a green bat on a
string to be one of the great scenes in television history.

Oh, and later there was that thing with the Loch Ness Monster, if that
counts.

Dave Zeriger

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
In rec.games.int-fiction WildCard <wild...@fnord.io.com> wrote:
> In article <8a2t2m$1cn$1...@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>,
> Jon Ingold <ji...@cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>Sylvester McCoy was brilliant, especially his last season. Peter Davison was
>>pretty good too. Tom Baker had a habit of being just a little too silly.

> I'm mopst familiar with John Pertwee, Tom Baker, and Peter Davison.

> The Colin Baker I've ever seen is Trial of a Time Lord, so I won't
> judge him on that alone. Same for the 2nd Doctor, who I only saw in
> War Games. Never seen the original except in the first episode, and I
> didn't like him there (then again, I understand that the 1st Doctor
> got MUCH better after those first few stories) As for Mr. McCoy, I
> want to see more of him before I pass judgement.

The problem with the second one was that they for some reason decided to
destroy almost all of his stories. As for the first one, well,
inconsistent does it. I actually find the pilot to be a pretty good piece
of television, but you can't let one's preconceptions of the character get
in the way.

A lot of people dig the last season or two, but for my money they were so
busy trying to prove that they could do Serious Science Fiction that they
forgot to make it fun. I liked it best when it was just a kids' show.

Mel

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Dave Zeriger wrote:

> In rec.games.int-fiction John Hill <john...@onefuse.net> wrote:
> > In article <PGPw4.118387$45.60...@news2.rdc1.on.home.com>, Joe Mason
> > <jcm...@uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> > It used to disturb me that they'd have to stop when they passed
> > thirteen. But I'm no longer disturbed.

I think the main reason I'm not disturbed is that I'd just like to see
them get to thirteen.

> > Dinosaurs: I don't recall the Doctor ever traveling back to the
> > Mesozoic Era. I know he saw a dinosaur or two, but I don't think he
> > ever went back to Land of the Lost.

> Dinosaurs? Oh, my, yes. He fought the silliest rubber dinosaurs in the
> history of rubber dinosaurs. I think that they actually just stopped by
> the Museum of Natural History in New York and picked up some of those
> "dinosaur-on-a-stick" things and waved them around offscreen. Frankly, I
> find the scene where the third one had to fight off a green bat on a
> string to be one of the great scenes in television history.

That was fun. :> That was the one where this group of people were
trying to revert time to bring them back, wasn't it? (I don't remember
the name)

Odd thing is: it was that episode that got me into dinosaurs. :7

Obligatory on topic question: Are there any Doctor Who text adventures,
other than "Pyramids of Mars" and the other one written by the same guy?

> Oh, and later there was that thing with the Loch Ness Monster, if that
> counts.

Naw, uh yes, uh, I don't know.

Mel

pjs...@my-deja.com

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
meni...@pixi.com wrote:

> At the risk of someone making a contest about this in four years, are
> there any IF games written about the 70s? How about games about TV
> shows from the 70s - besides Dr Who...

How many Dr. Who-centered games are there? I know of three - one called
7Doctors, one called (I think ) Karn, and there was a third.

Any other good ones?

Paul

John Hill

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
Mel wrote:

> Dave Zeriger wrote:

> > Oh, and later there was that thing with the Loch Ness Monster, if that
> > counts.
>
> Naw, uh yes, uh, I don't know.

Depends on the structure of the animal's pelvis, specifically the
acetabulum. The distinguishing feature is that the femur is supported...

Oh no.

Mel

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
...funny how these things happen

John Hill wrote:

> Mel wrote:

> > Dave Zeriger wrote:

Good point. If I recall correctly, that does disqualify the critter I
would expect Nessie to be. I don't remember very well what theirs
looked like anymore. (except bad) I really wasn't thinking about it,
more about whether or not it really belonged with prehistoric creatures.

> Oh no.

It's not that bad. ;>

Mel