Another Silent Lurker Speaks Out: IF Comp '97

Phoebe M. Fuentes

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

Hi folks!

I've posted my reviews of the competition's entries on my Fiction Interactive page. Please come and check it
out at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~phoebef/fictioninteractive/fictioninteractive.html

I hope you enjoy it!

Phoebe

Phoebe M. Fuentes pho...@earthlink.net
Dans ce miroir /\ rorrim siht nI
Je suis enclos vivant et vrai / \ laer dna evila desolcne ma I
Comme on imagine les anges \ / slegna senigami eno sA
Et non comme sont les reflets \/ snoitcelfer sa ton dnA
- Guillaume Apollinaire
Phoebe's Heaven On Earth: http://home.earthlink.net/~phoebef/

Phoebe M. Fuentes

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

ct wrote:

> In article <34BA9124...@earthlink.net>, Phoebe M. Fuentes

> <pho...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > I've posted my reviews of the competition's entries on my Fiction
> > Interactive page.
>
> And very nice it looks too. But _please_ tell me you don't really play
> games in cyan on magenta! That was possibly the least appealing screenshot
> I've seen all year...
>
> regards, ct

*Chuckle*

Actually yeah, but this color configuration looks better on my monitor
than in the GIF image.

I found out the results of the competition just yesterday and I wanted
to set up a page on the competition as soon as possible. I only
adjusted the font size on my WinFrotz to make the writing on the screen
more legible and then took a screen shot of that. I too have to admit
that it looks cheesy in contrast with the black and white motif of my
page, but I didn't want to spend time thinking up of a better color
scheme. When I have some time, I'll fiddle around with the WinFrotz
decor.

Anyways, thanks for visiting and the feedback!

ct

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

Stefan Blixt

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

Phoebe M. Fuentes wrote:
>I found out the results of the competition just yesterday and I wanted
>to set up a page on the competition as soon as possible.

You did this in a day? Wow! Also, when peering through my fingers
at the review of my, admittedly, horrible pile of bugs and grammar
errors, I saw a quote from the song "Tempted" by Squeeze. I love
that song. Thanks Phoebe!

/Stefan Blixt at ludat.lth.se (username dat93sbl)
--
_____
/ _| \
|__ | _| Stefan Blixt - dat93sbl at ludat.lth.se
| | | |

Phoebe M. Fuentes

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

Stefan Blixt wrote:

> You did this in a day? Wow! Also, when peering through my fingers
> at the review of my, admittedly, horrible pile of bugs and grammar
> errors, I saw a quote from the song "Tempted" by Squeeze. I love
> that song. Thanks Phoebe!

Aw, your entry wasn't as bad as you make it sound! I just wish I saw
the ending to it. Are you going to release another version with bug
fixes soon?

Yeah, your entry did make me think of "Tempted", especially when my
character was at the apartment cleaning up. You know what would be
cool? If you were able to include a MIDI or .WAV file of that song with
this game. I know Inform can do a lot of stuff and I know that there is
some sort of discussion in rec.arts.int-fiction, I think, about
including music files. Would it be possible?

Phoebe

PS: By the way, if you play guitar and you're interested, you can find
the chords, tablature and lyrics to this song in OLGA, the On-Line
Guitar Archive at:

http://www.olga.net/

It's got a staggering amount of guitar and song info there! It has a
list of sites you can choose from that's most convenient to your
location. Anyways, now I'm way off topic so I'm just going to shut up
now...

Den of Iniquity

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Phoebe M. Fuentes wrote:

>You know what would be cool? If you were able to include a MIDI or .WAV
>file of that song with this game. I know Inform can do a lot of stuff
>and I know that there is some sort of discussion in rec.arts.int-fiction,
>I think, about including music files. Would it be possible?

Of course one thing no-one seems to have mentioned yet is that you _can_
package song-files with games - they just can't be controlled by the game.
You just need multitasking interpreter and music-player software.

--
Den

tv's Spatch

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

Den of Iniquity made the baby Jesus cry by writing this:

> Of course one thing no-one seems to have mentioned yet is that you _can_
> package song-files with games - they just can't be controlled by the game.
> You just need multitasking interpreter and music-player software.

Heck, you could include high-quality graphics in Inform or TADS (or even
AGT) games; I just suspect most people lack the inherent ability to
uudecode text output in their heads.

--
spa...@javanet.com.andbacon has his wacky fun .sig back up. Rar.
More fun than culling Usenet for email addresses -- PUTPBAD!

Brock Kevin Nambo

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

tv's Spatch wrote in message ...

>Heck, you could include high-quality graphics in Inform or TADS (or even
>AGT) games; I just suspect most people lack the inherent ability to
>uudecode text output in their heads.

Yeah, but is there any reason why, say, WinFrotz couldn't do it?

--
http://come.to/brocks.place | World Domination Through Trivia!
oah123 (in chatquiz, 12/27/97): "did you guys know during the SPIN cycle the